Dog Discussion: Introduction Of New Puppy

Introduction Of New Puppy

Memememe
2003-10-14 10:40:06 EST
We have a 2 year old cocke spaniel, he is a very loving dog towards us but
he bark probably for ten minutes when he meets a new person, then he is fine
and is loving to them as well.

Recently (sunday) we bought a new puppy (mainly chocolat lab), 9 weeks old
(almost the size of the cocker by now), and tried to introduce them. We
tried making them meet at the park, which went ok, the cocker seemed scared
of the puppy because the puppy kept trying to play with him. After the park
we moved on to the backyard and thats when the growling started, the puppy
still doesnt complain but the cocker is really upset, mainly when the puppy
tries to get atention from us, if we are not in the room, they are fine with
each other, they dont play together or anything but they dont fight either.
So far the cocker hasnt hurt the puppy but has made advances looking like he
is going to hurt the little puppy but then he stops right before he touches
the puppy, as if trying to intimidate him.

We dont know what to do now to make their introduction smoother, or if we
should just leave them alone for a couple of weeks and it will all be fine?
we are mostly scared that the puppy is going to grow terrified of the cocker
or develop some behavior problem from the cockers constant growling at him.

Any advice is welcome.

Superlifer
2003-10-14 14:22:08 EST

"memememe" <[rem]casolorz[rem]@hot[rem]mail.com> wrote in message
> We have a 2 year old cocke spaniel, he is a very loving dog towards us but
> he bark probably for ten minutes when he meets a new person, then he is
fine
> and is loving to them as well.
>
> Recently (sunday) we bought a new puppy (mainly chocolat lab), 9 weeks old
> (almost the size of the cocker by now), and tried to introduce them. We
> tried making them meet at the park, which went ok, the cocker seemed
scared
> of the puppy because the puppy kept trying to play with him. After the
park
> we moved on to the backyard and thats when the growling started, the puppy
> still doesnt complain but the cocker is really upset, mainly when the
puppy
> tries to get atention from us, if we are not in the room, they are fine
with
> each other, they dont play together or anything but they dont fight
either.
> So far the cocker hasnt hurt the puppy but has made advances looking like
he
> is going to hurt the little puppy but then he stops right before he
touches
> the puppy, as if trying to intimidate him.
>
> We dont know what to do now to make their introduction smoother, or if we
> should just leave them alone for a couple of weeks and it will all be
fine?
> we are mostly scared that the puppy is going to grow terrified of the
cocker
> or develop some behavior problem from the cockers constant growling at
him.

> Any advice is welcome.

I don't think you have much to worry about. If your cocker's well socialized
then he will know dog etiquette as far as knowing how to behave around
puppies. Puppies have what you call a "puppy" license when it comes to
tolerance level; adult dogs will tolerate "rude" behaviors much more from
puppies than from adult dogs. However, if the puppy tests the patience of an
adult dog, the adult dog will often growl and sometime nip at the puppy to
teach it manners. So don't step in when your cocker growls at the puppy,
you're getting involved in dog politics and you don't want to do that.

If you witness any kind of confrontation between the dogs, and it doesn't
involve serious biting, but just growling and nipping, just chuck it up to
socialization. Your puppy's basically clueless how to act around adult dogs,
and he'll learn as your cocker teaches it how to act.

ZPL
2003-10-15 00:17:53 EST
They'll work it out. I'll bet the cocker took one look at the new guy's
feet and decided he had better get that pup trained, and soon.

"memememe" <[rem]casolorz[rem]@hot[rem]mail.com> wrote in message
> We have a 2 year old cocke spaniel, he is a very loving dog towards us but
> he bark probably for ten minutes when he meets a new person, then he is
fine
> and is loving to them as well.
>
> Recently (sunday) we bought a new puppy (mainly chocolat lab), 9 weeks old
> (almost the size of the cocker by now), and tried to introduce them. We
> tried making them meet at the park, which went ok, the cocker seemed
scared
> of the puppy because the puppy kept trying to play with him. After the
park
> we moved on to the backyard and thats when the growling started, the puppy
> still doesnt complain but the cocker is really upset, mainly when the
puppy
> tries to get atention from us, if we are not in the room, they are fine
with
> each other, they dont play together or anything but they dont fight
either.
> So far the cocker hasnt hurt the puppy but has made advances looking like
he
> is going to hurt the little puppy but then he stops right before he
touches
> the puppy, as if trying to intimidate him.
>
> We dont know what to do now to make their introduction smoother, or if we
> should just leave them alone for a couple of weeks and it will all be
fine?
> we are mostly scared that the puppy is going to grow terrified of the
cocker
> or develop some behavior problem from the cockers constant growling at
him.

> Any advice is welcome.

Memememe
2003-10-15 11:30:58 EST
you are both right, the grawling has gone down a lot, when htey are about to
fall sleep they dont care no more, they even slept next to each other last
night, too bad they took my side of the bed :-(

"ZPL" <ZPL@cox.net> wrote in message
> They'll work it out. I'll bet the cocker took one look at the new guy's
> feet and decided he had better get that pup trained, and soon.
>

> "memememe" <[rem]casolorz[rem]@hot[rem]mail.com> wrote in message
> > We have a 2 year old cocke spaniel, he is a very loving dog towards us
but
> > he bark probably for ten minutes when he meets a new person, then he is
> fine
> > and is loving to them as well.
> >
> > Recently (sunday) we bought a new puppy (mainly chocolat lab), 9 weeks
old
> > (almost the size of the cocker by now), and tried to introduce them. We
> > tried making them meet at the park, which went ok, the cocker seemed
> scared
> > of the puppy because the puppy kept trying to play with him. After the
> park
> > we moved on to the backyard and thats when the growling started, the
puppy
> > still doesnt complain but the cocker is really upset, mainly when the
> puppy
> > tries to get atention from us, if we are not in the room, they are fine
> with
> > each other, they dont play together or anything but they dont fight
> either.
> > So far the cocker hasnt hurt the puppy but has made advances looking
like
> he
> > is going to hurt the little puppy but then he stops right before he
> touches
> > the puppy, as if trying to intimidate him.
> >
> > We dont know what to do now to make their introduction smoother, or if
we
> > should just leave them alone for a couple of weeks and it will all be
> fine?
> > we are mostly scared that the puppy is going to grow terrified of the
> cocker
> > or develop some behavior problem from the cockers constant growling at
> him.
> >
> > Any advice is welcome.

ZPL
2003-10-15 21:05:02 EST
Hehe. Isn't it amazing how much room an animal can take up in the bed?

> you are both right, the grawling has gone down a lot, when htey are about
> fall sleep they dont care no more, they even slept next to each other last
> night, too bad they took my side of the bed :-(
>

> "ZPL" <ZPL@cox.net> wrote in message
> > They'll work it out. I'll bet the cocker took one look at the new guy's
> > feet and decided he had better get that pup trained, and soon.
> >

> > "memememe" <[rem]casolorz[rem]@hot[rem]mail.com> wrote in message
> > > We have a 2 year old cocke spaniel, he is a very loving dog towards us
> but
> > > he bark probably for ten minutes when he meets a new person, then he
is
> > fine
> > > and is loving to them as well.
> > >
> > > Recently (sunday) we bought a new puppy (mainly chocolat lab), 9 weeks
> old
> > > (almost the size of the cocker by now), and tried to introduce them.
We
> > > tried making them meet at the park, which went ok, the cocker seemed
> > scared
> > > of the puppy because the puppy kept trying to play with him. After the
> > park
> > > we moved on to the backyard and thats when the growling started, the
> puppy
> > > still doesnt complain but the cocker is really upset, mainly when the
> > puppy
> > > tries to get atention from us, if we are not in the room, they are
fine
> > with
> > > each other, they dont play together or anything but they dont fight
> > either.
> > > So far the cocker hasnt hurt the puppy but has made advances looking
> like
> > he
> > > is going to hurt the little puppy but then he stops right before he
> > touches
> > > the puppy, as if trying to intimidate him.
> > >
> > > We dont know what to do now to make their introduction smoother, or if
> we
> > > should just leave them alone for a couple of weeks and it will all be
> > fine?
> > > we are mostly scared that the puppy is going to grow terrified of the
> > cocker
> > > or develop some behavior problem from the cockers constant growling at
> > him.
> > >
> > > Any advice is welcome.

The Puppy Wizard
2003-10-15 21:06:44 EST
You've been arHOWEND long enough... enjoy your trHOWEble.

"memememe" <[rem]casolorz[rem]@hot[rem]mail.com> wrote in message
> We have a 2 year old cocke spaniel, he is a very loving dog
towards us but
> he bark probably for ten minutes when he meets a new person,
then he is fine
> and is loving to them as well.
>
> Recently (sunday) we bought a new puppy (mainly chocolat lab), 9
weeks old
> (almost the size of the cocker by now), and tried to introduce
them. We
> tried making them meet at the park, which went ok, the cocker
seemed scared
> of the puppy because the puppy kept trying to play with him.
After the park
> we moved on to the backyard and thats when the growling started,
the puppy
> still doesnt complain but the cocker is really upset, mainly
when the puppy
> tries to get atention from us, if we are not in the room, they
are fine with
> each other, they dont play together or anything but they dont
fight either.
> So far the cocker hasnt hurt the puppy but has made advances
looking like he
> is going to hurt the little puppy but then he stops right before
he touches
> the puppy, as if trying to intimidate him.
>
> We dont know what to do now to make their introduction smoother,
or if we
> should just leave them alone for a couple of weeks and it will
all be fine?
> we are mostly scared that the puppy is going to grow terrified
of the cocker
> or develop some behavior problem from the cockers constant
growling at him.

> Any advice is welcome.

Memememe
2003-10-15 22:10:44 EST
what really funny is that both dogs insist on spreading as much as possible
on the bed, and eventhough Yogi (the lab) is just a puppy (9 weeks old), he
is as big as the 2 yr old Cocker (Kido is his name).

> Hehe. Isn't it amazing how much room an animal can take up in the bed?
>
> "memememe" <[rem]casolorz[rem]@hot[rem]mail.com> wrote in message
> > you are both right, the grawling has gone down a lot, when htey are
about
> > fall sleep they dont care no more, they even slept next to each other
last
> > night, too bad they took my side of the bed :-(
> >

> > "ZPL" <ZPL@cox.net> wrote in message
> > > They'll work it out. I'll bet the cocker took one look at the new
guy's
> > > feet and decided he had better get that pup trained, and soon.
> > >

> > > "memememe" <[rem]casolorz[rem]@hot[rem]mail.com> wrote in message
> > but
> is
> > > fine

> > old
> We
> > > scared
> > > park
> > puppy
> > > puppy
> fine
> > > with
> > > either.
> > like
> > > he
> > > touches

> > we
> > > fine?
> > > cocker
> > > him.

ClippoPuppet
2003-10-16 08:06:11 EST
Last night Charity added the word "diagonally" to her vocabulary. ...as in,
"Charity, why do you HAVE to sleep DIAGONALLY across the bed!?" For a small
dog, she sure manages to use up a heck of a lot of bed when she falls
asleep!

--
Those days when I was young
Ah, those remembered well