Dog Discussion: Standard Poodle

Standard Poodle

Richard Miller
2006-04-06 20:20:47 EST
I have a 5 year old female golden Retriever and I would like to get her some
company. I want a large dog so I though maybe a standard poodle might do. It
needs to be a female because they both will be house dogs and I wonder how
they might get along. I will have a half acre so they will have lots of
room. I just don't know if this would be the right dog?

Richard

Diddy
2006-04-07 09:01:23 EST
"Richard Miller" <miller57@cox.net> composed these thoughts and posted
them news:ufiZf.1850$up2.1406@fed1read07:

> I have a 5 year old female golden Retriever and I would like to get
> her some company. I want a large dog so I though maybe a standard
> poodle might do. It needs to be a female because they both will be
> house dogs and I wonder how they might get along. I will have a half
> acre so they will have lots of room. I just don't know if this would
> be the right dog?
>
> Richard

they should. Individuals vary

A*@HotMail.Com
2006-04-07 16:01:00 EST
HOWEDY richard,

Richard Miller wrote:
> I have a 5 year old female golden Retriever and
> I would like to get her some company.

So you came here to ask the miserable lyin dog abusing
punk thug cowards and active acute chronic long term
incurable mental cases who can't train their own dogs,
for advice?

THAT'S INSANE. AIN'T IT.

> I want a large dog so I though maybe a standard poodle might do.

The Standard Poodle is probably the most versatile
dog in the WHOWEL WILD WORLD <{) ; ~ ) >

> It needs to be a female because they both will be house dogs

The miserable lyin dog abusing punk thug cowad active
acute chronic long term incurable mental cases you're
askin for advice can't even train their own opposite sex
dogs not to attack each other.

A DOG Is A Dog;
As A KAT Is A KAT;
As A BIRDY Is A BIRDY;
As A CHILD IS A CHILD;
As A SP-HOWES Is a SP-HOWES;
As A Mass Murderer Is A Mass Murderer.

ALL Critters Only Respond In
PREDICTABLE INNATE NORMAL NATURAL
INSTINCTIVE REFLEXIVE Ways;
To Situations And Circumstances Of Their Environment
Which We Create For Them.

> and I wonder how they might get along.

"The Methods, Principles, And Philosophy Of Behavior
Never Change,
Or They'd Not Be Scientific And Would Not Obtain
Consistent, Reliable, Fast, Effective Results
For All Handler's
And All Dogs
AND ALL BEHAVIORS,
NEARLY INSTANTLY,
As Taught In Your FREE Copy Of The Puppy Wizard's FREE
WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual,"
The Puppy Wizard. <{} ; ~ ) >

In The Problem Animal Behavior BUSINESS
FAILURE MEANS DEATH.
SAME SAME,
For The Problem Child Behavior BUSINESS.

You GET The Critter You TRAINED

> I will have a half acre so they will have lots of room.

You can perimeter train them to stay on their own
pupperty even if you don't hve a fence despite what
the lyin dog abusing punk thug coward active acute
chronic long term incurable mental cases you're askin
for ADVICE tell you.

LIKE THIS:

From: Momi...@webtv.net (misty)
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:29:09 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: Jerry, why non-physical praise?

Beth wrote:
> So, jerry's techniques didnt' work for Peach?

Never had a chance to try them on her... I was still
using the e-fence and chains to keep her in the yard.

The suggestions I received here to keep Peach home were:
build a fence... wasn't going to happen.. we plan on
putting a modular home here within the next few years...
put more fence at the top of the pen I used so both dogs
could play bitey face w/o tangling, and similar suggestions.

Jerry was the only one to mention border training... but he
was kook supreme ;-P So I ignored him... no killfiles with
webtv.. at that time Jerry had his own troll, somewhat like
Candace, so the group was not very conducive to learning anything.

At one point I even b*tched about Jerry.

By the time I tried out Jerry's manual Peach had already
ran away.

Not very good at the google groups search but you'll find my
first post at "runaway dog message 30" within that thread
is mention of the dogs taking off and being gone for 2 days.
I stopped posting for a bit... my middle boy was devastated
that his dog was gone... Zelda came home but not her mom.

The next few posts from me were ones about/to Jerry.

Then Jerry made the WETM accessible for webbes, I put it
in my e-mail (no storage otherwise on webby unless you put
stuff on a webpage) and read it, read it and read it.

Once I understood what the concept was, I implemented it
on Zelda. It worked and I now have a great housedog!

I only regret that my own distrust of Jerry caused me to
lose another wonderful dog. Peach was an absolute gem with
little kids. I and my boys still miss her. Sometimes I
still look to see if she came home when we get back from trips.

Maybe Peach would still have ran away... I don't know
and never will....

~misty

---------------

From: "Jerry Howe" <jho...@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:16:59 -0500

Peach would be there sittin pretty had our pals not given
you a bum steer cause they're EMBARRASSED and AFRAID of
losing their careers and reputations....

Stick around, we're just startin to have FUN learning and
sharing...J;~)
---------------

"misty" <Momi...@webtv.net wrote in message:

I don't now whether Peach is dead or alive. I do know she's
not here with us. I really can't blame anyone here for her
loss.

I'm the one who ignored your advice. I did it because of
how you write/wrote. I was unwilling to accept the idea
that my using a shock collar could have any bearing on
Peach not wanting to stay home.

Up until I started using it my main concern had been
keeping my dogs in their own yard.

Once I started using the e-fence... well, then my concern
became how to keep them from running off for days on end.

I lost valuable training time becoming embroiled in the
anti-shock debate and the "Jerry sux" tirades.

I lost one dog but I have the bestest dog in the world now <g>
A Wits End Trained dog, one who is completely housetrained,
doesn't chew up stuff, stays in the yard, and doesn't bark all
the time.

IOW a great companion and friend.

Thanks Jerry!

---------------

misty" <Momi...@webtv.net> wrote in message

We just installed a PetSafe brand fence this Spring. Two
dogs, two collars We now have one dog and no collars.

Peach and Zelda would run thru the fence, not want to come
back in the yard and would run for days.

The last time, Peach didn't come back home.

I used the Wit's End Training Manual to learn how to train
my dog. She is now border trained. A few minutes each day
reinforces her desire to stay in the yard.

She no longer runs out into the road, I can stop her from
chasing cats and she no longer cringes when we walk around
the yard.

I can not say loud or long enough how much I hate the
e-fence and its collars. If you can't get a regular fence
then you need to train your dog.

I will never rely on an electronic collar to keep my dog
in our yard again.

The price was too high:-( ~misty

--------------------------------

"misty" <Momi...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Hi Cathy!

Yes I used The Wits End Method to train my girl, Zelda.
You can check the archives and see I'm a real person..

I post in misc.kids.breastfeeding, alt.cats rec.pets.cats.annecdotes
(not lately, my kitty died) rec.pets.dogs.behavior rec.pets.birds and
a ton of webtv firewalled ngs.

Zelda and her mom, Peach (RB) both loved to run the
neighborhood with my neighbors 2 male dogs. An e-fence
couldn't keep them home, chains pulled up and Peach could
jump/climb a 5 ft. fence.

I wrote in here for advice and felt like Jerry had jumped
down my throat. Upon re-reading his post to me..well..it
hit home hard that I was being abusive to my dog.

The thought of shocking my dog ever again makes me
want to puke.

Like I've said before... I might not like the way Jerry
treats some of the other posters but he gave me ( for _free_)
a way to teach myself and my dog.

I can let Zelda outside and not worry that a potty break
will mean she'll be gone for 2 days or, worse yet, not ever
come home...like her mom.

Zelda stopped chewing everything in sight once I started
applying Jerry's methods. One time of "bad slipper!" and
she never chewed another one up :-D

I don't post here a lot because I don't ave any problems
needing solved. I do join in occasionally or post informative
lnks. I just feel that my limited experience precludes me
from jumping in every thread <shrug> but I do read all of them.

If you want my phone number, e-mail me. We would have to
set up a time because I'm on the webbie a lot and we only
have 1 phone line.

~misty

=============

> I just don't know if this would be the right dog?

That so? The QUESTION IS, are YOU the right owner?
Seems you're a bit of a SLOW LEARNER otherWIZE
you wouldn't be askin LIARS DOG ABUSERS COWARDS
and ACTIVE ACUTE CHRONIC LONG TERM INCURABLE
MENTAL CASES for advice THEY AIN'T GOT <{) : ~ ( >

> Richard

Animal Behavior Forensic Sciences Research Laboratory

Subject: Pulling up the plants
Date: Mon, Oct 17 2005 5:13 am

HOWEDY Richard,

Richard Miller wrote:
> My 5 year old Golden Retreiver pulls up my plants.

Yeah. You've asked several times and The Amazing Puppy
Wizard was the ONLY WON to give you any advice. Doesn't
that tell you sumpthin, Richard?

> Anything I can do about it?

Yeah. You can study and follow the instructions in
your own FREE COPY of The Amazing Puppy Wizard's
100% CONSISTENTLY NEARLY INSTANTLY SUCCESSFUL FREE
WWW Wits' End Dog Trainging Method Manual or sprinkle
your lawn and plants with some nice vinegrette and
wish your doggy bone apetite, Richard.

There AIN'T NO OTHER SOLUTION.

The Amazing Puppy Wizard <{}; ~ ) >

From: "A Poor Shepherd Boy And His Dog"
<*.@MuchoMail.Com>
Date: 13 Sep 2005 13:07:08 -0700
Subject: Re: Pull the lawn up by the roots

Hello Richard,

Richard Miller wrote:
> What can you do when you have a dog that eats the lawn?

You can offer him a little vinegarette or you can
train him not to do that in just a few minutes.

> She goes out and sniff the lawn, eats the grass which is ok

That's normal although you may not want her to do
that if she's going to vomit as most dogs seem to
do after eating grass. Maybe it depends on the kind
of grass? Never gave it much though as a sheperd,
we're always looing for the best of grasses.

> but then she pulls it up by its roots.

Could be she's been watching them damned goats?
Maybe she's playing with it or could be she's got
a case of Pica, an obsessive compulsive behavior.

If it's an OCD, the more you try to prevent
her from doing it the more you will reinforce
the behavior or it will change to other, often
worse, seemingly non related TRAINsfer behaviors
or anxiety relief mechanisms.

If you have a herd of sheep for her to chase
you could maybe exercise that out of her on
a daily basis. At least till the behavior
changes to something she can engage in while
chasing sheep, like spinning in circles barking
whining or maybe taking seizures like those
silly feinting sheep you've probably seen on T.V.

> Now I have holes all in my lawn.

This will teach you how to break her obsession:

http://www.tinyurl.com/7bl5u

Enjoy!

A Poor Shepherd Boy And His Dog

From: AnimalBehaviorForensicSciencesResearchLaborat...@HushMail.Com
Date: 11 Sep 2005 21:34:51 -0700

HOWEDY Richard,

Richard Miller wrote:
> What can you do when you have a dog that eats the lawn?

Dogs often eat grass, it's good for them.

> She goes out and sniff the lawn, eats the grass which is ok

That's normal.

> but then she pulls it up by its roots.

Could be she's enjoying the sounds and smells of
the roots pulling up OR it COULD BE she's havin
an obsessive compulsive disorder or Pica.

> Now I have holes all in my lawn.

NO PROBLEMO. You can EXXXTINGUISH her behavior
or modify or put it on cue as you prefer.

<{#}: ~ } >< { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > Here's HOWE: < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > http://www.tinyurl.com/7bl5u < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } >< { ~ :{@}>

From: ThePuppyFae...@AniMail.Net
Date: 6 Sep 2005 11:19:40 -0700
Subject: Re: Eating the lawn

HOWEDY Richard,

Richard Miller wrote:
> What can you do when you move, plant a lawn, and
> your 5 year old Golden Retriever eats the lawn?

You can train him not to do that in about 5 minutes
if you know HOWE...

<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > Here's HOWE: < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > http://www.tinyurl.com/7bl5u < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>

From: AnimalBehaviorForensicSciencesResearchLaborat...@HushMail.Com -
Find messages by this author
Date: 16 Oct 2005 10:06:38 -0700

Subject: Re: Pulling up the plants

HOWEDY Richard,

Richard Miller wrote:
> My 5 year old Golden Retreiver pulls up my plants.

Your dog does that because he watches you and because
you reinforce her behavior by trying to stop her from
doin it.

The fastest way to TRAIN a dog or child to do ANY
behavior is to try to keep them from DOIN IT.

> Anything I can do about it?

Probably not...

Punishment Deranges Behavior.
"NO!" Does NOT Have Any Behavioral Function
EXCEPT
To DERANGE Behaviors.

Here's professor dermer pryor:

From: Marshall Dermer (der...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu)
Subject: Re: Jerry's Dog Training Manual
Date: 2001-07-12 06:49:13 PST

And how do we know this aspect of his
advice is right?

Jerry is not God and his manual is not the Bible.
His advice could be subject to an empirical analysis.

(Also, it is best to killfile posts from the
few regulars here who are either ill-tempered,
ill-mannered, or just plain ill.­),

--Marshall

"At this point, "No" does not have any behavioral function.
But, if you say "No,"pick up the puppy by its neck and
shake it a bit, and the frequency of the biting decreases
then you will have achieved too things.

First, the frequency of unwanted chewing has decreased;
and two, you have established "No" as a conditioned punisher.

How much neck pulling and shaking? Just the
minimum necessary to decrease the unwanted
biting.

**********IS THAT A CONSISTENT 5 SECONDS?************

When our dog was a puppy, "No" came before mild
forms of punishment (I would hold my dog's mouth
closed for a few seconds.) whereas "Bad Dog" came
before stronger punishement (the kind discussed above).

"No" is usually sufficient but sometimes I use "Bad Dog"
to stop a behavior. "Bad Dog" ALWAYS works," marshall
dermer, research professor of ANAL-ytic behaviorISM at
UofWI. For MOORE animal abuse, please visit dr p.

BWAHAHAHHAHAAAA!!!!!

That's INSANE. Ain't it.

Here's professor dermer AFTER gettin JERRYIZED:

"We Are Lucky To Have You, And More People Should
Come To Their Senses And Support Your Valuable Work.
God Bless The Puppy Wizard," Professor Marshall Dermer,
Dept Of ANAL-ytic Behavior, UofWI.

From: "George von Hilsheimer, Ph.D." <drv...@mindspring.com>
To: "Jerry Howe" <theamazingpuppywiz...@mail.com>
Subject: Alleged Professors of Animal Behavior
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:50:51 -0400

Dear Jerry, I paged through some of the "dog business"
and was astonished at the low quality of opinions arising
from professors of behavior analysis.

I had the very great privilege of meeting Sam Corson
(Pavlov's last Ph.D. student) and his dogs at Ohio
University. I even got to spend a night at Sam's house.

There is no question but that you are a spiritual brother
to Corson and to Pavlov, both of whom knew that the dog's
great capacity for love was the key to shaping doggie behavior.

Paradoxical reward and paradoxical fixing of attention are
both well documented Pavlovian techniques. Even so humorless
a chap as B.F. Skinner taught students like the Breland's whose
"The Misbehavior of Organisms" demonstrate the utility of your
methods and their deep roots in scientific (as opposed to
commercial) psychology.

George von Hilsheimer, Ph.D., F.R.S.H.
you may find my resume in Who's Who in
Science and Technology

From: "The Puppy Wizard" <ThePuppyWiz...@EarthLink.Net>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 17:26:31 GMT

Subject: Dr. George VonHilshimer Writes: "No Loving, No Learning."

HOWEDY People,

Perhaps the PROBLEM is "TOO MANY WORDS?"

From: TooCool (larrym...@hotmail.com)
The Puppy Wizard's Wits End Training Method

I have studied canine behavior and dog training for
years. I have a huge library that covers every system
of training.

The Puppy Wizard's (Jerry Howe's) Wits' End Training
Method is by far the most scientific, the most advanced,
the kindest, the quickest and the most effective training
method yet discovered.

It is not an assortment of training tips and tricks; it is
a logically consistent system. Every behavior problem
and every obedience skill is treated in the same logically
consistent manner.

Please study his manual carefully. Please endeavor to
understand the basis of his system and please follow
his directions exactly. His manual is a masterpiece.
It is dense with theory, with explanation, with detailed
descriptions about why behavior problems occur and
how their solution should be approached.

One should not pick and choose from among his methods
based upon what you personally like or dislike. His is
not a bag of tricks but a complete and integrated system
for not only training a dog but for raising a loving companion.

When I once said to Jerry that his system creates for
you the dog of your dreams, his response was that it
produces for your dog the owner of his dreams.

You see, Jerry has discovered that if you are gentle
with your dog then he will be gentle with you, if you
praise your dog every time he looks at you, then you
will become the center of your dogs world, if you use
Jerry's sound distraction with praise, then it takes
just minutes-sometimes merely seconds-to train your
dog to not misbehave (even in your absence) (Just 15
seconds this morning to train my 10 week old puppy to
lie quietly and let me clip his nails).

Using Jerry's scientific method (sound distraction /
praise / alteration / variation) it takes just minutes to
train you dog to respond to your commands.

What a pleasure it was for me to see my 6 week old
puppy running as fast has his wobbly little legs would
carry him in response to my recall command-and he
comes running every time I call no matter where we are
or what he is doing.

At ten weeks old now, my puppy never strains upon
his leash thanks to Jerry's hot & cold exercises and
his Family Pack Leadership exercises.

Jerry has discovered that if you scold your dog, if you
scream at him, if you intimidate him, if you hurt him,
if you force him then his natural response is to oppose
you.

Is Jerry a nut?

It doesn't make any difference to me whether he is or not.
It is a logical fallacy to judge a person's ideas based
upon their personality. As far as dogs are concerned, Jerry
wears his heart upon his sleeve. It touches him deeply when
he hears of trainers forcing, intimidating, scolding or
hurting dogs.

More than that, he knows that force is not effective
and that it will certainly lead to behavior problems;
sometime problems so severe that people put their
dogs down because of those problems.

I believe that it is natural for humans to want to control
their dog by force. Jerry knows this too. We have all been
at our wits' end, haven't we?

Dogs have a natural tendency to mimic. In scientific
literature it is referred to allelomimetic behavior. Dogs
respond in like kind to force; they respond in like kind
to praise.

Don't bribe your dog with treats; give him what he
wants most-your kind attention. Give him your praise.
You will be astonished at how your dog 's anxiety will
dissipate and how their behavior problems will dissipate
along with their anxiety.

Treat Jerry Howe's (The Puppy Wizard) Wits' End
Training Method as a scientific principle just as you
would the law of gravity and you will have astounding
success.

Dog behavior is just as scientific as is gravity.

If you follow Jerry's puppy rules you will get a sweet
little Magwai; if you don't you will surely get a little
gremlin (anyone see The Gremlins?). --Larry

From: Mike (m.bidd...@ns.sympatico.ca)
Subject: Re: Info. on the puppy wizard?
Date: 2004-07-18 14:27:02 PST

> > Oh, and did I mention his methods work, ya nuff said.
> > Mike
> Ok Mike which part worked for you?

It helped clear problems from my dogs in the
field using the can penny distraction technique.

Works like a charm.

My dogs get distracted easy from their jobs ie,
retrieving or training to find lost people, oh did
I mention that I am a Search and Rescue Team
Leader.

Sorry that slipped my mind.

I have read volumes of training books and don't
know where people get that Jerry copied others
work as I have NEVER come across his methods
before. I would like to see proof.

Just like Jerry outlined I eliminated problems one
at at time as they arose. I used to try and train to
the way I wanted them but this is backward, you
train out the problems leaving what you want left over.

Funny part is the second dog who had the same
problems as the other didn't need correcting for
some of his habits after I cleared it from the first
dog.

Seemed he learned through osmosis.

Nice side benefit there.

It nearly came to giving them up to a 3rd party
trainer as they were not performing well. The
VAST majority of working dog trainers are
agressive in their actions with the dogs.

I tried it and it didn't work and guess what I
was at my "Whits End" then someone I new
turned me onto Jerry and the rest is history.

I referred friends and families to Jerry's manual
and all have had great results. Starting puppies
out on the distraction technique is especially
good because they never develop the habit.

I had my sisters dog healing, sitting and down
stay reliably at 8-9 weeks. The first night home
following Jerrys advice we ditched the crate and
put the pup on the floor beside the bed and after
2 whimpers NOT A SOUND OUT OF THAT DOG
FOR 6 HRS! first night, that has never happened
in all my days.

Sorry, the man understands dogs its that simple.

Mike

"*.@DCFWatch.com" wrote:

No, the dog learned that I would hold still
the second she began to pull. She would pull
to go where *she* wanted.

Well if she wanted to stop and go in another
direction.. say to sniff my neighbors yard..

she learned if she wanted to do it I would stop
walking and she could go.. and if there wasn't
enough slack on her lead she would just pull me.

Then when she got done doing *her* thing, she woudl
heel.. smile at me and wait for me to say "let's go"
and finish *my* thing. I would refuse to move .. i
looked like an idiot.. freezing mid walk for minutes
waiting for *my* dog to heel and give *me* permission
to go again.

I did the treats and the let's go... she got to do her
stuff and get a cookie.. if she even wanted the cookie.

I wound up calling Jerry.. as I have a half red nose
pit and half amstaff.. who is incredibly protective..

we had a new pup on the way.. and i needed help.. i
followed petsmarts trainnign guides.. memorized them...
and they *did* work, don't get me wrong.. but only
when my pet wanted a cookie or felt the cookie was
better than what she wanted.. which was not often.

She quickly learned to ignore my commands if she
could see my hands were empty. So I called Jerry...
he chatted me for about an hour and a half.. gave me
his link... and even when i had probs intro'ing the
pup he called me withn i5 mins of my email for help
at 10pm on a sunday night.

One.. singular.. uno family pack exercise after
the hot and cold exercise and i could zig zag
down my street.. about face .. whatever.. and
never had tension.

two men were acrossed the street and she walked right
by them... ordinarily she'd snarl and protect us.

And in two days.. my dog.. who bit the puppy if he
even looked like he was going near my husband or kids..
is nursing him every hour.. cleaning him.. rough housing
gently.. and teaching him to go potty outside..

actually watches him to make sure he doesn't go in
the house... and has milk.. which is awesome since
she's 19 months old and has never had a litter.

She also has stopped barking non stop at our neighbor's
dogs and pig.. does not bark at eveyr car that drives by
and has stopped jumping on people. she's even starting
to ignore our cat who has lived on her dome litter box
and our window sill (literally) for over a year and a half.

She also does her commands on cue.. and doesn't look for a treat.

From: "George von Hilsheimer, Ph.D." <drv...@mindspring.com>
Subject: The Amazing Jerry's take on psychobabble
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:13:44 -0400

You might improve the learning of folk who actually
live with and train dogs to do useful things if you
excluded everyone who uses psychobabble from your lists.

I recommend to all of you who wish to taste the flavor
of sensible animal behaviorists to read THE MISBEHAVIOR
OF ORGANISMS, Breland and Breland.

This married pair of psychologists began the long trail
of highly trained animals who are symbolized by Shamu
eating a mackrel from a girl's hand instead of eating
the much more tasty pretty girl who is exactly the size
of the natural food of killer whales, seals. Yum!

The essay, by the way, is a chapter in B.F. Skinner's
summing up book, CUMULATIVE RECORD. They include a
sentence which more or less says, "unless you understand
the personal history of the particular animal, and the
history of this animal's species and group, the developmental
history of the animal, you cannot effectively train the animal.

Pigs root and hen's scratch, if you try to train hens without
scratching or pigs without scratching or pigeons without pecking,
you aren't going to have much success.

A conditional reflex is one which is learned, the original
primitive reflex occurs no matter what the history of the
animal, and is hard wired. If you train the animal to respond,
say by ringing a bell immediately before turning on a bright
light, then you've taught the animal and made his native reflex
of pupil constriction conditional upon the ringing of a bell.

Thorndyke added some terminology to this kind of training
and insisted that when you train the animal to make gross
motor responses that this learning is "instrumental", the
animal takes action and uses an instrument.

The Russian word translated as "conditional" in all other
contexts was mistranslated by Pavlov's American translator,
Horsley Gannt, as "conditioned" and so American psychology
went haring after phantasmagora.

The major theorists for the development of the language of
operant conditioning are Edward Thorndike, John Watson, and
B. F. Skinner. Their approach to behaviorism played a major
role in the development of American psychology.

They proposed that learning is the result of the application
of consequences; that is, learners begin to connect certain
probability of the response to change (i.e., learning occurs.)

Thorndike labeled this type of learning instrumental. Using
consequences, he taught kittens to manipulate a latch (e.g.,
an instrument). Skinner renamed instrumental as "operant"
because in this learning, one is "operating" on, and is
influenced by, the environment. Where classical conditioning
illustrates S-->R learning, operant conditioning is often
viewed as R-->S learning since it is the consequence that
follows the response that influences whether the response
is likely or unlikely to occur again.

It is through operant conditioning that
voluntary responses are learned.

One should note that Russian Psychology did very well
without the operant language, and only pettifogging
university professors ought to worry about what kind
of label we attach to the learning. Pfui!

Even Skinner understood this!

And please note if you saw the original movie, THE
MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, you saw a Chinese psychologist
who was based on Andrew Salter, CONDITIONED REFLEX
THERAPY.

Alas, Salter didn't have a Ph.D., but he basically rescued
us from the long Freudian nightmare and returned psychotherapy
to a scientific basis. Alas, the 2nd movie didn't even cite
Salter as a source. "...all the highest nervous activity, as
it manifests itself in the conditional reflex, consists of a
continual change of these three fundamental processes --
excitation, inhibition and disinhibition." Ivan P. Pavlov

George von Hilsheimer, Ph.D., F.R.S.H.

What's important is, "does Shamu reliably eat
the fish and not the pretty girl?"

George von Hilsheimer, Ph.D., F.R.

From: Kathy Levee (kle...@zoo.uvm.edu)
> Subject: Off Topic --MISSING DOGS
> Date: 1999/04/14
>
> I realize this has absolutely nothing to do with
> Disney. Parks, but since those of us on this
> newsgroup are from all over the country, I thought
> you would understand this one time intrusion. We
> are desperate to find these dogs....Please, if you
> have any information, contact the e-mail address
> at the bottom of the note. Thank you for your
> understanding.........
>
> Karyl Parks' (aka diddler) dog Danny - Ch. Alpha's
> Decorum (I think that is his correct registered name) is
> missing . For those that have never met Danny -
> he is very special. Both trained for Search and
> Rescue

You'd think the dog could find his
own way back to his HOWES???

> as well as service dog trained, CDX, etc.

But IT can't find ITS way back to his own HOWES?

> He does all the things that service dogs do

Like run HOWET on his people and not return?

> from opening doors, turning on lights, getting
> clothes and shoes.

You FORGOT MURDERIN the vet's office kitty kat
and escaping and destructively chewing a rug and
gettin locked in a box in an HOWEtbuilding to muffle
his CRYING till he was SHITTIN BLOOD and went in
for intestinal obstruction.

> He is a marvel.

Naaah. You want a MARVEL? Marvel at that
STUPID KAT that PAINICKED when diddler
snared IT in her leg hold STRANGLE / CHOKE
choke trap. She'd have BLUDGEONED IT had
IT not been wearin a collar. Perhaps she was
lookin for a REWARD, bein a SUBSISTANCE
hunter and all.

> He is nine years old but does not
> show his age - he is about 60 pounds 22 1/2
> inches, dark face. By tomorrow I will have a
> picture available.
>
> Monday night he was put out to do his business
> along with Taya another elkie. At 10:00pm - both
> he and Taya were gone from Karyl's yard.
>
> She heard nothing and the gate was open but
> opened inward. Danny was neutered in the last
> year so is not of any use to anyone for breeding.
>
> Karyl has handed out over 1,200 flyers today -
> gone to the schools where Danny was well
> known - he did demonstrations, talked to
> neighbors and combed the neighborhood.
>
> She lives in farm
> country outside Greenville, Ohio.
>
> Danny is a tall elkie - very handsome -
> microchipped. I am looking for a picture I took
> when he visited here two years ago. He was not
> wearing a collar when lost. Karyl will talk to
> postal workers, garbage truck drivers, county
> road crews, meter readers, tomorrow - has
> already contacted law enforcement and shelters.
>
> Please for anyone in the area or who can cross
> post this to other lists do it. This dog is Karyl's
> life and she can not imagine life without him.
>
> Taya - also an elkhound her parents dog - spayed
> female five years old. Small size - I think only
> about 18 inches. They could be together or
> separate - Taya did have a collar on. Do not
> know if she is microchipped.
>
> Karyl's email is kpa...@bright.net
>
> Thank you for your understanding......we're
> posting this to every list we are involved with
> and pray for their safe return.

Ummm, better RETHINK THAT. Your PAL diddler
is a Satanist or somethin weird like that.

> Kathy
>
> =================================

diddy wrote:

I certainly was NOT going to keep him, Nor was
I going to throw him away. I was going to go the
distance and get him back home (we fixed some
other problems while he was here) He's now a
happy and great dog, although I wasn't so fond
of him when he first came, and although we grew
close, the whole experience was not among my
fondest memories, until the end.

I needed to redirect his energies. He used escape for
entertainment. Once I gave him very many jobs to do,
and taught him LOTS of positive job skills to redirect
his energies. Once he found positive alternatives, he
finally forgot his negative behaviors which were severely
entrenched by the time I got him.

The first 6 months were awful for both of us.

All the "awful"-ness was caused by diddy. Just as all
the awfulness of the blood coming out of Reka's rectum
was caused by diddy and her INSANE need to prevent
her dog with "getting away" with anything (such as telling
diddy she was deathly ill).

Only she led you to believe that she was the hero.

Kind2dogs wrote:
> That's fine. I like to hear all different opinions.
> Now about that rescues dog doing such, how
> long was he alone for,to do such destruction?

diddy wrote:

I think 4 hours or so, I had put him in a supposedly
"Secure" place, while I had to leave. When I got
home, he had trashed my house. From then on,
when I left, he got put in the horse stall.

He trashed my horse stall.

He then got a new horse stall, wore a E-collar,
I electrified the perimeter of the stall and we
were finally able to contain him while we worked
on his escape problems.

Once he learned that I was more determined to
defeat him, he finally subdued. But escaping, to
him was a game.

Both of us had a throughly miserable time during
the stand off. The dog is actually now a very good
citizen. He just had to meet someone more determined,
and stubborn and willing to go the distance to do what it
took, before he would stop

Like I said, I thought he and I were going
to grow old together.

I am not going to go into exactly where we
went before we got that accomplished.

Let's just say it was "ugly"

You call tying the dog to a wall training, diddler, like
HOWE you trained your fence to train your dog?

diddy wrote:

"I admit our system fails occasionally"

> We have a beagle. Before we got our last one, we
> knew what to expect and spent a year re-enforcing the fence.

"I admit our system fails occasionally"

> What we did.

"I admit our system fails occasionally"

> Double fencing, hardware cloth lined on the inside.
> Wood ties under gates. A chicken wire apron extending
> out into the yard 12 inches. (hog ringed to the upright
> fencing). We chose chicken wire because it was flexible
> and ground conforming. grass grows right over it, making
> it invisible and easy to mow over. It's tacked down by tent
> stakes every 10 inches. (this is our most considerable
> investment)

"I admit our system fails occasionally"

> The problems with it is that it eventually disintegrates,
> rusts, pulls apart and need repair a lot. We placed tile
> blocks over the top, because the tent stakes stick up,
> and sometimes get hit by the lawnmower.

"I admit our system fails occasionally"

> Overall, it's a pretty decent system and works
> MOST of the time.

"I admit our system fails occasionally"

> The beagle is persistent, and tends to work the inner
> fencing, that's flimsy down, or tear it, making exit holes.
> We recently cut down a couple yard trees that broke down
> sections of the fence and they need re-enforcement.

"I admit our system fails occasionally"

> When the weather breaks, a whole new fence
> is in order, but the system works MOST of the time.

"I admit our system fails occasionally"

> We did install an underground perimeter E-fence
> at the fence line, and found a single strand 12 inch
> high electric cattle fence around the perimeter was
> just as effective, cheaper, less bothersome (no need
> to wear heavy e-collars.. especially that mess up coats),
> but both needed occassional maintenence.

"I admit our system fails occassionally"

> What we did.

"I admit our system fails occassionally"

> I admit our system fails occassionally, especially
> when snow drifts are over the top of the fences
> and erase any identifiable fenceline.

"I admit our system fails occassionally"

> We installed (BEFORE getting the beagle) a 100
> foot trolly line that crosses the yard.

"I admit our system fails occassionally"

> This is a safe, effective restraint system that has
> always worked when immediate repairs or extra
> security is desired.
> If I go away and leave the beagle outside. He goes
> to the trolly line, whether the containment system
> is currently working or not.

"I admit our system fails occassionally"

> It's great for emergency situations, and the $17
> last resort system gets used for the beagle far
> more than I ever expected. It still allows reasonable
> exercise range of area and mobility. The elkhounds
> and the beagle still play avidly, and it's the cheapest
> piece of mind security ever.

"I admit our system fails occassionally"

> A trolly tether system is the best for temporary
> containment while discovering where the leak
> is. In the snow, it's easy to discover the
> leak. In the summer, it's more difficult.

"I admit our system fails occassionally"

> I do not like, or use our current underground collar system

"I admit our system fails occassionally"

"Franticly And Desperately Demanding To Go Out,
I Finally Put Her In The barn, Locked Securely In A
Horse Stall For The Night," diddler

"My Husband Shot A Dog That Had Been Tearing Up
Trash. USING FOOTHOLD TRAPS IN THE SNOW I
FIND, IS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE"

Here's diddler at her best:

WHEN YOU CAN'T FIND ANY CATS TO SHOOT,
SHOOT HUNGRY DOGS INSTEAD FOR GETTING
IN THE GARBAGE

diddy (d...@nospam.diddy.net)

Subject: Oh My God

Date: 2002-01-16 13:39:59 PST

Two nights ago, Reka started acting frantic about 11pm.
I let her out. It's coyote breeding season, and she is
fascinated by them. I assumed she wanted to go out and
listen to them howling. I brought her in, and she spent
the night franticly and desperately demanding to go out.
After about 4am, I finally put her in the barn, locked
securely in a horse stall for the night.

She came in by morning, and had a normal active, playful
day. Last night, at 11pm, She franticly DEMANDED to go
out. I let her out, and brought her in. At midnight, she
DEMANDED to be let out. I let her out, but I went out
to the barn and got a crate, and decided she could
spend the rest of the night in the crate. We were NOT
going to do a repeat of the previous night AGAIN.
At 3am, she whined so loudly, I then decided not to
allow her to set a precedence of this type of behavior.
So I took her crate out to the heated gun shop and
decided to let her act out her bad behavior in peace,
and send a message that her obnoxious behavior
was not going to be tolerated.

This morning at 6am, I went out, and she had vomited
(normal looking dog food) and defecated in her crate
(not normal for Reka, but then, She normally didn't
sleep in a crate, NEVER gets corrected (she never does
anything to GET corrected for) and was probably nerves
from the outside experience, plus reprimand and solitary
confinement.)

I let her in the house while I cleaned the cage. Hoping
I had made my point. She acted healthy and normal, and
playful and chipper. But then I noticed a spot of blood on
the bathroom linoleum and in the bathtub. I was the last to
take a bath, so I knew REKA was the last in the tub.
That blood didnt come from me, so it HAD to come from
Reka. Thinking about her nearing the end of her heat cycle,
I still didnt think a lot about it. I thought her obnoxious
behavior the past couple nights WAS her heat cycle..
and corresponding coyote breeding season.

Then while feeding her breakfast, I saw the whole story.
She had blood (fresh) streaming from her RECTUM. UhOh.
I had her at the vets office this morning before he
opened. He just said her intestines were all bunched
up with huge air pockets.

Was there any chance that she ate strings of carpets? I
said, last Thursday we took a plastic tarp out of the yard
that we had over the grill to protect it from the weather
because she was chewing it. That would explain
EVERYTHING.

The strings are binding and bunching up her intestines,
cutting her internally and tying her intestines in knots as
it works its way through.

Reka is in a very critical situation. She is going to
require extensive and expensive surgery that I cant
afford. I will manage.

Even with the surgery, her condition will be critical
for awhile. Scary thoughts. I would never have
treated her the way I did last night, if I had even a
clue that she was sick. I feel so badly.
--
diddy

===============================

From: diddy (d...@nospam.diddy.net)
Subject: Re: What would you do in this situation?
Date: 2002-05-31 14:49:22 PST
Actually, I borrowed the vets office kitten once for a
couple days for school education on pet care and safe
handling as well as responsible pet ownership.

I kept the kitten over night in a crate within a crate
and yet my dog (yes, Angelic Danny, as well as Taya
and Toby tore that kittne to threads from between the
crate bars. (apparently he stuck his paws through the
crate to bat at the dogs. I was out doing yard work
and rushed in to find the little kittens pieces and
parts being torn through by ALL the dogs.

I called my girl friend to come get my dogs. I screamed
displeasure, and stalked out with the kitten. Danny, et
al spent 3 days in a kennel until I finally felt like I
could interact with them without doing bodily harm. All
three dogs were never touched, but knew they had done
something so unspeakable that I wouldn't associate with
them and they got banished.

To this day, Taya (mom and Dad's dog) and Danny will not
look at a cat. When confronted with one, Danny wees
himself and cowers hiding behind me for help. I'm not
saying this would work this way with all dogs, But mom
and dad now have a house cat, and she has never been
harmed by any of the dogs. Danny is there all the time,
unsupervised, and has no interest in harming the cat.

From: diddy (d...@diddy.net)
Subject: Re: Dog Shot, Neighbor Charged, Anchorage AK

Date: 2002-11-08 07:00:27 PST

(and if the dog was penned quietly outside, what
was it doing in his yard?)

I shot a neighbors dog one night for chasing my
horses and called him to help me find it. I would
do the same for threatening my dog.

My husband shot a dog that had been tearing up
trash up and down our road for years making an
unbelievable mess.

When we finally killed the culprit, the whole road
cheered. Animal control had never been able in
years to catch this critter. (we think it was feral it
was certainly unkempt enough to have been....
and it had been shot at by MANY of the neighbors,
but it never frightened it off enough to keep it from
NOT tearing up the road the next trash day)

---------------------------------

DIDDY ON CATS (shoot, don't trap)
From: diddy (d...@nospam.diddy.net)
Subject: Re: Fur Auction Ohio State Trappers Association
Xenia Ohio Feb 15 2002
Newsgroups: alt.animals.furtrapping
Date: 2002-02-16 12:06:21 PST

If I can get him away from the Olympics, I'll have him
answer that. He doesn't know how to change the identity on
the computer, so if "I" answer this post... it's really
Jeff. And no.... we went to watch. He sold nothing. btw..
are these "CATS" feral domestic cats? (sorry not familiar
with Oklahoma) (I just shoot the DSH cats. Jeff caught a
couple cats last summer while nuisance trapping an orchard,
but it wasn't intentional)
--
diddy

BUT IF YOU DO TRAP, DO IT RIGHT (The cat went
nuts....they weren't supposed to go ape, to get themselves
in this situation).

-------------------------------------

From: diddy (d...@nospam.diddy.net)
Subject: Re: cats : Crating/Caging: What constitutes abuse?
Date: 2002-08-23 09:18:08 PST
Lyn wrote:
> You know I'm a cat abuser because I let my cat out.
>
> > Alison
>
> Well, it totally depends upon where you live, as to
> whether or not doing so is in the best interest of your
> animal. Abuser isn't a term I would use, and I am a "cat
> group" regular.

Here it would be abuse. If you like your cat you keep it
home. I run a state authorized and monitored nuisance
animal trapline. This morning there was a cat in a snare.
Ordinarily, an animal caught in a snare can be released
unharmed. One of the animals I am targeting is coyotes
(and the complaint was that coyotes were killing area cats)
Duh.. If your cats are becoming lunch for wild animals, to
me .. It makes sense to keep your cats in where they can't
become lunch.. whatever.

Regarding this cat in the snare. It went nuts. It leaped,
and tangled itself, and most certainly strangulated it's
intestines. It had the snare pulled tight down to the
diameter of a dime (just large enough to encircle the
spine) around the waist area. This cats snarled, and
attacked. Trying to extricate this cat was exceedingly
difficult, not to mention dangerous. Because I feared
damage to the intestines and death of the gut, I imagined
this cat was not likely to survive.

It would have been much simpler to dispatch the
unfortunate cat and take out the dead body. Instead,
this cat wore a collar. it deserved a chance, and the
owner deserved closure. (no id on the collar) .
It escaped, just as I released it and it couldn't be
taken to the vet for examination. I will probably
never know if this particular cat survives the
experience or not.

People in the area were aware that trapping was being
done and apparently still let their cats run free, both
endangered by the traps and by the coyotes being targeted
that are causing a problem with their cat population.
Had that cat not been wearing a collar, I would not have
tried to release this hostile cat. Releasing it may not have
been a kindness, but then... cats weren't supposed to be
attracted to this type of trap, in this position, and then
they weren't supposed to go ape, to get themselves in this
situation. If you like your pet, you keep them home.

--------------------

Pet Diary And Photos At Www.verany.com
2006-04-09 14:56:58 EST
I got my lab a little companion, it;s a chihuaha and they are best
friends now!

Pet Diary And Photos At Www.verany.com
2006-04-09 15:06:25 EST
I got my lab a little companion, it;s a chihuaha and they are best
friends now!

It's Only Alimentary, Dear Watson
2006-04-10 23:53:37 EST
HOWEDY Pet Diary and Photos,

Pet Diary and Photos at www.verany.com wrote:
> I got my lab a little companion, it;s a chihuaha

Good for you!

> and they are best friends now!

As it should be. AS STATED: "Good for you!"

WELCOME To The Freakin Simply Amazing Puppy Wizard's 100%
CONSISTENTLY NEARLY INSTANTLY SUCCESSFUL FREE WWW
Wits' End Dog Training Method Forums.

I'm Jerry Howe, The Simply Amazing Puppy Wizard <{) ; ~ ) >

Here's your own FREE COPY of The Freakin Simply Amazing Puppy
Wizard's 100% CONSISTENTLY NEARLY INSTANTLY SUCCESSFUL
FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual <{) : ~ } >

<{#}: ~ } >8< { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > http://www.tinyurl.com/7bl5u < { ~ :{@}>

PLEASE STUDY and give a copy and TEACH it's methods
to your family and provide a FREE COPY to your website
visitors for their own families.

Thank you for visiting The Freakin Simply Amazing Puppy