Dog Discussion: Good Family Dog & Gaurd Dog.

Good Family Dog & Gaurd Dog.

R. J. Younger
2006-03-26 12:26:07 EST
We are looking to getting a Dog that. Gets along with other dogs. IT will
be a puppy of course. That will be good with kids, and the whole family.
But yet is a guard dog. thought about a German Sheperd, or Rottweiler.
(Friend has a Rotti and I know how good of a dog they are or can be.)

J & J
2006-03-27 22:28:25 EST
German Shepards are great dogs but also in the top 5 to attack children. We
adopted a German Shepard puppy from an animal shelter and she was a great
dog with my family. I had a 5 year old son. She was very protective of the
entire family. We had her for 5 years and then I gave birth to another son.
She would not accept him into the family. She would charge the sliding
glass door when he would crawl up to look outside. I contacted many
trainers and was advised to never leave my son unattended around the dog.
She was not going to accept him. I finally had to put her down which was
one of the hardest things I have ever done but my son came first. Good luck
in your search.

R. J. Younger
2006-03-30 01:01:05 EST
So you would recommend a German Sheperd for what we want? A friend had 3 of
them. and he says they are good dogs. I'm leaning toward them also. I
have came in contact with my friends German Sheperd when he had him, well
Kelly III. They named all there German Sheperds Kelly. I dunno why.

"J & J" <jjsba@cox.net> wrote in message
> German Shepards are great dogs but also in the top 5 to attack children.
> We adopted a German Shepard puppy from an animal shelter and she was a
> great dog with my family. I had a 5 year old son. She was very
> protective of the entire family. We had her for 5 years and then I gave
> birth to another son. She would not accept him into the family. She would
> charge the sliding glass door when he would crawl up to look outside. I
> contacted many trainers and was advised to never leave my son unattended
> around the dog. She was not going to accept him. I finally had to put her
> down which was one of the hardest things I have ever done but my son came
> first. Good luck in your search.

J & J
2006-03-30 12:46:23 EST
German Sheppards are great dogs. Just watch the dog's behavior if you plan
to have a kid. Mine just did not accept the new child to the family but I
would own another one if I had the space but I don't. My dog was great and
to this day I don't understand why she would not accept my son since he did
accept my son that was in the family when the dog joined us. Good luck.

Foogle Business
2006-04-10 04:02:11 EST

> German Sheppards are great dogs. Just watch the dog's behavior if you
> plan to have a kid. Mine just did not accept the new child to the family
> but I would own another one if I had the space but I don't. My dog was
> great and to this day I don't understand why she would not accept my son
> since he did accept my son that was in the family when the dog joined us.
> Good luck.

Dogs, are basically all the same, but then all different. Humans share 74%
of their DNA. Breeds are different, and then individuals are different, but
they are all dogs. It is a bit of a lottery in what you get, but give a good
trainer the puppy, and he / she will give you a good dog. We have always had
Rottweilers, and they are great, we get hundreds of emails each year, about
every type of dog. Just suppress the bad and cultivate the good. With any
big dog, you must be assertive and sure of yourself. Bring them up right and
you will not have to watch them, they will watch you.

Bo
2006-04-26 10:26:05 EST

"R. J. Younger" <Stingray4@Cox.net> wrote in message
> We are looking to getting a Dog that. Gets along with other dogs. IT
> will
> be a puppy of course. That will be good with kids, and the whole family.
> But yet is a guard dog. thought about a German Sheperd, or Rottweiler.
> (Friend has a Rotti and I know how good of a dog they are or can be.)

English Mastiff.

Great family dog. Very protective of my kids---and is a BIG BABY.

Easy to train and very much want to be *in* the family....

Bo

Kykittychu-wa
2006-08-23 18:49:55 EST
I am partial to Standard Poodles. They get along with kids, other dogs
and have a deep sounding bark that makes intruders think it's a tough
larger dog. St. Poodles don't attack intruders however not that I know
of. Poodles aren't for everybody as they need lots of grooming...but
they don't shed!