Dog Discussion: Help With German Shephard Turning Mean

Help With German Shephard Turning Mean

Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD
2003-10-09 15:56:03 EST
My daughter has a German Shepherd AKC/UKC female about 18 months old who is
starting to turn mean. We need help with this dog or we must get rid of her
somehow.

We have 3 dogs--a 13 year old Cocker Spaniel--spayed (Taffy). A brown-lab
mix male neutered (Socks). And the GS (Sadie). Socks is super mellow and
just loves to play fetch. He is about 2.5 years old and is lucky to be
alive after getting hit by a car. We spent about a $1,000.00 on vet bills
on him. Sadie constantly chews at his collar trying to control him and is
always bugging him. They got into it about 3 weeks ago and had to be pulled
apart. No damage. I think Socks would have really layed into Sadie. He is
a little bigger and older, but Sadie has the teeth. Sock is an outside dog
for the most part because he "stinks". Sadie and Taffy are in and out dogs.

2 weeks ago, Sadie and Taffy got into it and Sadie had to be pulled off her.
Sadie would have really hurt her if we had not swatted her and separated
them. Taffy was visibly shaken--but it was her fault as she had wandered
into the basement near Sadie's indoor cage near my daughter's room. Sadie's
empty food dish was nearby. We think Sadie was protecting her territory,
but the fight was 35' away from her cage and dish.

Saturday, while walking with my folks, Taffy stopped to poop. Sadie came up
to smell her and Taffy started barking at her. Sadie took off running down
the trail with Taffy on her heels, then suddenly turned on Taffy and really
tore into her. My mom swatted Sadie with an umbrella she happened to have,
and Sadie let go. Taffy rolled over and Sadie immediately bit her on the
other side. Sadie was obviously going for Taffy's neck but missed had hit
her shoulders. But for hitting her shoulders, I am sure as was the vet that
Sadie would have gotten the jugular or punctured Taffy's lungs. Taffy is
pretty athletic and in really good shape for a Cocker--she outlasts both
Socks and Sadie when following my daughter on her horse. I think Taffy's
physical conditioning saved her.

Taffy has been at my parents house and now back to overnights at the Vet's
office since last Saturday and will remain at the Vets until this Saturday
with tubes in her sides draining the wounds.

Sadie is coming into her age and wants to be the Alpha dog I guess. She
used to love Taffy to chase her, but now is not trustworthy. Last winter,
all 3 dogs and Mouse the cat would get into the big doghouse together. We
often left all 3 dogs in the same pen, but dare not do this now! Yesterday,
while switching out dog houses, Sadie barred her teeth at Socks when he
approached his house. Sadie was in his house with her toy. Today, Sadie was
in the pen alone, and I went to put Socks in the pen with her and as we
approached, she barred her teeth and growled at him (or me?).

Sadie is pretty intelligent and very alert. She has had some obedience
training, shakes, crawls, rolls, sits and stays, as well as fetches pretty
well for the most part. She is finally coming when called, house broken and
even drops the ball at your feet instead of running away with it. She
really wants to herd the horses which I think have kicked her a few times,
so she keeps her distance now. She also wants chase our oldest cat Shadow.
The barn cat (Mouse) was a kitten when Sadie was a pup and she doesn't
really bother him much--he just runs under something or goes in the dog
house with Socks. (Mouse slept every night with Socks when he was healing
from being hit by a car--external fixation splint on front leg and jaw
wires). They are still very close. Socks doesn't like the other cat
either--he can't figure out why Shadow runs away and Mouse doesn't.

Sadie is pretty mellow when in the house. She can sit still for an hour or
more and watch TV or people or she can play rough, but has not nipped or
growled at people (yet). Some have suggested putting a muzzle on her. A
cage type so she can still run--but she will go crazy not being able to
fetch. I am planning on a cage muzzle when we bring Taffy home. I have
been told now that she has tasted Taffy's blood--next time she will likely
kill her.

Any help on "fixing" this dog's aggressive behavior would be appreciated.
We are going to inform the breeder of her violent tendencies and see what
she says. I don't know--maybe it is too late. She is really pretty and we
would like to breed her--but maybe just spay her give her to some farmer so
the violent genes if any don't pass on. What can we do? Please help!!!

--
Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD

Me And Bobby Mcgee
2003-10-09 23:16:57 EST
You can't fix a dog's aggressive behavior without first fixing your own.
They take their cues from you as to what type of force is acceptable within
the pack.

KrisHur
2003-10-10 07:27:56 EST
1) Find out why your lab "stinks". Odor can be due to food allergy or a
medical condition. And bring him into the house.

2) Take Sadie to obedience classes.

3) Contact a behaviorist to come and watch the interaction between your
dogs, it is near impossible to diagnose aggression issues over the internet.

If you decide to "get rid of her" be upfront with people that she belongs in
a one-dog home. A GSD rescue will be your best bet for re-homing her.

my .02

--
Kristen and
Kali CD, CGC, TDIA, TT

"Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD" <rudym@net-link.net> wrote in message
> My daughter has a German Shepherd AKC/UKC female about 18 months old who
is
> starting to turn mean. We need help with this dog or we must get rid of
her
> somehow.

Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD
2003-10-10 14:40:51 EST
Yes--I know. Back when corporal punishment was allowed in schools, we
didn't have the problems in school we have today.

The next time the German Shepherd has our Cocker Spaniel in her fangs, I
will gently and lovingly ask her to let please let her go and not do that
again.

--
Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD
"me and bobby mcgee" <meandmyshadow@fishing.net> wrote in message
> You can't fix a dog's aggressive behavior without first fixing your own.
> They take their cues from you as to what type of force is acceptable
within
> the pack.

Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD
2003-10-10 14:51:26 EST
Thanks for your tips. I will look into the "stink" problem. He is due for
a vet check soon anyway.

Sadie has been to classes as a puppy. My wife spoke to my daughter former
dog 4H leader who had a similar problem. They had a 9 year old female
German Shepherd that killed their cat then later that tore into their Cocker
Spaniel. It then drew blood needing stitches on the ladies husband after he
picked up the Cocker. They tried some sort of aggression class. It didn't
work. They put the GS down.

My wife contacted the breeder we got the dog from. She was not too enthused
about taking it back and I sure a refund of our $ is unlikely. I don't
think this dog's behavior is a product of the environment as for the most
part, spends a lot of time around people and the other two dogs, and has
since we got her as a puppy.

We have been told to spay her so she doesn't breed more violent dogs. If we
don't hear back from the breeder soon, is there a way to track others from
this litter via AKC or UKC so we could find from them if their dogs have
turned violent?

What is a GSD rescue? I fear you may be correct in that she maybe only
suitable for a one-dog home. My cousin runs a dog placement show once a
month or so from her store parking lot. Maybe she knows someone willing to
buy her. Darn thing has cost us over a $1,000.00 already including the
couch she destroyed--but I will never get that kind of money out of
her--especially since I have the moral and ethical obligation to inform
prospective owners of her propensity to violence.

Thanks.

--
Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD
"KrisHur" <kris_brock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 1) Find out why your lab "stinks". Odor can be due to food allergy or a
> medical condition. And bring him into the house.
>
> 2) Take Sadie to obedience classes.
>
> 3) Contact a behaviorist to come and watch the interaction between your
> dogs, it is near impossible to diagnose aggression issues over the
internet.

> If you decide to "get rid of her" be upfront with people that she belongs
in
> a one-dog home. A GSD rescue will be your best bet for re-homing her.
>
> my .02
>
> --
> Kristen and
> Kali CD, CGC, TDIA, TT
> www.kristenandkali.com
>

> "Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD" <rudym@net-link.net> wrote in message
> > My daughter has a German Shepherd AKC/UKC female about 18 months old who
> is
> > starting to turn mean. We need help with this dog or we must get rid of
> her
> > somehow.

Me And Bobby Mcgee
2003-10-10 16:36:59 EST

> The next time the German Shepherd has our Cocker Spaniel in her fangs, I
> will gently and lovingly ask her to let please let her go and not do that
> again.

Next time you get a German Shepherd, don't hit her, and she won't think it's
acceptable to have a Cocker Spaniel in her fangs.

If you have to "correct" a dog, do it the way dogs correct one another- with
a prong collar. This simulates a bite to the neck, which is how dogs set
boundaries of acceptable behavior with one another. Puppies who are properly
socialized with other dogs learn very quickly what is and is not approriate
by the corrective nips and bites they give one another during play, or when
mama dog nips to correct a pup. The force with which you correct with the
collar can vary from a gentle nip, to a stern bite. It must be used with
care, however, because any correction that is applied to the dog, if not
done correctly, quickly, and in the proper context can lead to further
aggression.

Try a professional trainer and a prong collar. Please don't hit the dog,
you're only making it worse. You can explain a physical correction to a
child- you can't explain it to a dog, so you must use the dog's language to
communicate with him. Smacking your child on the behind, and doing the same
to the dog, aren't the same thing. It compares to biting your child on the
neck for acting up- you wouldn't do that, would you? Dogs don't relate
hitting to discipline the same as we don't relate biting one another as
such. Each species has it's own unique way of physical correction.

The Puppy Wizard
2003-10-10 19:37:07 EST
HOWEDy Rudy,

"Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD" <rudym@net-link.net> wrote in message

> My daughter has a German Shepherd AKC/UKC female
> about 18 months old who is starting to turn mean.

Dogs don't do things for no reason. 18 months old is an
age where many dogs "get mean" on accHOWENT of
they're comin into their maturity and are being mishandled.
Same same happens at 8 months and five years. It's all
been discussed by Scott & Fuller but noWON knew HOWE
COME till The Puppy Wizard began ANAL-yzing their work.

> We need help with this dog or we must get rid of her somehow.

HOWER dog lovers can't help you, they HURT and KILL dogs
like you got.

> We have 3 dogs--a 13 year old Cocker Spaniel--spayed (Taffy).
> A brown-lab mix male neutered (Socks). And the GS (Sadie).
> Socks is super mellow and just loves to play fetch. He is about
> 2.5 years old and is lucky to be alive after getting hit by a
car.
> We spent about a $1,000.00 on vet bills on him.

Takes MINUTES to train a dog to stay on his pupperty.

> Sadie constantly chews at his collar trying to control him and
is
> always bugging him. They got into it about 3 weeks ago and had
> to be pulled apart. No damage. I think Socks would have really
> layed into Sadie. He is a little bigger and older, but Sadie
has the
> teeth.

It's RARE that a male will fight with a female.

> Sock is an outside dog for the most part because he "stinks".

That's a fault of diet and groomin.

> Sadie and Taffy are in and out dogs.

All behavior problems are caused by mishandling.

> 2 weeks ago, Sadie and Taffy got into it and Sadie had to be
> pulled off her. Sadie would have really hurt her if we had not
> swatted her and separated them.

THAT'LL increase her anxiety and insure MOORE fighting.

> Taffy was visibly shaken--but it was her fault

Dogs fight HOWETA FEAR, not FAULT.

> as she had wandered into the basement near Sadie's indoor
> cage near my daughter's room.

Crating makes dogs anxiHOWES.

> Sadie's empty food dish was nearby.

That's on accHOWENT of they're INSECURE... not on
accHOWENT of food...

> We think Sadie was protecting her territory,

On accHOWENT of she's SCARED.

> but the fight was 35' away from her cage and dish.

The details are IRRELEVENT. The PROBLEM is MISHANDLING.
The SOLUTION is EZ FAST and FREE if you study your FREE
copy of The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training
Method Manual and ASK The Puppy Wizard if you need any additional
FREE help.

> Saturday, while walking with my folks, Taffy stopped to poop.
> Sadie came up to smell her and Taffy started barking at her.
> Sadie took off running down the trail with Taffy on her heels,
> then suddenly turned on Taffy and really tore into her.

You could have interrupted the aggression before it started
had you known HOWE.

> My mom swatted Sadie with an umbrella she happened to have,
> and Sadie let go. Taffy rolled over and Sadie immediately bit
her
> on the other side. Sadie was obviously going for Taffy's neck
but
> missed had hit her shoulders. But for hitting her shoulders, I
am
> sure as was the vet that Sadie would have gotten the jugular or
> punctured Taffy's lungs.

Takes a few minutes to EXTINGUISH AGGRESSION.

> Taffy is pretty athletic and in really good shape for a Cocker-
> -she outlasts both Socks and Sadie when following my daughter
> on her horse. I think Taffy's physical conditioning saved her.

That doesn't need to happen noMOORE.

> Taffy has been at my parents house and now back to overnights
> at the Vet's office since last Saturday and will remain at the
Vets
> until this Saturday with tubes in her sides draining the wounds.

Wonderful.

> Sadie is coming into her age and wants to be the Alpha dog I
guess.

That's on accHOWENT of MISHANDLING. The so called alpha
theory is BULLSHIT.

> She used to love Taffy to chase her, but now is not
trustworthy.

Cause she's SCARED. ALL aggression is FEAR.

> Last winter, all 3 dogs and Mouse the cat would get into the
> big doghouse together. We often left all 3 dogs in the same
> pen, but dare not do this now!

You can fix all that if you follow the instructions PRECISELY
and do all the exercises in your FREE copy of The Puppy
Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method
Manual and ASK The Puppy Wizard if you have any difficulty.

> Yesterday, while switching out dog houses, Sadie barred her
> teeth at Socks when he approached his house. Sadie was in
> his house with her toy. Today, Sadie was in the pen alone,
> and I went to put Socks in the pen with her and as we
> approached, she barred her teeth and growled at him (or me?).

IRRELEVENT. You've got to learn HOWE to pupperly handle
and train them and these incidents won't happen noMOORE.

> Sadie is pretty intelligent and very alert. She has had some
> obedience training,

Obedience training is often the CAUSE of AGGRESSION.

> shakes, crawls, rolls, sits and stays, as well as fetches pretty
> well for the most part. She is finally coming when called,
house
> broken and even drops the ball at your feet instead of running
> away with it.

Oh. That only takes a few minutes if you know HOWE
to pupperly handle and train a dog.

> She really wants to herd the horses which I think have
> kicked her a few times, so she keeps her distance now.

Takes only a few minutes to teach a dog to respect horses.

> She also wants chase our oldest cat Shadow.

Takes only a few minutes to extinguish ALL behavior problems.

> The barn cat (Mouse) was a kitten when Sadie was a pup and
> she doesn't really bother him much--he just runs under something
> or goes in the dog house with Socks. (Mouse slept every night
> with Socks when he was healing from being hit by a car--external
> fixation splint on front leg and jaw wires). They are still
very close.
> Socks doesn't like the other cat either--he can't figure out why
> Shadow runs away and Mouse doesn't.

It's all the same same same same...

> Sadie is pretty mellow when in the house. She can sit still for
an hour or
> more and watch TV or people or she can play rough, but has not
nipped or
> growled at people (yet). Some have suggested putting a muzzle
on her.

A muzzle may just make her MOORE fearful.

> A cage type so she can still run--but she will go crazy not
being able to
> fetch. I am planning on a cage muzzle when we bring Taffy home.

You won't need a muzzle if you study your FREE copy of The
Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method
Manual.

> I have been told now that she has tasted Taffy's blood-
> -next time she will likely kill her.

Yeah. You musta been talkin to a vet, trainer, or behaviorist.

> Any help on "fixing" this dog's aggressive behavior

You won't be gettin no advice from HOWER dog lovers.
They HURT and KILL dogs like you got.

> would be appreciated.

HOWER dog lovers are predominantely LIARS, DOG ABUSERS,
and CERTIFIED MENTAL PATIENTS.

> We are going to inform the breeder of her violent tendencies

It's not a fault of breeding, it's a fault of MISHANDLING.

> and see what she says.

ETHICKAL BREEDERS KILL DOGS LIKE YOURS.

> I don't know--maybe it is too late.

It's NEVER too late, UNLESS you've KILLED the dog
as so many of HOWER dog lovers here abHOWETS
have done to their own dogs.

> She is really pretty and we would like to breed her-

HOWER dog lovers are pretty strict abHOWET their
ETHICKS of breedin...

> -but maybe just spay her give her to some farmer so
> the violent genes if any don't pass on.

That's INSANE. Dogs are aggressive on accHOWENT
of FEAR, not BAD GENETICS.

> What can we do?

The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training
Method Manual Students report 100% TOTAL NEAR INSTANT
CONTROL of ALL behavior problems. HOWER DOG LOVERS
call them LIARS and PAID SHILLS and FORGERIES made by
The Puppy Wizard.

>Please help!!!

AS STATED: "You're askin LIARS, DOG ABUSERS, and
CERTIFIED MENTAL CASES for help with the same same
same same problems THEY GOT."

> --
> Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD

That's HOWE COME they HURT and KILL their best dogs.

HOWEDY peamo69,

"peamo69" <gina@montereybay.com> wrote in message

> Does anyone know how to teach a dog not to be so over
> protective.

INDEEDY. The Puppy Wizard has SPECIALIZED in temperament
and behavior problems in mostly giant and workin breeds for forty
sumpthin years and get 100% SUCCESS NEARLY INSTANTLY,
withHOWET relying on fear force bribes avoidance confrontation
confinement or avoidance.

> My 6 month JRT

He's just a puppy... that's unusual.

> is the smartest sweetest little critter

Good.

> but when it comes to him finding something for him to play with
> (more like chew on) , he gets very aggressive.

That could be PLAY.

> If he is in a playful mood, I can usually distract him long
enough to
> grab whatever it is he has found and take it out of his mouth.

Oh. THAT'S HOWE COME he's being aggressive.

Your dog doesn't TRUST you. That's EZ to rehabilitate.

> But sometimes he holds onto that object and won't let go-

Cause you're COMPETING with him.

> - growling and nipping.

Still might be PLAY, but probably not.

> Once I do recover the item, he growls and bites.

O.K., then you know HOWE COME he's being aggressive.

> It usually isn't hard enough to really hurt

Oh? Still might be PLAY.

> but he hasn't gotten a finger yet either!

You just said he's not "hard enough to really hurt?"

> It is like he is holding a grudge for a few minutes.

INDEEDY, likely so.

> I do try and give him something in exchange -

You mean, a BRIBE?

> - such as a chew toy or start trying to get him in a playful
mood -

Your dog KNOWS you're trying to scam him.

> - which he usually is until he see's that he shouldn't be
holding what he is holding.

He's probably mistrustful because you've probably scolded him
for takin STUFF. That's HOWE COME dogs do things as soon
as we turn HOWER back on them. You'll have to stop doin ALL
of what you've been doin and learn HOWE to pupperly handle
and train him.

> He is like this with his food too.

That's a TRUST issue.

> If it is in his bowl it is his but when he is trying to get in
the trash,
> he is a brat.

That's on accHOWENT of you're mishandling him.

> I try and keep temptation out of his way

That'll disavail you of training opportunities.

> but with kids and his quickness, sometimes it just isn't enough.

You'll have to FORGET every thing you've been taugh. Have you
gone to obedience training or "puppy class?" That could be HOWE
COME your dogs doesn't TRUST you.

> When he does act this way, I put him in his pen and give him a
little
> tap on the tush.

To teach him to TRUST YOU?

> I have also tried just telling him "NO"!

To make him feel SECURE and COMFORTABLE?

> Anyone have any ideas on teaching him violence
> isn't the answer?

INDEEDY. "Physician, HEEL THYSELF."

Hi, Jerry.

I'm not sure that I'm a 100% convert, or that I agree
with (or even understand) 100% of what you say in this
manual ... BUT ... we had "come" down pat in a few
reps and you could have knocked me down when I tried
the exercise with "drop" and, after a few reps in
different spots Darwin practically *threw* the rubber
ball at my feet on command. He's still not perfect
(just a pup, after all, and he's stubborn enough to
want to push and test me a little bit more).

For what it's worth, I can see (as no doubt you have)
how your usenet manner is likely to rankle a few
folks, but that woman who advocates ear pulling and
beating with sticks deserves everything she gets. Even
if that was the only method that would work, I'd live
with my dog not fetching rather than do any of that.
(Darwin fetches enthusiastically and instinctively,
tho').

Best, ben

===================

Dave Cohen <cohen1@total.net writes:
Re: Barking Deterrants Needed...

Hi. Please understand that I do not know Jerry and have
spoken with him briefly once by email.

I have no stake or interest in the success of his
business. I simply want to thank him publicly for one
of his tips, with regards to separation anxiety.

I thought it seemed far fetched to praise a stuffed
animal and then say good bye to my own dog, but
I am usually a very open minded person, so I tried it.
Well, lo and behold- the damn trick worked!

I think Jerry has some intriguing techniques, and
personally I think everyone who constantly criticizes
him is not understanding his logic. Thank you Jerry!

===================

Jeremy writes:

"A customer recently purchased a Shiba Inu and I suspect
she may be in for a wild ride. This is a breed that I suspect
may respond particularly well to mutual respect style
training.

The alpha complex (as I now call it) is likely to
really provoke the dog's naturally competitive nature.

Thanks 1000 times for opening my eyes and don't let
those assholes get you down. I can't be the only person
that sees the sense in your methods. I'm in Windsor,
Ontario, Canada and pass your info to anyone it might
help" Thanks, Jeremy.

================

From: Becky (BeckySiz@new.rr.com)
Subject: Re: Crate Anxiety
Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Date: 2002-04-04 12:56:23 PST

Try Jerry Howe's training manual and check out his Doggy
Do Right (And Kitty Will And A Rooster Did And A Cockatoo
Or Two Did Too) machine....it is for this.

Please do not listen to the others in here that don't like
him or his methods, they have never tried them....I have
and it works!!!!

I broke my dog from nipping almost 100% in 1 day and
she usually does this SEVERAL times a day and actually
makes my kids bleed!

Try it or contact him! The manual is at the above website
also, and it is free!

Becky

===========

From: Nevyn (alien4@wasp.net.au)
Subject: Newsgroups: rec. pets. dogs. behavior

Date: 2002-03-01 03:15:50 PST

Hello

I have two mungrel females; the breeds exactly are Blue Heeler
(spots) x Kelpi (dominant genes) x American Pitbull (behavioural)
x Pug (don't laugh!).

They are gentle loving dogs when I'm at home with them, and
they are friendly with unknown people. They are sisters. One is
obviously dominant over the other, and I don't have a problem
with that, however;

Their behaviour is very odd. Some days they are very good
whilst I'm walking them, some days they are not. They are 3
years old and have only been walking for about 12 months
because my mom didn't walk them and now I'm home so I
walk them for about an hour and half every afternoon. I take
them to the park where they chase birds and swim in the lake.

This is my problem :

The less-dominant dog viscously barks at every other dog we
walk past; I have tried using a stick and giving her a tap when
she does it, and treating her with treats when she doesn't,
using a choke chain, a muzzle and a thing that sprays stuff in
her mouth when she barks.

She won't stop! Does anyone know how I can stop her? ]

Also, the more-dominant dog seems to know this is WRONG,
when the other dog barks, she doesn't bark, but she nips at the
other dog as if telling her to cut it out, and then the barking
one
attacks the more-dominant one and they fight on the leash... it is
quite disturbing to the people walking past.

And also the more-dominant one is okay around other dogs...
SOMETIMES... sometimes she completely ignores them,
and yet other times she will attack them, like yesterday. The
less dominant one I must keep on a leash if a person brings
there dog to the park.

How do I stop them attacking other dogs? I have tried all the
methods I have used above for 10 months every afternoon.
Is it just a pac k-behaviour thing?

It can really be quite embarrassing when your dogs attack some
old lady's or little girl's dog.

They are good dogs, when at home or when there are no other
dogs around. Today there were hundreds of sparrows flying
around the park and they were chasing them and jumping up
trying to catch them for more than 90 minutes (They went
straight to bed when I bought them home!).

Can anyone help me? Email me at my emails
address, alien4@wasp.net.au coz this list is tooo crowded.

Thanks,
Nevyn

=======================

Here's two Pauls:

Date: 5/22/03 11:24:35 PM Eastern
Daylight Time
From: p@cfl.rr.com
To: Witsenddog@aol.com

Well, let me tell you, your Wits' End
Dog Training Method works.

My dog, Dasie, Loves to chase chameleons
around the barbecue on the patio. I
used this system on four different occasions.

When she went out today, she looked
everywhere else but the barbecue.
Amazing, just amazing.

I will write to Amanda about the video.

I am really excited to learn more, and
understand. Maybe just a little reassurance
that I am going about it the right way.

Thanks again
Paul

> > =============================

Here's Disciple Paulie writing yesterday, to The Puppy Wizard:

From: Paul B (NOSPAMpaulbousie@clear.net.nz)
Subject: Re: Dog vs cat food (stealing cat food)
Date: 2001-03-03 22:18:03 PST

====================

Date: 2000/10/21

Something occurred this morning that made me think how
we treat our dogs and what expectations we have of them.

Because it was a Saturday we slept in and the dogs
eventually jumped up on the bed on my wife's side. After
a brief greeting she very abruptly demanded they get down,
"OFF THE BED" she insisted, Sam looked at her perplexed,
so she repeated the "order", so Sam tried to lick her face,
"GET OFF" she said abruptly.

Sam got down but was unsure what he had done wrong. After
a bit they both came over and jumped up on my side, I patted
them etc and eventually asked them to get down, "off the bed,
good dogs" and they hopped off immediately with no prob's.

Eileen asked me why they obey me and not her so easily.
I told her they got down for me because I asked them to,
they know the command "off the bed" or "off anything" so
there is no need to demand it of them, ask them and they
will comply, demand it and they get confused because
they think you are annoyed with them but they don't know
why so they try to "make amends" which is why Sam licked her.

I have found giving dogs "payment" in advance i.e. "Sam
sit goodboy" makes the dogs want to respond, after all, all
dogs want to be "good dogs" and if you tell them they are
good then they feel an obligation to obey your request.

Telling Sam he's a good dog after he sit's apart from been too
late is also a gamble because if he doesn't sit then there's
no positive interaction.

Trust your dog, ask it to do your request and say "good dog"
sincerely at the end of the request and I bet you'll find your
dog thinking then responding everytime.

Paul

=======================

From: Paul B (NOSPAMpanders@zfree.co.nz)
Date: 2001-07-03 03:05:59 PST

A bit of respect works wonders, the same rule applies to
every aspect of the relationship with your dog.

Paul.

========================

"Charlie Wilkes" <charlie_wilkes@easynews.com wrote
in message
news: pjaootcg8dgrptuu96383933eqk2jjp7b2@4ax.com...

I read up on rotties, pitbulls, etc., and quite a
bit of the literature suggested I needed to assert
my dominance and "make the dog earn everything it
gets."

I tried this once or twice, just by taking a stern
tone of voice, and the results were terrible.
The pup got scared and just wanted to stay away from
me.

That's why I support Jerry Howe and his FREE
Wits' End Dog Training manual -- that and the fact
that Jerry is an all-around great guy.

The core takeaway I got from Jerry's manual is this:
make yourself the center of your puppy's world -
- his personal Lord Jesus. Never give him a reason
to fear you or think you're angry. Love the heck
out of him, and you'll end up with a great dog.

This has truly worked with my puppy. She'll do
anything I want her to, if she understands, because
she trusts me 100 percent, and nothing is more
important in her world than her relationship
with me. http://www.geocities.com/viscouspuppy
Charlie

=========================

"I know that most men, including those at ease with
problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept
even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would
oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they
have delighted in explaining to colleagues, proudly
taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by
thread, into the fabric of their lives."
-Leo Tolstoy-

Is it any wonder that the following sig file has generated
more complaints to my personal email than any other
controversial post I have made to date, bar none?:

CAVEAT
If you have to do things to your dog to train him that you
would rather not have to do, then you shouldn't be doing
them. If you have a dog trainer who tells you to jerk your
dog around, choke him, pinch his ears, or twist his toes,
shock, shake, slap, scold, hit, chin cuff, scruff shake or
punish your dog in any manner, that corrections
are appropriate, that the dog won't think of you as the
punisher, or that corrections are not harmful, or if they
can't train your dog to do what you want, look for a
trainer that knows HOWE.

Thank you,
Jerry Howe,
Director of Research,
BIOSOUND Scientific
Director of Training,
Wits' End Dog Training
1611 24th St
Orlando, FL 32805
Phone: 1-407-425-5092
Phone: 1-888-BIOSOUND (1-888-246-7686)
Phone: 1-888-WITSEND (1-888-948-7363)
http://www.doggydoright.com

Nature, to be mastered, must be obeyed.
-Francis Bacon-

There are terrible people who, instead of solving a
problem, bungle it and make it more difficult for all who
come after. Who ever can't hit the nail on the head
should, please, not hit at all.
-Nietzsche-

The abilities to think, rationalize and solve problems are
learned qualities.

The Wits' End Dog Training Method challenges the learning
centers in the dogs brain. These centers, once challenged,
develop and continue to grow to make him smarter.

The Wits' End Dog Training method capitalizes on
praising split seconds of canine thought, strategy, and
timing, not mindless hours of forced repetition, constant
corrections, and scolding.
-Jerry Howe-

The Puppy Wizard. <}TPW ; ~ ) >

ANY QUESTIONS, DUMMIES?
,-._,-,
V)"(V
(_o_) Have a great day!
/ V)
(l l l) Your Puppy Wizzzard. <}YPW ; ~ } >
oo-oo

HOWEDY Tony,

"GreaseBall Italian" <ItalianGreaseball@myPaisan.com> wrote in
message news:344500f.0309290657.4fa34eb7@posting.google.com...

> I have a 3 year old American Pit Bull Terrier that was
> constantly pissing and marking my home.

You mean he was indiscriminately relieving hisself
all over your HOWES. HOWEsbreaking is INSTINCTIVE.

Dogs do not have HOWEsbreaking problems, they're
UNABLE to control themselves because of ANXIHOWSNESS.

> I tried all of the commercial training methods.

The Puppy Wizard MOCKS traditional trainers and
behaviorISTS, eh professor SCRUFF SHAKE?

> Nothing worked.

INDEEDY. That's on accHOWENT of traditional
methods are OPPOSITIONAL and CONfrontational
and DETRIMENTAL to health and emotional well
being and are CONtraWIZE to human decency,
morals, ethics, and priniciples, eh disciple cad?

> I hired a professional trainer.

The Puppy Wizard will be GLAD to offer EXXXPERT
WITNESS TESTIMONY if you'd like to get your hard
earned dough back.

> Nothing worked.

INDEEDY. The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits'
End Dog Training Method Manual Students REPORT
100% TOTAL NEAR INSTANT SUCCESS, maybe
even FASTER.

> I sought advice on Usenet.

>From HOWER Gang Of Lying Dog Abusing Punk
Thug Cowards and CERTIFIED MENTAL CASES???

BEEEWWWAAAAAHAHAHAAAHAHAAAA!!!

> Nothing worked

INDEEDY. We've hear this story cHOWENTLESS TIMES.

HOWER DOG LOVERS call The Puppy Wizard's FREE
WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual Students
LIARS, PAID SHILLS, and FORGERIES by The Puppy
Wizard.

The Puppy Wizard has IDENTIFIED, EXXXPOSED and
DISCREDITED them cHOWENTLESS times, but like
street urchin Thugs, they HAVE NO SHAME and CONtinue
DESPITE KNOWING they've been EXXXPOSED and
CAUGHT IN THE ACT of LYING to DEFEND their alleged
RIGHT to HURT INTIMIDATE and KILL dogs as they see fit.

> until I found the free training manual of Jerry Howe in
> Florida, AKA The Puppy Wizard.

INDEEDY. If The Puppy Wizard FAILS to train a dog
HE'LL GET THE HEEL HOWETA THIS BUSINESS.

But The Puppy Wizard cannot do it withHOWET YOUR HELP.
You've got to follow the instructions PRECISELY and ASK
FOR HELP if you experience difficulty. There's NO dog
who cannot be trained to acceptable levels of discipline
if we follow the SCIENTIFICE and PSYCHOLOGICAL
techniques EXXXACTLY.

> Let me tell you all that my dog did a complete 180
> degree turn.

INDEEDY. As ALL The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW
Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual Students
REPORT RIGHT HERE... you know, the WONS HOWER
DOG LOVERS CALL LIARS.

That'd be YOU, Tony.... HOWE'S THAT FEEL?

The Puppy Wizard has been maligned and called
a LIAR for five solid years, Tony. The Puppy Wizard
has PLANS, Tony. The Puppy Wizard is abHOWET
to drop the hammer on the entire goddamned industry
all a WONCE.

> The dog has not pissed or shit in my home ever since!

As it should be is HOWE IT IS.

> I just wanted to pass this on as a public service!

Thank you, Tony.

The Puppy Wizard will be looking forward to a
lecture series on dog and child rearing come
the new year with HIS associate Dr. George
Von Hilshiemer.

The Puppy Wizard hopes to meet you and your
family at a location near you.

All the best.

The Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >

"misty" <Momisty@webtv.net wrote in message
news: 16990-3CAB1F8C-1@storefull-2293.public.lawson.webtv.net...

I don't now whether Peach is dead or alive. I do know she's
not here with us. I really can't blame anyone here for her loss.

I'm the one who ignored your advice. I did it because of how you
write/wrote. I was unwilling to accept the idea that my using a
shock collar could have any bearing on Peach not wanting to stay
home. Up until I started using it my main concern had been keeping
my dogs in their own yard.

Once I started using the e-fence... well, then my concern
became how to keep them from running off for days on end.

I lost valuable training time becoming embroiled in the anti-
shock debate and the "Jerry sux" tirades.

I lost one dog but I have the bestest dog in the world now
<g A Wits End Trained dog, one who is completely housetrained,
doesn't chew up stuff, stays in the yard, and doesn't bark all
the time. IOW a great companion and friend.

Thanks Jerry!

=====================

> We just installed a PetSafe brand fence this Spring. Two dogs,
> two collars We now have one dog and no collars.

> Peach and Zelda would run thru the fence, not want to come
> back in the yard and would run for days. The last time, Peach
> didn't come back home.

> I used the Wit's End Training Manual to learn how to train my
> dog. She is now border trained. A few minutes each day
> reinforces her desire to stay in the yard. She no longer runs
> out into the road, I can stop her from chasing cats and she no
> longer cringes when we walk around the yard.

> I can not say loud or long enough how much I hate the e-fence
> and its collars. If you can't get a regular fence then you need
> to train your dog. I will never rely on an electronic collar to
> keep my dog in our yard again.

> The price was too high:-(

> ~misty

--------------------------------

"JoeTheGuru" <joetheguru@hotmail.com.NOSPAM wrote in
message
news: 3cab77eb$0$9993$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...

JERRY SAVE THIS LAD!!!!

or it could be a troll <are you a troll??
do not use it on your dog.....

would you use it on your best friend.....

I have read jerry's book, it seems too easy at first.
however I started to use some of the training out of it and now.

I have a dog that heels as fast as a collie in a
trial.<great dane X mastiff

I have a dog that stays and never leaves the spot.

I have a dog that comes when ever I call.

I have a dog that never leaves the yard, never runs away.

I have a dog that stands still to be washed
with the cold hose.

I have a dog that never pulls on
the lead when we walk.

I have a dog that puts up with more abuse then a
dog should from my 2 year old <and loves it

I have a dog that barks at the fence only when some ones there.

I have a dog that would not care less if there is
another dog in the park <only wants to be with and
please me though a lot of this is due to me training the dog
spending the time with the dog.

jerry's book showed me not to punish the dog. but
just to work with the dog. which I liked the idea of
hence why I tried it. it is easy to become
frustrated with a dog when you are trying to train
them.

I look forward to my next puppy <ban dog> so
I can use the information from jerry's book
and see just how good a dog can get.

the dog I have now was when I picked her up from
the RSPCA. she could not walk on a lead <no idea.
cowered from every noise <and wet her self, messed
in the house at every turn. acted like I was killing her
when I dragged her over to the mess.

this was A 6 month old pup that had been beaten
<2.5 feet to the shoulder. I could of taken her back
however I knew I could bring her back to being to
be a dog.

the dog I have now at 1.5 years <same dog is a dog
to be proud to walk down the street with <3 feet to
the shoulder and still growing.

so well behaved even when people walk passed with
a out of control dog. gentle with my child and trustworthy
< I never have to worry that my dog will bite her, only
have to worry if a stranger comes over to my child.
still that is not a worry, she places herself between my
child and the stranger.

I may be plugging jerry's book, however with the
crap out there it is good to see that someone has
moved forward. looked at a different way to train
dogs. yes he gets into people, and in their face
you should back off a little jerry however he is
sick of the bashing, choking, shocking, shaking
and everything else. so jerry save this lad from
ruining his dog. later, Joe

===================

<"Terri"@cyberhighway

> Hey, do like me, and killfile Jerry.
> He has millions of people aleady reading his posts and
> watching him extract his soggy foot out of his mouth!
> Out of these MILLIONS, I've only seen 2 naive childs
> come forward and actually believe in his training manual.

Robert Crim writes:

I assume that I and my wife are those two naive childs since
I freely admit to having read and, I hope, understood enough
of the manual and it's counterparts by John Fisher and the
posts of Marylin Rammell to believe and use it. This naive
child would like to say thank you to both Jerry and Marylin for
putting up with a constant barrage of really infantile crap at
the hands of supposedly adult dog lovers.

The other naive child (LSW) has to put up with the nagging
idea that if people like them had been posting earlier, maybe
we would not have had to hold the head of a really
magnificent animal in our arms while he was given the
needle and having to hug him and wait until he gasped
his last gasp.

To my mind, "naive" is believing you can terrorize a dog into
good behavior. Naive is believing that people that hide
behind fake names are more honest than people that use
their real names. Naive is thinking that dilettante dog
breeders and amateur "trainers" like Joey (lyingdogDUMMY,
j.h.) are the equal or better than those that have studied and
lived by their craft for decades.

"Stupid" is believing that people do not see kindergarten
level insults for what they are. Really stupid is believing that
people like Jerry Howe and Marylin Rammell are going to
just go away because you people act like fools. Why do you
act like fools? I really have no idea, and I don't really care.

> And, to date: I've not seen ONE come forward and actually
> admit to buying and having success with his little black
> box.

I think I'm going to get one myself for Father's day and take
it down to the Animal Shelter for their use and testing. You
would never believe the results, so you'll never know.

> Anyone by now that doesn't see a scam man coming by
> Jerry's posts deserves to get what is sure to be coming to
> him! LOL!

I don't see a "scam man", so I guess I and Longsuffering
Wife and Rollei will just have to get what we deserve, eh?
As Joey (Dogman) says, "poor Rollei.".......right.

>Terri

Yes it was, and that is sad.

Robert, Longsuffering Wife and Rollei (do I get to listen to the
box first?)

Hello People,

Robert Crim was a former Gang Of Thugs Member, and
hated me a much as the rest of our Thugs do. Robert was a
long time friend and prominent contributor to rpdb, till Jerry
came along and smartened him up. He learned the hard
way, and no longer posts to his former pals, because it is
just too painful knowing his pals would rather HURT and
KILL their dogs than to admit that JERRY is RIGHT.

[...]

2003-10-10 20:34:38 EST
Unfortunately, puppy classes alone are not enough. Dogs like GSD's need life
long lessons/training sessions--they need a "job" to do and obedience is a
fun and useful job. You could also look into Tracking. I think she may not
be suitable for Shutzhund or Agility b/c of the aggression issue.

If the breeder did take her back she'd probably just put her down. I agree
that it is very unlikely that you will get your money back. I totally agree
about getting her spayed--it may help with the aggression problem
too--however, when one female decides that she doesn't like another female
it's nearly impossible to stop the fighting (so I hear).

Rescue societies are groups of volunteers who love a particular breed and
find them new homes. They tend to be very knowledgeable about the breed, the
most common issues (aggression is a big one) and frequently foster dogs in
their home and get them ready for another home. By contacting a GSD rescue
in your area and explaining your problem they may be able to help you so
that you won't have to give her up. Type "GSD Rescue" and the state you live
in and you should find a group fairly close to you--contact any of them and
they will put you in contact with a local group.

One last note, I agree with Bobbie that you should not hit the dog. It will
not solve your problem and will only cause your relationship with her to
deteriorate.

Best of luck,
--

> [...]
> >
> > 3) Contact a behaviorist to come and watch the interaction between your
> > dogs, it is near impossible to diagnose aggression issues over the
> internet.
> >
> > If you decide to "get rid of her" be upfront with people that she
belongs
> in
> > a one-dog home. A GSD rescue will be your best bet for re-homing her.
> >
> > my .02
> >
> > --
> > Kristen and
> > Kali CD, CGC, TDIA, TT
> > www.kristenandkali.com
> >

> > "Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD" <rudym@net-link.net> wrote in message
> > > My daughter has a German Shepherd AKC/UKC female about 18 months old
who
> > is
> > > starting to turn mean. We need help with this dog or we must get rid

The Puppy Wizard
2003-10-11 22:52:25 EST

"Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD" <rudym@net-link.net> wrote in message
> My daughter has a German Shepherd AKC/UKC female about
> 18 months old who is starting to turn mean

HOWEDY Linda,