Dog Discussion: My Dog Killed A Cat

My Dog Killed A Cat

Song
2006-02-05 22:38:59 EST
hello all--been a while since I have lurked or posted here, but feel the
need tonight. Last night my dog killed the neighbor's cat. I had been out
until about dusk. I let the dog in and noticed a distinct odor about his
face and breath. I asked him if he "hurt the kitty," and he slithered off
from the bench next to me and into his bed, turning his back to me, trying
to hide. I found the cat's stiff, slobbery body right at the shed door. No
blood that I could see. The neighbor's own dog acted guilty as well, but he
didn't have the scent as strong on him.

Called the neighbor (my landlord--we live in the same building) on his cell.
He and the kids were out, thank God, so I was able to bury the cat before
they got home. My landlord was not very upset, said the cat was always
reclusive, and had never had much of a life living in a shed on the
property. (This morning he said it was partially his fault because he
realized that the cat had been out of food, and he wasn't sure for how
long.) He claims she hardly ever came out of the shed (and it rather smells
like it). He told me not to "worry about it." That it might be "all for
the best."

For whom? I told the dog that he really f*****-up my Saturday night, missed
most of my radio show burying a dead cat (after showing it to the dog,
busting him in the shoulder, scolding him) and wiping his face down
alternately with Citrasolve, then Frebreeze-soaked papertowels, all the
while scolding, "BAD DOG" for "hurting the kitty," and "You killed the
kitty! Bad dog!"

Then I had to cry through my own batch of emotions over it. I felt bad that
the cat was dead, and worst of all, my dog killed it. I usually cuddle with
him in the evenings, but not last night. I am very disappointed with the
dog--who I have had since August 04. He will be approx. 3 this month. He
is a mixed breed, perhaps Jindo/Shar Pei/Chow--a genuine GOKWE (God only
knows what else). A 45 pound reddish/sable, brush-tailed, uppity-eared dog.
He is generally a very sweet, but serious fellow--was described as "stoic"
by one of the vet techs where he boarded for 5 days. I call that his
"Buddha mode." Very alert and serious about the eye, without much sense of
play, and cautious of strangers.

He has a very strong prey drive, obviously. I am fortunate that my
neighbor/landlord is not upset and I don't have to have the dog killed. The
dog, after all, was doing what any keen-sensed predator would do. Mountain
lion did the same thing to the dog I had before getting this one, only I
never found a body.

For Christmas I got the dog a plush squeaky-toy, a badger. I have taken
that away from him, and today kept him tied in the yard for short spurts,
totally supervised. He is usually allowed to run free all day. I gave him
another talking-to this evening about "kitties" and how disappointed I am in
him, and have been withholding the generous petting, scratching, rubbing,
and sweet-talk that I normally lavish on him. The little fellow who usually
inspires glee in me has really let me down. I'm bummed.

I googled the subject line of this post and read loads of similar
experiences. Also asked a friend who said aside from him needing to have
close supervision and no fuzzy squeaky toys, that I should let the dog feel
my anger and disappointment, and not make up with him too fast. Tomorrow, I
am going to call my vet and ask him to opine on the matter. I feel rotten
about it.

Thanks for reading, if anybody got this far...

and as to weirdo puppy wizard, with all your many pseudonyms--you're blocked
as far as I know, and you're easy to bonk. Concentrate on the audience of
those who are naive, and have the innocent, yet ill-placed good taste to
object to your idiocy.

may you all be and sleep well

spw

John Wesley
2006-02-05 23:07:31 EST
In article <nxzFf.6287$ur7.1089@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, so-
w*t@what-it-is.now says...
> hello all--been a while since I have lurked or posted here, but feel the
> need tonight. Last night my dog killed the neighbor's cat. I had been out
> until about dusk.

Where are you? I got a feral cat I need rid of. Maybe you and I can
work something out.

jw

Michael A. Ball
2006-02-06 15:40:29 EST
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 03:38:59 GMT, "song" <so-what@what-it-is.now> wrote:

In lieu of a police report/law suit, I'd have rewarded my dog with a yummy treat and extra
hugs. I might even drink a soda!

Whatever it takes.

P*@MuchoMail.Com
2006-02-06 17:19:54 EST
HOWEDY song,

NICE WORK!

The Amazing Puppy Wizard SEZ "DECENT
PEOPLE DO NOT POST HERE abHOWETS".

THANK YOU for PROOVIN IT. AGAIN.

BWEEEEAAAAHAHAHAHHAAAAA!!!

From: "lindalee" <llindaleedan...@msn.com>
Date: 21 Jan 2006 18:34:10 -0800

Subject: Chasing squirrels

I have not posted to the group for awhile but want to share my success
of teaching my dog Sunshine, who has a very high prey drive, to not go
after squirrels when on a walk. It took a few trials but he can now
walk right past squirrels running up a tree or in a yard.

Using Jerry Howe's approach I used a sound to get his attention when
he saw a squirrel and then praised him and kept on walking past the
squirrel. Where we live in Michigan we lots of squirrels and he was
always wanting to chase them up a tree. Jerry's approach of sound
and praise really works.

I think the people who discount his methods have never tried the
method because it works everytine. Sometimes it takes a little
practice to get the sound from different directions but I was able to
change Sunshine's behavior in just a week after we moved back to
Michigan.

Sunshine is a very sensitive dog so any physical corrections just won't
work but using sound and praise he is a really great dog who opens
doors, picks up things I drop, and and helps me a lot. If you have a
behavior problem with your dog get a copy of Jerrry's manual and
solve your problem!

From: Ama...@dcfwatch.com (Ama...@DCFWatch.com) r
Date: 25 Dec 2002 20:31:19 -0800

Subject: Re: Dog is going to rip my arm off!

No, the dog learned that I would hold still the second she began to
pull. She would pull to go where *she* wanted. Well if she wanted to
stop and go in another direction.. say to sniff my neighbors yard..
she learned if she wanted to do it I would stop walking and she could
go.. and if there wasn't enough slack on her lead she would just pull
me. Then when she got done doing *her* thing, she woudl heal.. smile
at me and wait for me to say "let's go" and finish *my* thing. I
would refuse to move .. i looked like an idiot.. freezing mid walk for
minutes waiting for *my* dog to heel and give *me* permission to go
again. I did the treats and the let's go... she got to do her stuff
and get a cookie.. if she even wanted the cookie.

I wound up calling Jerry.. as I have a half red nose pit and half
amstaff.. who is incredibly protective.. we had a new pup on the way..
and i needed help.. i followed petsmarts trainnign guides.. memorized
them... and they *did* work, don't get me wrong.. but only when my pet
wanted a cookie or felt the cookie was better than what she wanted..
which was not often. She quickly learned to ignore my commands if she
could see my hands were empty. So I called Jerry... he chatted me for
about an horu and a half.. gave me his link... and even when i had
probs intro'ing the pup he called me withni5 mins of my email for help
at 10pm on a sunday night. One.. singular.. uno family pack exercise
after the hot and cold exercise and i could zig zag down my street..
about face .. whatever.. and never had tension. two men were acrossed
the street and she walked right by them... ordinarily she'd snarl and
protect us. And in two days.. my dog.. who bit the puppy if he even
looked like he was going near my husband or kids.. is nursing him
every hour.. cleaning him.. rough housing gently.. and teaching him to
go potty outside.. actually watches him to make sure he doesn't go in
the house... and has milk.. which is awesome since she's 19 months old
and has never had a litter.

She also has stopped barking non stop at our neighbor's dogs and pig..
does not bark at eveyr car that drives by and has stopped jumping on
people. she's even starting to ignore our cat who has lived on her
dome litter box and our window sill (literally) for over a year and a
half. She also does her commands on cue.. and doesn't look for a
treat.
song wrote:
> [...]
> and sweet-talk that I normally lavish on him. The little fellow who usually
> inspires glee in me has really let me down. I'm bummed.
>
> I googled the subject line of this post and read loads of similar
> experiences. Also asked a friend who said aside from him needing to have
> close supervision and no fuzzy squeaky toys, that I should let the dog feel
> my anger and disappointment, and not make up with him too fast. Tomorrow, I
> am going to call my vet and ask him to opine on the matter. I feel rotten
> about it.
>
> Thanks for reading, if anybody got this far...
>
> and as to weirdo puppy wizard, with all your many pseudonyms--you're blocked
> as far as I know, and you're easy to bonk. Concentrate on the audience of
> those who are naive, and have the innocent, yet ill-placed good taste to

Song
2006-02-06 20:15:12 EST

"John Wesley" <JohnWesley1987@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <nxzFf.6287$ur7.1089@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, so-
> what@what-it-is.now says...
>> hello all--been a while since I have lurked or posted here, but feel the
>> need tonight. Last night my dog killed the neighbor's cat. I had been
>> out
>> until about dusk.
>
> Where are you? I got a feral cat I need rid of. Maybe you and I can
> work something out.
>
> jw

lol

spw

Song
2006-02-06 20:16:19 EST

"Michael A. Ball" <Guardian@wireco.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 03:38:59 GMT, "song" <so-what@what-it-is.now> wrote:

> In lieu of a police report/law suit, I'd have rewarded my dog with a yummy
> treat and extra
> hugs. I might even drink a soda!
>
> Whatever it takes.

I appreciate the levity, Michael. thanx

spw

John Oliver
2006-02-06 21:04:37 EST
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 03:38:59 GMT, song wrote:
> For whom? I told the dog that he really f*****-up my Saturday night, missed
> most of my radio show burying a dead cat (after showing it to the dog,
> busting him in the shoulder, scolding him) and wiping his face down
> alternately with Citrasolve, then Frebreeze-soaked papertowels, all the
> while scolding, "BAD DOG" for "hurting the kitty," and "You killed the
> kitty! Bad dog!"
>
> For Christmas I got the dog a plush squeaky-toy, a badger. I have taken
> that away from him, and today kept him tied in the yard for short spurts,
> totally supervised. He is usually allowed to run free all day. I gave him
> another talking-to this evening about "kitties" and how disappointed I am in
> him, and have been withholding the generous petting, scratching, rubbing,
> and sweet-talk that I normally lavish on him. The little fellow who usually
> inspires glee in me has really let me down. I'm bummed.

I understand that you're upset, but none of this is "correcting" or
"disciplining" your dog. Dogs live very much in the moment... negative
reinforcement must be applied immediately or not at all.

Let your dog run free again. Make sure he can't get out of the yard.
Give him his toys back, and continue to love him. If there's any real
chance that he might have a chance to go after other cats or dogs, see a
behaviorist. There are things that can get him back on the "right
track", but the things you're doing now are just confusing and scaring
him.

* Reform California gun laws - http://www.reformcagunlaws.com/ *
* http://www.gunownersca.com - http://www.crpa.org/ *
* San Diego shooters come to http://shooting.forsandiego.com/ *

T*@HushMail.Com
2006-02-06 22:32:30 EST
HOWEDY song,

Your nefHOWEND pal mikey AIN'T KIDDIN. He's a
SADIST and a MENTAL CASE. mikey MURDERS
innocent defenseless dumb critters at the SHELTER
and murders kats on the street for PLEASURE.

Like diddler does.

ENJOY your newfHOWEND friends!

("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._
`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)
(_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-'
_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'
(((' (((-((('' ((((

|\ _.-'~~""'~`'~)
/, ~-,__,,,.'~ ,-;;--''
|,4) ./ ' ; ;/'
'-~~;'@ ( ; ;
_.--'' _.-_..' .;.'
(,_..----''' (,..--''

Meow

/\_/\
(='.'=)
(")_(")

/),,/)
( ' ; ') kiss me
(,,)-(,,)

/),,/)
(' ; ') kiss me here
(,,)-(,,)

/),,/)
( ; ' ) kiss me here
(,,)-(,,)

/),,/)
( ; ) kiss me here
(,,)-(,,)

/)
( * ) and KISS ME HERE!
(,,)-(,,)

The Amazing Pussy Wizard <{@); ~ } >

<{#}: ~ } >8< { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > http://www.tinyurl.com/7bl5u < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } >8< { ~ :{@}>

Please DON'T BE The Amazing Pussy Wizard's PREY.

IT AIN'T PRETTY.

<(@}; ~ } >

song wrote:
> "Michael A. Ball" <Guardian@wireco.net> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 03:38:59 GMT, "song" <so-what@what-it-is.now> wrote:

> > In lieu of a police report/law suit, I'd have rewarded my dog with a yummy
> > treat and extra
> > hugs. I might even drink a soda!
> >
> > Whatever it takes.
>
> I appreciate the levity, Michael. thanx
>
> spw

Michael A. Ball
2006-02-07 09:15:32 EST
On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 01:16:19 GMT, "song" <so-what@what-it-is.now> wrote:

>> In lieu of a police report/law suit, I'd have rewarded my dog with a yummy
>> treat and extra hugs. I might even drink a soda!
>
>I appreciate the levity, Michael. thanx

"Levity"? You don't know me very well.

I hope you're feeling better about this incident. It could have been far worse.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.

Song
2006-02-07 11:20:20 EST

"John Oliver" <joliver@john-oliver.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 03:38:59 GMT, song wrote:

Thanks for your input John.

> I understand that you're upset, but none of this is "correcting" or
> "disciplining" your dog. Dogs live very much in the moment... negative
> reinforcement must be applied immediately or not at all.

He got immediate (at least as close as I could get) discipline. He knows
"kittie" and he knew he did wrong as soon as I said the word.

> Let your dog run free again. Make sure he can't get out of the yard.

He got off leash yesterday and he never could get out of the yard.

> Give him his toys back,

He only has the one and has never been that interested in it. He is not
that interested in toys, doesn't really understand "play" as far as I have
been able to tell. According to a trainer I contacted, he probably should
not have fuzzy toys.

>and continue to love him.

That is a given. Withholding the love was very hard on me.

>If there's any real
> chance that he might have a chance to go after other cats or dogs, see a
> behaviorist.

I can't afford a behaviorist right now (no job-no income).

>There are things that can get him back on the "right
> track",

I am interested in knowing what these "things" are.

>but the things you're doing now are just confusing and scaring
> him.

Less than 36 hours went by before he was getting his loves again.