Dog Discussion: Yellow Lab Who Won't Eat His Dish

Yellow Lab Who Won't Eat His Dish

Mark Kane
2006-01-09 14:09:41 EST
Hi everyone. I've got a 5 year old Yellow Lab male who more and more is
not eating his dish of kibbles mixed with canned food. Without getting
into too far back history, here is the most recent sequence:

He used to eat Nutra kibble straight into his dish, and sometimes maybe
with a little water on top acting as "gravy". He got bored of that and
stopped eating, so he tried "Chicken Soup For The Dog Lover's Soul"
kibbles. With a dish of Nutra and Chicken Soup kibbles next to each
other, he went right for the Chicken Soup and ate that for a while. He
then got bored of that after a couple of months and went on another food
strike. He would not eat it so I tried getting some cans of Kibbles and
Bits and mixing it in with his dish.

He went for that for a few months and that was fine, but then he started
not eating that much either. I tried Chicken Soup cans mixed in with
the Chicken Soup kibbles and he sometimes eats that. I've also tried the
more expensive Merrick cans mixed with dry and sometimes he'll eat that
and other times not.

The bigger problem is that more and more in the last couple weeks he
won't eat any of it. I got him 12 cans of various Merrick flavors and
Chicken Soup cans for Christmas which I mix with the dry every day.
Lately he'll stick his nose on it, and then come back to the kitchen to
sit and stare at me. I've even tried kibbles on one side of the dish and
Merrick on the other in which case he will either sort it and eat most
of the canned, or not touch any of it. It's sad that he won't eat the
$2/can dog food and it is just wasted.

For treats he gets MILK-BONEs as well as Pedigree Breath Busters. He
does get some human food which may be part of the reason he is not
eating, but back when he stopped eating the Nutro and even before that
when he wouldn't eat other things like Hills, he wasn't getting much
human food at all. Now, I usually make him some scrambled eggs in the
morning and he gobbles those right up. He also gets a little bit of
fresh sandwich turkey/ham for lunch. Not much, but a few trimmings.

I am guessing that the common answer would be that he's spoiled because
of the human food. I think that's part of it, but again, he always used
to be picky about kibbles and get bored with what was put down for him
even when he very rarely got human food. The solution was trying
different kibble brands which he got interested in for a while, but then
got bored with. Now if he won't eat the expensive cans with the kibbles,
then what is a guy to do?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

-Mark

Picture:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/mixx941/lucky.jpg

Marcel Beaudoin
2006-01-09 14:36:44 EST
Follow-ups set to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Mark Kane <mark_nospam@mkproductions.org> wrote in news:Vxywf.14940$oW.7915
@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

> I am guessing that the common answer would be that he's spoiled because
> of the human food. I think that's part of it, but again, he always used
> to be picky about kibbles and get bored with what was put down for him
> even when he very rarely got human food. The solution was trying
> different kibble brands which he got interested in for a while, but then
> got bored with. Now if he won't eat the expensive cans with the kibbles,
> then what is a guy to do?

One possibility that should not be ruled out is a medical problem. If his
annual is coming up soon, it might not be a bad idea to try to move it up a
little bit. If not, you might want to schedule one soon.

Of course, there is also the strong possibility, like Mark mentioned, that
he has realized that anytime he starts refusing food, he gets something
tastier for him and he is playing you.

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

L*@paulbunyan.net
2006-01-09 15:38:41 EST
Good advice has been heard from all. It is not unusual for a dog to go
off of their food for a day or two. I don't worry till the third day.

I feed kibble only and never human food. I put their food down twice a
day and they almost always eat all in less than a minute. I has
occasionally happened, however, that my one dog didn't eat for a day or
two. I have since learned that this is not unusual and nothing to
worry about. Just fee Fido on a regular schedule, night and day. Give
him a maybe 10 or 15 minutes to finish then remove all food. Always
offer plenty of fresh water. He will get the idea soon enough.

Shelly
2006-01-09 15:42:05 EST
l*y@paulbunyan.net wrote:
> I has
> occasionally happened, however, that my one dog didn't eat for a day or
> two. I have since learned that this is not unusual and nothing to
> worry about.

that really depends on the dog, so it's important to know your dog,
so you can make good decisions about whether or not to be concerned.
i know that if my Boxer doesn't immediately inhale her food,
there's something *seriously* wrong with her, and it's time to take
her to the vet ASAP. loss of appetite in some dogs is a signal to
seek emergency care.

--
shelly
http://www.cat-sidh.net

A*@HushMail.Com
2006-01-09 17:35:46 EST
HOWEDY Mark,

Mark Kane wrote:
> Hi everyone.

You mean HOWEDY Gang Of Lying Dog Abusing Punk Thug
Cowards And Active Acute Chronic Long Term INCURABLE
MENTAL CASE <{) ; ~ ) >

If you DHOWET THAT, The Amazing Puppy Wizard will eagerly
provide their own POSTED CASE HISTORIES of HURTIN INTIMIDATIN
and MURDERIN innocent defenseless dumb critters.

> I've got a 5 year old Yellow Lab male who more and more is
> not eating his dish of kibbles mixed with canned food. Without getting
> into too far back history, here is the most recent sequence:

<SNIP>

> I am guessing that the common answer would be that he's spoiled because
> of the human food. I think that's part of it, but again, he always used
> to be picky about kibbles and get bored with what was put down for him
> even when he very rarely got human food. The solution was trying
> different kibble brands which he got interested in for a while, but then
> got bored with. Now if he won't eat the expensive cans with the kibbles,
> then what is a guy to do?

Commercial dog food is GARBAGE.

> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Save your hard earned dough and
feed your dog sumpthin you'd eat:

Breakfast At The Puppy Wizard's -
Chez du Chien - Gourmet Recipies

Here's HOWE The Puppy Wizard feeds his dogs:

HOWEDY People,

Unbeknownst to yourselves, this has been a difficult
couple weeks for Your Puppy Wizard. Not to complain,
but he's been necessarily temporarily abandoned by
his Mrs.Puppy Wizard who had to attend to affairs out
of town for nine days.

Left alone, helpless and hapless to cope with domestic
and personal needs, to fend for HISSELF and his pups by
his own devices, his Mrs. Puppy Wizard HOWEver, is
considerate and foresighted enough to prepare His table
before him, in advance, and even calls to remind him to
breath, when necessary.

Your Puppy Wizard requires little from the physical realm,
existing primarily on prahana and nirvana as his staple diet.

HOWEver, HIS puppies unfortunately cannot thrive in the
physical world without the grounding effects of the evils
of wholesome food.

Mrs. Puppy Wizard prepares daily, fresh, well balanced
HOWES cooked meals. When Mrs. Puppy Wizard travels
occasionally, she prepares for the days of lean in advance,
by freezing two weeks worth of puppy chow and posting the
culinary instructions on the Puppy Wizard's coffee can, the
only physical need The Puppy Wizard requires, beyond his
internet connection and of course, his Mrs. Puppy Wizard
and puppies. But those are givens, naturally.

Mrs. Puppy Wizard prepares 2 meals a day. The following
recipe is for about a 100 pound dog:

Breakfast is half pound raw ground turkey, green
Source, and 1gram vitamin C, and a *Iams cookie
*(cause she LIKES to).

Dinner is 2 cups cooked rice, a tablespoon of rolled
oats and an ounce of hamburg. When the rice and oats
cool, add half cup pinto or similar beans, ground fine in
the food processor with equal amounts raw collard or
similar greens or your dog's favorite vegetable or
cabbage, a tablespoon or two Olive or Cannola oil,
half clove garlic, mixed with 1/2 pound raw ground
turkey, a good vitamin / mineral supplement (Green
Source for People), calcium and magnesium, 1 gram
vitamin C.

Addition of table scraps is encouraged, bear in mind
salt can be dangerous. The Puppy Wizard's diet is
environmentally friendly and will not produce noxious
gasses provided the vegetable and beans are ground
finely and because the Green Source contains digestive
enzmyes.

BONE APETITE!

Here's your FREE copy of The Amazing Puppy
Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training
Method Manual:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G­­34D2527A

Just ASK The Amazing Puppy Wizard if you
need any additional FREE heelp. There's NO
arbritrary INFORMATION in your FREE copy
of The Amazing Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW
Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual so
study it well and do and follow ALL the
EXXXERCISES AS INSTRUCTED... it's a
PRECISE SCIENCE or it COULDN'T GET
100% CONSISTENT NEARLY INSTANT
SUCCESS for all handlers and all dogs in
all fields or utilities and behaviors all over
the Whole Wild World <{) ; ~ ) >

Spot
2006-01-09 18:21:44 EST
I would think a dog who did this had some sort of medical problem you should
schedule a vet visit soon. Even when they go off one food from boredom they
usually will like something else so this would have me seriously concerned.

Celeste

"Mark Kane" <mark_nospam@mkproductions.org> wrote in message
> Hi everyone. I've got a 5 year old Yellow Lab male who more and more is
> not eating his dish of kibbles mixed with canned food. Without getting
> into too far back history, here is the most recent sequence:
>
> He used to eat Nutra kibble straight into his dish, and sometimes maybe
> with a little water on top acting as "gravy". He got bored of that and
> stopped eating, so he tried "Chicken Soup For The Dog Lover's Soul"
> kibbles. With a dish of Nutra and Chicken Soup kibbles next to each
> other, he went right for the Chicken Soup and ate that for a while. He
> then got bored of that after a couple of months and went on another food
> strike. He would not eat it so I tried getting some cans of Kibbles and
> Bits and mixing it in with his dish.
>
> He went for that for a few months and that was fine, but then he started
> not eating that much either. I tried Chicken Soup cans mixed in with
> the Chicken Soup kibbles and he sometimes eats that. I've also tried the
> more expensive Merrick cans mixed with dry and sometimes he'll eat that
> and other times not.
>
> The bigger problem is that more and more in the last couple weeks he
> won't eat any of it. I got him 12 cans of various Merrick flavors and
> Chicken Soup cans for Christmas which I mix with the dry every day.
> Lately he'll stick his nose on it, and then come back to the kitchen to
> sit and stare at me. I've even tried kibbles on one side of the dish and
> Merrick on the other in which case he will either sort it and eat most
> of the canned, or not touch any of it. It's sad that he won't eat the
> $2/can dog food and it is just wasted.
>
> For treats he gets MILK-BONEs as well as Pedigree Breath Busters. He
> does get some human food which may be part of the reason he is not
> eating, but back when he stopped eating the Nutro and even before that
> when he wouldn't eat other things like Hills, he wasn't getting much
> human food at all. Now, I usually make him some scrambled eggs in the
> morning and he gobbles those right up. He also gets a little bit of
> fresh sandwich turkey/ham for lunch. Not much, but a few trimmings.
>
> I am guessing that the common answer would be that he's spoiled because
> of the human food. I think that's part of it, but again, he always used
> to be picky about kibbles and get bored with what was put down for him
> even when he very rarely got human food. The solution was trying
> different kibble brands which he got interested in for a while, but then
> got bored with. Now if he won't eat the expensive cans with the kibbles,
> then what is a guy to do?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
>
> -Mark
>
> Picture:
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/mixx941/lucky.jpg

Aled Evans
2006-01-10 06:42:21 EST
Our bichon frise dog had some neurological problems last year, which our vet
said could be linked to a poor diet.

Basically I was led to believe that most dog food is junk food.We now feed
him a diet of human food including chicken and lots of fish as well as Amway
rare breed dog food.Also of great benefit to Jac was wearing a magnetic dog
collar.
Please contact me if you want further information.

Aled Evans
www.letsescape.co.uk
www.healthmagnet.ik.com
<*y@HushMail.Com> wrote in
message news:1136846146.155032.159180@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
HOWEDY Mark,

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G\ufffd\ufffd34D2527A

Just ASK The Amazing Puppy Wizard if you
need any additional FREE heelp. There's NO
arbritrary INFORMATION in your FREE copy
of The Amazing Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW
Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual so
study it well and do and follow ALL the
EXXXERCISES AS INSTRUCTED... it's a
PRECISE SCIENCE or it COULDN'T GET
100% CONSISTENT NEARLY INSTANT
SUCCESS for all handlers and all dogs in
all fields or utilities and behaviors all over
the Whole Wild World <{) ; ~ ) >

Bob Burns
2006-01-10 09:01:38 EST
I feed Rollo once a day, in the morning. (Actually, I feed him while my
bagel is toasting.) If he eats, fine, if not, that's his choice. Sometimes
he'll eat later in the day or skip a day. No big deal- he's very healthy!

--
Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA

"Mark Kane" <mark_nospam@mkproductions.org> wrote in message
> Hi everyone. I've got a 5 year old Yellow Lab male who more and more is
> not eating his dish of kibbles mixed with canned food. Without getting
> into too far back history, here is the most recent sequence:
>
> He used to eat Nutra kibble straight into his dish, and sometimes maybe
> with a little water on top acting as "gravy". He got bored of that and
> stopped eating, so he tried "Chicken Soup For The Dog Lover's Soul"
> kibbles. With a dish of Nutra and Chicken Soup kibbles next to each
> other, he went right for the Chicken Soup and ate that for a while. He
> then got bored of that after a couple of months and went on another food
> strike. He would not eat it so I tried getting some cans of Kibbles and
> Bits and mixing it in with his dish.
>
> He went for that for a few months and that was fine, but then he started
> not eating that much either. I tried Chicken Soup cans mixed in with
> the Chicken Soup kibbles and he sometimes eats that. I've also tried the
> more expensive Merrick cans mixed with dry and sometimes he'll eat that
> and other times not.
>
> The bigger problem is that more and more in the last couple weeks he
> won't eat any of it. I got him 12 cans of various Merrick flavors and
> Chicken Soup cans for Christmas which I mix with the dry every day.
> Lately he'll stick his nose on it, and then come back to the kitchen to
> sit and stare at me. I've even tried kibbles on one side of the dish and
> Merrick on the other in which case he will either sort it and eat most
> of the canned, or not touch any of it. It's sad that he won't eat the
> $2/can dog food and it is just wasted.
>
> For treats he gets MILK-BONEs as well as Pedigree Breath Busters. He
> does get some human food which may be part of the reason he is not
> eating, but back when he stopped eating the Nutro and even before that
> when he wouldn't eat other things like Hills, he wasn't getting much
> human food at all. Now, I usually make him some scrambled eggs in the
> morning and he gobbles those right up. He also gets a little bit of
> fresh sandwich turkey/ham for lunch. Not much, but a few trimmings.
>
> I am guessing that the common answer would be that he's spoiled because
> of the human food. I think that's part of it, but again, he always used
> to be picky about kibbles and get bored with what was put down for him
> even when he very rarely got human food. The solution was trying
> different kibble brands which he got interested in for a while, but then
> got bored with. Now if he won't eat the expensive cans with the kibbles,
> then what is a guy to do?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
>
> -Mark
>
> Picture:
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/mixx941/lucky.jpg

Alison
2006-01-10 13:09:33 EST
"Mark Kane" <mark_nospam@mkproductions.org> wrote in message
> Hi everyone. I've got a 5 year old Yellow Lab male who more and more
is
> not eating his dish of kibbles mixed with canned food. Without
getting
> into too far back history, here is the most recent sequence:
>

> I am guessing that the common answer would be that he's spoiled
because
> of the human food. I think that's part of it, but again, he always
used
> to be picky about kibbles and get bored with what was put down for
him
> even when he very rarely got human food. The solution was trying
> different kibble brands which he got interested in for a while, but
then
> got bored with. Now if he won't eat the expensive cans with the
kibbles,
> then what is a guy to do?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
>
> -Mark
>
> Picture:
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/mixx941/lucky.jpg>>

He's a gorgeous dog-:) Labs are usually hoovers when it comes to
food.
I would cut out all the treats and human food for a start. Stick to
"wet" food
if he prefers it and change the brands every so often so he doesn't
get bored .
You can add a bit of kibble every now and then if you want.
Decide what time or times you want to feed him, put it down and leave
him to
get on with it , if it's not eaten within a certain time, take it away
. Don't say anything
and don't feed him anything until his next meal. Ignore any begging.
he should be ok to go without food for a couple of days unless he has
a medical condition, in which case you should check with your vet.
Make sure he gets enough exercise as it's a good appetite stimulant.
Alison

Mark Shaw
2006-01-10 13:23:40 EST
In rec.pets.dogs.behavior Alison <alison@xyzallofus2.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> He's a gorgeous dog-:) Labs are usually hoovers when it comes to
> food.
> I would cut out all the treats and human food for a start. Stick to
> "wet" food
> if he prefers it and change the brands every so often so he doesn't
> get bored .

This is very poor advice. Changing diet frequently can very
easily lead to digestive problems, and "wet" commercial dog
food is formulated more for the owner than for the dog - it's
certainly not very healthy.

--
Mark Shaw (And Baron) moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein