Dog Discussion: Diabetic Yorkshire Terrier Trouble

Diabetic Yorkshire Terrier Trouble

Phil L
2005-12-05 17:31:16 EST
Our dog has just been released from the vet hospital after spending a week
in there, when she went in she was vomitting black stuff and was really
unwell and her stomach was hard, the vet found that she was a dibateic
(despite six blood tests carried out in the past six months) and spent a
week getting her glucose and mineral levels right, however she still refused
to eat and the vet sent her home so that she may start eating and her
insulin injections could be normalized, but this is the crux of the problem,
she's been home for two days and hasn't eaten more than a teaspoonfull of
food, she has diaroeah and a thick discharge coming from her bottom, which
she had all the time she was with the vet, I'm thinking there's a blockage
here but the vet isn't interested and is only concerned with the
diabetes....she was over 5KG when she went in and she has lost almost 1.5kg
and her hair is thinning too, the discharge is leaving her bottom and tail
severely red and sore, I've pointed this out to the vet on numerous
occasions but she thinks it's all part of the diabetes/glucose thing, but
the dog must have been diabetic for months before it was discovered? - she
is wasting away and I'm almost certain there is a blockage but the vet won't
listen, she tried to charge me over \ufffd750 ($1,300) and didn't even carry out
an X-ray.
We are trying her with her normal food of boiled chicken and mixer but we
can't leave it down for her very long due to her diabetes, she is still very
sick in my view and the one person who could help her doesn't seem to know
what's going on, does anyone else with a diabetic dog have any information
on this?

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Pat
2005-12-05 17:46:59 EST

"Phil L" <neverchecked@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Our dog has just been released from the vet hospital after spending a
week
> in there, when she went in she was vomitting black stuff and was really
> unwell and her stomach was hard, the vet found that she was a dibateic
> (despite six blood tests carried out in the past six months) and spent a
> week getting her glucose and mineral levels right, however she still
refused
> to eat and the vet sent her home so that she may start eating and her
> insulin injections could be normalized, but this is the crux of the
problem,
> she's been home for two days and hasn't eaten more than a teaspoonfull
of
> food, she has diaroeah and a thick discharge coming from her bottom,
which
> she had all the time she was with the vet, I'm thinking there's a
blockage
> here but the vet isn't interested and is only concerned with the
> diabetes....she was over 5KG when she went in and she has lost almost
1.5kg
> and her hair is thinning too, the discharge is leaving her bottom and
tail
> severely red and sore, I've pointed this out to the vet on numerous
> occasions but she thinks it's all part of the diabetes/glucose thing,
but
> the dog must have been diabetic for months before it was discovered? -
she
> is wasting away and I'm almost certain there is a blockage but the vet
won't
> listen, she tried to charge me over \ufffd750 ($1,300) and didn't even carry
out
> an X-ray.
> We are trying her with her normal food of boiled chicken and mixer but
we
> can't leave it down for her very long due to her diabetes, she is still
very
> sick in my view and the one person who could help her doesn't seem to
know
> what's going on, does anyone else with a diabetic dog have any
information
> on this?
>
> --
> If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Hi,
Have her referred to a veterinary,college
I am not sure where you live.
I do not think you will regrete going.
Pat.

A Poor Shepherd Boy
2005-12-06 04:43:18 EST
HOWEDY Phil L.,

Don't sound like diabetes is causing those symptoms. Better get a
second opinion. HOWEver, that'll only treat the SYMPTOMS, not the
CAUSE of your dog's DEATHLY DIS-EASES. The crucial ligament
failure, the cysts on his eyes, the diabetes, they're ALL SYMPTOMS
of your dog DYIN (like MOST of the dog lover's dogs here) from
STRESS INDUCED AUTO-IMMUNE DIS-EASE aka The Puppy Wizard's
Syndrome <{) ; ~ ) >

<{#}: ~ } >8< { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > http://www.tinyurl.com/7bl5u < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } >8< { ~ :{@}>

The Amazing Puppy Wizard <{) ; ~ ) >

Phil L wrote:
> Our dog has just been released from the vet hospital after spending a week
> in there, when she went in she was vomitting black stuff and was really
> unwell and her stomach was hard, the vet found that she was a dibateic
> (despite six blood tests carried out in the past six months) and spent a
> week getting her glucose and mineral levels right, however she still refused
> to eat and the vet sent her home so that she may start eating and her
> insulin injections could be normalized, but this is the crux of the problem,
> she's been home for two days and hasn't eaten more than a teaspoonfull of
> food, she has diaroeah and a thick discharge coming from her bottom, which
> she had all the time she was with the vet, I'm thinking there's a blockage
> here but the vet isn't interested and is only concerned with the
> diabetes....she was over 5KG when she went in and she has lost almost 1.5kg
> and her hair is thinning too, the discharge is leaving her bottom and tail
> severely red and sore, I've pointed this out to the vet on numerous
> occasions but she thinks it's all part of the diabetes/glucose thing, but
> the dog must have been diabetic for months before it was discovered? - she
> is wasting away and I'm almost certain there is a blockage but the vet won't
> listen, she tried to charge me over £750 ($1,300) and didn't even carry out
> an X-ray.
> We are trying her with her normal food of boiled chicken and mixer but we
> can't leave it down for her very long due to her diabetes, she is still very
> sick in my view and the one person who could help her doesn't seem to know
> what's going on, does anyone else with a diabetic dog have any information
> on this?
>
> --
> If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

D*@yahoo.com
2005-12-06 08:41:38 EST
I would get a second opinion fast. Did your vet say how long she
thought it would take to normalize? Have they checked for a blockage?
Sounds like she is going to get dehydrated very quickly.

> Phil L wrote:
> > Our dog has just been released from the vet hospital after spending a week
> > in there, when she went in she was vomitting black stuff and was really
> > unwell and her stomach was hard, the vet found that she was a dibateic
> > (despite six blood tests carried out in the past six months) and spent a
> > week getting her glucose and mineral levels right, however she still refused
> > to eat and the vet sent her home so that she may start eating and her
> > insulin injections could be normalized, but this is the crux of the problem,
> > she's been home for two days and hasn't eaten more than a teaspoonfull of
> > food, she has diaroeah and a thick discharge coming from her bottom, which
> > she had all the time she was with the vet, I'm thinking there's a blockage
> > here but the vet isn't interested and is only concerned with the
> > diabetes....she was over 5KG when she went in and she has lost almost 1.5kg
> > and her hair is thinning too, the discharge is leaving her bottom and tail
> > severely red and sore, I've pointed this out to the vet on numerous
> > occasions but she thinks it's all part of the diabetes/glucose thing, but
> > the dog must have been diabetic for months before it was discovered? - she
> > is wasting away and I'm almost certain there is a blockage but the vet won't
> > listen, she tried to charge me over £750 ($1,300) and didn't even carry out
> > an X-ray.
> > We are trying her with her normal food of boiled chicken and mixer but we
> > can't leave it down for her very long due to her diabetes, she is still very
> > sick in my view and the one person who could help her doesn't seem to know
> > what's going on, does anyone else with a diabetic dog have any information
> > on this?
> >
> > --
> > If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

J. Martin
2005-12-06 21:07:57 EST

"Phil L" <neverchecked@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> she has diaroeah and a thick discharge coming from her >bottom,

Sounds like she needs to be admitted to hospital again. Perhaps at a
different vet if you weren't satisfied with the first. Has she been spayed?
If not I'd be suspicious of pyometra - a condition that causes her uterus
fill with pus. Treatment would involve stabilizing her in IV fluids and
then having her spayed.

T*@aol.com
2005-12-07 11:26:13 EST
Was she checked for Cushings, and/ or thyroid problems?
The discharge from her bottom may be an anal gland problem.

Regards

Phil L
2005-12-09 10:03:17 EST
Phil L wrote:

Thanks to all that replied, the dog has now started eating properly and her
diaroeah has cleared up, she is still very weak though but I put this down
to the bad episode she has been through, she plays with her toys and takes
gentle excercise daily, her blood glucose has levelled out and there are no
ketones showing neither, she does seem to have kennel cough, and this is
affecting her breathing though not severely.

Thanks