Dog Discussion: My First Female Dog Is Now In Heat.........

My First Female Dog Is Now In Heat.........

Diane Johnson
2005-11-28 04:09:00 EST
I have a lovely rot that is now in heat and I have never had to deal with
this kind of thing before. I just noticed the first few drops of blood an
hour ago so I have a few urgent questions.

1. How long will this last.
2. I have a 7month old male pug....is he likely to be sexually mature, and
is it possible for a 80lb rot to mate with a tiny pug?
3. Our pug doesn't seem to be interrested in her yet, but if he does, what
should I expect, and what should I do?
4. Does a bitch in heat behave differently than when she isn't in heat?
5. There doesn't seem to be any dogs loose around here, but when I'm
walking my dog should I worry about horney dogs trying to get between me and
mine. In other words...is there a real chance of me getting bitten or hurt?
6. What kind of products and what brand should I look into durring this
time I have to deal with a dog in heat.
7. My dog is somewhere between a 1 1/2 to 2 years old. Is she
mentally/physically mature enough to handle puppies? I was also told that
little can effect the personality of a young dog.
8. What good websites are there that deal with this issue?

Thanks In Advance,
Chris

Dallygirl
2005-11-28 07:59:30 EST
wowsers chris

a bitch comes into season twice a year and lasts for roughly 21 days,
after about 10-14 days the bitch is more likely to be happy to mate.

your male dogs will be more than interested in your bitch at this time.

my next doors german shepard scaled the fence to get to my shih tzu and
had a damn good go!

your bitch may not be happy at all about having the males near her and may
react aggresivly towards them. or she may flounce past them with her tail
in the air!

a pregnancy lasts about 60 days. i would very much implore you to get
your males castrated before the obvious happens. keep your bitch in
another room and DO NOT WALK HER!

as for her behaviour in heat just think of women and pmt. it varies.

as soon as she is ready about 3months after her season please get her
nuetered.

and b4 some smart alec picks up on it my shih tzu was a rehome and came
into season before i could get her done but as soon as ready she had the
op.

during her season incedently she became very moody, sitting in her bed
glowering at every one. she was left completly alone. i put her food down
and left the room and opened the back door and walked away.

A*@HushMail.Com
2005-11-28 20:20:32 EST
HOWEDY dallygirl,

dallygirl wrote:
> wowsers chris
>
> a bitch comes into season twice a year and lasts for roughly 21 days,
> after about 10-14 days the bitch is more likely to be happy to mate.

Right. But that could vary from pryor to day WON till a couple
days after day twenty WON <{) ; ~ ) >

> your male dogs will be more than interested in your bitch at this time.

Right. That's HOWE COME we TRAIN dogs not to engage in indiscriminate
sex.

> my next doors german shepard scaled the fence to get
> to my shih tzu and had a damn good go!

That's curiHOWES ain't it. So much for your MANAGEMENT, eh dallygirl?

> your bitch may not be happy at all about having the males near her and may
> react aggresivly towards them. or she may flounce past them with her tail
> in the air!

Right.

> a pregnancy lasts about 60 days.

Almost always precisely 63 days.

> i would very much implore you to get your males castrated

INDEED you would. Perhaps you shoulda got your neighbor's
dog surgically sexually mutilated pryor to copulating with your
own unsupervised bitch in heat, eh dallygirl?

Surgical sexual mutilation is inapupriate unnecessary veterinary
malpractice and makes dogs fear aggressive, dallygirl.

> before the obvious happens.

You mean, like HOWE it did with your own mishandled dog, dallygirl?

> keep your bitch in another room and DO NOT WALK HER!

That's sheer idiocy.

There AIN'T no need not to walk her, dallygirl.

> as for her behaviour in heat just think of women and pmt. it varies.

That so?

> as soon as she is ready about 3months after her season please
> get her nuetered.

Surgical sexual mutilation is RISKY.

> and b4 some smart alec picks up on it my shih tzu was a rehome
> and came into season before i could get her done but as soon as
> ready she had the op.

The Amazing Puppy Wizard got three unspayed bitches
and none of them have been raped by neighbor's dogs.

> during her season incedently she became very moody,

Oh? That's uriHOWES. The Amazing Puppy Wizard's
bitches all become incredibly FRIENDLY. Perhaps your
dog becomes BITCHY on accHOWENT of you mishandle
her, dallygirl, kinda like HOWE you done when she GOT
RAPED by your neighbor's dog, you freakin ignoramus.

> sitting in her bed glowering at every one.

THAT'S on accHOWENT of SHE FEARS YOU on accHOWENT
of you're a dog abusing mental case who couldn't PROTECT
her from bein raped by a dog ten times her size, you freakin
DHOWEBLE talkin blowhard.

> she was left completly alone.

INDEEDY. On accHOWENT of you're a INCOMPETENT BLOWHARD.

> i put her food down and left the room and opened
> the back door and walked away.

BWEEEEEEEEAAAHAHAHAHHHAAAA!!!

The Amazing Puppy Wizard <{) ; ~ ) >

T*@dog-play.com
2005-11-28 22:06:01 EST
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 04:09:00 -0500 Diane Johnson <tabletopphoto@alltel.net> whittled these words:
> I have a lovely rot that is now in heat and I have never had to deal with
> this kind of thing before. I just noticed the first few drops of blood an
> hour ago so I have a few urgent questions.

> 1. How long will this last.

Minimum 3 weeks - dogs don't always read the books

> 2. I have a 7month old male pug....is he likely to be sexually mature, and
> is it possible for a 80lb rot to mate with a tiny pug?

Yes - it is possible. If you are lucky and it happens your pug won't die.
But male dogs have a bone in the penis and it has been known to break -
and the penis is sometimes torn from the body when the female is not
absolutely cooperative. And the risk is much higher with the kind of
size difference you have.

> 3. Our pug doesn't seem to be interrested in her yet, but if he does, what
> should I expect, and what should I do?

Do not wait until he shows signs of interest. It will be too late. Board
him now, or otherwise take steps to make sure there is NO possibility he
will come into contact with her until she is well out of heat.

> 4. Does a bitch in heat behave differently than when she isn't in heat?

Sometimes, that is why the word "bitch" is used the way it is. Increased
aggression, moodiness etc is likely.

> 5. There doesn't seem to be any dogs loose around here, but when I'm
> walking my dog should I worry about horney dogs trying to get between me and
> mine. In other words...is there a real chance of me getting bitten or hurt?

Yes. I wouldn't walk her in any unprotected area.

> 6. What kind of products and what brand should I look into durring this
> time I have to deal with a dog in heat.

There are panty type devices to keep the house clean. They will not
prevent mating. Don't let anyone lie to you and tell you otherwise.

> 7. My dog is somewhere between a 1 1/2 to 2 years old. Is she
> mentally/physically mature enough to handle puppies? I was also told that
> little can effect the personality of a young dog.

Maturity can and does affect the personality of a dog, just as it does
humans. Undergoing a permanent change in personality following the first
heat is common. Undergoing siginficant changes in personality during heat
is also common. If you don't know the exact age of your dog why is she
still intact and capable of reproducing? There are lots of great
Rottweilers dying everyday because there are more good dogs than there are
good homes. Keeping her intact does her no favors.

> 8. What good websites are there that deal with this issue?

http://www.rottweiler-dog.fsworld.co.uk/heat_cycle.htm
http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/vets-corner/6189-best-age-spay.html

If you are toying with the idea of breeding her sometime in the future I
can only plead with you to get involved in Rottweiler rescue so you can
personally get experience in the issues. Sure, some people should breed,
but darned few simply because if there are fewer dogs they will be more
precious and fewer will die.

--
Diane Blackman
There is no moral victory in proclaiming to abhor violence

The Amazing Puppy Wizard <{\ ; - \ >
2005-11-28 23:18:12 EST
HOWEDY scott,

You can't even train your own dog not to attack trees or walk on leash
or not attack you: http://makeashorterlink.com/?B25132C3C

"Scott" <scott@mousepotato.com> wrote in message
> Huh!
>
> AnimalBehaviorForensicSciencesResearchLaboratory@HushMail.Com wrote:
>
>> That's HOWE COME we TRAIN dogs not to engage in indiscriminate
>> sex.
>>

>> The Amazing Puppy Wizard <{) ; ~ ) >

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Dallygirl
2005-11-29 04:30:42 EST
oh yes thanks tote
i forgot about the dog drawers.
i know someone who buys them in black :) she has a big black shepard, but
like tote says it only stops the mess.

Dallygirl
2005-11-29 14:05:32 EST
oh tote
ive just remembered you made a reference to books.
yes i did consult a book as its been nearly 4yrs since i last had to deal
with a season and i wanted to make sure i was on the right track.

oh plus the fact i have cognitive dysfunction so on matters like this it
doesnt hurt to check.

thankyou.

A*@HushMail.Com
2005-11-29 16:04:48 EST
HOWEDY Master Of Deception blankman,

T*E@dog-play.com wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 04:09:00 -0500 Diane Johnson <tabletopphoto@alltel.net> whittled these words:
>
> > I have a lovely rot that is now in heat and I have never
> > had to deal with this kind of thing before. I just noticed
> > the first few drops of blood an hour ago so I have a few
> > urgent questions.
>
> > 1. How long will this last.
>
> Minimum 3 weeks - dogs don't always read the books
>
> > 2. I have a 7month old male pug....is he likely to be sexually
> > mature, and is it possible for a 80lb rot to mate with a tiny pug?
>
> Yes - it is possible. If you are lucky and it happens your pug won't die.

You mean from ecstasy, Master Of Deception blankman?

> But male dogs have a bone in the penis and it has been known to break -

Yeah. But not ordinarily during copulation, Master Of Deception
blankman <{); ~ ) >

> and the penis is sometimes torn from the body
> when the female is not absolutely cooperative.

CITES PLEASE, Master Of Deception blankman?

There IS risk of the female gettin torn and infected
but there's amost NO risk for the male, other than PAIN.

> And the risk is much higher with the kind of size difference you have.

THAT'S ABSURD, Master Of Deceptin blankman. She's got
a MALE Pug who couldn't be more than six inches at the
shoulder and a FEMALE Rottie. It'd be HUGELY unlikely
he could even make the connection unless she was layin
on her back and if she stood up his ONLY RISK might be
breakin his damned fool neck fallin off.

> > 3. Our pug doesn't seem to be interrested in her yet, but
> > if he does, what should I expect, and what should I do?

She could TRAIN her dogs not to molest each other.

> Do not wait until he shows signs of interest.

That could happen any time from pryor to day WON
till a couple days after day twenty WON <{); ~ ) >

> It will be too late.

For WHAAAT?

> Board him now,

Oh? Are you promoting boarding kennels these days,
Master Of Deception blankman?

> or otherwise take steps to make sure there is NO possibility he
> will come into contact with her until she is well out of heat.

You mean supervise them when they're together and separate
them when she's not able to observe them dilligently, Master
Of Deception blankman?

> > 4. Does a bitch in heat behave differently than when she isn't in heat?

Yeah. They're friendlier.

> Sometimes, that is why the word "bitch" is used the way it is.

Perhaps THAT'S on accHOWENT of they've been MISHANDLED.

> Increased aggression, moodiness etc is likely.

You mean like dallygirl's little shih tzu who was raped by
her neighbor's German Shepherd, Master Of Deception blankman?

> > 5. There doesn't seem to be any dogs loose around here, but
> > when I'm walking my dog should I worry about horney dogs trying
> > to get between me and mine.

Although that COULD happen the risk would be greater
of bein attacked by a horney Coyote, not a domestic
puppy dog.

> > In other words...is there a real chance of me getting bitten or hurt?

REMOTELY POSSIBLE...

> Yes. I wouldn't walk her in any unprotected area.

Yeah, but you're a lyin dog abusing mental case. REMEMBER?

> > 6. What kind of products and what brand should I look
> > into durring this time I have to deal with a dog in heat.

> There are panty type devices to keep the house
> clean. They will not prevent mating.

Right. There's also chloriphyll type STUFF which may
or may not heelp prevent attracting suitors.

> Don't let anyone lie to you and tell you otherwise.

RIGHT. We'll leave THAT up to you, Master Of Deception blankman.

> > 7. My dog is somewhere between a 1 1/2 to 2 years old.
> > Is she mentally/physically mature enough to handle puppies?

Of curse.

> > I was also told that little can effect the personality of a young dog.

Yeah. It makes them MOTHERLY.

> Maturity can and does affect the personality of a dog, just
> as it does humans. Undergoing a permanent change in personality
> following the first heat is common.

THAT AIN'T GOT NUTHIN to do with bein in heat, Master Of
Decpetion blankman, THAT'S got to do with bein ABUSED.

> Undergoing siginficant changes in personality during heat is also common.

Other than bein more FRIENDLY The Amazing Puppy Wizard has never
noticed
any such CHANGES in personality durin heat, Master Of Deception
blankman.

> If you don't know the exact age of your dog why
> is she still intact and capable of reproducing?

What does not knowin the AGE of the dog got to do with
not bein surgically sexually mutilated, Master Of Deception
blankman?

> There are lots of great Rottweilers dying everyday because
> there are more good dogs than there are good homes.

You mean there's lots of all kinds of dogs gettin MURDERED
by dog lovers like you and your punk thug coward mental case
pals who jerk choke shock surgically mutilate and MURDER them
and call it SHELTER and RESCUE, Master Of Deception blankman.

> Keeping her intact does her no favors.

Other than the VERY REAL RISK of pyometra following heat surgical
sexual mutilation is unnecessary inapupriate veterinary malpractice.

> > 8. What good websites are there that deal with this issue?
>
> http://www.rottweiler-dog.fsworld.co.uk/heat_cycle.htm

>From your CRAP link:

"Remember though , it is perhaps best not to look on any big dog,
like the Rottweiler, German Shepherd, Mastiff and any other large
dog, as a pet. A pet is something like a hamster, gerbil or a parrot.
You would never look upon a Pit-Bull as a pet, as this animal does
not act or respond the same as a hamster does.

Many would not agree with this opinion, but if you keep this sentiment
in mind you will have the right attitude in keeping any large dog under

correct control. A dog like an Alsatian or Rottweiler is and wants to
be a working dog. He will not respond to a relationship where he is
just a pet. "

"A big dog cannot be whipped into easy submission, it will only truly
react to love and care and proper firm, assertive handling, by a
member of its 'pack' . The Alpha - You!"

Throughout your dog's life its behavior will depend on how you:

'Pet and / or Praise' AND 'Scold'. SCOLD & PRAISE

He will soon learn what he is supposed to do and not supposed to
do by using the two above. Praise for as long as you like, not
though, when the dog likes. A dog might often come up to you and
'beg' for attention, by all means pet and praise your dog but do
it when you want not when the dog begs.

Scold when it is only necessary and never for too long. I have
never been an ignorer. Some owners will ignore instead of scolding,
never ignore a 'misdemeanor'. If your dog ever does, at any age,
anything that you reasonably believe to be wrong, scold the dog
making it known that you are the boss."

But make it swift. As soon as your dog looks as though it is going
to do something, that you do not reasonably think is correct, stop
it and talk to it. Watch out for its body language, in case you
get bitten. Put your dog in the right frame of mind from the very
beginning, from when its a puppy, and you will have a better chance
of an easy life. Do not put up with any thing negative, rectify the
situation at once."

"The bedroom, is a personal place, and if your dog gets too
comfortable,
especially if you let the dog sleep with you, it will be harder to
control.
If the dog is a small poodle, this might not matter but try to remove a
180
pound dog who thinks that you are trying to take over its bed."

THAT'S INSANE.

> http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/vets-corner/6189-best-age-spay.html

And that CRAP LINK is a bunch of hysterical spay / neuter Nazis.

Spaying for non medical reasons is RISKY UNNECESSARY MUTILATION.

> If you are toying with the idea of breeding her sometime
> in the future I can only plead with you to get involved
> in Rottweiler rescue so you can personally get experience
> in the issues.

Oh? You mena the ISSUES of the shelter / rescue RACKET???

> Sure, some people should breed,

You mean your ETHICKAL breeder pals, Master Of Decpetion blankman?

> but darned few

You mean like MOST of your pals here?

> simply because if there are fewer dogs

There AIN'T a dog pupulation problem Master Of Deception
blankman, there's a DOG ABUSE problem which you and your
punk thug coward mental case pals CREATED.

> they will be more precious and fewer will die.

NOT as long as you and your pals are runnin loose:

Fantasy Island Shelter Rescue Foster Care Givers Weekend!

De Plane! De Plane Boss! De Plane Boss! De Plane! De Plane!

Oh shadddup Tatoo you skeevy little hype. That damned
puddle jumper SHOWES up here abHOWETS EVERY weekend. You
can HEAR if from MILES away carrying HOWER auspiciHOWES
guests and a WEE BIT OF MONEY for HOWER coffers.

Fortunately this weekend's visitors are FLUSH with OTHER
PEOPLE'S hard earned dough so it'll be EZ to fleece them
DHOWEN like spring lambs <{); ~ ) >.

De Plane Boss! De Plane! De Plane!

Oh Tatoo, PLEASE, you're giving Mr. Roarke a freakin
headache. Chill HOWET you wretched little cuss or we
may have to do some OBEDIENCE DRILLS with you.

O.K. Boss, I'm SORRY I'm SORRY I'm SORRY Boss. Honest.
HOWE abHOWET I go get some refreshements for HOWER guests?

No Tattoo. These are SPECIAL guests, they're HOWER RESCUE
and SHELTER SAVIOURS. They have SPECIAL needs requiring
individual condiditions, shall we say, SACRIFICES, to make.

This is going to be a VERY SPECIAL weekend, Tatoo.

Have you finished preparing quarters for HOWER guests
Tatoo? They'll be VERY SLEEPY from their medications
when they arrive and will no DHOWET be looking forward
to some rest in their rooms.

Si, Boss. Si. I've had special boxes tailor made to fit
each individual as you sez according to their measurements.
Boss? Boss? Are you SHORE they LIKE sleeping in little boxes?

But of CURSE, Tattoo. You'll NOTICE they NEVER MESS in them.
They ONLY tend to their own personal needs while walking on
leash or in the group play pen dragging their leashes behind
them in case they need some corrections. You'll see, Tattoo.
Very special guests, you'll see... you'll see.

Boss! Boss! Here they come! Here they come! Here they come!

Oh STUFF IT Tattoo. Go grab a leash and pronged spiked
pinch choke collar and COME WITH ME, I'll need you in
case any of them become DOMINANT and try to hurt each other.

Better go back and grab that shock collar as well, Tattoo,
can't take too many chances when 'LIVES DEPEND ON US to SAVE
THEM', eh Tattoo?

But Boss! Boss! Do you REALLY THINK locking them in
small boxes and jerking choking and shocking them is
gonna SAVE THEIR LIVES?

Nooo, Tattoo. It'll teach them to RESPECT HOWER AUTHORITY.

WE will SAVE THE LIVES, Tattoo... just you and Mr. Roarke.

TRUST ME, Tattoo. This is gonna be a VERY SPECIAL weekend
for HOWER Shelter and Rescue Dog Lovers, Tattoo <{); ~ ) >

But Boss? Boss? Boss?

NHOWE WHAT, Tattoo?

You sez these are DOG people? Yet they HAVE NO DOGS
with them? Are they coming on a second plane, Boss?
The Plane! The Plane! The Plane, Boss! The Plane!

No Tattoo, that's the puddle jumper LEAVIN. HOWER
guests have made arrangements for their dogs to
be kept in city P-HOWENDS where they've only got
72 HOWERS to live, GUARANTEEING HOWER guests will
FINISH their Fantasies in a timely manner. O.K.
Tattoo, we've got to take care of HOWER guests,
machnell, machsnell Tattoo.

O.K. O.K. Boss. O.K. O.K.

WELCOME To Fantasy Island Shelter Rescue Foster
Care Givers Weekend! I'm your host Mr. Roarke,
and this is my erstwhile assistant Tattoo. DON'T
LOOK AT HIM, he's VERY SENSITIVE.

But Boss? Boss? I'm NOT sensitive. People ALWAYS
look at me, I LIKE that, Boss. People are NICE.

Shhhh, Tattoo. This is a VERY SPECIAL weekend.
Just do as I've instructed you PLEASE or you'll
BLOW IT and they'll LEAVE us and take their OTHER
PEOPLE'S money with them.

Ohhhh, I see, a SCAM, eh Boss? It's abHOWET time!

What shall I do?

Tattoo? You see that big stupid lookin WON over
there wearing the sneer on her face? THAT'S Master
Of Decepton blankman, WON of the ringleaders. Let's
take her first, but BE CAREFUL Tattoo, she's slippery
and dangerHOWES despite that off puttin stupid ignorant
look she's wearing under that sneer. Better go back and
grab that rabies pole, this might be MOORE difficult
than Mr. Roarke thought, just judging by her catatonic
stare right through you despite she was asked not to look.

But Boss? I DON'T MIND her LOOKING!

SHADDDUP Tattoo! We're TRYING to TRAIN them! Just PLAY
ALONG so we can SET HER UP for a CORRECTION. Quick Tattoo,
gimme that shock collar FAST. NHOWE slowly walk arHOWEND
and as she stares at you I'll be able to sneak up behind
her and strap this on her.

Oh? You want the strap on, Boss?

NO Tattoo, THAT'S for malinda. I'm talking abHOWET
strappin on this shock collar while you DISTRACT
her... the SHOCK will be her REWARD for NOT LOOKIN
at you someMOORE. QUICK! Make your move NHOWE, Tattoo!

Boss? Can I have the rabies pole, she looks like a MEAN WON.

Yes Tattoo, it's a familiar tool to her, she'll RESPECT
you for THAT. Go for it, Tattoo, but HURRY PLEASE! HURRY!

"Unfortunately, some confrontation is necessary,
just to be able to handle the dogs. For example,
we need to crate train a dog immediately because
they are usually in need of medical care and they
are in foster homes with other dogs.

It's a safety necessity," lying "I LOVE KOEHLER" lynn.

lyinglynn writes to a new foster care giver:
For barking in the crate - leave the leash on and
pass it through the crate door. Attach a line to it.
When he barks, use the line for a correction.

- if necessary, go to a citronella bark collar.

Lynn K.

BARK! ZAP! SCREAM... ZAP ... SCREAM... ZAP... SCREAM...
ZAP... SCREAM... ZAP... SCREAM... ZAP ... SCREAM

Date: 2002-08-30 04:24:13 PST
"Susan Fraser" <chinch...@aol.comdog wrote in message
news: 20020208201202.29997.00000402@mb-md.aol.com...

> > Did you try it on your throat? Not very pleasant.

> Umm, yes. As a matter of fact, I did. It the sensation
> is actually much milder than it is on the palm, which
> has sweat glands and so conducts more.

You're full of crap, susan.

"JC" <J...@nowhere.org wrote in messagenews:
cUr17.3891$bs2.550009@news20.bellglobal.com...

A friend of mine told this story about his
experience with a shock-collar:

Jim's sister-in-law had a shock collar she wanted to use
on her dog stop it from barking.

Not being very technical, she brought it over for Jim to
assemble and adjust.

Jim got it all put together and decided to try it on
himself to see which setting would be most appropriate.

With the collar around his neck, set on minimum, Jim tried
a little bark... woof.

Nothing.... Woof Woof. Nothing....

Bark. Nothing....

Bark Bark.

Nothing...

BARK!

ZAP!

The collar worked!

Unfortunately, the zap was painful enough to make Jim scream
with pain, which the collar interpreted as another bark, which
lead to another ZAP!

Which made Jim scream again...

ZAP...

SCREAM...

ZAP...

SCREAM...

Eventually, Jim got the collar off but it never
survived the chance to end up on the dog.

(Names have been changed to protect the stupid) : )

-----------------------

GOOD BOY, Tattoo! O.K., NHOWE INTO the box with her.

But BOSS! BOSS!

BE CAREFUL Tattoo, she's been known to escape. Soon
as we get the rest of these Bozo's into their boxes
we'll be able to EAT and have some FUN till it's time
to take them all HOWET for a break and some obedience
drills. You might think this is all abHOWET dominance,
but I can assure you Tatto, IT'S NOT. Don't infer from
that description that force is an intrinsic part of it,
though, because it isn't.

I know that that is what you are trying to get at,
but you'd be very wrong.

"Granted That The Dog Who Fears Retribution
Will Adore His Owner," lying "I LOVE KOEHLER"
lynn.

From: Lynn Kosmakos (lkosma...@home.com)
Subject: Re: dog comes when he feels like it
Date: 1999/05/21

>"A.Waugh" wrote:
> Does this mean no trips to the fenced off-leash dog park ?
> At what age should a dog be trained 100% ?
> What about socialization?

I've found dog parks to be great places for proofing the
recall, even with young puppies. Let the pup play with
other pups, while on a long line.

Call the pup, reeling in if necessary, and praise the heck out
of him, then let him go play again. The reason this works so
well at the dog park is that the pup learns that leaving the
fun to obey the command doesn't mean the fun is over. A very
good thing to learn early.

Timing is critical here, because what you want
is for him to think about escaping, maybe even
start, but still have time to give the command
and have him decide to come back to you before
he hits the end of the long line.

The very 1st thing is to secure her while you're training
so she can't chase when you are preoccupied and can't
work with her.

And, yes, I've had more than a few "come to Jesus
meetings" with dogs over willful disobedience.
Example - pup who knows full well what a recall is
hits adolesence and decides that the recall is optional.

Putting him back on a long line and doing 5 fast
recalls is a "come to Jesus meeting". Or if he
suddenly decides that he can release himself from
a down/stay after being solid at it for 5 months,
and turns it into a catch-me game, a sharp downward
collar correction as you put him back into position
is a "come to Jesus meeting".

Don't infer from that description that force is an
intrinsic part of it, though, because it isn't.

I know that that is what you are trying to get at,
but you'd be very wrong.

Lynn K

BWEEEEAAHAHAHAHHAAAA!!!

"You Lying Sack Of Dung.When Have I Ever Said
Anything About Using A Prong Collar, Or Any Collar
Correction At All, To Make Dogs Friendly To House
Cats? Don't bother. The answer is never," lying "I
LOVE KOEHLER" lynn.

lying "I LOVE KOEHLER" lynn writes about kats and dogs:

"This Article Is Something We've Put Together
For SF GSD Rescue

From: Lynn Kosmakos (lkosma...@home.com)
Subject: Re: I have a dog he has cats
Date: 1999/11/20
g*.@my-deja.com wrote:

> How can I get him to quit chasing the cats.

Okay - this is going to be a bit loooong - Lynn K.

"Put a prong collar with a six-foot leash on the dog. Don't
forget to put the muzzle on the dog. I think a prong works
better than a choke with less chance of injury to the dog in
this situation.

Electronics can be used to create an aversion to cats, but
should be used under the direction of a trainer who knows how
to instruct the owner in their proper use. Electronics can
take the form of shock, sonic or citronella collars. At that
time the owner will train with electronics instead of food or
whatever other reward system was being used."

8) Put a prong collar with a six-foot leash on the dog.
Don't forget to put the muzzle on the dog. I think a prong
works better than a choke with less chance of injury to the
dog in this situation. Have the dog in a sit-stay next to
you with most of the slack out of the leash and let the cat
walk through the room and up to the dog if it wishes (this is
why you have the dog muzzled).

If the dog makes an aggressive move towards the
cat, it must be corrected strongly with both your
voice and the collar.

This is important - the correction must be physically
very strong - not a nag. (PS: not many dogs need
to be corrected at all)."

WORDS OF WISDOM
from our own Lynn Kosmakos
1200mg Of Lithium And 50 mg Of Zoloft Every Day
For Twenty Years

I THINK I'M QUALIFIED TO TALK ABOUT LITHIUM

"I, too, have a bi-polar mood disorder (manic-depression)
requiring 1200mg of lithium and 50 mg of Zoloft every day.
I, also, care about dogs and use this forum to learn more,
while happily sharing pertinent information I have learned.

But if I were ever to post such sh*t, I would hope that every
other reader of this group would be rightfully outraged."

"Community is an evolutionary thing that we earn
the right to participate in by observing the easily
understood rules and contributing to in constructive ways."

Lynn K.

---------------------

"The day may come when the rest of the animal creation
may acquire those rights
which never could have been withholden from them
but by the hand of tyranny.
The question is not can they REASON,
nor can they TALK,
but can they SUFFER?" -
- Jeremy Bentham

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised
for the good of its victims,
may be the most oppressive.
Those who torment us for our own good
will torment us without end,
for they do so with the approval of
their own conscience." -
- C.S. Lewis.

"Death is better, a milder fate than tyranny",
Aeschylus (525BC-456BC),
Agamemnon.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress
can be judged by the way
its animals are treated." ~ Mohandas
Gandhi -- Adapted with permission from his FREE
copy of The Puppy Wizard's FREE Wits' End Dog
Training Method Manual. <}TPW ; ~ ) >

Force training JERRYIZES dogs...
and GETS THEM DEAD.

All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
-Arthur Schopenhauer

"Thank you for fighting the fine fight--
even tho it's a hopeless task,
in this system of things.
As long as man is ruling man,
there will be animals (and humans!)
abused and neglected. :-(
Your student," Juanita.

"If you've got them by the balls
their hearts and minds
will follow,"
John Wayne.

The Amazing Puppy Wizard. <{}; ~ ) >

Mousepotato
2005-11-30 16:09:52 EST

"Diane Johnson" <tabletopphoto@alltel.net> wrote in message
>I have a lovely rot that is now in heat and I have never had to deal with
>this kind of thing before. I just noticed the first few drops of blood an
>hour ago so I have a few urgent questions.
>
> 1. How long will this last.
> 2. I have a 7month old male pug....is he likely to be sexually mature,
> and is it possible for a 80lb rot to mate with a tiny pug?
> 3. Our pug doesn't seem to be interrested in her yet, but if he does,
> what should I expect, and what should I do?
> 4. Does a bitch in heat behave differently than when she isn't in heat?
> 5. There doesn't seem to be any dogs loose around here, but when I'm
> walking my dog should I worry about horney dogs trying to get between me
> and mine. In other words...is there a real chance of me getting bitten or
> hurt?
> 6. What kind of products and what brand should I look into durring this
> time I have to deal with a dog in heat.
> 7. My dog is somewhere between a 1 1/2 to 2 years old. Is she
> mentally/physically mature enough to handle puppies? I was also told that
> little can effect the personality of a young dog.
> 8. What good websites are there that deal with this issue?
>

> Thanks In Advance,
> Chris

It's really hard to believe you are the same *knowledgeable* person who
spouted-off about Pit Bulls below....
~mousepotato~

Dobypinch
2005-12-07 18:35:40 EST
Hey Diane,

before you go and find a rot stud get the hips x rayed and sent off to ofa
this will make selling any puppies much easier. There are likely other
health issues you should be finding out about before you worry about the
mental state of your female.

You already seem to have gotten some pretty good advice. It is likely to
make drops all over the place. Some will lick them up some won't.

Fran