Dog Discussion: How Do I Force/Make A Dominance?

How Do I Force/Make A Dominance?

Johnny Public
2003-09-29 20:38:16 EST
Hi,

Here is my situation. We have (my family and I) a half Chow mix named
Sadie who is 10 years old. We had two dogs, Beamer and Sadie, but Beamer
died last year. Well, Sadie has been alone and we got two new dogs, both
under a year old. Chulla is a half chow mix and Rembrandt is some mutt.
Both of the new dogs are smaller than Sadie. Sadie is fixed by the way;
Rembrandt and Chulla aren't.
Now what bothers me is that Sadie has not dominated the new dogs and I
want her to be the dominant dog. She growls occasionally but not the
"make the other dog roll on it's back" type of actions. She is also very
laid back, if that's the right word, and doesn't seem to really care if
they drink from her water bowl or go towards her food dish.
So my question is, can I do something to make Sadie the dominant dog?
She seems either frightened or reluctant to be aggressive to the new
dogs. When the dogs and I are in a room with the door shut, Sadie will
move in as close to me as possible. The new dogs hang out by themselves
in the same room. I was laying down on the bed and Sadie was closest,
followed by Chulla and then Rembrandt. When in my room with the door
shut, Sadie will hang out on either the bed or the floor. But when the
door is open and the dogs come in she sits ups and then jumps on the
bed. If one jumps up there she just watches and doesn't growl.
I was thinking maybe if I gave a treat now and then to Sadie in front of
the other dogs but not to them. Then they would think "Sadie is the
favored dog and we are under her." I dunno.
Maybe I shouldn't worry since the other dogs aren't being aggressive
with Sadie, I would just prefer a clear line of dominance. We had two
dogs years ago (Lady and Beamer (she was about three years old)) and we
treated them like equals. Beamer ended up killing Lady even though Lady
was the older and first-in-the-house dog.
I think that Sadie understands her importance to me so when I am around
she is worried but confident that I will support her growls and such.
But when I am away she goes to my mother and hangs out with her.
I wanted the dogs to give Sadie some friends and someone to play with
outside. I am hopping that she will exert doimant behavior over time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need a piece of
information feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Adrian

The Puppy Wizard
2003-09-29 21:11:41 EST
HOWEDY Johnny Pubic,

"Johnny Public" <EvilRedEyes@cox.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Here is my situation. We have (my family and I) a half Chow
> mix named Sadie who is 10 years old. We had two dogs,
> Beamer and Sadie, but Beamer died last year. Well, Sadie
> has been alone and we got two new dogs, both under a year
> old. Chulla is a half chow mix and Rembrandt is some mutt.
>
> Both of the new dogs are smaller than Sadie. Sadie is fixed by
> the way; Rembrandt and Chulla aren't.
>
> Now what bothers me is that Sadie has not dominated the
> new dogs

Excellent.

> and I want her to be the dominant dog.

Hunh???

> She growls occasionally

That's UNACCEPTABLE.

> but not the "make the other dog roll on it's back" type of
actions.

Good.

> She is also very laid back,

Excellent.

> if that's the right word,

Works for The Puppy Wizard.

> and doesn't seem to really care if they drink from her water
> bowl or go towards her food dish.

As it should be.

> So my question is, can I do something to make Sadie the
> dominant dog?

INDEEDY. All you got to do is train her using traditional
corrections and punishment, scold her when she grHOWELS,
and punish and scold her in front of the other dogs.

> She seems either frightened or reluctant to be aggressive

Good, dogs can lose a eye in a heartbeat, scrappin.

> to the new dogs.

You've been LUCKY thus far.

> When the dogs and I are in a room with the door shut,
> Sadie will move in as close to me as possible.

Good.

> The new dogs hang out by themselves in the same room.

O.K.

> I was laying down on the bed and Sadie was closest,
> followed by Chulla and then Rembrandt. When in my
> room with the door shut, Sadie will hang out on either
> the bed or the floor. But when the door is open and
> the dogs come in she sits ups and then jumps on the
> bed.

So she's a little intimidated by the other dogs. That's
EZ to fix.

> If one jumps up there she just watches and doesn't growl.

Good.

> I was thinking maybe if I gave a treat now and then to
> Sadie in front of the other dogs but not to them.

That would be rather idiotic an cruel.

> Then they would think "Sadie is the
> favored dog and we are under her."

That's equally idiotic and cruel. You WANT them to FIGHT?

> I dunno.

Good. Have you had psychiatric conselling? If not,
you should. If you have, you should SUE THE BASTARD
and seek a new CONseller.

> Maybe I shouldn't worry

Right. Don't worry abHOWET the dogs, but DO seek treatment.

> since the other dogs aren't being aggressive with Sadie,

That's GOOD.

> I would just prefer a clear line of dominance.

That's BAD.

> We had two dogs years ago (Lady and Beamer
> (she was about three years old)) and we treated
> them like equals.

That's GOOD.

> Beamer ended up killing Lady

That's BAD.

> even though Lady was the older and first-in-the-house dog.

That's BAD.

> I think that Sadie understands her importance to me

That's GOOD.

> so when I am around she is worried

That's BAD.

> but confident that I will support her growls

That's BAD.

> and such.

That's HOWE COME your other dog GOT DEAD. That's B-A-D.

Think of it this way: Good is when noWON grHOWELS.
BAD is when anyWON grHOWELS for any reason.

Think of all the GOOD things you can think of
an think of all the BAD things you can think of...
when you've got the lists complete, put yourself
in each of them situations and verify that they
ARE INDEED either good or bad... ask any
competent adult to review your lists.

That's HOWE you'll start your therapy. Learn to
recognize the differences between GOOD and BAD.
Try to avoid or change BAD, and try to make every
thing GOOD. You'll see an immediate improvement.

> But when I am away she goes to my mother

That's GOOD.

> and hangs out with her.

That's GOOD.

> I wanted the dogs to give Sadie some friends

That's GOOD.

> and someone to play with outside.

That's GOOD.

> I am hopping that she will exert doimant behavior over time.

That's BAD.

See? That's HOWE it works.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That's GOOD. But not here. Here we got BAD.
HOWER dog lovers are predominantely liars
dog abusers and active untreated MENTAL CASES.

You're in treatment NHOWE. That's GOOD.

> If you need a piece of information

That's BAD. You'd be exchanging information
with actively UN TREATED MENTAL PATIENTS
LIARS and DOG ABUSERS.

> feel free to ask.

That's BAD. You will not rehabilitate your thinking
if you're involved with other mentally ill untreated
patients.

> Thanks,

That's GOOD.

> Adrian

The Puppy Wizard... That's GOOD. But that's
BAD for The Puppy Wizard's PALS on The
Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog
Training Method Forum. So you see, there
is a fine line, but NO GREY AREA between
GOOD and BAD.

NHOWE you're well on your way to being heeled.

You can get all the INFORMATION you need to
pupperly handle and train your dogs from your
FREE copy of The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW
Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual. That's
not good, that's the VERY BEST IN THE Whole
Wild World, BAR NONE. That's not GOOD, that's
EXXXCELLENT!

The Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >

HOWEDY Damian,

"Damian" <damianholbrook@aol.com> wrote in message

> hi, ok, i have no idea how this whole alt. thing works,

The Puppy Wizard don't know nuthin abHOWET that.

> but i've become desperate enough to seek out the counsel
> of strangers.

Oh? Evidetally you've not been readin HOWER forums.
You're asking a Gang Of Lying Dog Abusing Punk Thug
Cowards Liars and ACTIVE, CERTIFIED, MENTAL CASES.

> i adopted a 5-year-old chihuahua named Pepito two
> months ago and he is an absolute perfect buddy.

Good for you.

> He had a touch of kennel cough, was a bit
> shy and shaky most of the summer, but so
> great with other dogs and people.

Wonderful.

> Now, he's feeling better, put on some weight and
> has all of a sudden become really aggressive with
> my roommate's chow-mix, Buster, and some strangers.

All behavior problems are caused by mishandling.

> Growling, barking, then rushing the other dog and
> starting huge, ugly biting fights.

We can rehabilitate this deadly problem in a few minutes.

> (Have the punctured fingers to prove it, too).

Yeah... that'll takes some time to heal... but we can
rehabilitate your dog's temperament and behavior
problems NEARLY INSTANTLY if you follow all of
the exercises in your FREE copy of The Puppy
Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training
Method Manual and ask The Puppy Wizard if you
need any additional FREE heelp.

You won't be gettin no advice from HOWER dog lovers,
they HURT and KILL dogs like you got... or just lock them
in boxes and blame the dog or ITS breed.

> He's also barking at kids, neighbors, even visiting friends.

It's all the same same same same... takes MINUTES to
cure all his FEAR and ANXIETY and INSECURITY behaviors,
but you got to follow the EZ instructions PRECISELY.

Dog training ain't LUCK. "Luck is for SUCKERS," The
Puppy Wizard's DADDY.

> It's killing me because he was so sweet and nice
> usually and now, the house is tense because we
> never know when he's going to get nasty.

NO PROBLEM.

> please, i am begging anyone who has gone through
> this before:

HOWER EXXXPERTS will advise you to get him a
veterinary health check up at the expense of perhaps
HUNDREDS of dollars which will likely find NO pathology.

If your training efforts FAIL by the end of the week,THEN
a veterinary exam MIGHT be advisable... but to do other
than IMMEDIATELY STUDY your FREE copy of The
Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training
Method Manual is OBSCENE and may cost him his life.

> can you give me any hope and advice on remedying this
> situation.

HOWER DOG LOVERS GOT NO METHOD FOR TRAINING
AGGRESSION PROBLEMS except avoidance and confinement
which will make the problem WORSE.

> i don't want to give him up and i can't afford to move.

Should fix this problem in WON DAY. Maybe FASTER.

> do they eventually grow out of this?

No, it'll get worse and he'll develop other health
and behavior problmes as a direct result of his
constant anxiety fear and stress.

> how do i handle it?

It's all in your FREE copy of The Puppy Wizard's
FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method
Manual.

> someone, please, help a dog lover out!

Oh, for SHORE! HOWER DOG LOVERS WILL TELL
YOU The Puppy Wizard is a LIAR and HIS FREE WWW
Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual is dangerHOWES
and INEFEFCTIVE, yet they'll likeWIZE say it's all PLAGIARIZED
from better sources of "information," the stuff they've been
using for years.

HOWER DOG LOVERS ARE MENTALLY ILL LYING DOG
ABUSING PUNK THUG COWARDS who HURT and KILL
DOGS they FEAR for behaviors they do not possess the
INTELLECT to HOWEtwit, even after The Puppy Wizard's
FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual
Student's tell them HOWE they done it EZ FAST and
FOR FREE.

> you can email me at damianholbrook@aol.com

You can dHOWENload your FREE copy on The Puppy
Wizard's website.

> thank you, from me, my roomies and the two dogs
> currently trying to devour one another in my kitchen.

Be SHORE to thank the liars and dog abusers and
ACTIVE MENTAL PATIENTS who'll tell you NOT
to TRUST The Puppy Wizard, particularly ed w of
PET LOSS dog COIN, cause he makes his livin off
of DEAD DOGS. You get the picture?

HOWEDY Tony,

"GreaseBall Italian" <ItalianGreaseball@myPaisan.com> wrote

> Dear Mr. Jerry Howe (The Puppy Wizard)
>
> I am the proud owner of a 3 year old American Pit Bull
>Terrier. I was convinced that I had to get rid of the dog
> until I read your training manual.

That's the name of the game ain't it, Gumba.

> Now the dog has been re-trained according to your methods.

INDEED.

The Puppy Wizard couldn't do it withHOWET
YOUR HEELP. The credit is all yours, not HIS.

> Thank you for helping me to save the life of my dog.

Thank you for being a dilligent student.

> Love,

LikeWIZE. But don't try for a kiss on the
cheek, that's got a bad connotation in
some circles... You may kiss The Puppy
Wizard's ruby ring, HOWEver.

> Tony Kibble

XXX/000.

Your Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >

=================

message news:344500f.0309290657.4fa34eb7@posting.google.com...

> I have a 3 year old American Pit Bull Terrier that was
> constantly pissing and marking my home.

You mean he was indiscriminately relieving hisself
all over your HOWES. HOWEsbreaking is INSTINCTIVE.

Dogs do not have HOWEsbreaking problems, they're
UNABLE to control themselves because of ANXIHOWSNESS.

> I tried all of the commercial training methods.

The Puppy Wizard MOCKS traditional trainers and
behaviorISTS, eh professor SCRUFF SHAKE?

> Nothing worked.

INDEEDY. That's on accHOWENT of traditional
methods are OPPOSITIONAL and CONfrontational
and DETRIMENTAL to health and emotional well
being and are CONtraWIZE to human decency,
morals, ethics, and priniciples, eh disciple cad?

> I hired a professional trainer.

The Puppy Wizard will be GLAD to offer EXXXPERT
WITNESS TESTIMONY if you'd like to get your hard
earned dough back.

> Nothing worked.

INDEEDY. The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits'
End Dog Training Method Manual Students REPORT
100% TOTAL NEAR INSTANT SUCCESS, maybe
even FASTER.

> I sought advice on Usenet.

>From HOWER Gang Of Lying Dog Abusing Punk
Thug Cowards and CERTIFIED MENTAL CASES???

BEEEWWWAAAAAHAHAHAAAHAHAAAA!!!

> Nothing worked

INDEEDY. We've hear this story cHOWENTLESS TIMES.

HOWER DOG LOVERS call The Puppy Wizard's FREE
WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual Students
LIARS, PAID SHILLS, and FORGERIES by The Puppy
Wizard.

The Puppy Wizard has IDENTIFIED, EXXXPOSED and
DISCREDITED them cHOWENTLESS times, but like
street urchin Thugs, they HAVE NO SHAME and CONtinue
DESPITE KNOWING they've been EXXXPOSED and
CAUGHT IN THE ACT of LYING to DEFEND their alleged
RIGHT to HURT INTIMIDATE and KILL dogs as they see fit.

> until I found the free training manual of Jerry Howe in
> Florida, AKA The Puppy Wizard.

INDEEDY. If The Puppy Wizard FAILS to train a dog
HE'LL GET THE HEEL HOWETA THIS BUSINESS.

But The Puppy Wizard cannot do it withHOWET YOUR HELP.
You've got to follow the instructions PRECISELY and ASK
FOR HELP if you experience difficulty. There's NO dog
who cannot be trained to acceptable levels of discipline
if we follow the SCIENTIFICE and PSYCHOLOGICAL
techniques EXXXACTLY.

> Let me tell you all that my dog did a complete 180
> degree turn.

INDEEDY. As ALL The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW
Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual Students
REPORT RIGHT HERE... you know, the WONS HOWER
DOG LOVERS CALL LIARS.

That'd be YOU, Tony.... HOWE'S THAT FEEL?

The Puppy Wizard has been maligned and called
a LIAR for five solid years, Tony. The Puppy Wizard
has PLANS, Tony. The Puppy Wizard is abHOWET
to drop the hammer on the entire goddamned industry
all a WONCE.

> The dog has not pissed or shit in my home ever since!

As it should be is HOWE IT IS.

> I just wanted to pass this on as a public service!

Thank you, Tony.

The Puppy Wizard will be looking forward to a
lecture series on dog and child rearing come
the new year with HIS associate Dr. George
Von Hilshiemer.

The Puppy Wizard hopes to meet you and your
family at a location near you.

All the best.

The Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >

HOWEDY Chris,

> >> Jerry,
> >>
> >> I am reading your Wits' End manual with interest.
> >> We plan to get a puppy in a few months time and
> >> are in the "reading up" stage.
> >>
> >> If I might ask you a question, about the "noise
> >> from the can" method:

For SHORE!

> >> how does it work if a dog shows interest in
> >> the can, e.g. goes up and sniffs it when
> >> it's dropped, sees it as some kind of toy?
>
> > That's usually caused by bad timing, not praising instantly
> > to the sHOWEND or not praising exuberantly or sincerely
> > enough or the can making a prolonged sHOWEND.
>
> > We break the dog of chasing the fallen can with the next
> > distract / praise, and failing that, ask him to come and
> > follow through with the come command, and then ask
> > the pup to give up the can or place it where you want,
> > and thank him for it.
>
> Thanks Jerry.

The pleasure is all MINE.

> Please excuse my confusion,

NO PROBLEMO. You have carte blanch on The
Puppy Wizard's time and effort.

> but when the can method is used to try to teach the dog
> not to misbehave,

Well, we CAN'T TEACH him "not to do" what he's not thinkin...

> what exactly should be praised -

The INSTANT of the sHOWEND or non physical distraction.

> is it a) the ceasing of the behaviour,

NOOOO! That's LONG AFTER the thought of the behavior
has elapsed!

> b) the looking at the can,

That would indicate your timing is off or the can made a
prolonged sHOWEND. ANY SHOWEND is acceptable,
even a air conditioning system clicking on or off at the
right instant, will suffice, so long as we do not use the
same distraction twice in a row, cause it'll lose it's
RANDOMNESS.

> c) the looking at the owner,

WE ALWAYS PRAISE EVERY BRIEF EYE CONTACT.

> or d) the dog's moving of his attention away from what
> he's doing

THE BEHAVIOR HAS NUTHIN TO DO WITH THE TECHNIQUE.

We create a brief, variable, non physical distraction and
PRAISE IT and allHOWE the dog to continue whatever
he desires, hopefully he'll resume the UNDESIRABLE
BEHAVIOR so we have another OPPORTUNITY to
INTERRUPT HIS THOUGHT SEVERAL TIMES IN
SUCCESSION, as it's being formulated, WHICH WILL EFFECTIVELY
EXTINGUISH THE THOUGHT of the
undesirable behavoir, thought the process of NON
FULFILLMENT of the THOUGHT.

> and towards the sound,

If the dog acknowledges the SHOWEND we're not praising exuberantly
or spontaneHOWESLY enough. If you have
difficulty with the timing we can demonstrate that on the
phone or msn.

> being a reflex thing when he HEARS the sound,

PRECISELY. We follow the technique rapidly and withHOWET
regard for the dog's PHYSICAL BEHAVIOR, we're working on
HIS THOUGHT PROCESS.

> and not necessarily involving him actually looking at the can?

INDEEDY! The dog should NOT LOOK towards the can, ideally.
If he DOES, WE NEED MOORE EXUBERANT PRAISE to bring
his thoughts back to us, but we do not want to bring him HOWET
of the situation he's in, we WANT TO TEMPT HIM to resume the
behavior.

These techniques are FAST and NON PHYSICAL, so waitin
to SEE a response would be CONTRAWIZE.

> I'm expecting you to answer (d) here, but want to check that I
> understand the method properly.

NOPE! You're still a tad CONfused. That's O.K., we'll work on
it till you understand the TIMING TONE and TEMPO.

> And on the second and fourth distract/praise, does it matter
> whether the dog looks at the can or at the owner?

That's the process of INSTALLING a command as a conditioned
reflex. IOW, when we're BREAKING a thought, we interrupt it
EACH TIME using a variably alternating distraction.

When we're TEACHING a behavior we "emphasize" the key
or cue or command word EVERY OTHER TIME, allHOWEING
the dog the OPPORTUNITY to RESPOND based on the LAST
INSTANCE, and follow through with the technique till the C/R is
INSTALLED and then the dog will always REFLEX to your
command withHOWET even thinkin, like as if someWON tossed
you a can of beer, you'd snatch it HOWETA the air withHOWET
even THINKIN abHOWET it.

> I still have to get my head round the idea that a small
> object (the can) is used, being thrown in interaction
> with the dog, but it's not a game and the dog isn't
> supposed to touch it.

Right. ANY SHOWEND will suffice. A can is a handy source
of sHOWEND to alternate the distracton to keep it RANDOM.
See "Beans & Beer" method.

If your pup wants to chase the can, we simply follow the D/P
technique on that can, and so on and so on, and if we've
expired several cans, we return to the FIRST WON tossed
and continue the technique, UNLESS we're PRESSED by
a dangerHOWES or unacceptable situation, at which point
we'd GIVE UP on the D/P and rely on the CR of the COME
command, and later set it up again to resume the lesson in
a safe envrionment.

> I haven't any experience training dogs -

THAT is and ADVANTAGE, cause you've got no BAD HABITS
or MISTAKEN IDEAS as HOWER dog lovers here got... who
REFUSE to stop jerking and choking and shoking and locking
their dogs in boxes to force control of behaviors they do not
have the INTELLECT to HOWEtwit.

> I'm trying to learn fast -

You're doin GREAT. Mistakes are part of the learning process
through which we learn PERFECTION. The Puppy Wizard still
makes mistakes on frequent occasion. The BEAUTY of this
method is that mistakes are EZ to compensate for on the next
OPPORTUNITY, as we're not using any AVERSION.

> the only experience I've had in throwing things for dogs is
> as a game.

Good. We gently lob the can or whatever beyond the dog
and INSTANTLY PRAISE for 5-15 seconds, and intermittenly
for moments for as long as the pup is THINKING of the situation.

> > WON of my pups will rush to retrieve it and may even drop
> > it intentionally if the other dog for whom it was used failed
> > to respond. That's not the first dog I've owned who'd drop
> > a can for another dog's inappriate behaviors!!!
>
> A lot of dogs are a lot brighter than many people think! :)

All dogs are. The PROBLEM is, most have been STIFFLED
by CORRECTIONS FEAR FORCE and INTMIIDATION, so
they're INHIBITED to TAKE INITIATIVE for FEAR of makin
a MISTAKE. Mistakes are LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES.

HOWER dog lovers FEAR mistakes cause they're AFRAID
the dog will LEARN THE MISTAKE!!! That's ABUSURD, but
that's HOWE IT IS when we use aversion pain intimidation and
AVOIDANCE of behaivors we fear.

> Cheers, and thanks again for your help,

Thank you for being a dilligent student!

> Chris

Your Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >

================

"misty" <Momisty@webtv.net wrote in message
news: 16990-3CAB1F8C-1@storefull-2293.public.lawson.webtv.net...

I don't now whether Peach is dead or alive. I do know she's
not here with us. I really can't blame anyone here for her loss.

I'm the one who ignored your advice. I did it because of how you
write/wrote. I was unwilling to accept the idea that my using a
shock collar could have any bearing on Peach not wanting to stay
home. Up until I started using it my main concern had been keeping
my dogs in their own yard.

Once I started using the e-fence... well, then my concern
became how to keep them from running off for days on end.

I lost valuable training time becoming embroiled in the anti-
shock debate and the "Jerry sux" tirades.

I lost one dog but I have the bestest dog in the world now
<g A Wits End Trained dog, one who is completely housetrained,
doesn't chew up stuff, stays in the yard, and doesn't bark all
the time. IOW a great companion and friend.

Thanks Jerry!

=====================

> We just installed a PetSafe brand fence this Spring. Two dogs,
> two collars We now have one dog and no collars.

> Peach and Zelda would run thru the fence, not want to come
> back in the yard and would run for days. The last time, Peach
> didn't come back home.

> I used the Wit's End Training Manual to learn how to train my
> dog. She is now border trained. A few minutes each day
> reinforces her desire to stay in the yard. She no longer runs
> out into the road, I can stop her from chasing cats and she no
> longer cringes when we walk around the yard.

> I can not say loud or long enough how much I hate the e-fence
> and its collars. If you can't get a regular fence then you need
> to train your dog. I will never rely on an electronic collar to
> keep my dog in our yard again.

> The price was too high:-(

> ~misty

--------------------------------

"JoeTheGuru" <joetheguru@hotmail.com.NOSPAM wrote in
message
news: 3cab77eb$0$9993$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...

JERRY SAVE THIS LAD!!!!

or it could be a troll <are you a troll??
do not use it on your dog.....

would you use it on your best friend.....

I have read jerry's book, it seems too easy at first.
however I started to use some of the training out of it and now.

I have a dog that heels as fast as a collie in a
trial.<great dane X mastiff

I have a dog that stays and never leaves the spot.

I have a dog that comes when ever I call.

I have a dog that never leaves the yard, never runs away.

I have a dog that stands still to be washed
with the cold hose.

I have a dog that never pulls on
the lead when we walk.

I have a dog that puts up with more abuse then a
dog should from my 2 year old <and loves it

I have a dog that barks at the fence only when some ones there.

I have a dog that would not care less if there is
another dog in the park <only wants to be with and
please me though a lot of this is due to me training the dog
spending the time with the dog.

jerry's book showed me not to punish the dog. but
just to work with the dog. which I liked the idea of
hence why I tried it. it is easy to become
frustrated with a dog when you are trying to train
them.

I look forward to my next puppy <ban dog> so
I can use the information from jerry's book
and see just how good a dog can get.

the dog I have now was when I picked her up from
the RSPCA. she could not walk on a lead <no idea.
cowered from every noise <and wet her self, messed
in the house at every turn. acted like I was killing her
when I dragged her over to the mess.

this was A 6 month old pup that had been beaten
<2.5 feet to the shoulder. I could of taken her back
however I knew I could bring her back to being to
be a dog.

the dog I have now at 1.5 years <same dog is a dog
to be proud to walk down the street with <3 feet to
the shoulder and still growing.

so well behaved even when people walk passed with
a out of control dog. gentle with my child and trustworthy
< I never have to worry that my dog will bite her, only
have to worry if a stranger comes over to my child.
still that is not a worry, she places herself between my
child and the stranger.

I may be plugging jerry's book, however with the
crap out there it is good to see that someone has
moved forward. looked at a different way to train
dogs. yes he gets into people, and in their face
you should back off a little jerry however he is
sick of the bashing, choking, shocking, shaking
and everything else. so jerry save this lad from
ruining his dog. later, Joe

===================

"Charlie Wilkes" <charlie_wilkes@easynews.com wrote
in message
news: pjaootcg8dgrptuu96383933eqk2jjp7b2@4ax.com...

I read up on rotties, pitbulls, etc., and quite a
bit of the literature suggested I needed to assert
my dominance and "make the dog earn everything it
gets."

I tried this once or twice, just by taking a stern
tone of voice, and the results were terrible.
The pup got scared and just wanted to stay away from
me.

That's why I support Jerry Howe and his FREE
Wits' End Dog Training manual -- that and the fact
that Jerry is an all-around great guy.

The core takeaway I got from Jerry's manual is this:
make yourself the center of your puppy's world -
- his personal Lord Jesus. Never give him a reason
to fear you or think you're angry. Love the heck
out of him, and you'll end up with a great dog.

This has truly worked with my puppy. She'll do
anything I want her to, if she understands, because
she trusts me 100 percent, and nothing is more
important in her world than her relationship
with me. http://www.geocities.com/viscouspuppy
Charlie

=========================

<"Terri"@cyberhighway

> Hey, do like me, and killfile Jerry.
> He has millions of people aleady reading his posts and
> watching him extract his soggy foot out of his mouth!
> Out of these MILLIONS, I've only seen 2 naive childs
> come forward and actually believe in his training manual.

Robert Crim writes:

I assume that I and my wife are those two naive childs since
I freely admit to having read and, I hope, understood enough
of the manual and it's counterparts by John Fisher and the
posts of Marylin Rammell to believe and use it. This naive
child would like to say thank you to both Jerry and Marylin for
putting up with a constant barrage of really infantile crap at
the hands of supposedly adult dog lovers.

The other naive child (LSW) has to put up with the nagging
idea that if people like them had been posting earlier, maybe
we would not have had to hold the head of a really
magnificent animal in our arms while he was given the
needle and having to hug him and wait until he gasped
his last gasp.

To my mind, "naive" is believing you can terrorize a dog into
good behavior. Naive is believing that people that hide
behind fake names are more honest than people that use
their real names. Naive is thinking that dilettante dog
breeders and amateur "trainers" like Joey (lyingdogDUMMY,
j.h.) are the equal or better than those that have studied and
lived by their craft for decades.

"Stupid" is believing that people do not see kindergarten
level insults for what they are. Really stupid is believing that
people like Jerry Howe and Marylin Rammell are going to
just go away because you people act like fools. Why do you
act like fools? I really have no idea, and I don't really care.

> And, to date: I've not seen ONE come forward and actually
> admit to buying and having success with his little black
> box.

I think I'm going to get one myself for Father's day and take
it down to the Animal Shelter for their use and testing. You
would never believe the results, so you'll never know.

> Anyone by now that doesn't see a scam man coming by
> Jerry's posts deserves to get what is sure to be coming to
> him! LOL!

I don't see a "scam man", so I guess I and Longsuffering
Wife and Rollei will just have to get what we deserve, eh?
As Joey (Dogman) says, "poor Rollei.".......right.

>Terri

Yes it was, and that is sad.

Robert, Longsuffering Wife and Rollei (do I get to listen to the
box first?)

Hello People,

Robert Crim was a former Gang Of Thugs Member, and
hated me a much as the rest of our Thugs do. Robert was a
long time friend and prominent contributor to rpdb, till Jerry
came along and smartened him up. He learned the hard
way, and no longer posts to his former pals, because it is
just too painful knowing his pals would rather HURT and
KILL their dogs than to admit that JERRY is RIGHT.

"I know that most men, including those at ease with
problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept
even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would
oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they
have delighted in explaining to colleagues, proudly
taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by
thread, into the fabric of their lives."
-Leo Tolstoy-

Is it any wonder that the following sig file has generated
more complaints to my personal email than any other
controversial post I have made to date, bar none?:

CAVEAT
If you have to do things to your dog to train him that you
would rather not have to do, then you shouldn't be doing
them. If you have a dog trainer who tells you to jerk your
dog around, choke him, pinch his ears, or twist his toes,
shock, shake, slap, scold, hit, chin cuff, scruff shake or
punish your dog in any manner, that corrections
are appropriate, that the dog won't think of you as the
punisher, or that corrections are not harmful, or if they
can't train your dog to do what you want, look for a
trainer that knows HOWE.

Thank you,
Jerry Howe,
Director of Research,
BIOSOUND Scientific
Director of Training,
Wits' End Dog Training
1611 24th St
Orlando, FL 32805
Phone: 1-407-425-5092
Phone: 1-888-BIOSOUND (1-888-246-7686)
Phone: 1-888-WITSEND (1-888-948-7363)
http://www.doggydoright.com

Nature, to be mastered, must be obeyed.
-Francis Bacon-

There are terrible people who, instead of solving a
problem, bungle it and make it more difficult for all who
come after. Who ever can't hit the nail on the head
should, please, not hit at all.
-Nietzsche-

The abilities to think, rationalize and solve problems are
learned qualities.

The Wits' End Dog Training Method challenges the learning
centers in the dogs brain. These centers, once challenged,
develop and continue to grow to make him smarter.

The Wits' End Dog Training method capitalizes on
praising split seconds of canine thought, strategy, and
timing, not mindless hours of forced repetition, constant
corrections, and scolding.
-Jerry Howe-

The Puppy Wizard. <}TPW ; ~ ) >

ANY QUESTIONS, DUMMIES?
,-._,-,
V)"(V
(_o_) Have a great day!
/ V)
(l l l) Your Puppy Wizzzard. <}YPW ; ~ } >
oo-oo

Diana
2003-09-30 06:04:09 EST

"Johnny Public" <EvilRedEyes@cox.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
[..]

> Now what bothers me is that Sadie has not dominated the new dogs and I
> want her to be the dominant dog. She growls occasionally but not the
> "make the other dog roll on it's back" type of actions. She is also very
> laid back, if that's the right word, and doesn't seem to really care if
> they drink from her water bowl or go towards her food dish.
> So my question is, can I do something to make Sadie the dominant dog?

Nope, and you don't want to either!

Would you walk in to a Russian university and start to teach the students
Russian grammar?
(or Chinese, Japanese, Dutch, Hungarian etc. etc.)

Nope, you couldn't because you might be a quick learner and get the gist of
what is going on, it is not natural to you to speak Russian (or Chinese,
Japanese, Dutch, Hungarian etc. etc.), it would take many years of living
within the culture to really get to grips with the finer points ~ and that's
just talking human to human.

Dogs are of a totally different species and though there are many theories,
anyone who says they can tell you *exactly* what their dog is doing and
thinking or interacting is either a fool or talking bs.

Diana

Culprit
2003-09-30 11:19:03 EST

"Johnny Public" <EvilRedEyes@cox.net> wrote in message

> Now what bothers me is that Sadie has not dominated the new dogs and I
> want her to be the dominant dog. She growls occasionally but not the
> "make the other dog roll on it's back" type of actions.

dogs show who's "alpha" in a lot of very subtle ways. you may not know
which one is in charge, but your dogs do, and that's what matters. trying
to interfere with their order can mess up the pack. i'd just let them be
dogs and worry about teaching them manners and tricks and other useful
things.

-kelly

KrisHur
2003-09-30 17:47:18 EST
Just b/c she's the oldest or has been there the longest, does not mean she
needs to be the alpha. Let the dogs work it out for themselves (as long as
there are no serious fights) and everyone will be much happier.
--
Kristen &
Kali CD, CGC, TDI, TT

"Johnny Public" <EvilRedEyes@cox.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Here is my situation. We have (my family and I) a half Chow mix named
> Sadie who is 10 years old. We had two dogs, Beamer and Sadie, but Beamer
> died last year. Well, Sadie has been alone and we got two new dogs, both
> under a year old. Chulla is a half chow mix and Rembrandt is some mutt.
> Both of the new dogs are smaller than Sadie. Sadie is fixed by the way;
> Rembrandt and Chulla aren't.
> Now what bothers me is that Sadie has not dominated the new dogs and I
> want her to be the dominant dog. She growls occasionally but not the
> "make the other dog roll on it's back" type of actions. She is also very
> laid back, if that's the right word, and doesn't seem to really care if
> they drink from her water bowl or go towards her food dish.
> So my question is, can I do something to make Sadie the dominant dog?
> She seems either frightened or reluctant to be aggressive to the new
> dogs. When the dogs and I are in a room with the door shut, Sadie will
> move in as close to me as possible. The new dogs hang out by themselves
> in the same room. I was laying down on the bed and Sadie was closest,
> followed by Chulla and then Rembrandt. When in my room with the door
> shut, Sadie will hang out on either the bed or the floor. But when the
> door is open and the dogs come in she sits ups and then jumps on the
> bed. If one jumps up there she just watches and doesn't growl.
> I was thinking maybe if I gave a treat now and then to Sadie in front of
> the other dogs but not to them. Then they would think "Sadie is the
> favored dog and we are under her." I dunno.
> Maybe I shouldn't worry since the other dogs aren't being aggressive
> with Sadie, I would just prefer a clear line of dominance. We had two
> dogs years ago (Lady and Beamer (she was about three years old)) and we
> treated them like equals. Beamer ended up killing Lady even though Lady
> was the older and first-in-the-house dog.
> I think that Sadie understands her importance to me so when I am around
> she is worried but confident that I will support her growls and such.
> But when I am away she goes to my mother and hangs out with her.
> I wanted the dogs to give Sadie some friends and someone to play with
> outside. I am hopping that she will exert doimant behavior over time.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need a piece of
> information feel free to ask.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adrian

Johnny Public
2003-09-30 18:34:33 EST
Hi Puppy Wizard,

The Puppy Wizard wrote:

>>I was laying down on the bed and Sadie was closest,
>>followed by Chulla and then Rembrandt. When in my
>>room with the door shut, Sadie will hang out on either
>>the bed or the floor. But when the door is open and
>>the dogs come in she sits ups and then jumps on the
>>bed.
>

> So she's a little intimidated by the other dogs. That's
> EZ to fix.
> You can get all the INFORMATION you need to
> pupperly handle and train your dogs from your
> FREE copy of The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW
> Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual. That's
> not good, that's the VERY BEST IN THE Whole
> Wild World, BAR NONE. That's not GOOD, that's
> EXXXCELLENT!
>
> The Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >

I just downloaded the Wits End Manual and I'll read it tonight. It will
help with the intimidation she feels, right?

Thanks,

Adrian

Johnny Public
2003-09-30 18:39:58 EST
Hi Diana,

Diana wrote:
> "Johnny Public" <EvilRedEyes@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>
> [..]
>

>>Now what bothers me is that Sadie has not dominated the new dogs and I
>>want her to be the dominant dog. She growls occasionally but not the
>>"make the other dog roll on it's back" type of actions. She is also very
>>laid back, if that's the right word, and doesn't seem to really care if
>>they drink from her water bowl or go towards her food dish.
>>So my question is, can I do something to make Sadie the dominant dog?
>

> Nope, and you don't want to either!
>
> Dogs are of a totally different species and though there are many theories,
> anyone who says they can tell you *exactly* what their dog is doing and
> thinking or interacting is either a fool or talking bs.
>
> Diana

I have a book called 'The Mind of the Dog' that explains why,
supposedly, dogs act like they do. The theories seem plausible. It says
that lines of dominance must be clear and dogs need this for their pack
mentality.
I just don't want to lose Sadie and I'd feel safer if I knew that the
new dogs weren't gonna mess with her. I want her to feel comfortable and
happy and have friends. I don't want her to be fearful or worried. She
seems much more confident or strong when I am here but I'm worried that
when I go out of town in the next few weeks there will be trouble. I
didn't bring new dogs in to subordinate the oldest one.
I won't try force a dominance. I just worry for her.

Adrian

Johnny Public
2003-09-30 18:44:10 EST
Hi Culprit,

culprit wrote:
> "Johnny Public" <EvilRedEyes@cox.net> wrote in message
>

>>Now what bothers me is that Sadie has not dominated the new dogs and I
>>want her to be the dominant dog. She growls occasionally but not the
>>"make the other dog roll on it's back" type of actions.
>

> dogs show who's "alpha" in a lot of very subtle ways. you may not know
> which one is in charge, but your dogs do, and that's what matters. trying
> to interfere with their order can mess up the pack. i'd just let them be
> dogs and worry about teaching them manners and tricks and other useful
> things.
>
> -kelly

You know what was one of the most surprising things that ever happened
to me -- dog wise? My friend Crystal had just gotten this half-chow mix
and when I went over the dog freaked out! She was barking and running
around and growling at me. Well, maybe 6 months later I went back to the
house and Choce, their half-chow, was completely fine with me! It was
her second time seeing me and I was floored by her change in attitude.
She let me pet her and she was so relaxed. I asked Crystal what they did
and she was kinda sketchy but it was along the lines of they made the
dog act that may.
Anyway, I'll ask my vet what is best and see what he says.

Thanks,

Adrian

KrisHur
2003-10-01 07:29:38 EST
This guy is a bit of a nut. He claims that his manual (and rip-off box) can
cure everything--even medical problems as severe as epilepsy. There is a
little good mixed in with some seriously bad stuff in there. If you are
interested in sound distraction check out the originator of the method and
pick up a John Fisher book.

Kristen

> Hi Puppy Wizard,
>
> The Puppy Wizard wrote:
>
> >>I was laying down on the bed and Sadie was closest,
> >>followed by Chulla and then Rembrandt. When in my
> >>room with the door shut, Sadie will hang out on either
> >>the bed or the floor. But when the door is open and
> >>the dogs come in she sits ups and then jumps on the
> >>bed.
> >

> > So she's a little intimidated by the other dogs. That's
> > EZ to fix.
> > You can get all the INFORMATION you need to
> > pupperly handle and train your dogs from your
> > FREE copy of The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW
> > Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual. That's
> > not good, that's the VERY BEST IN THE Whole
> > Wild World, BAR NONE. That's not GOOD, that's
> > EXXXCELLENT!
> >
> > The Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >
>
> I just downloaded the Wits End Manual and I'll read it tonight. It will
> help with the intimidation she feels, right?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adrian

Diana
2003-10-01 07:47:55 EST

> Hi Diana,
[..]

> I just don't want to lose Sadie and I'd feel safer if I knew that the
> new dogs weren't gonna mess with her. I want her to feel comfortable and
> happy and have friends. I don't want her to be fearful or worried. She
> seems much more confident or strong when I am here but I'm worried that
> when I go out of town in the next few weeks there will be trouble. I
> didn't bring new dogs in to subordinate the oldest one.
> I won't try force a dominance. I just worry for her.
>
> Adrian

Well, don't worry ~ she'll be fine :-)

She's a dog and so long as you socialised her well with other dogs when she
was young and throughout her life, she'll have a far better grasp of
'doggie-language' than you or even any scientist / trainer or behaviourist.

leave her be ~ all sounds well so far.

Diana