Dog Discussion: Anxiety

Anxiety

Jim
2005-11-13 09:10:10 EST
Got this husky/german shepherd mix when he was 16 months old. Quiet dog,
seldom barks. After he settled in, it started, the chewing of most
everything that seemed "chewy" to him. Got him toys, ribs from the market,
soup bones, doesn't matter. He got bored with those, and off he went to
chew on my bicycle pedals and gel filled seat, strip the bark off the
juniper trees, and chew the ballisters on the front porch of paint and wood.
Thought it got as bad as it would get. So, got him a friend. A malamute
mix female puppy. They get along great. Except the husky mix is too
mouthy, nibbles and bites the puppy to extremes sometimes. Now that the
puppy has put on some weight and can defend herself, the husky mix is back
to chewing everything.

Both have store bought nylon collars that I put on a little loose for their
comfort. The husky mix chewed the collar off the puppy's neck. Glad he
didn't eat the rabies and heartworm metal tags.

The husky mix is always intentionally blocking my petting of the malamute
mix puppy. He will start fights with the puppy as well when I attempt any
affection towards her, even just talking to her. He will hold the puppy's
attention until he thinks I'm not minding the puppy anymore to give her
affection. Even petting both animals at the same time with both hands
results in the same behavior by the male dog. I try to give each animal the
same amount of affection.

Walk both animals two miles or more a day or more. They both get plenty of
attention from me outside of that. They get a chewy type "scooby snack" for
good behavior, and irregardless in the early morning after greeting me.

Have had many advice on how to fix the male dog's obvious anxiety problem
manifestations: chewing and affection blocking. Ranging from pulling all
his teeth, cage him, swap him for a real dog, chain him to a tree forever,
shock collar, or just "get rid of him". Nothing positive.

Except for the two posters that spam us with inappropriate advice on daily
basis here (won't see your advice anyway as its intentionally blocked), does
anyone else have advice on how to fix this problem?

--
Jim

A*@HushMail.Com
2005-11-13 10:03:10 EST
HOWEDY Jim,

Jim wrote:
> Got this husky/german shepherd mix when he was 16 months old.
> Quiet dog, seldom barks. After he settled in, it started, the
> chewing of most everything that seemed "chewy" to him.

Chewing is a SYMPTOM of anXXXIHOWESNESS.

> Got him toys, ribs from the market, soup bones, doesn't matter.

Right. He's chewing because he's upset.

> He got bored with those,

Bored dogs SLEEP.

> and off he went to chew on my bicycle pedals and gel
> filled seat, strip the bark off the juniper trees,
> and chew the ballisters on the front porch of paint
> and wood.

You can EXXXTINGUISH his chewing NEARLY INSTANTLY:

"Just Want To Second Jerry's Method For
Dealing With This (Destructive Separation
Anxiety). I've Suggested It To Quite A Few
Clients Now And It's Worked 'EVERY TIME
The Very First Time' - marilyn, Trainer, 33
Years Experience.

From: Marshall Dermer (der...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu)
Subject: Re: Jerry's Dog Training Manual
Date: 2001-07-12 06:49:13 PST

And how do we know this aspect of his
advice is right?

Jerry is not God and his manual is not the Bible.
His advice could be subject to an empirical analysis.

(Also, it is best to killfile posts from the
few regulars here who are either ill-tempered,
ill-mannered, or just plain ill.­),

--Marshall

"At this point, "No" does not have any behavioral function.
But, if you say "No,"pick up the puppy by its neck and
shake it a bit, and the frequency of the biting decreases
then you will have achieved too things.

First, the frequency of unwanted chewing has decreased;
and two, you have established "No" as a conditioned punisher.

How much neck pulling and shaking? Just the
minimum necessary to decrease the unwanted
biting.

**********IS THAT A CONSISTENT 5 SECONDS?************

When our dog was a puppy, "No" came before mild
forms of punishment (I would hold my dog's mouth
closed for a few seconds.) whereas "Bad Dog" came
before stronger punishement (the kind discussed above).

"No" is usually sufficient but sometimes I use "Bad Dog"
to stop a behavior. "Bad Dog" ALWAYS works," marshall
dermer, research professor of ANAL-ytic behaviorISM at
UofWI. For MOORE animal abuse, please visit dr p.

BWAHAHAHHAHAAAA!!!!!

That's INSANE. Ain't it.

Here's professor dermer AFTER gettin JERRYIZED:

"We Are Lucky To Have You, And More People Should
Come To Their Senses And Support Your Valuable Work.
God Bless The Puppy Wizard," Professor Marshall Dermer,
Dept Of ANAL-ytic Behavior, UofWI.

From: "George von Hilsheimer, Ph.D." <drv...@mindspring.com>
To: "Jerry Howe" <theamazingpuppywiz...@mail.com>
Subject: Alleged Professors of Animal Behavior
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:50:51 -0400

Dear Jerry, I paged through some of the "dog business"
and was astonished at the low quality of opinions arising
from professors of behavior analysis.

I had the very great privilege of meeting Sam Corson
(Pavlov's last Ph.D. student) and his dogs at Ohio
University. I even got to spend a night at Sam's house.

There is no question but that you are a spiritual brother
to Corson and to Pavlov, both of whom knew that the dog's
great capacity for love was the key to shaping doggie behavior.

Paradoxical reward and paradoxical fixing of attention are
both well documented Pavlovian techniques. Even so humorless
a chap as B.F. Skinner taught students like the Breland's whose
"The Misbehavior of Organisms" demonstrate the utility of your
methods and their deep roots in scientific (as opposed to
commercial) psychology.

George von Hilsheimer, Ph.D., F.R.S.H.
you may find my resume in Who's Who in
Science and Technology

From: "The Puppy Wizard" <ThePuppyWiz...@EarthLink.Net>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 17:26:31 GMT

Subject: Dr. George VonHilshimer Writes: "No Loving, No Learning."

HOWEDY People,

Perhaps the PROBLEM is "TOO MANY WORDS?"

From: TooCool (larrym...@hotmail.com)
The Puppy Wizard's Wits End Training Method

I have studied canine behavior and dog training for
years. I have a huge library that covers every system
of training.

The Puppy Wizard's (Jerry Howe's) Wits' End Training
Method is by far the most scientific, the most advanced,
the kindest, the quickest and the most effective training
method yet discovered.

It is not an assortment of training tips and tricks; it is
a logically consistent system. Every behavior problem
and every obedience skill is treated in the same logically
consistent manner.

Please study his manual carefully. Please endeavor to
understand the basis of his system and please follow
his directions exactly. His manual is a masterpiece.
It is dense with theory, with explanation, with detailed
descriptions about why behavior problems occur and
how their solution should be approached.

One should not pick and choose from among his methods
based upon what you personally like or dislike. His is
not a bag of tricks but a complete and integrated system
for not only training a dog but for raising a loving companion.

When I once said to Jerry that his system creates for
you the dog of your dreams, his response was that it
produces for your dog the owner of his dreams.

You see, Jerry has discovered that if you are gentle
with your dog then he will be gentle with you, if you
praise your dog every time he looks at you, then you
will become the center of your dogs world, if you use
Jerry's sound distraction with praise, then it takes
just minutes-sometimes merely seconds-to train your
dog to not misbehave (even in your absence) (Just 15
seconds this morning to train my 10 week old puppy to
lie quietly and let me clip his nails).

Using Jerry's scientific method (sound distraction /
praise / alteration / variation) it takes just minutes to
train you dog to respond to your commands.

What a pleasure it was for me to see my 6 week old
puppy running as fast has his wobbly little legs would
carry him in response to my recall command-and he
comes running every time I call no matter where we are
or what he is doing.

At ten weeks old now, my puppy never strains upon
his leash thanks to Jerry's hot & cold exercises and
his Family Pack Leadership exercises.

Jerry has discovered that if you scold your dog, if you
scream at him, if you intimidate him, if you hurt him,
if you force him then his natural response is to oppose
you.

Is Jerry a nut?

It doesn't make any difference to me whether he is or not.
It is a logical fallacy to judge a person's ideas based
upon their personality. As far as dogs are concerned, Jerry
wears his heart upon his sleeve. It touches him deeply when
he hears of trainers forcing, intimidating, scolding or
hurting dogs.

More than that, he knows that force is not effective
and that it will certainly lead to behavior problems;
sometime problems so severe that people put their
dogs down because of those problems.

I believe that it is natural for humans to want to control
their dog by force. Jerry knows this too. We have all been
at our wits' end, haven't we?

Dogs have a natural tendency to mimic. In scientific
literature it is referred to allelomimetic behavior. Dogs
respond in like kind to force; they respond in like kind
to praise.

Don't bribe your dog with treats; give him what he
wants most-your kind attention. Give him your praise.
You will be astonished at how your dog 's anxiety will
dissipate and how their behavior problems will dissipate
along with their anxiety.

Treat Jerry Howe's (The Puppy Wizard) Wits' End
Training Method as a scientific principle just as you
would the law of gravity and you will have astounding
success.

Dog behavior is just as scientific as is gravity.

If you follow Jerry's puppy rules you will get a sweet
little Magwai; if you don't you will surely get a little
gremlin (anyone see The Gremlins?). --Larry

From: Mike (m.bidd...@ns.sympatico.ca)
Subject: Re: Info. on the puppy wizard?
Date: 2004-07-18 14:27:02 PST

> > Oh, and did I mention his methods work, ya nuff said.
> > Mike
> Ok Mike which part worked for you?

It helped clear problems from my dogs in the
field using the can penny distraction technique.

Works like a charm.

My dogs get distracted easy from their jobs ie,
retrieving or training to find lost people, oh did
I mention that I am a Search and Rescue Team
Leader.

Sorry that slipped my mind.

I have read volumes of training books and don't
know where people get that Jerry copied others
work as I have NEVER come across his methods
before. I would like to see proof.

Just like Jerry outlined I eliminated problems one
at at time as they arose. I used to try and train to
the way I wanted them but this is backward, you
train out the problems leaving what you want left over.

Funny part is the second dog who had the same
problems as the other didn't need correcting for
some of his habits after I cleared it from the first
dog.

Seemed he learned through osmosis.

Nice side benefit there.

It nearly came to giving them up to a 3rd party
trainer as they were not performing well. The
VAST majority of working dog trainers are
agressive in their actions with the dogs.

I tried it and it didn't work and guess what I
was at my "Whits End" then someone I new
turned me onto Jerry and the rest is history.

I referred friends and families to Jerry's manual
and all have had great results. Starting puppies
out on the distraction technique is especially
good because they never develop the habit.

I had my sisters dog healing, sitting and down
stay reliably at 8-9 weeks. The first night home
following Jerrys advice we ditched the crate and
put the pup on the floor beside the bed and after
2 whimpers NOT A SOUND OUT OF THAT DOG
FOR 6 HRS! first night, that has never happened
in all my days.

Sorry, the man understands dogs its that simple.

Mike

"*.@DCFWatch.com" wrote:

No, the dog learned that I would hold still
the second she began to pull. She would pull
to go where *she* wanted.

Well if she wanted to stop and go in another
direction.. say to sniff my neighbors yard..

she learned if she wanted to do it I would stop
walking and she could go.. and if there wasn't
enough slack on her lead she would just pull me.

Then when she got done doing *her* thing, she woudl
heel.. smile at me and wait for me to say "let's go"
and finish *my* thing. I would refuse to move .. i
looked like an idiot.. freezing mid walk for minutes
waiting for *my* dog to heel and give *me* permission
to go again.

I did the treats and the let's go... she got to do her
stuff and get a cookie.. if she even wanted the cookie.

I wound up calling Jerry.. as I have a half red nose
pit and half amstaff.. who is incredibly protective..

we had a new pup on the way.. and i needed help.. i
followed petsmarts trainnign guides.. memorized them...
and they *did* work, don't get me wrong.. but only
when my pet wanted a cookie or felt the cookie was
better than what she wanted.. which was not often.

She quickly learned to ignore my commands if she
could see my hands were empty. So I called Jerry...
he chatted me for about an hour and a half.. gave me
his link... and even when i had probs intro'ing the
pup he called me withn i5 mins of my email for help
at 10pm on a sunday night.

One.. singular.. uno family pack exercise after
the hot and cold exercise and i could zig zag
down my street.. about face .. whatever.. and
never had tension.

two men were acrossed the street and she walked right
by them... ordinarily she'd snarl and protect us.

And in two days.. my dog.. who bit the puppy if he
even looked like he was going near my husband or kids..
is nursing him every hour.. cleaning him.. rough housing
gently.. and teaching him to go potty outside..

actually watches him to make sure he doesn't go in
the house... and has milk.. which is awesome since
she's 19 months old and has never had a litter.

She also has stopped barking non stop at our neighbor's
dogs and pig.. does not bark at eveyr car that drives by
and has stopped jumping on people. she's even starting
to ignore our cat who has lived on her dome litter box
and our window sill (literally) for over a year and a half.

She also does her commands on cue.. and doesn't look for a treat.

From: "George von Hilsheimer, Ph.D." <drv...@mindspring.com>
Subject: The Amazing Jerry's take on psychobabble
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:13:44 -0400

You might improve the learning of folk who actually
live with and train dogs to do useful things if you
excluded everyone who uses psychobabble from your lists.

I recommend to all of you who wish to taste the flavor
of sensible animal behaviorists to read THE MISBEHAVIOR
OF ORGANISMS, Breland and Breland.

This married pair of psychologists began the long trail
of highly trained animals who are symbolized by Shamu
eating a mackrel from a girl's hand instead of eating
the much more tasty pretty girl who is exactly the size
of the natural food of killer whales, seals. Yum!

The essay, by the way, is a chapter in B.F. Skinner's
summing up book, CUMULATIVE RECORD. They include a
sentence which more or less says, "unless you understand
the personal history of the particular animal, and the
history of this animal's species and group, the developmental
history of the animal, you cannot effectively train the animal.

Pigs root and hen's scratch, if you try to train hens without
scratching or pigs without scratching or pigeons without pecking,
you aren't going to have much success.

A conditional reflex is one which is learned, the original
primitive reflex occurs no matter what the history of the
animal, and is hard wired. If you train the animal to respond,
say by ringing a bell immediately before turning on a bright
light, then you've taught the animal and made his native reflex
of pupil constriction conditional upon the ringing of a bell.

Thorndyke added some terminology to this kind of training
and insisted that when you train the animal to make gross
motor responses that this learning is "instrumental", the
animal takes action and uses an instrument.

The Russian word translated as "conditional" in all other
contexts was mistranslated by Pavlov's American translator,
Horsley Gannt, as "conditioned" and so American psychology
went haring after phantasmagora.

The major theorists for the development of the language of
operant conditioning are Edward Thorndike, John Watson, and
B. F. Skinner. Their approach to behaviorism played a major
role in the development of American psychology.

They proposed that learning is the result of the application
of consequences; that is, learners begin to connect certain
probability of the response to change (i.e., learning occurs.)

Thorndike labeled this type of learning instrumental. Using
consequences, he taught kittens to manipulate a latch (e.g.,
an instrument). Skinner renamed instrumental as "operant"
because in this learning, one is "operating" on, and is
influenced by, the environment. Where classical conditioning
illustrates S-->R learning, operant conditioning is often
viewed as R-->S learning since it is the consequence that
follows the response that influences whether the response
is likely or unlikely to occur again.

It is through operant conditioning that
voluntary responses are learned.

One should note that Russian Psychology did very well
without the operant language, and only pettifogging
university professors ought to worry about what kind
of label we attach to the learning. Pfui!

Even Skinner understood this!

And please note if you saw the original movie, THE
MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, you saw a Chinese psychologist
who was based on Andrew Salter, CONDITIONED REFLEX
THERAPY.

Alas, Salter didn't have a Ph.D., but he basically rescued
us from the long Freudian nightmare and returned psychotherapy
to a scientific basis. Alas, the 2nd movie didn't even cite
Salter as a source. "...all the highest nervous activity, as
it manifests itself in the conditional reflex, consists of a
continual change of these three fundamental processes --
excitation, inhibition and disinhibition." Ivan P. Pavlov

George von Hilsheimer, Ph.D., F.R.S.H.

What's important is, "does Shamu reliably eat
the fish and not the pretty girl?"

George von Hilsheimer, Ph.D., F.R.

From: AIMEE (countrygirl0...@yahoo.com)
Subject: House training and such...
Date: 2003-10-08 16:18:56 PST

I've been having a problem with my dog, Axel,
relieving himself in the house while I'm away
from home.

I've used TPW method's, and yesterday I was out
for 12 hours, and Axel didn't have one single "accident".

Today, I had hoped that the results would be just as
good - and they were (I was out for 11 hours).

The problem began when, as a puppy, Axel would
relieve himself in the house and I would point at the
mess and tell him "NO" or "Bad Dog".

That made him afraid to relieve himself in the house
or infront of me.

After I got TPW's training manual, I corrected my
mishandling of these instances.

When I came home to an "accident", I would simply
drop a can near the area and ask Axel "What's that?"
Then I would clean it up - with out showing him I was
the least bit upset about the mess, and when he looked
at the spot I would tell him "Good boy, you're a good dog".

This has been an ongoing problem, and thanks to the
Puppy Wizard, we've finally got it taken care of...

Also, Axel LOVES the cat's litter box...He enjoys the
"snacks" he can find in there...I followed TPW's methods
by alternating sounds and praising him while or before
he sticks his nose in it, and today, he's been going into
the room with the cat box and barking. That's because
he's thinking about getting into the box, but he knows he
shouldn't.

Thank you, Jerry, for all you help. You've been a
blessing to all of us.

AIMEE

===================

From: AIMEE (countrygirl0...@yahoo.com):

I own a black an tan coonhound. We got him
as a puppy, and due to constant mishandling
(pulling on his lead, negative corrections, and
the occasional use of a bark collar) I ended
up with a very anxious dog.

I couldn't leave him home alone, I couldn't
crate him, I couldn't even take my dog for
walks because he feared EVERYTHING.

I was going to have to get rid of him if things
didn't turn around.

My husband and I searched the internet for
answers - AND WE FOUND THE PUPPY WIZARD.

For all of you disbeliveers out there HIS METHODS WORK!

I've followed his manual, and we now have a
dog that can be left home alone, that heels
on command, that can go outside and NOT
be afraid of everything he sees.

Not only have his methods helped our dog, but
our marriage has gotten better. We had fallen
into a rut - constant bickering and tension, we
never laughed or had FUN together - but now,
with the same mindset used in THE PUPPY
WIZARDS dog training, our communications
channels have opened, and we now work
together instead of against one another.

For all the "Literalists" out there, NO WE DID
NOT TEACH EACH OTHER TO SIT, STAY,
OR HEEL.

We simply eliminated the nagging and the acting
out to get NEGATIVE attention from one another
since we weren't getting the POSITIVE attention
we wanted.

So, it's been proven - THE PUPPY WIZARDS
METHODS WORK.

It's up to you to accept them. Yes, there's alot of blame
that we have to accept, but once we realize that we've
caused these problems to arise, we can strive to make
things better.

AIMEE

=================

Jim
2005-11-14 20:42:25 EST
Keep my dogs outside, except for some brief interludes for affection.
Latest toy is by Hartz. Rope with a simulated tire on it. Depth of tread
is similar to a real tire. Material of tire seems identical.

Whatever the breed, if I give one affection, the other gets the same. If
the dog, whichever, reacts by blocking affection to the other, its anxiety.
So is chewing all, despite availability of provided chewing items.

The male likes performing a purpose, like pulling me for miles on a walk.
Any time digress results in my punishment by chewing items not for that
reason, even though the dog does not do it for that purpose. Typical of
Husky breed. German Shepherds simply want a purpose, a task.

Not grabbintg the bark from the juniper tree at 6 ft high and rippiing the
bark to the ground is not too high on the expection realm, I believe.

Try again, the femiale puppy is picking up some of his behavior. Have
numerous minor wounds from their mouthiness.

If you want specifics, specify.
--
Lil' Dave
Beware the rule quoters, the corp mindset, the Borg
"RobDar" <robdar@houndsong.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > of
> > attention from me outside of that. They get a chewy type "scooby snack"
> > for
> > good behavior, and irregardless in the early morning after greeting me.
> >
> > Have had many advice on how to fix the male dog's obvious anxiety
problem
> > manifestations: chewing and affection blocking. Ranging from pulling
all
> > his teeth, cage him, swap him for a real dog, chain him to a tree
forever,
> > shock collar, or just "get rid of him". Nothing positive.
> >
> > Except for the two posters that spam us with inappropriate advice on
daily
> > basis here (won't see your advice anyway as its intentionally blocked),
> > does
> > anyone else have advice on how to fix this problem?

A*@HushMail.Com
2005-11-14 21:30:16 EST
HOWEDY robdar,

You're just a dog abusing blowhard.

RobDar wrote:

> My honest opinion...your best bet is to contact a REPUTABLE and
> PROFESSIONAL rescue group

THAT would be YOU!:

"My name is Darin Lee, and my wife is Roberta (thus the author name
RobDar). We operate a Beagle and Coonhound Rescue (RobDar's
HoundSong Rescue) in northwest Indiana."

Northwest Indiana Beagle Rescue (Roberta & Darin Lee)

The only requirement is that the dog has to used to
being kept in outdoor kennels without howling like
a fool at every leaf that blows or voice it hears.

Contact Darin Lee
RobDar's HoundSong Rescue
r*r@houndsong.com

> experienced in your breed (Adopt-a-Husky is a good place to start).

They're the folks like yourself who DISADVANTAGE dogs and
their owners of their original HOWESES for PROFIT.

> We see and deal with just about every behavioral issue there is in rescue..

INDEED? So perhaps you got some ADVICE?

> if anyone can give you good breed specific behavioral advice

THERE AIN'T NO SUCH THING. You bums AIN'T gettin away
with BLAMIN the DOG nodoGgamenend more.

> it will likely be a rescue...

BWEEEEEEEEEEAAAHAHAHAHHAAAA!!!

You're a SPAMMER and a SCAMMER.

> especially if they know they can keep a dog in its home by helping!

Let's see your advice?

> Good Luck!

Dog trainin AIN'T LUCK, dog abuser.

> p.s We have had some luck with the Coonhounds...talk about a chewy
> puppy...by taking the twisted rope toys and soaking them over night in a
> 50/50 mix of water and beef broth and then freezing them. The cold soothes
> the teething and the beef broth keeps their interest...do not let them chew
> on them in and around light colored furniture or carpet though.

THAT'S the BEST advice you got???

Well then, let's get on to the BEGGIN:

Special Thanks

To all of our adoptive families...

A recent email from a woman who had some serious
concerns about the way her contact with another
rescue was handled has reminded us of an often
overlooked aspect of this work.

The woman who had emailed had been spoken to,
very rudely...dare I say maliciously...by this
other rescue. Her request for a small dog had
somehow angered the director and spurred her
into a tirade.

The ryhme and reason of this rescues very brutal
response to her request escapes me. I am however,
left with this thought...

Rescue work can sometimes be difficult. The manner
of people rescuers are sometimes forced to deal with
can be equally difficult. It is understandable how
some can loose perspective and be "swallowed" by the
bitterness and disappointment that comes as part of
the job.

The fact remains however that rescue work is also a
work of hope. While rescuers may see the worst that
people can do to animals, we are also afforded the
joy of seeing the best that people can do as well.

Perhaps it is a choice. One can go about this work
seeing the worst, or seeing the best. RobDar's prefers
the later.

While RobDar's may "choose" to see all the best that
comes from rescue work, I must admit we have been
negligent in our appreciations. We are quick to thank
all those who have donated or provided specific help
and/or assistance to us in one way or another...but
seem to have forgotten the rest of you.

Perhaps this is where the other rescue has gone off mark.
They, as have we, have forgotten that; without each of
you, the community at large, there would be no one to adopt
the dogs we have rescued. While, Yes, there are those in
that community that should not own pets, there are entirely
more that, without any coaxing on our part, choose to rescue
an animal in need.

There are entirely more that open their hearts and homes
to rescue animals. Though these animals history may not
be known and their behavior may be a bit quirky...whatever
the case...these people take these animals into their lives.

For this, RobDar's...as should all rescue orginazations...
thank you. The future of our animals and our rescue, lies
in your hands...without each of you; nothing that we have
done would have been possible. Many might think that all
you have done is adopted a dog...the truth is that you have
done much more than just that...you have given us, the
RobDar's orginazation and that sweet little pup the most
important thing any rescue can be given...you have given
us hope.

For that there are no thank you's that suffice.

A*@HushMail.Com
2005-11-14 21:31:41 EST

<{#}: ~ } > http://www.tinyurl.com/7bl5u < { ~ :{@}>