Dog Discussion: Car Sickness

Car Sickness

JenMarie
2003-09-28 15:51:26 EST
Does anyone know how to help my puppy with car sickness? Any tips will be helpful.

I have a 6 month old German Shepard.

Thanks

The Puppy Wizard
2003-09-28 20:15:23 EST
HOWEDY JenMarie,

"JenMarie" <jenmarie@myway.com> wrote in message

> Does anyone know how to help my puppy with car sickness?

Carsickness has little to do with the car, it's
got to do with the handler not being able to
CONTROL the motion and vibration of the car.

> Any tips will be helpful.

There's a few drugs, and ginger, peppermint,
maybe a slice of bread will help, but they won't
CURE the PROBLEM.

Curing car sickness is EZ if you know HOWE.

> I have a 6 month old German Shepard.

Should take just a few minutes to break his
anxiety using distraction and praise at the first
signs of anxiety. You'll do best to study and follow
all the instructions in your FREE copy of The
Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog
Training Method Manual.

> Thanks

You could desensitize him by sitting with him in
the car with the motor off.

Carefully time how long he is comfortable before
you notice him start to drool, or show other signs
of being uncomfortable. He could do more than
spit up a bit, so watch for that too.

Repeat the procedure several times, noting how
long it takes each time before he gets nervous.
They are usually consistent, so if you drove him
for fifteen minutes before he got ill, he'll probably
do that any time he's riding or even just parked
in the car for that amount of time.

So, you would plan on sitting in the car for probably
thirty minutes, but expect him to get sick shortly after
fifteen minutes have elapsed. If he's O.K. after a while,
you can start the motor for a couple of minutes.

After a few repetitions, take him for a couple of short
rides. Drive him until he looks like he's starting to get
nervous, stop and take him out and mark that amount
of time in your notes.

Get him used to riding a few times just a couple of
minutes LESS than what it took to get him nervous.

He'll probably get used to riding in a couple of days,
as you slowly increase the amount of time he can
make it.

I have seen adult dogs that never could make it more than
thirty five minutes before getting really sick, but that was a
long time ago, and there are methods today that were not
available then, for serious car sickness.

There lots of things you can do to CURE phobias nearly instantly,
like The Puppy Wizard's Surrogate Toy Separation Anxiety / Bed
Time Calming Technique. You don't have to reserve it only for
separation and beddie byes.

"Just Want To Second Jerry's Method For
Dealing With This (Destructive Separation
Anxiety). I've Suggested It To Quite A Few
Clients Now And It's Worked 'EVERY TIME
The Very First Time' "- marilyn, Trainer, 33
Years Experience.

The advice to make the dog wear a tee shirt may help some
dogs, especially those who are generally nervHOWES. It's
intended to do what we don't want to do using physical contact
in non physical conditioning.

HOWE it works is by flooding the dog with sensation and lettin
him get comfortable being overly stimulated, thereby learning
HOWE to control his anxiety in general. There's lots of merit
to it despite its low % of success judging by the reports. It's
not likely to cause further problems if it fails to work.

Of curse, what the reports do not say is HOWE the critters
were handled in general at the time the tee shirt was used
and if there was any training / conditioning routine followed.

Chris Williams writes:

"The FREE Wits' End Dog Training Method manual
I do find valuable. Much of it I recognize as what
I've always done without thinking of it as "training".
New stuff, I've used. His anchoring technique erased
the last of Mac's fireworks trauma,"

====================

From: Chris Williams (k9apple@webtv.net)
Subject: Re: Thank you Jerry Howe
Date: 2002-03-26 08:16:19 PST

Engrossing account, Anthony. Our best to Angel
and your family.

A friend, who socializes the kittens I've taken
from a feral cat colony, is using the DDR.

She reports far fewer panic problems than
she's had before.

============================

Subj: Fear of Thunder
Date: 6/29/02 6:07:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From: Jraltman
To: Witsenddog

Dear Jerry,

I hope you'll be able to post this message so more people who
are at their wit's end will be able to help their dogs.

To review:

Our puppy was uncomfortable during thunder
storms. At the beginning of the problem, she
paced restlessly from room to room. She
couldn't settle and sleep.

>From there the problem grew. She would run
to the far southeast corner of the house (which
makes sense because most storms here come
from the northwest) and she'd cower in the
corner of the couch and shake.

!st attempt to help her:

I'd pick her up, brush and massage her (call
me a nut - I've sung to her when I've done her
daily brushing since she was tiny so of course
I sang too) and when she relaxed, I'd put her
in her crate. She then slept and I thought the
problem was solved.

Traumatic event:

We were out in the park playing with one of
her doggy friends when it began to rain. On
the way home, there was the loudest, longest,
thunder clap I've ever heard. From that day on,
the problem got worse and worse. I couldn't
calm her with singing and massage. The fear
spread. She wouldn't go out if it was raining.
No thunder, just gently summer rain, and she
wouldn't go out.

The solution:

I surfed the net and came across a free manual
Wit's End Dog Training Method and a product
called Doggy Do Right that seemed better than
anything else I came across.

A phone call to Jerry Howe, author of the manual
and Director of Research, Biosound Scientific,
convince me to try both the manual and the product.

Problem solved:

I followed Jerry's suggestions (more phone calls -
he is most generous with his time and advice). The
first two thunder storms my puppy was restless but
not running around in a blind panic. The third storm,
she barked her deep, stranger danger bark after each
clap of thunder. The fourth storm, she seemed uneasy
at first. Soon she was asleep at my feet and she napped
through the rest of the storm. A miracle. I am endlessly
grateful to Jerry for his manual and his machine.

A word about Doggy Do Right. It is odd to buy
a machine that emits a sound I cannot hear.
I took the chance because Jerry offered a full
refund including shipping. Though I heard
nothing, my puppy clearly did. When I first
turned on the machine, she got the cutest,
most quizzical look on her face.

She looked at me as if to say: "What's that?
I never heard that before." She looks at the
machine when it is on. She rests on the floor
beneath it. It is obvious from her behavior
that she is aware of its cycles.

Amazing.

Thank you Jerry.

=========

Here's HOWE The Puppy Wizard takes care
of BUSINESS:

"Nevyn" <greatdane@badmama.com.au> wrote in message

> HOWEDY Group
>
> Here some SUCCESS STORIES ive had using
> JERRYS MANUAL
>
> 1) My dogz, two bitches - Vicious, barking, agressive,
> pulled on leash, wanted to kill any dogs they saw, fought
> between each other. TWO WEEKS using Jerrys manual,
> they were calm, friends, my companions.
>
> 2) ADDED A BEAGLE PUPPY (male) to my "PACK", the
> girls had -NO PROBLEMS- with him from the moment I
> dropped him by their noses.
>
> 3) My FRIENDS dogs 2 MALES barking and jumping at
> the fence all night 3 DAYS TRAINING WITH JERRYS
> MANUAL they were CALMED AND HAVENT BARKED ONCE!
>
> Added a NEW MALE DOG (2 yrs old) AND WELCOMED
> HIM WITH NO WUCKAS !
>
> 4) POODLE that ATE food from the KITCHEN BENCH - lock
> him in a box? NO! USE JERRYS MANUAL! 4 DAYS AND
> HES NEVER DONE IT SINCE !
>
> 5) ABUSED DOGS AT THE SHELTER I WORK AT - HAD
> TO BE FED WITH A BUCKET ON A STICK - ONE WEEK
> ON JERRYS MANUAL, THE SUPERVISOR TOLD ME TO
> PUT THEM IN THE PUBLIC KENNELS FOR SALE !
>
> Quite amazing to - I thought they were just dull
> coloured dogs, but after I had removed the fear
> and anxiety their hairs coloured up amazingly.
>
> 6) STAFFY FEMALE who would NOT DROP HER BALL!
> She carried it around all day and night - 3 DAYS on Jerrys
> MANUAL and she now DROPS it when u ASK her to!
>
> BWHWHAHAHAHAAHA !!!!
>

> Nevyn

Fear Of Thunder & Pronged Choke Collars

Subject: Fear Of Thunder & Pronged Choke Collars

Hello People,

Here's the deal on pulling on leash and phobias like fear of
thunder.

I've been trying to get you to understand the intricacies and
dynamics of dog behavior. There are a few people who have
learned and benefited by what I've been teaching here. For
the vast majority, this has been an effort in futility, but I knew
all that before I started. That's WHY I'm here...

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare to take a quantum leap
into awareness, LIKE IT OR NOT.

Look at the people we know here, with dogs who
demonstrate a fear of thunder. MOST of those folks are
dominance trainers who rely on pronged or choke collars
to force control over their dogs' behavior.

Why do I say there is a correlation between dominant
trainers, pronged or choke collars, and fear of thunder?
BECAUSE THAT IS A FACT. The dominance and pronged
choke collar crowd rely on FEAR and FORCE to dominate
and control the dog...

The AMOUNT of FORCE APPLIED to the collar is NOT the ''BAD GUY."

ANY amount of force, JUST THE FACT the dog is wearing a
pronged or choke collar, is the culprit, and THAT is what is
responsible for the dog NOT being SELF CONFIDENT, and
therefore he is NOT ABLE to cope with STRESSORS they
cannot understand, like separation, fireworks, and thunder.

CONFIDENT dogs do not react with undue fear to loud
noises and unusual circumstances, because they have
developed confidence in themselves through the appropriate
leadership of their handler.

Where does the pronged choke collar and dominance enter
the equation?

When we totally subordinate our dogs, they rely on US, and
NOT THEMSELVES, to assume control in ANY situation.
The dog has NEVER LEARNED SELF CONTROL, and
hence, they lack SELF-CONFIDENCE.

This is what happens when a thunder storm approaches.
The POWERFUL leader is NOT ENFORCING CONTROL
over the situation, and now the dog is relying on himself. The
dog's
CONFIDENCE is TOTALLY wrapped up in the
relationship of accepting MORE FEAR and FORCE, to
override his natural instinctive, reflexive behaviors.

THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS EVERY TIME THE PRONGED
CHOKE COLLAR is applied. FEAR of the prongs
OVERRIDES the natural response of POSITIVE
THIGMOTAXIS, and causes the dog to emotionally collapse
inward.

YOU are RESPONSIBLE for MAINTAINING and
INCREASING your dog's PHOBIAS, like SEPARATION,
STRANGERS, and THUNDER...

PEOPLE! LISTEN TO ME!

USE this INFORMATION to wean yourself away from the
STANDARD, ACCEPTED, JERKING and CHOKING, and
SHOCKING, and give YOURSELF the ABILITY and
CONFIDENCE to INSTILL SELF-CONFIDENCE in your dog...

You can get all the information you need to properly handle
and train your dog using non force, non confrontational,
scientific and psychological behavior modification and
conditioning techniques, from The Puppy Wizard's FREE
Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual.

"I know that most men, including those at ease with
problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept
even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would
oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they
have delighted in explaining to colleagues, proudly
taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by
thread, into the fabric of their lives."
-Leo Tolstoy-

Is it any wonder that the following sig file has generated
more complaints to my personal email than any other
controversial post I have made to date, bar none?:

CAVEAT
If you have to do things to your dog to train him that you
would rather not have to do, then you shouldn't be doing
them. If you have a dog trainer who tells you to jerk your
dog around, choke him, pinch his ears, or twist his toes,
shock, shake, slap, scold, hit, chin cuff, scruff shake or
punish your dog in any manner, that corrections
are appropriate, that the dog won't think of you as the
punisher, or that corrections are not harmful, or if they
can't train your dog to do what you want, look for a
trainer that knows HOWE.

Thank you,
Jerry Howe,
Director of Research,
BIOSOUND Scientific
Director of Training,
Wits' End Dog Training
1611 24th St
Orlando, FL 32805
Phone: 1-407-425-5092
Phone: 1-888-BIOSOUND (1-888-246-7686)
Phone: 1-888-WITSEND (1-888-948-7363)
http://www.doggydoright.com

Nature, to be mastered, must be obeyed.
-Francis Bacon-

There are terrible people who, instead of solving a
problem, bungle it and make it more difficult for all who
come after. Who ever can't hit the nail on the head
should, please, not hit at all.
-Nietzsche-

The abilities to think, rationalize and solve problems are
learned qualities.

The Wits' End Dog Training Method challenges the learning
centers in the dogs brain. These centers, once challenged,
develop and continue to grow to make him smarter.

The Wits' End Dog Training method capitalizes on
praising split seconds of canine thought, strategy, and
timing, not mindless hours of forced repetition, constant
corrections, and scolding.
-Jerry Howe-

The Puppy Wizard. <}TPW ; ~ ) >

ANY QUESTIONS, DUMMIES?
,-._,-,
V)"(V
(_o_) Have a great day!
/ V)
(l l l) Your Puppy Wizzzard. <}YPW ; ~ } >
oo-oo

Diana
2003-09-29 04:04:41 EST

"JenMarie" <jenmarie@myway.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how to help my puppy with car sickness? Any tips will be
helpful.

> I have a 6 month old German Shepard.
>
> Thanks

Ginger is supposed to work well, along side gentle desensitisation. you can
get the ginger in pill form.

Diana

The Puppy Wizard
2003-09-29 21:20:44 EST
HOWEDY lush,

Carsickness fear of thunder and separation anxiety have little to
do with the
car thunder or absences.

Carsickness fear of thunder and separation anxiety are caused by
MISHANDLING. On accHOWENT of the CONTROLLER is unable
to control the ENVIRONMENT the dog becomes anxiHOWES.

You're a liar and a dog abuser and a mental case and you can't
post
here noMOORE.

The Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >

"Diana" <diana@dogstuffagain.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message

> "JenMarie" <jenmarie@myway.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone know how to help my puppy with car sickness? Any
tips will be
> helpful.
> >
> > I have a 6 month old German Shepard.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Ginger is supposed to work well, along side gentle
desensitisation. you can
> get the ginger in pill form.
>
> Diana

JenMarie
2003-09-30 18:38:28 EST
Howdy - Puppy Wizard,

Thank you - I will try first to make the puppy familiar and
comfortable.

I think your advice about working wiht the puppy will help me be a
better puppy mommy.

Let's see how it goes.

Appreciate the update.

Jen Marie

"The Puppy Wizard" <ThePuppyWizard@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<vQKdb.36725$ai7.16971@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> [...]
> should, please, not hit at all.
> -Nietzsche-
>
> The abilities to think, rationalize and solve problems are
> learned qualities.
>
> The Wits' End Dog Training Method challenges the learning
> centers in the dogs brain. These centers, once challenged,
> develop and continue to grow to make him smarter.
>
> The Wits' End Dog Training method capitalizes on
> praising split seconds of canine thought, strategy, and
> timing, not mindless hours of forced repetition, constant
> corrections, and scolding.
> -Jerry Howe-
>
> The Puppy Wizard. <}TPW ; ~ ) >
>
> ANY QUESTIONS, DUMMIES?
> ,-._,-,
> V)"(V
> (_o_) Have a great day!
> / V)
> (l l l) Your Puppy Wizzzard. <}YPW ; ~ } >

The Puppy Wizard
2003-10-01 14:13:11 EST

> Howdy - Puppy Wizard,
>
> Thank you -

Your welcome.

> I will try first to make the puppy familiar and comfortable.

EXCELLENT. A WIZE choice.

> I think your advice about working wiht the puppy will
> help me be a better puppy mommy.

BETTER is UNACCEPTABLE.

PERFECT is The Puppy Wizard's only measure of SUCCESS.

> Let's see how it goes.

You'll get near instant success or The Puppy Wizard
will get the heel HOWETA this business.

> Appreciate the update.

The pleasure is all The Puppy Wizard's.

> Jen Marie