Dog Discussion: Training Tools And Methods

Training Tools And Methods

The Puppy Wizard
2003-09-27 18:51:15 EST
Training Tools And Methods

HOWEDY People,

In case you haven't noticed, there's a little dissent on our
dog lover's forums. Some of our experts object to some
other experts criticizing their choices of their training tools
and methods.

Choke shock and restraint devices have no place in dog
training.

Methods and tools don't hurt and intimidate and kill dogs,
incompetent self professed experts who use choke shock
and restraint devices PROPERLY, do.

The TRAINERS and VETERINARY BEHAVIORISTS we get our
information and advice from, are the cause of our dog behavior
problems, not the tools they use that trigger the SYMPTOMS
of the dysfunction of the incompetent alphalpha, dominance,
and force trainers.

While we're cleaning HOWES on ineffective inappropriate pain
inflicting device USERS, we might as well expose our
incompetent clicker trainers who are so expert with their
communication methods they resort to "delayed punishment"
as our professor lying doc "scruff shake and scream NO into
its face for 5 seconds and lock IT in a box for ten minutes
contemplation" dermer of the department of ANAL-ytic
behaviorISM at UofWI was so hugely impressed with in
expert clicker trainer gary wilcox's five seconds of intimidation
prior to inflicting punishment.

Our dog lovers recommend shirley chong our craphouse
clicker trainer, who relies on pronged choke and shock
devices when her ineffective clicker method fails. And
let's not forget our "Click 'N Nick" fans.

O.K. folks. The distasteful, dangerous, training tools and
methods are held harmless if they're not used by our expert
dog lovers who aren't bright enough to outwit the cunning of
the domestic puppy dog, or they wouldn't NEED to HURT the
dog to train them in the first place.

Would they?

Dog trainers who need to physically or emotionally force
intimidate dominate or "alphalphabetize" an animal to train IT
are incompetent and are entirely at fault for choosing the
pain, fear, and force methods they teach which are responsible
for almost all dog behavior problems.

Disciple Paul explains once again, in his Letters To The
Cretins:

I use sound to distract the dog and praise it immediately.

The reason for the immediate praise is that as soon as the dog
is distracted it's no longer thinking of the inappropriate
behaviour so the praise reinforces the "not doing" the
unwanted behaviour.

I use various sound sources, a soda can with stones in
it, car keys, click my fingers, etc. Varying the direction
of the sound each time is important too, otherwise the
dog may begin to anticipate the sound and it will lose
it's effect, if the noise direction is random the dog won't
get too familiar with it and it will remain an effective
distraction.

Remember too that we aren't trying to scare the bejesus
outta the dog, simply breaking it's train of thought while it's
thinking of the unwanted behaviour.

Sometimes you won't even see a reaction but the dog will
have been distracted fleetingly. (Recently one of my dogs
started habitually licking my feet while I was watching TV,
I clicked my fingers on her left side and told her "good girl"
even though she only paused her licking briefly, next I
clicked over her right side and praised, by about the 4th
repeat she suddenly stopped, I repeated this over a few
nights and now she doesn't lick any more, on the few
occasions she absent mindedly licks now ll I do is click
and praise and she immediately stops).

Timing is important too, learn to anticipate when the dog
is thinking about doing the "dirty deed" and distract and
praise then, with any luck the dog will try again almost
immediately so distract and praise again, if the timing is
correct after about the 4th rep the dog will stop.

I could go on but this post is long enough already,
remember too that the dog isn't being a "bad dog",
it's behaviour is simply inappropriate for the circumstances.

Happy training, :-)

Paul
====================

Here's two Pauls:

Date: 5/22/03 11:24:35 PM Eastern
Daylight Time
From: p@cfl.rr.com
To: Witsenddog@aol.com

Well, let me tell you, your Wits' End
Dog Training Method works.

My dog, Dasie, Loves to chase chameleons
around the barbecue on the patio. I
used this system on four different occasions.

When she went out today, she looked
everywhere else but the barbecue.
Amazing, just amazing.

I will write to Amanda about the video.

I am really excited to learn more, and
understand. Maybe just a little reassurance
that I am going about it the right way.

Thanks again
Paul

From: Paul B (NOSPAMpaulbousie@clear.net.nz)
Subject: Re: Dog vs cat food (stealing cat food)
Date: 2001-03-03 22:18:03 PST

It's possible to teach a dog not to eat out of a cat bowl
without too much difficulty.

My dogs don't touch the food in the cat bowls although
Roz licks up any bits that have been dropped around the bowls
:-)

I used a can with stones in it to create a distraction
anytime the dogs tried to eat the cats food, followed
with immediate praise. It worked a treat.

The cats bowls are down all the time, usually there is
food left over but the dogs don't eat it, even if we go
out and leave the dogs with access inside through a dog door.

Paul

--
Obedience and affection are not related, if they
were everyone would have obedient dogs.

See the dogs, cats, us and pics of NZ etc at my homepage.....

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/paulbousie/index.html

Updated regularly (last time 23 Jan 01) so keep coming back!!!

====================

"Paul B" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "shaper" <nomail@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
> > I have been reading these forums for a few weeks
> > now, and am getting really confused!!
> > but is there actually anyone who has used the
> > methods in this manual with any success ?

100% TOTAL NON PHYSICAL CONTROL, NEARLY
INSTANTLY, BY NEARLY EVERY FREE WWW Wits'
End Dog Training Method Manual Student.

It's the GENTLEST, FASTEST, MOST EFFECTIVE,
NON FORCE, NON CONFRONTATIONAL, NON BRIBE, SCIENTIFIC and
PSYCHOLOGICAL technique in the
Whole Wild World, BAR NONE.

===============================

Date: 2000/10/21

Something occurred this morning that made me think how
we treat our dogs and what expectations we have of them.

Because it was a Saturday we slept in and the dogs
eventually jumped up on the bed on my wife's side. After
a brief greeting she very abruptly demanded they get down,
"OFF THE BED" she insisted, Sam looked at her perplexed,
so she repeated the "order", so Sam tried to lick her face,
"GET OFF" she said abruptly.

Sam got down but was unsure what he had done wrong. After
a bit they both came over and jumped up on my side, I patted
them etc and eventually asked them to get down, "off the bed,
good dogs" and they hopped off immediately with no prob's.

Eileen asked me why they obey me and not her so easily.
I told her they got down for me because I asked them to,
they know the command "off the bed" or "off anything" so
there is no need to demand it of them, ask them and they
will comply, demand it and they get confused because
they think you are annoyed with them but they don't know
why so they try to "make amends" which is why Sam licked her.

I have found giving dogs "payment" in advance i.e. "Sam
sit goodboy" makes the dogs want to respond, after all, all
dogs want to be "good dogs" and if you tell them they are
good then they feel an obligation to obey your request.

Telling Sam he's a good dog after he sit's apart from been too
late is also a gamble because if he doesn't sit then there's
no positive interaction.

Trust your dog, ask it to do your request and say "good dog"
sincerely at the end of the request and I bet you'll find your
dog thinking then responding everytime.

Paul

=======================

From: Paul B (NOSPAMpanders@zfree.co.nz)
Date: 2001-07-03 03:05:59 PST

A bit of respect works wonders, the same rule applies to
every aspect of the relationship with your dog.

Paul.

========================

From: Becky (BeckySiz@new.rr.com)
Subject: Re: Crate Anxiety
Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Date: 2002-04-04 12:56:23 PST

Try Jerry Howe's training manual and check out his Doggy
Do Right (And Kitty Will And A Rooster Did And A Cockatoo
Or Two Did Too) machine....it is for this.

Please do not listen to the others in here that don't like
him or his methods, they have never tried them....I have
and it works!!!!

I broke my dog from nipping almost 100% in 1 day and
she usually does this SEVERAL times a day and actually
makes my kids bleed!

Try it or contact him! The manual is at the above website
also, and it is free!

Becky