Dog Discussion: How To Protect Dogs Against Neighbor's Pit Bulls?

How To Protect Dogs Against Neighbor's Pit Bulls?

Greg
2005-10-02 15:57:51 EST
Two nights ago I awoke to our two Golden Retrievers barking loudly and a
banging noise at our outer porch door. As I opened the house door to
the porch, our two dogs rushed past and wildly barked at what turned out
to be a male and female pit Bull pair that the neighbor let outside at
03:30 in the morning. They looked like medium sized dogs with big heads
to me, but my wife immediately recognized them as Pit Bulls. Meanwhile,
our two dogs managed to pop the storm door lock due to their 207 LBS of
combined weight wildly lurching at the door. The door opens outward,
but I grabbed the edge and held it back from completely opening as both
sets of dogs lurched into the door barking and growling. It was a BIG
struggle for her and the now awake kids to get our dogs back off the
porch into the house while I stayed at the door holding the door edge so
that our dogs could not make it past me and rush through the door.

Luckily, although my finger tips were exposed to the outside as I
gripped the door edge, pulling it back, the Pit Bulls were either unable
to jump high enough to grab them, or more interested in our dogs barking
below me. After our dogs were back inside house, the Pit Bulls continued
growling and barking at the door, milling about in our driveway. Then
my neighbor's daughter pulled into her driveway and behind her house.
The Pit Bulls ran from my door behind that house, following her car. I
opened my door yelling for the dogs to come back and for her to stay in
her car (although she was behind her house and not visible anymore).
After a minute, her car re-emerged from behind her house with dogs
following and I yelled "come here, dogs." They raced back to my door,
resuming the growling and barking at my door. My Neighbor attempted to
open her car door and I yelled for her to stay inside the car since my
oldest child had called 911 several times in the 10 minutes that this
even was unfolding.

Finally, 4 police cars and an animal control van arrived. The animal
control officer couldn't maneuver himself to put his pole's loop around
a dog, and one by one, the cops emerged from their cars pointing shot
guns at the dogs. The dogs were very angry and tried to circle around
who ever they were currently after with one dog staying in front while
the other tried to come up from behind. Fortunately, the cops covered
each other's back. Finally,one cop pounded on a door about 4 houses
down, and the owner emerged to take her dogs inside.

After speaking with the owners, the animal control officer came back and
talked to my neighbor and myself. It turns out that when the Pit Bulls
followed my neighbor's car behind her house, she had her radio on and
did not see or hear them until she put her first leg outside the vehicle
and a dog grabbed and pulled her loose scrub pant leg. She reactively
pulled her leg back inside and shut the door, eventually pulling back
out of her driveway where she saw me attracting the dogs away from her.

The animal control officer said that these dogs were a mixed sex
couple who were acting predatory, and they WOULD have tore apart either
we humans or my dogs if they had managed to make it past me that night.
He further explained that he could do no more than issue violations
against the owners although he observed that they were sleeping at the
time their dogs were freely roaming, and that the owner said "I just
can't keep that yard gate secure." He advised us to continue to call
each time the dogs were off their property, but that until they bit
someone, they would have to remain with an owner who admitted that he
was sleeping while his dogs were breaking through the fence that he
"just can't secure."

I won't debate the finer points of the dog's motive and the law here,
but we were all convinced that the only reason these dogs didn't bite
someone was that they were unable to get a clear shot. So what do I/we
do to protect ourselves?

My neighbor's father said that he's buying a 12 gauge shot gun since
these are lethal dogs that are not stopped by baseball bats. I've since
talked to several police officers and 2 animal control officers that
agree that a can of mace, a pellet gun, or baseball bat offer no real
protection. I have three children and most homes on this street have
children, so I need a quick way to halt any future dog attack, but I'd
rather not have loaded weapon in the house - nor would I want to fire
one in a heavily populated area. What about a machete or sword?

Any ideas? Suggestions? By the way, one cop didn't say how he knew,
but that I might want to understand that the dog owners were "thugs" and
had criminal related activities going on. I fear that we are stuck with
this threat to our safety until these dogs hurt or kill someone.

Dog Fighting
2005-10-02 22:33:27 EST
Greg wrote:
> [...]
> do to protect ourselves?
>
> My neighbor's father said that he's buying a 12 gauge shot gun since
> these are lethal dogs that are not stopped by baseball bats. I've since
> talked to several police officers and 2 animal control officers that
> agree that a can of mace, a pellet gun, or baseball bat offer no real
> protection. I have three children and most homes on this street have
> children, so I need a quick way to halt any future dog attack, but I'd
> rather not have loaded weapon in the house - nor would I want to fire
> one in a heavily populated area. What about a machete or sword?
>
> Any ideas? Suggestions? By the way, one cop didn't say how he knew,
> but that I might want to understand that the dog owners were "thugs" and
> had criminal related activities going on. I fear that we are stuck with
> this threat to our safety until these dogs hurt or kill someone.

Russ
2005-10-02 23:30:02 EST
Too funny

Especially the opinion part "and they WOULD have tore apart either
> > we humans or my dogs if they had managed to make it past me that night."

Was it a full moon out?

Bwahahahahahaha

Did you ever stop to think that if a 10 ton truck came crashing down a hill,
that it was the drivers fault. Or do you shoot the truck with a shotgun?
Same thing here. Pieces of s#it that can't take care of themselves, let
alone 2 dogs.

Get a life

"Dog Fighting" <dogfighting@canada.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > do to protect ourselves?
> >
> > My neighbor's father said that he's buying a 12 gauge shot gun since
> > these are lethal dogs that are not stopped by baseball bats. I've since
> > talked to several police officers and 2 animal control officers that
> > agree that a can of mace, a pellet gun, or baseball bat offer no real
> > protection. I have three children and most homes on this street have
> > children, so I need a quick way to halt any future dog attack, but I'd
> > rather not have loaded weapon in the house - nor would I want to fire
> > one in a heavily populated area. What about a machete or sword?
> >
> > Any ideas? Suggestions? By the way, one cop didn't say how he knew,
> > but that I might want to understand that the dog owners were "thugs" and
> > had criminal related activities going on. I fear that we are stuck with
> > this threat to our safety until these dogs hurt or kill someone.

2005-10-03 06:53:53 EST
In article <_A10f.198321$wr.184285@clgrps12>,
d*u@abc.com says...
> Too funny
>
> Especially the opinion part "and they WOULD have tore apart either
> > > we humans or my dogs if they had managed to make it past me that night."
>
> Was it a full moon out?
>
> Bwahahahahahaha
>
> Did you ever stop to think that if a 10 ton truck came crashing down a hill,
> that it was the drivers fault. Or do you shoot the truck with a shotgun?
> Same thing here. Pieces of s#it that can't take care of themselves, let
> alone 2 dogs.
>
> Get a life

I'm not sure if you are suggesting that I DON'T defend my family,
neighbors, or own dogs. You havn't helped me figure out how I can
defend my family and neighbors against injury or death from these
violent dogs. I sure wish you were on my porch that night. I could
have pushed you out the door to distract those Pit Bulls so that my
neighbor could get inside without having her pant leg torn as the dogs
attempted to bite her.

The difference between a 10 ton truck and those dogs is that I could
dash out of the way of the truck and yell for my family to do the same.
The truck wouldn't change course to intercept us, or persevere for 15
minutes in an attempt to get at us. But yes, if the truck presented an
imminent threat,and I had a rocket launcher, I would take out that truck
before I let it hit a human.

My "opinion" that the dogs would have tore apart either we humans or my
dogs was formed after 15 minutes of sustained threatening behavior as
well as seeing them attempt to circle and attack 4 police and an animal
control officer and discovering that they ripped my neighbor's
daughter's pant leg as she innocently attempted to exit her vehicle.
Again, had you been here that night, I could have shoved you out the
door to pet them both and prove us wrong. I suppose that you are more
of an expert, and HAVE witnessed more animal attacks and vicious dogs
than the police or animal control officer that responded that night?

Bottom line: you are welcome to snipe from afar and you can remain
unprepared to defend your own family and neighbors, but I intend to act
on the same animal instinct that God put in all creatures including
those dogs: the will to live and to defend one's territory. When I
detect a threat to the safety of my family instinct compells me to plan
a response to neutralize any future threat.

It's a Dad thing, trolls wouldn't understand. Maybe when you grow up
and have a family of your own and become a member of a caring community
of neighbors you will understand.
--Regards. (still waiting: any suiggestions on how I could have broken
off their attack that night and/or taught them not to threaten or attack
again?)

Russ
2005-10-03 08:14:32 EST

I am just replying to the troll (dogfighting), not you.
I apologize. I thought it was a flame.

But I still firmly believe you should shoot the humans instead of the dogs

"Greg" <not@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
> In article <_A10f.198321$wr.184285@clgrps12>,
> dontmailmeillmailyou@abc.com says...
> > Too funny
> >
> > Especially the opinion part "and they WOULD have tore apart either
> >
> > Was it a full moon out?
> >
> > Bwahahahahahaha
> >
> > Did you ever stop to think that if a 10 ton truck came crashing down a
hill,
> > that it was the drivers fault. Or do you shoot the truck with a shotgun?
> > Same thing here. Pieces of s#it that can't take care of themselves, let
> > alone 2 dogs.
> >
> > Get a life
>
> I'm not sure if you are suggesting that I DON'T defend my family,
> neighbors, or own dogs. You havn't helped me figure out how I can
> defend my family and neighbors against injury or death from these
> violent dogs. I sure wish you were on my porch that night. I could
> have pushed you out the door to distract those Pit Bulls so that my
> neighbor could get inside without having her pant leg torn as the dogs
> attempted to bite her.
>
> The difference between a 10 ton truck and those dogs is that I could
> dash out of the way of the truck and yell for my family to do the same.
> The truck wouldn't change course to intercept us, or persevere for 15
> minutes in an attempt to get at us. But yes, if the truck presented an
> imminent threat,and I had a rocket launcher, I would take out that truck
> before I let it hit a human.
>
> My "opinion" that the dogs would have tore apart either we humans or my
> dogs was formed after 15 minutes of sustained threatening behavior as
> well as seeing them attempt to circle and attack 4 police and an animal
> control officer and discovering that they ripped my neighbor's
> daughter's pant leg as she innocently attempted to exit her vehicle.
> Again, had you been here that night, I could have shoved you out the
> door to pet them both and prove us wrong. I suppose that you are more
> of an expert, and HAVE witnessed more animal attacks and vicious dogs
> than the police or animal control officer that responded that night?
>
> Bottom line: you are welcome to snipe from afar and you can remain
> unprepared to defend your own family and neighbors, but I intend to act
> on the same animal instinct that God put in all creatures including
> those dogs: the will to live and to defend one's territory. When I
> detect a threat to the safety of my family instinct compells me to plan
> a response to neutralize any future threat.
>
> It's a Dad thing, trolls wouldn't understand. Maybe when you grow up
> and have a family of your own and become a member of a caring community
> of neighbors you will understand.
> --Regards. (still waiting: any suiggestions on how I could have broken
> off their attack that night and/or taught them not to threaten or attack
> again?)

Greg
2005-10-03 08:56:33 EST
In article <Ig90f.324258$on1.33662@clgrps13>,
d*u@abc.com says...

> I am just replying to the troll (dogfighting), not you.
> I apologize. I thought it was a flame.
>
> But I still firmly believe you should shoot the humans instead of the dogs

Thank God, I thought someone was saying that the dogs had every right to
exist, regardless of their threat to humans. I agree that any creature,
including my fellow man has a right to survival AS LONG AS they aren't
an imminent threat to others.

I would rather not keep a loaded weapon in the house, let alone hurt
another creature, but I must make a plan to protect my family. I agree
that the "real" problem is the human owners who "just can't keep that
fence secure" (the owner said that to the animal control officer).
The police wouldn't tell me what they knew about these owners, except to
say that they are "thugs." They suggested that there was illegal
activity, so I would love for them to leave my neighborhood as well, but
for now, the dogs are the immediate threat to the safety of the people
here.

Luckily, I keep my 90 year old neighbor's phone number near the phone
and my daughter called him that night at 03:30 in the morning to tell
him to stay inside until the cops removed these dogs, because he always
wakes up and checks out any noises at night. Most of us watch out for
each other in this residential urban neighborhood, but the owners down
the street are NOT acting in a mutually protective fashion, especially
when the owner came over after the cops left to tell me that his dogs
were "harmless" and wouldn't have hurt anyone. Yea, well tell that to
the girl across the street with the torn pant leg. Tell that to me with
the torn storm door screen and broken latch from the dogs jumping
against my door.

We have a school bus stop visible from our house that our children, as
well as the neighbor's children stand waiting at. We, as well as other
neighbors watch this stop to ensure that the kids get on the bus safely.
Another neighbor told me that she watched those same dogs were harassing
the trash man one morning at about the time that the kids wait for their
school busses. I have to catch the trash collection man this week to
ask him of he filed a complaint.

Meanwhile, I cannot harm the owners, just ensure that I have a surefire
way to halt a 2 member Pit Bull team attack against someone or our pets.
I just don't want a loaded gun in the house because it would present
ANOTHER potential tragedy, especially if I missed the attacking dogs. I
suppose I would release my two Golden Retrievers if these Pits were
attacking a human, since they WOULD at least distract the dogs away from
the human, but why should I have to risk the health and life of MY pets?
For now, all I can do is continue to file complaints each time I see
these dogs roaming the neighborhood as well as ask people for any advise
on protective measures other than a shot gun. It's too bad that the
dogs can't be removed based on the owner's admission that he "just can't
keep that fence secure."

Dog Fighting
2005-10-03 10:12:03 EST
Russ, caught making an A$$ of himself again !!

Russ wrote:
> [...]
>>>do to protect ourselves?
>>>
>>>My neighbor's father said that he's buying a 12 gauge shot gun since
>>>these are lethal dogs that are not stopped by baseball bats. I've since
>>>talked to several police officers and 2 animal control officers that
>>>agree that a can of mace, a pellet gun, or baseball bat offer no real
>>>protection. I have three children and most homes on this street have
>>>children, so I need a quick way to halt any future dog attack, but I'd
>>>rather not have loaded weapon in the house - nor would I want to fire
>>>one in a heavily populated area. What about a machete or sword?
>>>
>>>Any ideas? Suggestions? By the way, one cop didn't say how he knew,
>>>but that I might want to understand that the dog owners were "thugs" and
>>>had criminal related activities going on. I fear that we are stuck with
>>>this threat to our safety until these dogs hurt or kill someone.

Kyler Laird
2005-10-03 12:17:02 EST
Greg <not@thisaddress.com> writes:

>It turns out that when the Pit Bulls
>followed my neighbor's car behind her house, she had her radio on and
>did not see or hear them until she put her first leg outside the vehicle
>and a dog grabbed and pulled her loose scrub pant leg.

That would be enough to raise my ire against a dog.

>The animal control officer said that these dogs were a mixed sex
>couple who were acting predatory, and they WOULD have tore apart either
>we humans or my dogs if they had managed to make it past me that night.
>He further explained that he could do no more than issue violations

Argh! *This* is why we have breed-specific legislation! What a mess.
Gotta wait until someone gets hurt or someone politician decides to
label an entire breed a problem; we can't just notice that these
individual dogs are exhibiting dangerous behaviors and do something
appropriate. Grr...

>talked to several police officers and 2 animal control officers that
>agree that a can of mace, a pellet gun, or baseball bat offer no real
>protection. I have three children and most homes on this street have
>children, so I need a quick way to halt any future dog attack, but I'd
>rather not have loaded weapon in the house - nor would I want to fire
>one in a heavily populated area. What about a machete or sword?

It sounds like you have to wait for the dogs to actually attack before
doing anything. I get anxious when people talk about using firearms
or even edged weapons against dogs who are attached to people. The
potential for (futher) injuring the person is significant.

My experience is that pit bulls will pass out after being choked for
awhile. Choking has an almost zero risk of injury to another person.

>Any ideas? Suggestions? By the way, one cop didn't say how he knew,
>but that I might want to understand that the dog owners were "thugs" and
>had criminal related activities going on. I fear that we are stuck with
>this threat to our safety until these dogs hurt or kill someone.

I encourage you to also consider the risk you take killing or maiming
a dog owned by a "thug."

--kyler

--kyler

Russ
2005-10-03 14:06:42 EST
you are the ass
and the reply was intended for you Mr. troll.
It surprises me that you spoke to someone................ err typed
I must be good.

> Russ, caught making an A$$ of himself again !!
>
> Russ wrote:
> > Too funny
> >
> > Especially the opinion part "and they WOULD have tore apart either

> > Was it a full moon out?
> >
> > Bwahahahahahaha
> >
> > Did you ever stop to think that if a 10 ton truck came crashing down a
hill,
> > that it was the drivers fault. Or do you shoot the truck with a shotgun?
> > Same thing here. Pieces of s#it that can't take care of themselves, let
> > alone 2 dogs.
> >
> > Get a life
> >
> > "Dog Fighting" <dogfighting@canada.com> wrote in message

Meanwhile,

Dana=A9_=3CAneeBear=40ownmail=2Ecom=3E?=
2005-10-03 19:18:43 EST
On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 12:56:33 GMT, Greg <not@thisaddress.com> wrote:

>Thank God, I thought someone was saying that the dogs had every right to
>exist, regardless of their threat to humans. I agree that any creature,
>including my fellow man has a right to survival AS LONG AS they aren't
>an imminent threat to others.

Then you suggest they should be killed....without a trial, a hearing,
right on the spot...no due process?

Hmm...

Dana