Dog Discussion: Mouthing Puppy

Mouthing Puppy

The Puppy Wizard
2003-09-26 20:48:46 EST
Mouthing Puppy
Date: 2003-08-16 18:06:51PST

"Lewis" <lewis@lewis.lewis> wrote in message
news:bhjiea$l2k$1@slb9.atl.mindspring.net...
> Hello all,
>
> I have a 13 week old GSD. He mouths me all the time. I can't
> even pet him without him trying to bite me. I know he will
> be teething soon and it will get worse. Is there anything I
> should be doing to discourage him from biting me, or will he
> grow out of it?
>
> Thanks,
> Lewis

Hello Mark & Lorie Feldman,

"Mark & Lori Feldman" <lori21@gte.net> wrote in message

> It would be a common occurrence in all breeds of dogs.
> Generally you can regard it as a dominance gesture.

Is that so? A thirteen week old puppy isn't going to be
dominating anyone with a friendly weapon. Dominance is a
fabrication of the human mind, not the dog's.

> The only real problem starts if the dog tries "dry humping"
> you.

Problem? You know what's the alternative to dry. I'd say dry
GOOD, wet BAD.

There's a couple different reasons for humping. Some dogs
masturbate as do horses and probably most every animal up to
and including self induced copulation.

Masturbation is an immature form of (shh!) [s-e-x,] as opposed
to the mature mating form of expression, which can provoke a
high degree of aggression when interrupted by an interloper.

Some behaviorists theorize dogs turn while mating to present a
two headed monster, to insure a successful copulation. Dogs
ejaculate intermittently for a few minutes every few minutes
while "tied" to cinch the deal and assure a large quantity of get.

> Do not let that go without a correction.

That's ABSURD, PUNATIVE, and PURITANICAL!

If the dog is only masturbating on you, I'd say that is
probably an overtly friendly gesture. Wouldn't you agree?

There's no teeth, the dog doesn't show any signs of aggression
or anxiety, is probably playful, nipping is sexual play in
adult and immature animals.

It's clear that this sort of nipping is not aggression,
there's no growling or bouncing around, nothing
but immature sexual play..., so WHACK HIM?

What's that going to likely do to his assault with a friendly
weapon? It might inspire him to make an unfriendly response, and
that gets dogs DEAD.

> Good luck and grab a few tissues to keep near by.

No. We ain't done yet. Humping can be moore than immature
masturbation or sexually driven breeding instinct, it can also
be a sign of ANXIETY as evidenced in our professor lying doc
"scruff shake" dermer's little muttsie masturbating on his couch
pillows, either as a direct result of our professor lying doc
"scruff shake" dermer's punishment of dog's behaviors and NOT the
dog, and/or alternatively, allelomimetic behavior.

Our efforts to control our dog's behaviors by crating and
correcting them stresses them. Dogs do not understand or
appreciate corrections, it violates everything we're supposed
to be trying to estalish to make our dogs NATURALLY WANT
to do everything we ask. If our self control and self discipline
is in proper order, the dog will follow suite, because THAT is
Natural Law.

Repressing normal, natural, instinctive, reflexive behaviors,
causes extreme anxiety which can result in hyperactivity,
compulsive barking, chewing, digging, pacing, whining,
shyness, aggression,intestinal and digestive disorders,
seizure activity and MASTURBATION as ANXIETY RELIEF MECHANISM.

HOWE do we distinguish between which kinds of "humping"
behaviors are the harmless, entertaining, immature self
exploration and sex play, or the mature, sexual, or anxiety
humping?

EZ. The ways dogs indulge in humping and chewing give us
and indication as to why the dog is chewing or humping or
diggin and lots of stuff.. "Dominance humping" is probably a
misconstrued sexual urge. Female dogs will occasionally do
that to show the male what she wants, another example of
allelomimethic behavior.

Most male dogs will never learn to hump as mature dogs if
they've never seen it done. The immature humping is equivalent
to jumping up on you or mouthing you, it is a BONDING
activity, therefore addressing such behaviors with punishment
goes to the core of MISTRUST and ALIENATION of AFFECTIONS.

Some humping can be preliminary to aggressive behavior, but
that's always a tense, non sexual, non playful move. Naturally
when they're teething they're going to need to chew, because
things are happening inside, kind of like immature masturbatory
humping Vs anxiety chewing or humping, when they seemingly obsess
on the activity with a vengeance.

If he's playing and you hurt him because you think he's
"dominant humping" on you or destructively chewing your
furniture, then you've just punished him for being affectionate
or behaving normally.

The dog won't have any understanding as to why you're
correcting him BECAUSE MOTHER NATURE DICTATES that behavior and
deems that APPROPRIATE.

If he's obsessed with the chewing or humping and you interrupt
him in a negative physical manner, you could easily become the
object of his desire or a competitor... remember the two headed
beast, dogs mean business when they're doin business, just as
obsessively chewing a bone or your chair leg is business, and
it's very likely to rile him if we confront or compete with him
over it.

There's better ways to cope with these minor issues using non
force distraction and praise techniques.

Instinct and reflex rule the dog, and our efforts to interrupt
those behaviors with any kind of negative interaction teaches
the dog to mistrust us and to do those behaviors behind our
back, because Nature told the dog it was O.K. to do those
behaviors.

Dogs don't do BAD behaviors, they do DOG behaviors.

Breaking behaviors like humping and chewing and countersurfing
and housebreaking and poo eating and barking and just about
anything else you can think of can be easily accomplished
using the non force, non confrontational, scientific and
psychological techniques taught in the FREE Wits' End Dog Training
Method manual.

> Mark

"I know that most men, including those at ease with
problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept
even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would
oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they
have delighted in explaining to colleagues, proudly
taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by
thread, into the fabric of their lives."
-Leo Tolstoy-

Is it any wonder that the following sig file has generated
more complaints to my personal email than any other
controversial post I have made to date, bar none?:

CAVEAT
If you have to do things to your dog to train him that you
would rather not have to do, then you shouldn't be doing
them. If you have a dog trainer who tells you to jerk your
dog around, choke him, pinch his ears, or twist his toes,
shock, shake, slap, scold, hit, chin cuff, scruff shake or
punish your dog in any manner, that corrections
are appropriate, that the dog won't think of you as the
punisher, or that corrections are not harmful, or if they
can't train your dog to do what you want, look for a
trainer that knows HOWE.

Thank you,
Jerry Howe,
Director of Research,
BIOSOUND Scientific
Director of Training,
Wits' End Dog Training
1611 24th St
Orlando, FL 32805
Phone: 1-407-425-5092
Phone: 1-888-BIOSOUND (1-888-246-7686)
Phone: 1-888-WITSEND (1-888-948-7363)
http://www.doggydoright.com

Nature, to be mastered, must be obeyed.
-Francis Bacon-

There are terrible people who, instead of solving a
problem, bungle it and make it more difficult for all who
come after. Who ever can't hit the nail on the head
should, please, not hit at all.
-Nietzsche-

The abilities to think, rationalize and solve problems are
learned qualities.

The Wits' End Dog Training Method challenges the learning
centers in the dogs brain. These centers, once challenged,
develop and continue to grow to make him smarter.

The Wits' End Dog Training method capitalizes on
praising split seconds of canine thought, strategy, and
timing, not mindless hours of forced repetition, constant
corrections, and scolding.
-Jerry Howe-

Keith H
2003-09-26 22:23:17 EST
I dont like to egg any of this on, but I cant stop laughing at
"behaviorists theorize dogs turn while mating to present a two headed
monster, to insure a successful copulation" that took some thought. O well
dont flame!

The Puppy Wizard
2003-09-26 22:49:32 EST
HOWEDY keith,

Haven't you ever "watched HOWET" when copulatin in pubic?

"Keith H" <hinchcliffe@charter.net> wrote in message
> I dont like to egg any of this on, but I cant stop laughing at
> "behaviorists theorize dogs turn while mating to present a two
headed
> monster, to insure a successful copulation" that took some
thought. O well
> dont flame!

Nero
2003-09-30 08:43:21 EST
What the hell is HOWE?
it's HOW not HOWE!!!!!

Nero
2003-09-30 08:46:58 EST
It's behavior,not behaviors.
Bad behavior?
Learn to spell before writing big words.

The Puppy Wizard
2003-09-30 12:20:59 EST
This is dogs, not SPELLin.

"Nero" <nero@rome.it> wrote in message
> It's behavior,not behaviors.
> Bad behavior?
> Learn to spell before writing big words.

Nero
2003-09-30 16:08:31 EST
RSOLE!

The Puppy Wizard
2003-10-01 14:01:39 EST
HOWEDY Nero,

.
> RSOLE!

The Puppy Wizard prides HISSELF on HIS SPELLin.

HOWEver, your SPELL "RSOLE!" doesn't seem to work!

The Puppy Wizard has tried it backwards and forewards with
NO SUCCESS!

Are you SHORE you got that SPELL correct?

Perhaps The Puppy Wizard is doin it wrong?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

The Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >

Can you tell the TRUTH from a LIE?:

> > > Jerome Bigge writes:
> > > I do know that hitting, hurting
> > > your dog will often make the
> > > dog either aggressive or a fear
> > > biter, neither of which we want to do.

And then we got, matty! Follow his discussion!
This is what's called, a liar and dog abuser:

> > And neither does anyone else,
> > Jerome. No matter
> > what Jerry Howe states.

"Just Want To Second Jerry's Method For
Dealing With This I've Suggested It To Quite
A Few Clients Now And It's Worked 'EVERY
TIME The Very First Time' - marilyn, Trainer,
33 Years Experience.

You DO remember KILLFILING MARILYN for her coment above
regarding her success with The Puppy Wizard's Surrogate Toy
Separation Anxiety / Bed Time Calming Technique (STSA/BTCT)?

Perhaps you likeWIZE recall a pediatrician, Dr. Z, who commented
that his bed time calming technique was quite similar?

> > You're scary Marilyn.

> > Marilyn must be quite a disturbed
> > individual. I feel very sorry for her
> > and her family.

"His Amazing Progress Almost Makes Me Cry.
Your Method Takes Positive Training To The
Next Level And Should Really Be Used By All
Trainers Who Call Themselves Trainers. Thank
You For Helping Me Save His Life," Kay Pierce,
Professional Trainer, 30 Years Experience.

> > BUT, giving you the benefit of the
> > doubt, please provide a quote (an
> > original quote, not from one of Jerry
> > Howe's heavily edited diatribes) that
> > shows a regular poster promoting or
> > using an abusive form of training.

BWWWWEAAAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

> > --Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

"Many People Have Problems Getting The Pinch
Right, Either They Do Not Pinch Enough, Or They
Have A Very Stoic Dog. Some Dogs Will Collapse
Into A Heap. About The Ear Pinch: You Must Keep
The Pressure Up," sindy "don't let the dog SCREAM"
mooreon, author of HOWER FAQ's pages on k9 web.

You think HURTING a HUNTING DOG to
MAKE IT HUNT is NECESSARY???

"Well, Jack Did Hit My Dog. Actually I'd Call It
A Sharp Tap Of The Crook To The Nose. I Know
Jack Wouldn't HaveDone It If He Thought Solo
Couldn't Take It. I Still Crate Him Because
Otherwise I Fear He Might Eat My Cat," melanie.

You think allowing a "FEAR AGGRESSIVE MAN
SHY" dog to be BEATEN by a strange male trainer
is INTELLIGENT BEHAVIOR for a DOG LOVER?

"Warning: Sometimes The Corrections Will Seem
Quite Harsh And Cause You To Cringe. This Is A
Normal Reaction The First Few Times It Happens,
But You'll Get Over It."mike duforth, author:
"Courteous Canine."

You think HURTIN dogs and CRINGING
is COURTEOUS?

"I have heard advice stating that you should pre-load
your dog for Bitter Apple for it to work as efficiently
as possible. What does this mean?"

Means the author is a dog abuser of the worst magnitude.

"When you bring home the Bitter Apple for the first time, spray
one squirt
directly into the dog's mouth and walk away. The dog won't be too
thrilled
with this but just ignore him and continue your normal behavior."

You think HURTING your dog is NORMAL BEHAVIOR?

--Mike Dufort
author of the zero selling book
"Courteous Canines"

You think HOWER pal mikey is playin with a full deck?

Yeah. When I preload my dog's mouth with bitter apple,
suppose I don't get used to being stupid and cruel, mikey?

Then HOWE do I train my dog if I can't HURT it?

"I Dropped The Leash, Threw My Right Arm Over The Lab's Shoulder,
Grabbed
Her Opposite Foot With My Left Hand, Rolled Her On Her Side,
Leaned On Her,
Smartly Growled Into Her Throat And Said "GRRRR!" And Neatly
Nipped Her
Ear," sionnach.

Oh, THANKS, sinofabitch...

And from terri willis, Psychoclown wrote:
"Nope. That "beating dogs with sticks" things is
something you twisted out of context,
because you are full of bizarro manure."

"Get A 30"- 40" Stick.You can have a
helper wield the stick, or do it yourself.
Tougher, less tractable dogs may require
you to progress to striking them more
sharply," lying frosty dahl, ethical breeder,
expert trainer.

You think a EXXXPERT trainer got to BEAT
a HUNTIN dog to MAKE IT HUNT?

"Pudge Was So Soft That She Could And
Would Avoid A Simple Swat On The Rump
With A Riding Crop," lying frosty dahl,
discoverer of CANNIBALISM in Labradors.

Perhaps the mom dog didn't want her babies HURT all
their lives like HOWE HOWER dog lovers PREFER to
HURT THEIR DOGS?

"John ran out, grabbed Blackie by the collar, and
gave the dog two or three medium whacks on the
rump with a training stick while holding him partially
off the ground. John then told Blackie to sit, ran back
to the line and cast him back to the dummies."

The Puppy Wizard sez a mom dog eatin her babies
to SAVE THEM from a fate like that, is COMMENDABLE.

We're gonna teach folks THAT AIN'T NORMAL...

terri willis, Psychoclown wrote:
"Nope. That "beating dogs with sticks"
things is something you twisted out of
context, because you are full of bizarro
manure."

Sez on our FAQ'S pages at K9 Web you should knee the dog in the
chest, step
on its toes, throw him down by his ears and climb all over it like
a raped
ape growling into his throat and bite IT on his ears, or leash pop
it on a
pronged spiked pinch choke collar or pop him in the snout with the
heel of
your palm.

:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:

"Rocky" <2dogs@rocky-dog.com> wrote in message

> Linda wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

> > When you compare using sound and
> > praise to solve a problem with using
> > shock collars, hanging, and punishment
> > how can you criticize the use of sound?

> There's nothing more to be said, then.
> You've made up your mind.

> But you've impressed me by mentioning
> that you're a professor with 30 years of
> experience.

> So, can you cite some examples of
> people recommending "shock collars,
> hanging, and punishment"?

BWWWAWHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

> --
> --Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

You think matty's playin with a full
goddamned deck?

matty's NOT a liar and dog abuser.

Isn't that true, Marilyn?

Of course not, but THIS IS:

"Chin CHUCK absolutely doesn't mean slap,"
professora gingold.

"Marshall Dermer" <dermer@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu> wrote in message

> >Di,

> I don't believe you mentioned a particular
> kind of training. If you are interested in
> training retrieval behavior than do
> consider our own Amy Dahl's:

> The 10-Minute Retriever : How to Make a
> Well-Mannered, Obedient and
> Enthusiastic Gun Dog in 10 Minutes a
> Day by John I. Dahl, Amy Dahl

You failed to mention your pals the dahls are
proven liars and dog abusers, professor "SCRUFF SHAKE:"

"I Would Never Advise Anyone To Slap A
Dog I Do Not Believe There Is A Single
Circumstance Ever, Where Slapping A
Dog Is Anything But Destructive,"

LUCKY thing CHIN CHUCK absolutely don't
mean slap the goddamned dog, we'd look like
a conspiracy of LIARS and DOG abusers if
CHIN CHUCK DID mean SLAP the dog.

"I don't see why anyone would want to choke or
beat a dog, or how any trainer could possibly get
a good working dog by making them unhapper,
fearful, cowering, etc." sez amy lying frosty dahl.

DOES THAT SOUND LIKE THE TRUTH?

> just $17.95 at Amazon.com.

> (Also, it is best to killfile posts from the
> few regulars here who are either ill-
> tempered, ill-mannered, or just plain ill.)
> --Marshall

Or HOWE about HOWER just plain CRUEL
STUPID and ABUSIVE DOG ABUSERS,
professor SCRUFF SHAKE?

amy lying frosty dahl continues:

"On the other extreme, the really hard dogs
we have trained require much more
frequent and heavy application of pressure
(PAIN j.h.) to get the job done,

This is continued resistance to your
increasing authority, and the job is
not done until it is overcome

Get A 30"- 40" Stick.You can have a helper
wield the stick, or do it yourself. Tougher,
less tractable dogs may require you to
progress to striking them more sharply"

BUT NOBODY DOES THAT HERE...

"Try pinching the ear between the metal
casing and the collar, even the buckle on
the collar. Persist! Eventually, the dog will
give in but will squeal, thrash around, and
direct their efforts to escaping the ear pinch"

OR ATTACKING HIS ABUSER.

"You can press the dog's ear with a
shotshell instead of your thumb even
get a studded collar and pinch the ear
against that Make the dog's need to stop
the pinching so urgent that resisting your
will fades in importance.

CHUCK IT Under ITS Chin With That Ever
Ready Right Hand, As it catches on, try
using the stick and no ear pinch.

When the dog is digging out to beat the
stick and seems totally reliable without
any ear pinch, you are finished

This is continued resistance to your
increasing authority, and the job is
not done until it is overcome"

If the dog drops it, chuck it solidly
under the chin, say "No! Hold!"

(stay on the ear until it does) (perhaps
because the ear is getting tender, or the
dog has decided it isn't worth it)" lying
frosty dahl.

"Chin cuff absolutely does not mean slap,"
professora gingold.

From: Marshall Dermer (dermer@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu)
In article <38CC0C43.94E2DDD1@earthlink.net>
r*z@earthlink.net writes:

>> -snip headers etc.

>> Yes. you're right, I really should find
>> the book.. they don't have these books
>> in the local pet stores I frequent, where
>> do you find Koehler?

> I got a nice large print copy from
> Amazon.com

>Richard

Please try Powell's Books in Portland
Oregon. Their URL is:

http://www.powells.com/

Unlike Amazon.com, Powell's keeps both
new and used books on its shelves. You
can order books via e-email.

Koehler Method Of Dog
Training
by Koehler, W R
Published by HOWELL BOOK
HOUSE (0876056575,

Here's some quotes and some methods right
outta your koehler book professor "SCRUFF SHAKE and scream "NO!"
into its
face for 5
seconds:"

"The Koehler Method of Dog Training (1962). New York:
Howell Book Book House(p. 52-53)."

Hanging

"First, the trainer makes certain that the collar
and leash are more than adequate for any jerk
or strain that the dog's most frantic actions could cause. Then
he starts
to work the dog deliberately and fairly to the point where the dog
makes his
grab.

Before the teeth have reached their target,
the dog, weight permitting, is jerked from
the ground.

As in coping with some of the afore-mentioned problems the dog is
suspended
in mid-air.

However, to let the biting dog recover
his footing while he still had the strength
to renew the attack would be cruelty.

The only justifiable course is to hold him
suspended until he has neither the strength
nor inclination to renew the fight.

When finally it is obvious that he is
physically incapable of expressing his
resentment and is lowered to the ground,
he will probably stagger loop-legged for a
few steps, vomit once or twice, and roll
over on his side.

The sight of a dog lying, thick-tongued,
on his side, is not pleasant, but do not
let it alarm you

THE REAL "HOOD"

"If your dog is a real "hood" who would
regard the foregoing types of protest as
"kid stuff" and would express his
resentment of your efforts by biting,
your problem is difficult -- and pressing.

"Professional trainers often get these
extreme problems. Nearly always the
"protest biter" is the handiwork of a
person who, by avoiding situations that
the dog might resent, has nurtured the
seeds of rebellion and then cultivated
the resultant growth with under correction.

When these people reap their inevitable
and oftentimes painful harvest, they are
ready to avail themselves of "the cruel
trainer" whose advice they may have
once rejected because it was incompatible
with the sugary droolings of mealy-
mouthed columnists, breed-ring biddies,
and dog psychologists who, by the
broken skins and broken hearts their
misinformation causes, can be proven guilty
of the greatest act of cruelty to animals
since the dawn of time.

"With more genuine compassion for the
biting dog than would ever be demonstrated
by those who are "too kind" to make a
correction and certainly with more disregard
for his safety, the professional trainer
morally feels obligated to perform a "major
operation."

"Since we are presently concerned with
the dog that bites in resentment of the
demands of training, we will set our
example in that situation. (In a later
chapter we will deal with the with the
much easier problem of the dog that
bites someone other than his master."

Are we havin FUN yet?

Got a lite, professor SCRUFF SHAKE?

The Puppy Wizard. <} : ~ ) >

Alex Gonta
2003-10-12 11:55:47 EST
Hello:

The mouthing is not to be confused with biting.
Your dog being a GSD puppy is from a working
breed of dog, which tend to be more mouthy.

Your dog needs to understand that your hands are
not an appropriate "prey item" for him to chew on.
The dog needs an outlet from some of his prey drive.
Thus, find a toy or a tug or some other item and direct
the dog's mouthiness to that item, instead of your hands
or pants leg. Teach the dog that he gets encouragement
when mouthing an appropriate prey item, but your hands
he'll get a firm "NO" on. Try shouting his snout gently while saying "No".
If he tries to bite back, he thinks you're one his puppy littermates, which
play with each other via playful nipping.

Basically, judge the dog and use enough "force" to discourage him, without
hurting the puppy. He's only
13 weeks so don't be too rough. At the same time,
understand that you need to give him an outlet for his prey drive and find
an item that is appropriate for this. Try a ball on a long string, that
works well, as he can chase it and tug at it and you can play with him.

Hope I've helped.

Alex

"The Puppy Wizard" <ThePuppyWizard@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> Phone: 1-888-BIOSOUND (1-888-246-7686)
> Phone: 1-888-WITSEND (1-888-948-7363)
> http://www.doggydoright.com
>
> Nature, to be mastered, must be obeyed.
> -Francis Bacon-
>
> There are terrible people who, instead of solving a
> problem, bungle it and make it more difficult for all who
> come after. Who ever can't hit the nail on the head
> should, please, not hit at all.
> -Nietzsche-
>
> The abilities to think, rationalize and solve problems are
> learned qualities.
>
> The Wits' End Dog Training Method challenges the learning
> centers in the dogs brain. These centers, once challenged,
> develop and continue to grow to make him smarter.
>
> The Wits' End Dog Training method capitalizes on
> praising split seconds of canine thought, strategy, and
> timing, not mindless hours of forced repetition, constant

Alex Gonta
2003-10-12 12:02:14 EST
Hello:
Your puppy is simply looking for a prey item to play with,
and there's a difference between "biting" of an adult dog,
which is a bad temperment situation, and the "mouthiness" of a puppy.
Please read this article and it will help you know what to do:
http://www.leerburg.com/qabiting.htm

The pup needs an outlet for what is called "prey drive", the desire to chase
a moving "prey item".

You have a German Shepard Pup, a working breed of dog, where this is more
pronounced, in working breeds. Your puppy will grow out of this. I know it's
unpleasant for now, with those sharp little teeth, but follow the advise of
the URL above and you'll be in good shape.