Dog Discussion: OT: Katrina Volunteer ~ Another Viewpoint

OT: Katrina Volunteer ~ Another Viewpoint

Page:  Previous  1 2 3   (First | Last)

N*@aol.com
2005-09-19 14:01:22 EST
Are you a fraud? The below article was posted at
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=22714973&blogID=45938031&Mytoken=200Maher

apparently written by the blogger, MAHER DAOUDI on Sept. 4th. Or did he take it
from you?

Ora

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:52:22 -0500, alpha© <alpha©@dog-forums.net> wrote:

> [...]
>for a while. Then I realized something ~ there were hundreds of able
>bodied young men who could help!
>

>I asked a group of young evacuees in their teens and early twenties to
>help. I got cursed at for asking them to help! One said, "We just lost
>our ****ing homes and you want us to work!" The next said "Ya,
>Cracker, you got a home ~ we don't" I looked at them in disbelief.
>Here are women walking by carrying THEIR BEDS and they can't lift a
>finger and help themselves!
>

>WHY SHOULD I HELP PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO HELP THEMSELVES!
>

>I waved them off and turned away and was laughed at and more "white
>boy jokes" were made at me. I felt no need to waste my breath on a
>bunch of pitiful losers.
>

>I went to a nearby restroom where I noticed a man shaving. I used the
>restroom, washed my hands and saw this man throw his razor towards the
>trash can ~ he missed. He walked out leaving his disgusting razor on
>the floor for some other "cracker" to pick up.
>

>Even the little kids were demanding. I saw only ONE white family and
>only TWO Hispanic families. The rest where blacks. Sorry ~ 20% to 30
>percent decent blacks and 70 percent LOSERS!
>

>I would call them ******S, but the actual definition of a ****** is
>one who is ignorant, and these people were not ignorant ~ they were
>ARROGANT. The majority are thugs and lifetime lazy welfare recipients.
>

>We are inviting the lowest of the low to Houston. And, like idiots, we
>are serving the people who will soon steal our cars, rape, murder and
>destroy our city while stealing from our pockets on a daily basis
>through the welfare checks they take. We will fund our own
>destruction.
>

>By "US," I don't mean a specific race ~ I mean the people who work
>hard, work smart, and have values and morals. Only people who want to
>help themselves should be helped ~ the others should be allowed to
>destroy themselves. I do not want to work hard and give the government
>close to half the money I earn so they can, in turn, give it to a
>bunch of losers.
>

>I don't believe in being poor for life. My family immigrated here. We
>came here poor, and now ~ thank God ~ and due to HARD WORK, we are
>doing fine. If immigrants who come here not knowing the language can
>work and become successful, WHY CAN'T THE MAJORITY OF THE HOMEGROWN DO
>IT!
>

>If we continue to reward these losers, we will soon destroy our great
>country. I just witnessed selfish, arrogant, unappreciative behavior
>by the very people who need help the most. Now these same people who
>cursed me, refused my city’s generosity and who refuse to help
>themselves are DEMANDING handouts on their own terms! They prance
>around as if they are owed something, and when they do receive a
>handout, they say it's not good enough!
>

>Well you know what ~theses types of people can go to hell for all I

Iehsmith
2005-09-19 15:07:10 EST
Well, I hope this thread dies a fast death.

I don't know if alpha intended to consciously or subconsciously imply racial
slurs.

I realize alpha had a bad experience in the midst of the worst
circumstances.

I'm sure many of our evacuees may not have reacted appropriately, and that
some were probably just plain wrong. I excuse that which is caused by
extraordinary circumstances, but realize a bad or criminal element has
probably been rescued along with our regular citizens.

alpha, you may never know if through all this some 'bad cator' saw and felt
the kindness of others and was gradually strengthened and changed positively
by all this. You may have changed the course of someone's life through your
caring.

I also realize the latter, rescued evacuees are among the most vulnerable,
feel more vulnerable than ever in their lives (and that's saying a lot); and
that many poor people have learned that showing vulnerability can have
terrible consequences, so they may act the way they believe people expect
them to act. Some may choose to act like loud, obnoxious gangsters because
they believe that is what the world thinks and expects; and it masks their
vulnerability very well.

Some are assholes. They come in every color of the rainbow and every class.

So I ask that we please put this to bed. Try to see the best in people,
including alpha for volunteering in the first place. Let's just hope that
all of us come out of this a little better, a little more tolerant and
stronger than we were before. It's too early to make judgements of any kind;
and who are we to judge anyway?

I'm done now;)
inez

Annette
2005-09-19 15:27:38 EST
LOL. Well, technically alpha didn't *LIE*. He didn't actually sign that
first post. (Nor did he give credit to the original blogger, and he
certainly never stepped in to correct the misunderstanding when it became
patently clear that the entire group believed he had been present at the
Brown Convention Center. Obviously a big fan of P.T. Barnum, because
judging from the rest of us, there IS a sucker born every minute.)

He did a Bill Clinton, Ora. In fact, he *outdid* Bill Clinton. By about a
mile. <G>

Live and learn. Life's a hoot.

Annette :)

PS. Good research. Shoulda known to do that websearch myself for that
wording.

<*m@aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>bunch of losers.
>>

>>I don't believe in being poor for life. My family immigrated here. We
>>came here poor, and now ~ thank God ~ and due to HARD WORK, we are
>>doing fine. If immigrants who come here not knowing the language can
>>work and become successful, WHY CAN'T THE MAJORITY OF THE HOMEGROWN DO
>>IT!
>>

>>If we continue to reward these losers, we will soon destroy our great
>>country. I just witnessed selfish, arrogant, unappreciative behavior
>>by the very people who need help the most. Now these same people who
>>cursed me, refused my city's generosity and who refuse to help
>>themselves are DEMANDING handouts on their own terms! They prance
>>around as if they are owed something, and when they do receive a
>>handout, they say it's not good enough!
>>

>>Well you know what ~theses types of people can go to hell for all I

Annette
2005-09-19 15:37:18 EST
http://www.snopes.com/katrina/personal/volunteer.asp

Addresses the history of this particular "SO I VOLUNTEERED" essay. Makes
one appreciate that there are many more good, appreciative folks (seemingly
most of the evacuees were appreciative and civilized, and seemingly most of
the volunteers returned from their experience with a full heart [warm
fuzzies?]) and just a few jerks. (Maybe just the author of the essay <g>)
Though I suppose there were jerks among the evacuees as well. Some were
probably jerks BEFORE Katrina, and some probably were dealing with the
experience badly.

Enjoy.

Annette :)

"alpha\ufffd" <alpha\ufffd@dog-forums.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> bunch of losers.
>

> I don't believe in being poor for life. My family immigrated here. We
> came here poor, and now ~ thank God ~ and due to HARD WORK, we are
> doing fine. If immigrants who come here not knowing the language can
> work and become successful, WHY CAN'T THE MAJORITY OF THE HOMEGROWN DO
> IT!
>

> If we continue to reward these losers, we will soon destroy our great
> country. I just witnessed selfish, arrogant, unappreciative behavior
> by the very people who need help the most. Now these same people who
> cursed me, refused my city's generosity and who refuse to help
> themselves are DEMANDING handouts on their own terms! They prance
> around as if they are owed something, and when they do receive a
> handout, they say it's not good enough!
>

> Well you know what ~theses types of people can go to hell for all I

N*@aol.com
2005-09-19 17:21:11 EST
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:37:18 -0700, "Annette" <annettemarc@comcast.net> wrote:

>http://www.snopes.com/katrina/personal/volunteer.asp
>
>Addresses the history of this particular "SO I VOLUNTEERED" essay. Makes
>one appreciate that there are many more good, appreciative folks (seemingly
>most of the evacuees were appreciative and civilized, and seemingly most of
>the volunteers returned from their experience with a full heart [warm
>fuzzies?]) and just a few jerks. (Maybe just the author of the essay <g>)

Also you will note when reading the Snopes article that a doctor in Mississippi
received an email with the essay and sent it on with his own name and address
at the bottom. I received that one and decided to check it out.

Ora

Annette
2005-09-19 19:03:21 EST
Yeah, makes you sort of wary of using electronic 'signatures' anymore.

I was rereading that original article on the blog ... and found it odd [as
in 'not credible'] that a bunch of rude teenagers would use a phrase like "I
just lost my f***king house" but then would use the term "cracker", instead
of the term-of-choice of just about every teenager I've ever met in the last
ten years, the one starting with 'mother'.

I haven't heard the word 'cracker' since, oh, maybe 1968. Whitey, yes.
Honky, yes. But *cracker*? Sounds like something off the old TV series
"Mod Squad" or something with the hollywoodesque 'pimp' wearing the
feathered hat and full-length mink coat.

("Cracker?" REALLY? Teenage boys in the year 2005 are repressed enough to
use "Cracker"???)

On what planet?

Annette :)

<*m@aol.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:37:18 -0700, "Annette" <annettemarc@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>http://www.snopes.com/katrina/personal/volunteer.asp
>>
>>Addresses the history of this particular "SO I VOLUNTEERED" essay. Makes
>>one appreciate that there are many more good, appreciative folks
>>(seemingly
>>most of the evacuees were appreciative and civilized, and seemingly most
>>of
>>the volunteers returned from their experience with a full heart [warm
>>fuzzies?]) and just a few jerks. (Maybe just the author of the essay <g>)
>
> Also you will note when reading the Snopes article that a doctor in
> Mississippi
> received an email with the essay and sent it on with his own name and
> address
> at the bottom. I received that one and decided to check it out.
>
> Ora

A*@HushMail.Com
2005-09-24 00:03:31 EST
HOWEDY annette,

The article shows alpha's UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.

And the term "CRACKER" is in vogue...

Adios, CRACKER.