Dog Discussion: OT: Katrina Volunteer ~ Another Viewpoint

OT: Katrina Volunteer ~ Another Viewpoint
Posts: 27

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1 2 3   Next  (First | Last)

Alpha©
2005-09-16 17:52:22 EST
SO I VOLUNTEERED..........



I thought I might inform the few friends I have on my recent traumatic
experience. I am going to tell it straight, blunt, raw, and I don't
give a damn. Long read, I know but please do read!



I went to volunteer on Saturday at the George R. Brown convention
center for two reasons.

I wanted to help people to get a warm fuzzy and Curiosity.

I've been watching the news lately and have seen scenes that have made
me want to vomit. And, no, it wasn't dead bodies, the city under
water, or the sludge everywhere. It was PEOPLE’S BEHAVIOR. The people
on TV (99 percent being Black) were DEMANDING help. They were not
asking nicely, but demanding as if society owed them something. Well,
the honest truth is WE DON'T.



Help should be asked for in a kind manner and then appreciated. This
is not what the press (FOX in particular) was showing. What I was
seeing was a group of people yelling, demanding, looting, killing,
raping, and SHOOTING back at the demanded help! So, I'm thinking this
can't possibly be true, can it? So I decide to submit to the DEMAND
for help out of SHOCK. I couldn't believe this to be true of the
majority of the people who are the weakest of society. So I went to
volunteer and help folks out and see the truth. So I will tell the
following story and you decide.



I arrived at the astrodome only to find out that there are too many
volunteers and more volunteers were needed at the George R. Brown
Convention Center. As I was walking up to the Convention Center I
noticed a line of cars that wrapped around blocks filled with
donations. These were ordinary Houstonians coming with truckloads and
trunks full of water, diapers, clothes, blankets, food ~ all types of
good stuff. And lots of it was NEW. I felt that warm fuzzy while
helping unload these vehicles of these wonderful human beings. I then
went inside the building and noticed approximately 100,000 sq. ft. of
clothes, shoes, jackets, toys and all types of goodies, all organized
and ready for the people in need. I signed up, received a name badge
and was on my merry way, excited to be useful.



I toured the place to get familiar with my surroundings. The entire
place is probably around 2 million sq. ft. I noticed rows as far as
the eye could see of mattresses ~ not cots ~ BLOW UP MATTRESSES! All
of which had nice pillows and plenty of blankets. Two to three bottles
of water lay on every bed. These full-size to queen-size beds, by the
way, were comfortable ~ I laid on one to see for myself.



I went to look at the medical area. I couldn't believe what my eyes
were seeing! A makeshift hospital created in 24 hours! It was
unbelievable ~ they even had a pharmacy. I also noticed that showers
had been created which would also have hot water. I went upstairs to
the third floor to find a HUGE cafeteria created in under 24 hours!
Rows of tables, chairs and food everywhere ~ enough to feed an army!
I'm not talking about crappy food either. They had Jason's Deli food,
apples, oranges, cokes, diet cokes, lemonade, orange juice, cookies
and all types of chips and sandwiches. All the beverages, by the way,
were put on ice and chilled! In a matter of about 24 hours or less, an
entire mini-city was created by volunteers for the poor evacuees. This
was not your rundown shelter ~ it was BUM HEAVEN.



So that was the layout ~ great food, comfy beds, clean showers and
free medical help. By the way, there was a library and a theatre room
I forgot to mention. Great stuff, right?



Well here is what happened on my journey.



I started by handing out COLD water bottles to evacuees as they got
off the bus. Many would take them and only 20 percent or less said
“Thank you.” Lots of them would shake their heads and ask for sodas!
So this went on for about 20 to 30 minutes until I was sick of being
an unappreciated servant. I figured certainly these folks would
appreciate some food! So I went upstairs to serve these beloved
evacuees some GOOD food that I wish I could have at the moment!



The following statements are graphic, truthful, and discuss UNRATIONAL
behavior. Evacuees come slowly to receive this mountain of food that
is worth serving to a king! I tell them that we have two types of
great deli sandwiches to choose from ~ ham and turkey. Many look at
the food in disgust and DEMAND burgers, pizza, and even McDonalds!
Jason's deli is better than McDonalds! Only one out of ten people who
took something would say "Thank you." The rest took items as if it
was their God-given right to be served without a shred of
appreciation! They would ask for beer and liquor.



They complained that we didn't have good enough food. They refused
food and laughed at us. They treated the volunteers as if they where
SLAVES. No, not all of them of course ~ but 70% percent did! Twenty
percent where appreciative, 10 percent took the food without any
comment and the other 70 percent had some disgusting comment to make.
Some had the nerve to laugh at us. And when I snapped back at them for
being mean, they would curse at me! Needless to say, I was in utter
shock.



They would eat their food and leave their mess on the table ~ some
would pick up their stuff, but many would leave it for the volunteers
to pick up. I left that real quick to go down and help set up some
more beds. I saw many young ladies carrying mattresses and I helped
for a while. Then I realized something ~ there were hundreds of able
bodied young men who could help!



I asked a group of young evacuees in their teens and early twenties to
help. I got cursed at for asking them to help! One said, "We just lost
our ****ing homes and you want us to work!" The next said "Ya,
Cracker, you got a home ~ we don't" I looked at them in disbelief.
Here are women walking by carrying THEIR BEDS and they can't lift a
finger and help themselves!



WHY SHOULD I HELP PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO HELP THEMSELVES!



I waved them off and turned away and was laughed at and more "white
boy jokes" were made at me. I felt no need to waste my breath on a
bunch of pitiful losers.



I went to a nearby restroom where I noticed a man shaving. I used the
restroom, washed my hands and saw this man throw his razor towards the
trash can ~ he missed. He walked out leaving his disgusting razor on
the floor for some other "cracker" to pick up.



Even the little kids were demanding. I saw only ONE white family and
only TWO Hispanic families. The rest where blacks. Sorry ~ 20% to 30
percent decent blacks and 70 percent LOSERS!



I would call them ******S, but the actual definition of a ****** is
one who is ignorant, and these people were not ignorant ~ they were
ARROGANT. The majority are thugs and lifetime lazy welfare recipients.



We are inviting the lowest of the low to Houston. And, like idiots, we
are serving the people who will soon steal our cars, rape, murder and
destroy our city while stealing from our pockets on a daily basis
through the welfare checks they take. We will fund our own
destruction.



By "US," I don't mean a specific race ~ I mean the people who work
hard, work smart, and have values and morals. Only people who want to
help themselves should be helped ~ the others should be allowed to
destroy themselves. I do not want to work hard and give the government
close to half the money I earn so they can, in turn, give it to a
bunch of losers.



I don't believe in being poor for life. My family immigrated here. We
came here poor, and now ~ thank God ~ and due to HARD WORK, we are
doing fine. If immigrants who come here not knowing the language can
work and become successful, WHY CAN'T THE MAJORITY OF THE HOMEGROWN DO
IT!



If we continue to reward these losers, we will soon destroy our great
country. I just witnessed selfish, arrogant, unappreciative behavior
by the very people who need help the most. Now these same people who
cursed me, refused my city’s generosity and who refuse to help
themselves are DEMANDING handouts on their own terms! They prance
around as if they are owed something, and when they do receive a
handout, they say it's not good enough!



Well you know what ~theses types of people can go to hell for all I
care!

--
Visit our forums!
http://dog-forums.net

Email: Remove the ©

Angie
2005-09-17 06:05:30 EST
And to think I made a very large donation.......................


"alpha\ufffd" <alpha\ufffd@dog-forums.net> wrote in message
news:o2fmi11cquf0m0jqcbgqrho17tea86rger@4ax.com...
> SO I VOLUNTEERED..........
>
>
>
> I thought I might inform the few friends I have on my recent traumatic
> experience. I am going to tell it straight, blunt, raw, and I don't
> give a damn. Long read, I know but please do read!
>
>
>
> I went to volunteer on Saturday at the George R. Brown convention
> center for two reasons.
>
> I wanted to help people to get a warm fuzzy and Curiosity.
>
> I've been watching the news lately and have seen scenes that have made
> me want to vomit. And, no, it wasn't dead bodies, the city under
> water, or the sludge everywhere. It was PEOPLE'S BEHAVIOR. The people
> on TV (99 percent being Black) were DEMANDING help. They were not
> asking nicely, but demanding as if society owed them something. Well,
> the honest truth is WE DON'T.
>
>
>
> Help should be asked for in a kind manner and then appreciated. This
> is not what the press (FOX in particular) was showing. What I was
> seeing was a group of people yelling, demanding, looting, killing,
> raping, and SHOOTING back at the demanded help! So, I'm thinking this
> can't possibly be true, can it? So I decide to submit to the DEMAND
> for help out of SHOCK. I couldn't believe this to be true of the
> majority of the people who are the weakest of society. So I went to
> volunteer and help folks out and see the truth. So I will tell the
> following story and you decide.
>
>
>
> I arrived at the astrodome only to find out that there are too many
> volunteers and more volunteers were needed at the George R. Brown
> Convention Center. As I was walking up to the Convention Center I
> noticed a line of cars that wrapped around blocks filled with
> donations. These were ordinary Houstonians coming with truckloads and
> trunks full of water, diapers, clothes, blankets, food ~ all types of
> good stuff. And lots of it was NEW. I felt that warm fuzzy while
> helping unload these vehicles of these wonderful human beings. I then
> went inside the building and noticed approximately 100,000 sq. ft. of
> clothes, shoes, jackets, toys and all types of goodies, all organized
> and ready for the people in need. I signed up, received a name badge
> and was on my merry way, excited to be useful.
>
>
>
> I toured the place to get familiar with my surroundings. The entire
> place is probably around 2 million sq. ft. I noticed rows as far as
> the eye could see of mattresses ~ not cots ~ BLOW UP MATTRESSES! All
> of which had nice pillows and plenty of blankets. Two to three bottles
> of water lay on every bed. These full-size to queen-size beds, by the
> way, were comfortable ~ I laid on one to see for myself.
>
>
>
> I went to look at the medical area. I couldn't believe what my eyes
> were seeing! A makeshift hospital created in 24 hours! It was
> unbelievable ~ they even had a pharmacy. I also noticed that showers
> had been created which would also have hot water. I went upstairs to
> the third floor to find a HUGE cafeteria created in under 24 hours!
> Rows of tables, chairs and food everywhere ~ enough to feed an army!
> I'm not talking about crappy food either. They had Jason's Deli food,
> apples, oranges, cokes, diet cokes, lemonade, orange juice, cookies
> and all types of chips and sandwiches. All the beverages, by the way,
> were put on ice and chilled! In a matter of about 24 hours or less, an
> entire mini-city was created by volunteers for the poor evacuees. This
> was not your rundown shelter ~ it was BUM HEAVEN.
>
>
>
> So that was the layout ~ great food, comfy beds, clean showers and
> free medical help. By the way, there was a library and a theatre room
> I forgot to mention. Great stuff, right?
>
>
>
> Well here is what happened on my journey.
>
>
>
> I started by handing out COLD water bottles to evacuees as they got
> off the bus. Many would take them and only 20 percent or less said
> "Thank you." Lots of them would shake their heads and ask for sodas!
> So this went on for about 20 to 30 minutes until I was sick of being
> an unappreciated servant. I figured certainly these folks would
> appreciate some food! So I went upstairs to serve these beloved
> evacuees some GOOD food that I wish I could have at the moment!
>
>
>
> The following statements are graphic, truthful, and discuss UNRATIONAL
> behavior. Evacuees come slowly to receive this mountain of food that
> is worth serving to a king! I tell them that we have two types of
> great deli sandwiches to choose from ~ ham and turkey. Many look at
> the food in disgust and DEMAND burgers, pizza, and even McDonalds!
> Jason's deli is better than McDonalds! Only one out of ten people who
> took something would say "Thank you." The rest took items as if it
> was their God-given right to be served without a shred of
> appreciation! They would ask for beer and liquor.
>
>
>
> They complained that we didn't have good enough food. They refused
> food and laughed at us. They treated the volunteers as if they where
> SLAVES. No, not all of them of course ~ but 70% percent did! Twenty
> percent where appreciative, 10 percent took the food without any
> comment and the other 70 percent had some disgusting comment to make.
> Some had the nerve to laugh at us. And when I snapped back at them for
> being mean, they would curse at me! Needless to say, I was in utter
> shock.
>
>
>
> They would eat their food and leave their mess on the table ~ some
> would pick up their stuff, but many would leave it for the volunteers
> to pick up. I left that real quick to go down and help set up some
> more beds. I saw many young ladies carrying mattresses and I helped
> for a while. Then I realized something ~ there were hundreds of able
> bodied young men who could help!
>
>
>
> I asked a group of young evacuees in their teens and early twenties to
> help. I got cursed at for asking them to help! One said, "We just lost
> our ****ing homes and you want us to work!" The next said "Ya,
> Cracker, you got a home ~ we don't" I looked at them in disbelief.
> Here are women walking by carrying THEIR BEDS and they can't lift a
> finger and help themselves!
>
>
>
> WHY SHOULD I HELP PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO HELP THEMSELVES!
>
>
>
> I waved them off and turned away and was laughed at and more "white
> boy jokes" were made at me. I felt no need to waste my breath on a
> bunch of pitiful losers.
>
>
>
> I went to a nearby restroom where I noticed a man shaving. I used the
> restroom, washed my hands and saw this man throw his razor towards the
> trash can ~ he missed. He walked out leaving his disgusting razor on
> the floor for some other "cracker" to pick up.
>
>
>
> Even the little kids were demanding. I saw only ONE white family and
> only TWO Hispanic families. The rest where blacks. Sorry ~ 20% to 30
> percent decent blacks and 70 percent LOSERS!
>
>
>
> I would call them ******S, but the actual definition of a ****** is
> one who is ignorant, and these people were not ignorant ~ they were
> ARROGANT. The majority are thugs and lifetime lazy welfare recipients.
>
>
>
> We are inviting the lowest of the low to Houston. And, like idiots, we
> are serving the people who will soon steal our cars, rape, murder and
> destroy our city while stealing from our pockets on a daily basis
> through the welfare checks they take. We will fund our own
> destruction.
>
>
>
> By "US," I don't mean a specific race ~ I mean the people who work
> hard, work smart, and have values and morals. Only people who want to
> help themselves should be helped ~ the others should be allowed to
> destroy themselves. I do not want to work hard and give the government
> close to half the money I earn so they can, in turn, give it to a
> bunch of losers.
>
>
>
> I don't believe in being poor for life. My family immigrated here. We
> came here poor, and now ~ thank God ~ and due to HARD WORK, we are
> doing fine. If immigrants who come here not knowing the language can
> work and become successful, WHY CAN'T THE MAJORITY OF THE HOMEGROWN DO
> IT!
>
>
>
> If we continue to reward these losers, we will soon destroy our great
> country. I just witnessed selfish, arrogant, unappreciative behavior
> by the very people who need help the most. Now these same people who
> cursed me, refused my city's generosity and who refuse to help
> themselves are DEMANDING handouts on their own terms! They prance
> around as if they are owed something, and when they do receive a
> handout, they say it's not good enough!
>
>
>
> Well you know what ~theses types of people can go to hell for all I
> care!
>
> --
> Visit our forums!
> http://dog-forums.net
>
> Email: Remove the \ufffd



Steph
2005-09-17 11:13:05 EST
I'm going to play devils advocate which I know is going to piss people off.
What I have to say is...can you blame them? I mean, I think that anyone
going to volunteer is great, but if they think that it's all going to be
rainbows, fuzzy cute bunnies, kitties frolicking in flowers....then you're
just STUPID. Look what they went though...they lost everything, homes,
personal posessions that can never be replaced, family and friends...their
government wasn't there for them. They gone through more than any one of us
probably has/will in a lifetime. I don't blame them for being rude or
pissed off. It was bad enough what they went though (survigin huricane and
all), but then to live in the conditions they did in the Super Dome, and to
wait as long as they did for help, food, water, etc. I don't blame them one
bit.
I also really didn't like how racist you were in your post. That's one
thing I can't stand. It is a black comunity so why would you go in there
expecting to see a lot of other races?? And you were always there to point
out how it was always BLACKS that were rude, stealing, raping, blah, blah,
blah. That is true but it's also usually young men... you didn't say
that...just blacks! It is a black race city mainly...who else is it
supposed to be? There are maffia's and gangs in any race...hispanic,
chinese, caucasion...every race has bad people. Where I went to high
school, whites were the minority...but they were still in gangs, stealing,
fighting, stabbing each other...more than any other race that was at the
school.
I'm not saying that it was right they way that they treated you or
anything...but put yourself in their shoes and think how cheary peachy you'd
be...you can't say how you'd act 100%. I'm sure you'll say no no, I'd be
sweet, kind, thanking everyone...yeah maybe you'd do that if you got help
the first or even second day. I think everyone's patience would be running
thin.



Alpha©
2005-09-17 12:54:01 EST
On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:13:05 -0400, "Steph" <stephhiggins@rogers.com>
wrote:

>I'm going to play devils advocate which I know is going to piss people off.
>What I have to say is...can you blame them? <snip>

I can blame them... Been there, done that.

I lived in N.O. in the 1960's and rode out hurricane Betsy in '65
which caused close to the same destruction regardless of how the media
portrays it. I have also traveled to N.O. twice monthly for the last
few years.

I can see that you have never lived in or even visited New Orleans and
that you also believe everything you see on TV. I would suggest you
reread the original post and try to grasp the statistics as your
reading comprehension is somewhat lacking.

How much have you contributed in money and time? Are your tax dollars
spent on those that WON'T help themselves?

--
Visit our forums!
http://dog-forums.net

Email: Remove the ©

Iehsmith
2005-09-17 13:48:49 EST
Having been an evacuee I tend to agree more with Steph.

I was LUCKY. While we have no savings and live from month to month, no
credit, we do have good transportation and could just afford reservations at
a Motel 6 (found for our pets' sake because we have internet access) without
going completely bust; so we evacuated BEFORE the storm. We were able to
load up our 6 cats (crated), our pit (loose) and a few belongings. We found
ourselves among friendly, warm, caring people who were simply 'reacting'
with natural concern. I think we were among the first to reserve at this
Motel 6, who made an immediate allowance for our number of pets, normally
only accepting 1 pet. The Motel filled with evacuees, nearly all with pets.
We were an ethnic mix, but several African Americans. (The police showed up
twice while we were there. We have no idea why, but the guest we saw with
them was the same white woman each time.) The community was small, but
immediately mobilized it's resources and set up lodging, donated clothing,
etc. and hot meals in their civic center. Soon there was free medical help,
Red Cross and National Guard presence there. A church brought breakfast to
the motel and opened their doors for meals every day, along with atleast one
other church doing the same. But at that time, most of the evacuees were not
those 'caught in the storm'. We only saw the devastation from afar. I never
saw one single incident of anyone being ungrateful. Some may not have said
thank you, but no one was helping them for thanks. There is a shell shock
factor when you don't know what's happened to your world and your find
yourself in the twilight zone. MANY people are not accustomed to others
being kind and generous and sincerely don't know how to react.

Later other "rescued" evacuees came. Those who had rode out the storm. They
were brought to the civic center in buses. They were 'searched' before
boarding and searched again before entering the civic center. We didn't go
to the civic center that evening or the following day feeling they must have
their hands full, but I heard of no incidents. We returned once to post some
information about our parish and ask some questions. While full up and very
busy, the place was calm.

This was Marshall, TX. I thank that entire community from the bottom of my
heart. Wonderful, caring people who gave without expecting anything in
return. But, I'm 52-yrs. old, and maturity can teach you a lot about how and
why people act the way they do. These were genuine folks and I never felt
'handled' or 'dealt with'. I was never made to feel I was a burden or a job.
The National Guard were polite, but they were about business, doing their
job... and doing it quite well. However, I can see where they don't give
folks that warm, fuzzy feeling.

I'm sure these later, rescued evacuees included the 'bad element'. But I
also think that many/most were those who had the least and went through the
most. Emotions in these situations run a chaotic course. Going from crying,
begging and screaming for rescue/help to grief, loss, confusion, to
disappointment and anger... not all that strange. I am among the luckiest.
I, my husband and pers are home, and my house and belongings are intact. My
husband has found that he still has a job. My parish is truly recovering,
though normal will take quite some time. But I find myself angry on behalf
of what's lost, about how things haven't been handled. I even find myself
quite irrationally upset, far beyond my own situation. I excuse myself. I
am, unfortunately, human. I've also previously had some short experience of
having lost everything and being homeless, all close relative dead.

alpha, I applaud you for volunteering, but that you went with expectations
of warm fuzzies and gratitude makes me think you may be young. I'm sorry
things weren't as you expected and I apologize for those who were truly
out-of-line. I disdain the actions of the cruel and criminal, regardless of
race; and can only hope that the foolish young will learn. But that said, I
think you may have some growing to do. I can't apologize for the lack of
thank yous. While among my small group of early evacuees there was expressed
gratitude, I cannot know what the rescuees went through. I do get the
feeling that many were treated like things being 'handled' by those 'doing a
job', after having gone through the worst.

We want our people back though, so hopefully you will not have to endure us
for too very long.

If it matters to you, my ethnicity is American; comprised of half Filipino
and half white. Husband, white.

inez


Iehsmith
2005-09-17 14:35:46 EST
On 9/17/05 11:54 AM, alpha© uttered:

>> I'm going to play devils advocate which I know is going to piss people off.
>> What I have to say is...can you blame them? <snip>
>
> I can blame them... Been there, done that.
>
> I lived in N.O. in the 1960's and rode out hurricane Betsy in '65
> which caused close to the same destruction regardless of how the media
> portrays it. I have also traveled to N.O. twice monthly for the last
> few years.
>
> I can see that you have never lived in or even visited New Orleans and
> that you also believe everything you see on TV. I would suggest you
> reread the original post and try to grasp the statistics as your
> reading comprehension is somewhat lacking.
>
> How much have you contributed in money and time? Are your tax dollars
> spent on those that WON'T help themselves?

Ah, I see you aren't young, just judgmental. I have lived in New Orleans,
was homeless there a while. I did leave New Orleans for a somewhat safer,
less expensive living. Lucky again because my husband could get a VA loan
for our $28,000 home in St. Charles. We still struggle. We went bankrupt
once, finally caving in from medical bills; luckily again, we were able to
keep our home.

BUT, I think you are making broad generalizations and you don't care to
understand what being raised in generations of 'expected' poverty can do to
mold a person. Some make it out, many don't. New Orleans is a hard place to
get educated, get a decent job and a hard place to be poor, like everywhere.
You can work 2-3 jobs and not be able to afford to get into a 'decent'
neighborhood. What's happening to your kids in your crap neighborhood while
you're working 3 jobs? Yes, many have given up, and many are being raised by
those who gave up. It's dangerous and terrible. It's a problem of our
society, not race. That African American make up the majority of this group
is a matter of our history. It won't be solved by purging them, ignoring
them or letting them drown though. It's not just a New Orleans problem or
southern problem. It's all over the US and beyond.

I'm not a person who care much for things like 'affirmative action' and the
like. Bandaids don't cure the infection underneath. But our society needs to
take a close look at itself and get things figured out. I don't have the
answers.

I can tell you that I'm striving to be self-employed on no budget after my
job went from full-time to part-time, from 20 hrs/wk to 15, to 10, to 5
when I finally quit. I had quit once before, after working +60hrs./wk and
several hours OFF the clock and was never given a raise. They gave me a
raise when I quit, so I foolishly stayed. My hour cuts were my final reward.

My husband can go to the VA for medical, but to have enough money to cover
monthly expenses and the occasional roof leak or fixing of the car, we don't
have health insurance. So I don't go to a doctor; not when I'm bending over
in pain and pissing blood. I self diagnose kidney stones, drink lots of
water and cranberry juice and hope 'it' will 'pass'. I might afford the
small things, like recent cat bites, because a tetanus and antibiotics won't
break us and I'll still have an arm to work with. But, I just let that damn
tooth fall out on its own. I don't go if I think I can get through it and
suspect it will require hospitalization if I see a doctor. It is very hard
for us to imagine a future that is better than the same struggle we have
now. There is no saving, no 401K. I was raised on the poor side, but never
realized it for years. I can't imagine being raised in true, urban poverty,
generation to generation, as it is today.

Well, I'm ranting on and convincing no one. I hate politics and will say no
more.


inez


Alpha©
2005-09-17 16:38:09 EST
On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 17:48:49 GMT, iehsmith
<*t@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Having been an evacuee I tend to agree more with Steph.
>
<snip>

iehsmith,
Thank you so much for adding your own recent experience. There were
many, many, evacuees in shelters close to our home, and for the most
part they were just like you. I sincerely hope they found some
comfort in the many volunteers, businesses, and organizations who
donated time, money, food, entertainment, and other essentials and
non-essentials in an effort to make their displacement and losses a
little less painful.

I can understand the frustration involved when faced with evacuation.
All of a sudden, there is nothing familiar remaining of your life or
your routine. I know how frustrating it is to deal with agencies
trying to help within the boundaries of their charter. I can only
begin to imagine the hopelessness and helplessness that many of these
families faced.

I certainly choose to believe there were more evacuees like yourself
than those negatively portrayed at the George R. Brown Convention
Center. Will I volunteer again in the same situation? Of
course...the difference being, I would donate my time and resources to
one family or possibly a small independently run shelter.

--
Visit our forums!
http://dog-forums.net

Email: Remove the ©

Alpha©
2005-09-17 16:42:25 EST
On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 18:35:46 GMT, iehsmith
<*t@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Ah, I see you aren't young, just judgmental. I have lived in New Orleans,
>was homeless there a while.
<snip>

You make such valid points about our society and the need to find a
way to stop the cycle of poverty. I don't have those answers either,
but fully agree the Band aids were never the solution, and the
appearance they were working faded long ago.

It is apparent you work hard for what you have, and I believe those
who work for what they acquire will continue to prosper. I did notice
in both your posts, there was no indication that you were 'owed' by
society. That, in essence, was my point in the original post.

Sincere best wishes as you return home and begin your new routine.

--
Visit our forums!
http://dog-forums.net

Email: Remove the ©

Meee
2005-09-18 02:09:20 EST
Hi, i just want to sympathize with you, I know you would have worked very
hard to help these people, and it would have been hard not to be
appreciated. But as another person already posted, they are probably out of
their mind with grief at losing home, pets and more importantly, family.
Those statistics do sound right- it would be a very unusual person who
would undergo all that and still have enough energy to be 'nice'. And don't
link 'black' with 'lazy and incapable of pulling themselves out of their
hole' I am a 'white' girl married to a 'black' man. We have gone through
years of frustration, because even though my husband is recognised by
everyone as a hard worker, an intelligent, talented and motivated person,
no.1 he hasn't recieved the medical, educational and economic advantages
'white' people take for granted, no.2 racism and judgement has dramatically
affected his life, and no.3 no-one ever told him he could succeed, everyone
told him he would fail. so he did for many years.
we have tried over and over to improve our standard of living, through
education, change of work, everything you can think of. And it took, not
just our hard work, but the encouragement and support of friends and family
for us to get anywhere. The point I am trying to make is that without
encouragement and support, and someone telling them they can succeed,
people, no matter what race, will eventually lose heart, become bitter, and
turn their backs on society. What you did, going in with a compassionate
heart, may not seem to have affected them. But it is a start. Maybe in stead
of dreading their 'intrusion' into your safe, clean world, you can all take
this opportunity to continually encourage and uplift these people. Think of
all the people who encouraged you. Then think that these people probably
have had hardly anyone encourage them, and many discouragement. Make this
crisis a turning point for those you come into contact with, I know what
it's like to lose everything, and lose faith in everything. If you have
never been in that position, you won't know the depth of bitterness they
would be feeling, and how unable they are right now to show kindness to
anyone. Be glad you haven't. It takes a lot of time, and you probably will
be hurt by those who have come into your community. But if they come with
pain and bitterness, absorb it, knowing you've had a good life compared to
most of them, and help them and show them love, as you have been taught how
to. Forgive the rant, but this is very important work you are doing, in more
ways than one, and I don't want you to give up, someday you will see the
reason for this.



Buglady
2005-09-18 15:38:49 EST

"Angie" <angiem@insight.rr.com> wrote in message
news:KTRWe.11460$ib1.4051@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com...
> And to think I made a very large donation.......................
> "alpha\ufffd" <alpha\ufffd@dog-forums.net> wrote in message
> news:o2fmi11cquf0m0jqcbgqrho17tea86rger@4ax.com...
> > SO I VOLUNTEERED..........
> > I went to volunteer on Saturday at the George R. Brown convention
> > center for two reasons.
> >
> > I wanted to help people to get a warm fuzzy and Curiosity.

..........I assume you had your curiosity satisfied. As for expecting to
get warm fuzzies from people whose lives were turned inside out, well,
shame on you.

> I started by handing out COLD water bottles to evacuees as they got
> off the bus. Many would take them and only 20 percent or less said
> "Thank you." Lots of them would shake their heads and ask for sodas!

.............Get real. The people getting off the buses had been living in
a dire situation for 5 days, some of them were camped out on an interstate
overpass where they were dumped after being rescued. The rest came from the
two big shelters where it was unsanitary, without food and water in the case
of the Convention Center. Then they were put on a bus for a long journey to
Houston. They hadn't even had a shower yet. They probably hadn't slept
well, if at all, in that amount of time, were dirty, confused and
traumatized. Your need to be appreciated comes in dead last if you ask me.

> > Help should be asked for in a kind manner and then appreciated.
.............Unfortunately you don't get to dictate other people's behavior.
You can only be responsible for yours, which ain't too sterling if you ask
me.

> > So that was the layout ~ great food, comfy beds, clean showers and
> > free medical help. By the way, there was a library and a theatre room
> > I forgot to mention. Great stuff, right?

................and sleeping with thousands of people, no where to dress or
undress with any privacy, noise probably all day and part of the night, part
of your family dead or missing, pets gone, home gone, car gone, job gone.
oh, yes, it must be paradise!

> > They complained that we didn't have good enough food. They refused
> > food and laughed at us. They treated the volunteers as if they where
> > SLAVES. No, not all of them of course ~ but 70% percent did!

.............I think it felt like 70% to you because you expected to feel
all warm and fuzzy and see thankful tears in people's eyes.

And when I snapped back at them for
> > being mean,

.......well I hope you don't volunteer again. You weren't doing anyone any
good.

> > They would eat their food and leave their mess on the table ~ some
> > would pick up their stuff, but many would leave it for the volunteers
> > to pick up.
............got nothing to do with race or economic status. I see a lot of
well dressed kids who don't know how to pick up after themselves.

>The majority are thugs and lifetime lazy welfare recipients.

........geez you sure are judgmental. You have no way of knowing who they
are. You must be an ignorant cracker. Didja like that?

BTW, what does this post have to do with dogs or dog health? Just wanted to
spread your venom around huh?

> > Visit our forums!
> > http://dog-forums.net

........how come these forums have the same name as the Usenet forums?

buglady
take out the dog before replying


Page: 1 2 3   Next  (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron