Dog Discussion: Dog Eats Bone, Dog Needs Surgery

Dog Eats Bone, Dog Needs Surgery

Lucifer
2005-07-17 02:09:09 EST
I have 4 dogs, my smallest, is also the oldest, her name is Princess, and I
have a situation with her. An older couple who live right next door have
become very friendly with us. They started bringing over REAL bones to feed
to my pack of pups. I didn't ever give my dogs the bones, just threw them
away as soon as the elderly couple left. But this time the elderly couple
just left the paper plate on my back step, and my dogs smelling food, got to
the plate of bones before I did. Princess ate one of these bones, and she
became ill very shortly afterward. This happened about a week and a half
ago.

I took Princess in to see the Vet today because she wasn't getting any
better... I wasn't able to afford to take her in sooner, I'm a single mom
who has to budget money very carefully, and I was hoping it was just an
upset stomach, and she'd get through it... Princess has not been able to
eat, can only drink fluids, and as a result has lost 4 pounds, (she used to
weigh 12 lbs, she's now down to 8...) and after taking her to the Vet today,
and getting x-rays, the Doc found the problem... Princess has a bone lodged
in her Esophagus!

They don't have the sugical equipment to perform the surgury here, so I have
to drive Prinnie up to a University Vet Hospital who does have the proper
equipment (Endoscopy) to have the surgery. Of course I NEED to get this
done, but the bummer is I have to wait another 2-3 days in order to make an
appointment, and drive up there, and try to come up with the $1200-$1600 I
need to get the surgery done. I am very distrot because the Vet hospital has
a "pay or die" policy. Which means I have to pay them a minimum of half of
the estimate before they will even touch her, and the other half is due
after the surgery. I don't have half of the money, I have on hand about a
third of the estimated cost... I am desperately trying to call every family
member I have to try and gather enough money to get this surgery done ASAP.

It feels as if no one seems to care that my dog is in pain...

I'm not asking for anything from this newsgroup, I just needed comfort
letting this out, I'm on the verge of tears because of this, and I don't
know where to turn. Man this sucks....

If anyone has any ideas please reply. Thank you.

W*@Animail.Net
2005-07-17 19:09:53 EST
HOWEDY Lucifer,

Lucifer wrote:
> I have 4 dogs, my smallest, is also the oldest, her name is
> Princess, and I have a situation with her. An older couple who
> live right next door have become very friendly with us. They
> started bringing over REAL bones to feed to my pack of pups.

The Amazing Puppy Wizard SEZ: "NO BHOWENS, NO RAWHIDES."

> I didn't ever give my dogs the bones,

Good.

> just threw them away as soon as the elderly couple left.

You mean, to SPARE their "FEELINS"?

> But this time the elderly couple just left the paper plate
> on my back step, and my dogs smelling food, got to the plate
> of bones before I did. Princess ate one of these bones, and
> she became ill very shortly afterward.

Well then, you've only got yourself to blame for
not being forthcoming in not acception your neighbor's
HOWEspitality <{); ~ ) >

> This happened about a week and a half ago.
>
> I took Princess in to see the Vet today because she wasn't
> getting any better... I wasn't able to afford to take her
> in sooner, I'm a single mom who has to budget money very
> carefully, and I was hoping it was just an upset stomach,
> and she'd get through it... Princess has not been able to
> eat, can only drink fluids, and as a result has lost 4 pounds,
> (she used to weigh 12 lbs, she's now down to 8...) and after
> taking her to the Vet today, and getting x-rays, the Doc found
> the problem... Princess has a bone lodged in her Esophagus!

Ooops! That's better than in her intestines on accHOWENT
of she'd of been DEAD a few days ago if it was <{): ~ ( >

> They don't have the sugical equipment to perform the surgury
> here, so I have to drive Prinnie up to a University Vet Hospital
> who does have the proper equipment (Endoscopy) to have the surgery.

That's a simple enough procedure.

> Of course I NEED to get this done,

IMMEDIATELY, if not sooner.

> but the bummer is I have to wait another 2-3 days
> in order to make an appointment, and drive up there,

Your dog MIGHT NOT LIVE that long.

> and try to come up with the $1200-$1600

THAT S-HOWENDS EXXXHORBITANT. That proceedure
should cost no MOORE than a hundred fifty bucks.

> I need to get the surgery done.

See if you can find a local vet with a scope.

> I am very distrot because the Vet hospital
> has a "pay or die" policy.

Yeah, that's too bad. When The Amazing Puppy
Wizard's Horse needed emergency surgery HE
went to UofPA and at that time they was kindly
enough to accept a payment schedule, whereas
UofNH wasn't willing to RISK savin a life and
takin payments <{): ~ ( >

> Which means I have to pay them a minimum of half of
> the estimate before they will even touch her, and the
> other half is due after the surgery. I don't have half
> of the money, I have on hand about a third of the estimated
> cost... I am desperately trying to call every family member
> I have to try and gather enough money to get this surgery
> done ASAP.

Well LUCK thing we got VETERINARIANS and SHELTER
and RESCUE DOG LOVERS who'll be EAGER to offer
you assistance. Ask sharon too, veterinary office
manager and mrs. veterinarian if she can NETWORK
with you to get some emergency HEELP pryor to your
dog pukin up blood and shittin the bed on your
livin room floor like HOWE bentcajungirl's DEAD
DOG Maggie done, for stealin Gorilly Glue on
accHOWENT of her EFFORTS to TRAIN IT not to steal
stuff.

> It feels as if no one seems to care that my dog is in pain...

Ask dra deb, former US Army veterinarian. SHORELY she
got CONNECTIONS that she can offer you for assistance.

> I'm not asking for anything from this newsgroup,

DON'T HESITATE TO ASK FOR HEELP!

Ask buglady, she works for a vet and ALWAYS has
HEELPFUL advice for dog lovers IN NEED of HEELP.

> I just needed comfort letting this out,

Your dog is DYIN on accHOWENT of you was BEING KIND
to your neighbors. Your dog is DYIN on accHOWENT of
YOUR VET NEVER TAUGHT YOU HOWE to TRAIN your dog
NOT TO EAT POISON or STUFF he ain't supposed to have.

Ask sharon too, she KNOWS ALL abHOWET THOSE ISSUES.
Might ASK dra deb or buglady, for all that's worth.

Meanwhile whatever happens, TRAIN your dogs
NOT TO ACCEPT STUFF THEY FIND layin arHOWEND.

Here's your FREE copy of The Amazing Puppy
Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training
Method Manual:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G 34D2527A

Just ASK The Amazing Puppy Wizard if you
need any additional FREE heelp. There's NO
arbritrary INFORMATION in your FREE copy
of The Amazing Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW
Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual so
study it well and do and follow ALL the
EXXXERCISES AS INSTRUCTED... it's a
PRECISE SCIENCE or it COULDN'T GET 100%
CONSISTENT NEARLY INSTANT SUCCESS for
all handlers and all dogs in all fields
or utilities and behaviors all over the
Whole Wild World <{) ; ~ ) >

Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 09:41:01 -0500
From: "George von Hilsheimer, Ph.D."
<*.@mindspring.com>
Subject: "time-out"

Dan, my own firm hatred of punishment has
recently been intensified by meeting The
Puppy Wizard, Jerry Howe, whose work with
dogs is marvelous.

There is a literature on harms caused by time
out, and perhaps you'd like to look at
http://www.dogydoright.com
George von Hilsheimer, Ph.D., F.R.S.H.

"As Sam Corson (Pavlov's last student) demonstrated for
nearly 50 years at Ohio University (Oxford, O.) there
is no treatment more useful for dogs than tender loving
care."

George von Hilsheimer, Ph. D., F. R. S. H., Diplomate,
Academy of Behavioral Medicine

From: TooCool (larrym...@hotmail.com)

The Puppy Wizard's Wits End Training Method

I have studied canine behavior and dog training for
years. I have a huge library that covers every system
of training.

The Puppy Wizard's (Jerry Howe's) Wits' End Training
Method is by far the most scientific, the most advanced,
the kindest, the quickest and the most effective training
method yet discovered.

It is not an assortment of training tips and tricks; it is
a logically consistent system. Every behavior problem
and every obedience skill is treated in the same logically
consistent manner.

Please study his manual carefully. Please endeavor to
understand the basis of his system and please follow
his directions exactly. His manual is a masterpiece.
It is dense with theory, with explanation, with detailed
descriptions about why behavior problems occur and
how their solution should be approached.

One should not pick and choose from among his methods
based upon what you personally like or dislike. His is not a
bag of tricks but a complete and integrated system for not
only training a dog but for raising a loving companion.

When I once said to Jerry that his system creates for
you the dog of your dreams, his response was that it
produces for your dog the owner of his dreams.

You see, Jerry has discovered that if you are gentle
with your dog then he will be gentle with you, if you
praise your dog every time he looks at you, then you
will become the center of your dogs world, if you use
Jerry's sound distraction with praise, then it takes
just minutes-sometimes merely seconds-to train your
dog to not misbehave (even in your absence) (Just 15
seconds this morning to train my 10 week old puppy to
lie quietly and let me clip his nails).

Using Jerry's scientific method (sound distraction /
praise / alteration / variation) it takes just minutes to
train you dog to respond to your commands.

What a pleasure it was for me to see my 6 week old
puppy running as fast has his wobbly little legs would
carry him in response to my recall command-and he
comes running every time I call no matter where we are
or what he is doing.

At ten weeks old now, my puppy never strains upon
his leash thanks to Jerry's hot & cold exercises and
his Family Pack Leadership exercises.

Jerry has discovered that if you scold your dog, if you
scream at him, if you intimidate him, if you hurt him,
if you force him then his natural response is to oppose
you.

Is Jerry a nut?

It doesn't make any difference to me whether he is or not.
It is a logical fallacy to judge a person's ideas based upon
their personality. As far as dogs are concerned, Jerry
wears his heart upon his sleeve. It touches him deeply
when he hears of trainers forcing, intimidating, scolding
or hurting dogs.

More than that, he knows that force is not effective
and that it will certainly lead to behavior problems;
sometime problems so severe that people put their
dogs down because of those problems.

I believe that it is natural for humans to want to control
their dog by force. Jerry knows this too. We have all been
at our wits' end, haven't we?

Dogs have a natural tendency to mimic. In scientific
literature it is referred to allelomimetic behavior. Dogs
respond in like kind to force; they respond in like kind
to praise.

Don't bribe your dog with treats; give him what he
wants most-your kind attention. Give him your praise.
You will be astonished at how your dog 's anxiety will
dissipate and how their behavior problems will dissipate
along with their anxiety.

Treat Jerry Howe's (The Puppy Wizard) Wits' End
Training Method as a scientific principle just as you
would the law of gravity and you will have astounding
success.

Dog behavior is just as scientific as is gravity.

If you follow Jerry's puppy rules you will get a sweet little
Magwai; if you don't you will surely get a little gremlin
(anyone see The Gremlins?). --Larry