Dog Discussion: Dogs And Strangers

Dogs And Strangers

Mdginzo
2003-09-21 14:44:36 EST
Why is ity that my mini-dachsund just adores strangers? If someone comes to
the house he wants nothing more than to jump in their laps and slober all
over them. If he gets loose usually the only way we ever catch him is
because he ran right up to a stranger. One would think that he might be
more partial to the actual people that take care of him and that he sleeps
with at night. He'll happily jump in our laps and be loved if we call him,
but if someone new comes around he wants to be around that person. Why does
he do this?

Aria
2003-09-21 21:37:54 EST
Sounds very unusual to me...Doxies are usually very adverse to strangers.
Mine was only friendly to family members and one other person that used to
frequent our abode. She hated everyone else.

"mdginzo" <mdginzo@bellsouthSPAM.net> wrote in message
> Why is ity that my mini-dachsund just adores strangers? If someone comes
> the house he wants nothing more than to jump in their laps and slober all
> over them. If he gets loose usually the only way we ever catch him is
> because he ran right up to a stranger. One would think that he might be
> more partial to the actual people that take care of him and that he sleeps
> with at night. He'll happily jump in our laps and be loved if we call
him,
> but if someone new comes around he wants to be around that person. Why
does
> he do this?

Thesnowbaron
2003-09-21 21:48:35 EST
I thought they were called "Dachsies or Daxies" :-))
Frank
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"Aria" <aria84@cox.net> wrote in message
: Sounds very unusual to me...Doxies are usually very
adverse to strangers.
: Mine was only friendly to family members and one other
person that used to
: frequent our abode. She hated everyone else.
:
:
[...]
: >
: >
:
:

Mdginzo
2003-09-23 10:40:40 EST

"Aria" <aria84@cox.net> wrote in message
> Sounds very unusual to me...Doxies are usually very adverse to strangers.
> Mine was only friendly to family members and one other person that used to
> frequent our abode. She hated everyone else.
>

> "mdginzo" <mdginzo@bellsouthSPAM.net> wrote in message
> > Why is ity that my mini-dachsund just adores strangers? If someone
comes
> > the house he wants nothing more than to jump in their laps and slober
all
> > over them. If he gets loose usually the only way we ever catch him is
> > because he ran right up to a stranger. One would think that he might be
> > more partial to the actual people that take care of him and that he
sleeps
> > with at night. He'll happily jump in our laps and be loved if we call
> him,
> > but if someone new comes around he wants to be around that person. Why
> does
> > he do this?

Mdginzo
2003-09-23 10:48:12 EST
Well, Bob (our Doxie) seems very agressive when there is a knock at the door
or he realizes someone is outside. He'll bark and growl like he is ready to
kill anything that walks through. But as soon as they are inside he
immediately runs to the back of the couch (the place where he is used to
being petted when I come home) and whines like a baby until they come to
greet and pet him.

We did raise Bob from a puppy to be very friendly, but I also wonder if it
is genetic because every puppy he sired is the same way - love all people
especially new people. Then again, we are very selective as to who we give
our pups to.

One more thing, why would it be that Bob would be partial to kids? Could it
be their voices? I thought that, but the other day we had a 3-year old in
the house that didn't make a sound and I could not hold back this 7-pound
dog who wanted desperately to play with this girl. Size? Do dogs really
discern the different sizes of humans?

Is my dog just weird?

"Aria" <aria84@cox.net> wrote in message
> Sounds very unusual to me...Doxies are usually very adverse to strangers.
> Mine was only friendly to family members and one other person that used to
> frequent our abode. She hated everyone else.
>

> "mdginzo" <mdginzo@bellsouthSPAM.net> wrote in message
> > Why is ity that my mini-dachsund just adores strangers? If someone
comes
> > the house he wants nothing more than to jump in their laps and slober
all
> > over them. If he gets loose usually the only way we ever catch him is
> > because he ran right up to a stranger. One would think that he might be
> > more partial to the actual people that take care of him and that he
sleeps
> > with at night. He'll happily jump in our laps and be loved if we call
> him,
> > but if someone new comes around he wants to be around that person. Why
> does
> > he do this?

MikeTheBike9
2004-12-08 18:49:08 EST
Be careful some shitbag doesn't steal your friendly dog- it happens,
especially in this day of thousand dollar puppies. Mike.