Dog Discussion: Understanding Behaviour

Understanding Behaviour

Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)

CyberLegend Aka Jure Sah
2003-09-20 05:22:22 EST
Hello everybody,

You're surely (well some of you) experts on dog behaviours, so can you
please tell me what the following means:

The dog is excited when she sees me (even from a fair distance, commonly
over 20 meters), she will wag her tail side to side, before eventualy
laying it flat on her back. If I happen to get close enough afterwards,
she will keep sniffing my hand and start licking it shortly afterwards.

Ok actualy, I have an idea of what this behaviour means, but I would
like an oppinion from someone who knows exactly what those behaviours
normaly represent.

Thanx in advance.

Observer aka DustWolf aka CyberLegend aka Jure Sah

C'ya!

--
Cellphone: +38640809676 (SMS enabled)

Don't feel bad about asking/telling me anything, I will always gladly
reply.

"Yes, Master."

Have you been told Internet will always be
threatened by worms viruses etc? We don't think so:
http://208.186.111.189/ici/index.htm

MesonAI -- If nobody else wants to do it, why shouldn't we?(TM)

KrisHur
2003-09-21 07:34:15 EST
She's happy to see you.
--
Kristen &
Kali CD, CGC, TDI, TT

"CyberLegend aka Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message
> Hello everybody,
>
> You're surely (well some of you) experts on dog behaviours, so can you
> please tell me what the following means:
>
> The dog is excited when she sees me (even from a fair distance, commonly
> over 20 meters), she will wag her tail side to side, before eventualy
> laying it flat on her back. If I happen to get close enough afterwards,
> she will keep sniffing my hand and start licking it shortly afterwards.
>
> Ok actualy, I have an idea of what this behaviour means, but I would
> like an oppinion from someone who knows exactly what those behaviours
> normaly represent.
>
> Thanx in advance.
>
> Observer aka DustWolf aka CyberLegend aka Jure Sah
>
> C'ya!
>
> --
> Cellphone: +38640809676 (SMS enabled)
>
> Don't feel bad about asking/telling me anything, I will always gladly
> reply.
>
> "Yes, Master."
>
> Have you been told Internet will always be
> threatened by worms viruses etc? We don't think so:
> http://208.186.111.189/ici/index.htm
>
> MesonAI -- If nobody else wants to do it, why shouldn't we?(TM)

CyberLegend Aka Jure Sah
2003-09-21 09:34:47 EST
KrisHur wrote:
> She's happy to see you.

Umm. I don't see dogs commonly doing things like that to other People...
Are you sure that's all?

> "CyberLegend aka Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > You're surely (well some of you) experts on dog behaviours, so can you
> > please tell me what the following means:
> >
> > The dog is excited when she sees me (even from a fair distance, commonly
> > over 20 meters), she will wag her tail side to side, before eventualy
> > laying it flat on her back. If I happen to get close enough afterwards,
> > she will keep sniffing my hand and start licking it shortly afterwards.
> >
> > Ok actualy, I have an idea of what this behaviour means, but I would
> > like an oppinion from someone who knows exactly what those behaviours
> > normaly represent.
> >
> > Thanx in advance.
> >
> > Observer aka DustWolf aka CyberLegend aka Jure Sah
> >
> > C'ya!
> >
> > --
> > Cellphone: +38640809676 (SMS enabled)
> >
> > Don't feel bad about asking/telling me anything, I will always gladly
> > reply.
> >
> > "Yes, Master."
> >
> > Have you been told Internet will always be
> > threatened by worms viruses etc? We don't think so:
> > http://208.186.111.189/ici/index.htm
> >
> > MesonAI -- If nobody else wants to do it, why shouldn't we?(TM)

Observer aka DustWolf aka CyberLegend aka Jure Sah

C'ya!

--
Cellphone: +38640809676 (SMS enabled)

Don't feel bad about asking/telling me anything, I will always gladly
reply.

"Yes, Master."

Have you been told Internet will always be
threatened by worms viruses etc? We don't think so:
http://208.186.111.189/ici/index.htm

MesonAI -- If nobody else wants to do it, why shouldn't we?(TM)

Michael A. Ball
2003-09-21 10:23:24 EST
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:22:22 +0200, CyberLegend aka Jure Sah <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote:
>You're surely (well some of you) experts on dog behaviours, so can you
>please tell me what the following means:

She definitely is happy to see you, but she is also profoundly submissive. You might be a bit
intimidated by you--even though she loves you, and even though you've probably never done anything
to cause her to be intimidated. Incidentally, any submissive urination during these events?

Treat her gently and lovingly; I believe she'll be fine.

Michael

CyberLegend Aka Jure Sah
2003-09-21 16:01:36 EST
"Michael A. Ball" wrote:
> She definitely is happy to see you, but she is also profoundly submissive. You might be a bit
> intimidated by you--even though she loves you, and even though you've probably never done anything
> to cause her to be intimidated.

I belive I might have hurt her by not responding as I've felt I should,
due to the point there were people around and I was kind of trying not
to make myself look THAT strange.

> Incidentally, any submissive urination during these events?

Not that I have noticed. Why?

But I have noticed her lowering her muzzle and tail with quiet yips when
meeting me elsewhere. That was a kind of display of submission I was
more fammiliar with.

> Treat her gently and lovingly; I believe she'll be fine.

Considering I do not have any human freinds of a simmilar kind, I too
really wish I could spend more time with her and it being so evident she
kinda misses me too it makes me feel bad about it, but it's difficoult
to get togather considering she's actualy the neighbour's dog...

Hints anyone?

Observer aka DustWolf aka CyberLegend aka Jure Sah

C'ya!

--
Cellphone: +38640809676 (SMS enabled)

Don't feel bad about asking/telling me anything, I will always gladly
reply.

"Yes, Master."

Have you been told Internet will always be
threatened by worms viruses etc? We don't think so:
http://208.186.111.189/ici/index.htm

MesonAI -- If nobody else wants to do it, why shouldn't we?(TM)

Michael A. Ball
2003-09-21 19:12:55 EST
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 22:01:36 +0200, CyberLegend aka Jure Sah <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote:

>I believe I might have hurt her by not responding as I've felt I should,
>due to the point there were people around and I was kind of trying not
>to make myself look THAT strange.
>
>> Incidentally, any submissive urination during these events?
>
>Not that I have noticed. Why?
>
>But I have noticed her lowering her muzzle and tail with quiet yips when
>meeting me elsewhere. That was a kind of display of submission I was
>more familiar with.
>
>> Treat her gently and lovingly; I believe she'll be fine.
>
>Considering I do not have any human friends of a similar kind, I too
>really wish I could spend more time with her and it being so evident she
>kinda misses me too it makes me feel bad about it, but it's difficult
>to get together considering she's actually the neighbour's dog...

Learning that this dog belongs to someone else changes things a bit, for me. All things considered,
I don't believe You should try to alter this dog's behavior.

The muzzle and head duck and the low yipping are displays of submission and intimidation. Some
puppies arrived at the shelter on Friday. All five were terrified. They tried to hide and yelped as
though they were being slaughtered, if anyone touched them. I made each one let me hold it for a
short time. By today, visitors were able to pet the puppies. :-)

Regarding submissive urination, among young dogs and certain breeds, inappropriate urination is a
sign of submission. Many/most dogs grow out of it: not by becoming less submissive, but by becoming
more confident. Essentially, they realize that they will be loved, even without the odd posturing.
:-)

If the dog's owner consents, teach the dog some confidence, and some of the submissiveness should
subside.

These are merely my humble thoughts.

Michael

Diddy
2003-09-21 20:04:53 EST
Michael A. Ball <Guardian@wireco.net> wrote in

> If the dog's owner consents, teach the dog some confidence, and some
> of the submissiveness should subside.
>
> These are merely my humble thoughts.
>
> Michael

But solid ones.

Michael A. Ball
2003-09-21 21:41:51 EST
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 22:01:36 +0200, CyberLegend aka Jure Sah <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote:
>I belive I might have hurt her by not responding as I've felt I should,
>due to the point there were people around and I was kind of trying not
>to make myself look THAT strange.

I forgot something important! Don't be too concerned about responding to dogs as you feel like--when
you have permission. My dogs get hugs many times each day. I'm often on all fours. If we happen to
be out in public, so be it. People who love their dogs, understand perfectly, and don't consider me
strange (at least, not for that reason!) And the folks who don't understand, don't matter.

Besides, I find that being perceived as "strange" has some real benefits! :-)

Michael

A. B.
2003-09-22 03:44:49 EST
Hi,

Actually, you have not mentioned your liaison to the dog. I.e.:

1. Is it your dog?
2. Or, Are you dog sitting?
3. Or, is it a dog with a sad history?

Depending on what the situation is, it could reflect different
perspectives. Especially, with the answer to questions 2 & 3 are yes. In
that case, I would still say it is OK, it takes some time for them to
gain trust. It also depends what breed it is.

Generally, this kind of actions reflect submissiveness and furthering
towards gaining trust.

But, overall, it should be OK. And my personal opinion about people
around... watching etc., I wouldn't care. My own dog makes me look like
an idiot to some of the humans around, but for the relationship we
share, it is worth it any day. :-)

Cheers.

Ben

CyberLegend aka Jure Sah wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> You're surely (well some of you) experts on dog behaviours, so can you
> please tell me what the following means:
>
> The dog is excited when she sees me (even from a fair distance, commonly
> over 20 meters), she will wag her tail side to side, before eventualy
> laying it flat on her back. If I happen to get close enough afterwards,
> she will keep sniffing my hand and start licking it shortly afterwards.
>
> Ok actualy, I have an idea of what this behaviour means, but I would
> like an oppinion from someone who knows exactly what those behaviours
> normaly represent.
>
> Thanx in advance.
>
> Observer aka DustWolf aka CyberLegend aka Jure Sah
>
> C'ya!
>
> --
> Cellphone: +38640809676 (SMS enabled)
>
> Don't feel bad about asking/telling me anything, I will always gladly
> reply.
>
> "Yes, Master."
>
> Have you been told Internet will always be
> threatened by worms viruses etc? We don't think so:
> http://208.186.111.189/ici/index.htm
>
> MesonAI -- If nobody else wants to do it, why shouldn't we?(TM)

CyberLegend Aka Jure Sah
2003-09-22 08:25:13 EST
"A. B." wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Actually, you have not mentioned your liaison to the dog. I.e.:
>
> 1. Is it your dog?

No.

> 2. Or, Are you dog sitting?

Nope.

> 3. Or, is it a dog with a sad history?

I wouldn't say so, she's a dog like any other, with loving owners, etc.

> Depending on what the situation is, it could reflect different
> perspectives. Especially, with the answer to questions 2 & 3 are yes. In
> that case, I would still say it is OK, it takes some time for them to
> gain trust. It also depends what breed it is.

I don't know what's the breed, erm, dogs are not my area really I'm much
more interested in wolves. But it's a medium-size dog with black and
white patches and short fur, if that tells you anything. The only thing
I'm sure of is that she's a purebreed, since the dog that neighbour had
before this one was exactly the same (except of course he was male).

> Generally, this kind of actions reflect submissiveness and furthering
> towards gaining trust.
>
> But, overall, it should be OK. And my personal opinion about people
> around... watching etc., I wouldn't care. My own dog makes me look like
> an idiot to some of the humans around, but for the relationship we
> share, it is worth it any day. :-)

I know well if I owned a dog myself I guess it would be abit diffirent,
my problem is that this is actualy someone else's dog and I have no idea
what they might think actualy.

For example if a dog wants to sniff my backside I will stop and let
him/her do it (ignoring the point that the owners are usualy left mildly
confused), because it's what the dog wants to do. On the other hand it
happens many times that a husky or something simmilarly cute behind a
fence will sniff in my direction and say many sad yips and I can't
really do much about the fence, that leaves me quite sad to have had to
hurt them by not getting closer, but I guess in a position where saying
"I sincerely appologize for jumping your fence, but your dog is really
cute" would be appropriate is not something I would be doing while
completely sane.