Dog Discussion: Stupid Dog Ate Fish Food

Stupid Dog Ate Fish Food

Dee
2005-02-15 13:38:38 EST
my small dog got into my fish cupboard and ate a tub of tropical flakes!
(She left her liver and bacon!)
I assume it's relatively harmless - but can someone just reassure me?

Cichlidiot
2005-02-15 14:47:38 EST
In alt.aquaria Dee <djhatukpcdotnet> wrote:
> my small dog got into my fish cupboard and ate a tub of tropical flakes!
> (She left her liver and bacon!)
> I assume it's relatively harmless - but can someone just reassure me?

The biggest concern would be if the flakes contained garlic as some do
these days due to the theorized healing properties of garlic.
Unfortunately in dogs and cats, garlic (and onions) can cause anemia if
eaten in too large of quantities. So read the ingredients list of the
flakes (or search the manufacturers website) and see if it contains
garlic. If so, a trip to the vet would be a good precaution. Otherwise, I
can't think of anything else in fish food that would be too alarming
unless it was medicated food.

2pods
2005-02-15 15:13:29 EST
"Dee" <djhatukpcdotnet> wrote in message
> my small dog got into my fish cupboard and ate a tub of tropical flakes!
> (She left her liver and bacon!)
> I assume it's relatively harmless - but can someone just reassure me?

Should be OK.
Our cats are terrible for eating the fish sticks :-)

Peter

Edward Cowling London UK
2005-02-15 15:15:12 EST
In message <4212423c$0$16889$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>, Dee
<*t@?.?.invalid> writes
>my small dog got into my fish cupboard and ate a tub of tropical flakes!
>(She left her liver and bacon!)
>I assume it's relatively harmless - but can someone just reassure me?

99% fish protein.... no worse than a tin of Tuna.

Relax..... I even knew someone who ate a handful with
no ill effect........

--
Edward Cowling London UK

Wendy
2005-02-15 17:14:59 EST
My cat did this once, she was fine.
wendy

--
--------------------------------------
\ufffdo\ufffd Just back from Walt Disney World
"Cichlidiot" <fishlover@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In alt.aquaria Dee <djhatukpcdotnet> wrote:
>> my small dog got into my fish cupboard and ate a tub of tropical flakes!
>> (She left her liver and bacon!)
>> I assume it's relatively harmless - but can someone just reassure me?
>
> The biggest concern would be if the flakes contained garlic as some do
> these days due to the theorized healing properties of garlic.
> Unfortunately in dogs and cats, garlic (and onions) can cause anemia if
> eaten in too large of quantities. So read the ingredients list of the
> flakes (or search the manufacturers website) and see if it contains
> garlic. If so, a trip to the vet would be a good precaution. Otherwise, I
> can't think of anything else in fish food that would be too alarming
> unless it was medicated food.

Carcon
2005-02-15 18:25:32 EST
lol my dog loves fishfood, hes always at my feet when im feeding them hoping
i drop the tub no doubt lol