Dog Discussion: My Dog Is Freezing :P

My Dog Is Freezing :P

Tina - AffordableHOST.com
2003-09-12 11:53:12 EST
Actually, he's just cold. He's a mini daschund/chihuaha and I need to find
him a decent sweater. No, I'm not wanting something 'cute'...just a
functional sweatshirt hoodie, etc. Trouble is, all I can find are
ridiculous cutesy, totally stupid stuff that I can't imagine would keep him
warm.

Anyone know of a site that has practical apparel for a small dog???

--Tina

ZPL
2003-09-12 12:12:31 EST
My neighbor used to use socks - she'd cut a few holes, and TA-DA! Might get
you through until you find something you like.

"Tina - AffordableHOST.com" <tina@affordablehost.com> wrote in message
> Actually, he's just cold. He's a mini daschund/chihuaha and I need to
find
> him a decent sweater. No, I'm not wanting something 'cute'...just a
> functional sweatshirt hoodie, etc. Trouble is, all I can find are
> ridiculous cutesy, totally stupid stuff that I can't imagine would keep
him
> warm.
>
> Anyone know of a site that has practical apparel for a small dog???
>
> --Tina

Chris Garcia
2003-09-12 20:07:18 EST
"Tina - AffordableHOST.com" <tina@affordablehost.com> decided to join
the conversation on 12 Sep 2003 with message

> Actually, he's just cold. He's a mini daschund/chihuaha and I need to
> find him a decent sweater. No, I'm not wanting something
> 'cute'...just a functional sweatshirt hoodie, etc. Trouble is, all I
> can find are ridiculous cutesy, totally stupid stuff that I can't
> imagine would keep him warm.
>
> Anyone know of a site that has practical apparel for a small dog???

I have a Green and White Striped sweater that Ginger used to wear for the
two days of the year it got really cold.. now she has a really neato
reversible coat ;) ... it's about 26" long from the end of the "collar"
(which folds over like a turtle-neck) to the end of the sweater.

i could talk with my wife, she if she wants to sell it (since we're not
using it) if you're interested.

--
-Chris

http://www.ChrisGarcia.com <- My Homepage
http://www.chrisgarcia.com/cars/ <- *NEW* My cars
http://www.chrisgarcia.com/dogs/ <- *Sort-of NEW* My dogs
http://starwars.chrisgarcia.com/ <- Centerpoint Station, the "ghost-
town" of the Star Wars Universe!

Tina - AffordableHOST.com
2003-09-12 21:41:14 EST

"Chris Garcia" <NcOhSrPiAsM@chrisgarcia.com> wrote in message
> "Tina - AffordableHOST.com" <tina@affordablehost.com> decided to join
> the conversation on 12 Sep 2003 with message
>
> > Actually, he's just cold. He's a mini daschund/chihuaha and I need to
> > find him a decent sweater. No, I'm not wanting something
> > 'cute'...just a functional sweatshirt hoodie, etc. Trouble is, all I
> > can find are ridiculous cutesy, totally stupid stuff that I can't
> > imagine would keep him warm.
> >
> > Anyone know of a site that has practical apparel for a small dog???
> >

> I have a Green and White Striped sweater that Ginger used to wear for the
> two days of the year it got really cold.. now she has a really neato
> reversible coat ;) ... it's about 26" long from the end of the "collar"
> (which folds over like a turtle-neck) to the end of the sweater.
>
> i could talk with my wife, she if she wants to sell it (since we're not
> using it) if you're interested.

That's a great offer and I would jump at it...except Jake is only about 14
inches long from head to butt. :-D

--Tina

Chris Garcia
2003-09-12 23:17:00 EST

> That's a great offer and I would jump at it...except Jake is only
> about 14 inches long from head to butt. :-D

yeah.. then it's probably a little too big in the "waist" too..

--
-Chris

http://www.ChrisGarcia.com <- My Homepage
http://www.chrisgarcia.com/cars/ <- *NEW* My cars
http://www.chrisgarcia.com/dogs/ <- *Sort-of NEW* My dogs
http://starwars.chrisgarcia.com/ <- Centerpoint Station, the "ghost-town"
of the Star Wars Universe!

Tina - AffordableHOST.com
2003-09-13 00:21:19 EST
> "Tina - AffordableHOST.com" <tina@affordablehost.com> decided to join
> the conversation on 12 Sep 2003 with message
>

> > That's a great offer and I would jump at it...except Jake is only
> > about 14 inches long from head to butt. :-D
>
> yeah.. then it's probably a little too big in the "waist" too..

Do dogs even have waists?? lol

Anyway, since you asked, here's a pic of Jake:

http://www.affordablehost.com/jake.jpg

Okay, you didn't ask...but go look anyway. ;-)

He was supposed to be 100% mini-daschund. After about a month, it was very
clear he was part chihuahua as well. The breeder sold both mini-daschund
and chihuahas. :P"

--Tina

--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com
LiveChat: http://chat.affordablehost.com

Chris Garcia
2003-09-13 01:00:26 EST

> "Chris Garcia" <NcOhSrPiAsM@chrisgarcia.com> wrote in message
>>
>> yeah.. then it's probably a little too big in the "waist" too..
>>

> Do dogs even have waists?? lol

No clue, but i couldn't think of any other way to describe the
measurement.. ;)

> Anyway, since you asked, here's a pic of Jake:
>
> http://www.affordablehost.com/jake.jpg

Heh cute.

> Okay, you didn't ask...but go look anyway. ;-)

Likewise:

http://chrisgarcia.com/dogs/ (page w/ links to their photo albums)

> He was supposed to be 100% mini-daschund. After about a month, it was
> very clear he was part chihuahua as well. The breeder sold both
> mini-daschund and chihuahas. :P"

heh, both of our dogs are 100% mutt... both adopted..

Ginger: We adopted when we lived in Baton Rouge, LA. she was my wife's
(just my g/f at the time) anniversary present (we had talked about
getting a dog, and adopted her on our 1st anniversary of being a
couple).. She came to us with medication to de-worm, but had to go back
to the vet for more meds to de-worm her.. And other than having a tumor
removed from her ear, has lived in the lap of luxury since.

Leia: My wife had just started working at a vet clinic as a receptionist
about 9 months ago.. Two months before that, a woman brought 3 dogs in to
be boarded (she was going to the hospital for surgery) .. After surgery,
the woman came back, picked up only 2 dogs, leaving Leia there. She spent
two long months in a chain-link type dog run (she got walked and played
with of course) before my wife started working there. They convinced my
wife and I to adopt her (prev. owner signed her over) before the head
doctor found out about the dog being there for over 2 months. He would
have sent her to the JPSPCA, where they would have probably found her
unfit for adoption and euthanized her. (Reason being she growls and barks
at new people.. doesn't bite though.. absolutely scared of new people
though) .. Today, she's doing pretty good with new people.. A bit scared
at first, but she at least lets them pet her a little. She gets along
great with "Aunt" Mambo (http://www.jaygarcia.com/mambo.htm aka "My Mom's
Dog")

Oddly enough, they're both the same age (born sometime around late June
2000) .. and since we don't know an exact date, we just "celebrate" it on
June 25th

--
-Chris

http://www.ChrisGarcia.com <- My Homepage
http://www.chrisgarcia.com/cars/ <- *NEW* My cars
http://www.chrisgarcia.com/dogs/ <- *Sort-of NEW* My dogs
http://starwars.chrisgarcia.com/ <- Centerpoint Station, the "ghost-
town" of the Star Wars Universe!

Tina - AffordableHOST.com
2003-09-13 01:53:21 EST

> "Tina - AffordableHOST.com" <tina@affordablehost.com> decided to join
> the conversation on 12 Sep 2003 with message
>
> > "Chris Garcia" <NcOhSrPiAsM@chrisgarcia.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> yeah.. then it's probably a little too big in the "waist" too..
> >>

> > Do dogs even have waists?? lol
> >

> No clue, but i couldn't think of any other way to describe the
> measurement.. ;)
>

> > Anyway, since you asked, here's a pic of Jake:
> >
> > http://www.affordablehost.com/jake.jpg
> >

> Heh cute.
>
> > Okay, you didn't ask...but go look anyway. ;-)
> >

> Likewise:
>
> http://chrisgarcia.com/dogs/ (page w/ links to their photo albums)

Ha! I already peeked earlier today. ;-) Very sweet looking babies.

> > He was supposed to be 100% mini-daschund. After about a month, it was
> > very clear he was part chihuahua as well. The breeder sold both
> > mini-daschund and chihuahas. :P"
> >

> heh, both of our dogs are 100% mutt... both adopted..

*trying to look offended*

Nooooooo...I paid $200 for my mutt. :P"

Seriously, she charged me $200 because he was supposed to be a
mini-daschund. I later left her a phone message, and told her that I
absolutely did NOT want my money back because Jake is the best dog on the
entire planet...but that he's not purebred, like she said and he also was
prone to seizures (he had 3 in 2 months) and she might want to alert the
rest of the litter's owners. She never called me back.

> Ginger: We adopted when we lived in Baton Rouge, LA. she was my wife's
> (just my g/f at the time) anniversary present (we had talked about
> getting a dog, and adopted her on our 1st anniversary of being a
> couple).. She came to us with medication to de-worm, but had to go back
> to the vet for more meds to de-worm her.. And other than having a tumor
> removed from her ear, has lived in the lap of luxury since.

I LOVE the short coat on her. She's really a beautiful girl.

> Leia: My wife had just started working at a vet clinic as a receptionist
> about 9 months ago.. Two months before that, a woman brought 3 dogs in to
> be boarded (she was going to the hospital for surgery) .. After surgery,
> the woman came back, picked up only 2 dogs, leaving Leia there. She spent
> two long months in a chain-link type dog run (she got walked and played
> with of course) before my wife started working there. They convinced my
> wife and I to adopt her (prev. owner signed her over) before the head
> doctor found out about the dog being there for over 2 months. He would
> have sent her to the JPSPCA, where they would have probably found her
> unfit for adoption and euthanized her. (Reason being she growls and barks
> at new people.. doesn't bite though.. absolutely scared of new people
> though) ..

Is that why the former-owner abandoned her? Do you think maybe she was
abused?

> Oddly enough, they're both the same age (born sometime around late June
> 2000) .. and since we don't know an exact date, we just "celebrate" it on
> June 25th

Jake and my cat, Bob, were both born in the same month. They don't know
they aren't related...they are best buds. We celebrate their birthdays
together too. They'll be 1 year old next month. :-D

Last winter, whenever we went anywhere, I would just zip Jake up inside my
coat...this year, although he's still tiny, I don't think he'd fit
comfortably in there. I may resort to just making a custom hoodie for him.

--Tina

Kaabooo
2003-09-13 02:34:46 EST
> Anyone know of a site that has practical apparel for a small dog???
>
> --Tina

Well there's petsmart for starters!

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/shopping/apparel/sweaters%5F%5F%5Fshirts/products/product%5F31646.shtml

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/shopping/apparel/sweaters%5F%5F%5Fshirts/products/product%5F24368.shtml

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/shopping/apparel/sweaters%5F%5F%5Fshirts/products/product%5F24368.shtml

Then there's the marabou verions for a mere $80... lol...who buys that?

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/shopping/apparel/sweaters%5F%5F%5Fshirts/products/product%5F18535.shtml

Have fun,

Kate

Chris Garcia
2003-09-13 09:46:15 EST
"Tina - AffordableHOST.com" <tina@affordablehost.com> decided to join
the conversation on 13 Sep 2003 with message

> "Chris Garcia" <NcOhSrPiAsM@chrisgarcia.com> wrote in message
>> "Tina - AffordableHOST.com" <tina@affordablehost.com> decided to join
>> the conversation on 12 Sep 2003 with message
>>
>> > He was supposed to be 100% mini-daschund. After about a month, it
>> > was very clear he was part chihuahua as well. The breeder sold
>> > both mini-daschund and chihuahas. :P"
>> >

>> heh, both of our dogs are 100% mutt... both adopted..
>

> *trying to look offended*
>
> Nooooooo...I paid $200 for my mutt. :P"

Oh, don't worry.. I paid for mine... $60 to adopt (included the spay)..
$200-300 (iirc) for the laser surgery to remove the histiocytoma from her
ear.. $20-30 for the two de-worming treatments

> Seriously, she charged me $200 because he was supposed to be a
> mini-daschund. I later left her a phone message, and told her that I
> absolutely did NOT want my money back because Jake is the best dog on
> the entire planet...but that he's not purebred, like she said and he
> also was prone to seizures (he had 3 in 2 months) and she might want
> to alert the rest of the litter's owners. She never called me back.

Well, maybe she'll start breeding them like that.. the mini-chihundhund..
much like the cockapoo ;)

>> Leia:
>> (Reason being she growls and barks at new
>> people.. doesn't bite though.. absolutely scared of new people
>> though) ..
>
> Is that why the former-owner abandoned her? Do you think maybe she
> was abused?

It's possible.. i think the previous owner had mentioned at the clinic
that the owner before her (a guy, go figure) was abusive.. she seems to
have short term memory problems.. if a new person (she did it to me for
at least 3 or 4 days after we brought her home) manages to pet her and
she stops barking and growling at them... if they left the room and came
back in .. she'd start all over with the running away.. barking/growling,
etc

this labor day weekend we decided to try introducing her to a lot of
people.. really had to no choice.. we were going to a picnic out of
state, and were gone all day.. she did pretty good though.. she bark a
little bit, but everyone was able to at least pet her.. when most
everyone left, they (her "sister" ginger, and "aunt" mambo were there too
of course) got to run around the big yard.. they slept the whole 1 1/2
hour trip home.. whenever leia and mambo play, it becomes apparent that
leia is some sort of herding dog.. she'll always run on the "outside"
when turning and is always nipping mambo in the butt when they're
running.

> Last winter, whenever we went anywhere, I would just zip Jake up
> inside my coat...this year, although he's still tiny, I don't think
> he'd fit comfortably in there. I may resort to just making a custom
> hoodie for him.

I live just west of New Orleans, LA.. It gets *really* cold maybe 2 or 3
days of the year.. Leia should be all right (being a long haired dog) ..
Ginger has her neato jacket..