Dog Discussion: Flea Issue

Flea Issue

Joe
2005-01-31 23:42:38 EST
Hi, I'm new to the group. I have a 10 year old toy poodle, about 12
pounds. A few weeks ago he got fleas. The vet gave me Frontline, but
my dog (Tino), got worse. Today they gave me a pill which name escapes
me, and told me it would kill the fleas. Although I haven't seen any
fleas on him since he took the pill (so far), Tino's still itchin' and
scratchin' and i feel terrible for him. Would he still be itchy even
if the pill worked and did kill the fleas? I have no flea experience.
Could he be scratching the flea bites? Thanks for any replies.

This newsgroup looked like a disaster when I first subscribed but my
killfile has fixed that all up.

Diddy
2005-02-01 07:21:28 EST
in thread news:qr1uv0h2ns84i60b7rlh2ogs5s7lca5n99@4ax.com: Joe <joe@xyz.zz>
whittled the following words:

> Hi, I'm new to the group. I have a 10 year old toy poodle, about 12
> pounds. A few weeks ago he got fleas. <snip> Tino's still itchin' and
> scratchin'

Did you treat the area? There may be fleas in the environment and you are
seeing the live fleas jumping back on the dog.

Joe
2005-02-01 08:33:18 EST
On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 06:21:28 -0600, diddy <diddy@nospam.diddy.net>
wrote:

>in thread news:qr1uv0h2ns84i60b7rlh2ogs5s7lca5n99@4ax.com: Joe <joe@xyz.zz>
>whittled the following words:
>
>> Hi, I'm new to the group. I have a 10 year old toy poodle, about 12
>> pounds. A few weeks ago he got fleas. <snip> Tino's still itchin' and
>> scratchin'
>
>Did you treat the area? There may be fleas in the environment and you are
>seeing the live fleas jumping back on the dog.

My house? Geez, never considered that. How do I treat the house?

Diddy
2005-02-01 09:10:13 EST
in thread news:1m0vv01pfhqcn8ba0av6bgqatvl3t13d9b@4ax.com: Joe
<*e@xyz.zz> whittled the following words:

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 06:21:28 -0600, diddy <diddy@nospam.diddy.net>
> wrote:
>
>>in thread news:qr1uv0h2ns84i60b7rlh2ogs5s7lca5n99@4ax.com: Joe
>><joe@xyz.zz> whittled the following words:
>>
>>> Hi, I'm new to the group. I have a 10 year old toy poodle, about 12
>>> pounds. A few weeks ago he got fleas. <snip> Tino's still itchin'
>>> and scratchin'
>>
>>Did you treat the area? There may be fleas in the environment and you
>>are seeing the live fleas jumping back on the dog.
>
> My house? Geez, never considered that. How do I treat the house?

There are many area sprays that are very effective. You might consult your
vet for advisement.

Joe
2005-02-01 12:15:09 EST
On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 08:10:13 -0600, diddy <diddy@nospam.diddy.net>
wrote:

>in thread news:1m0vv01pfhqcn8ba0av6bgqatvl3t13d9b@4ax.com: Joe
><joe@xyz.zz> whittled the following words:
>
>> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 06:21:28 -0600, diddy <diddy@nospam.diddy.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>in thread news:qr1uv0h2ns84i60b7rlh2ogs5s7lca5n99@4ax.com: Joe
>>><joe@xyz.zz> whittled the following words:

>>>Did you treat the area? There may be fleas in the environment and you
>>>are seeing the live fleas jumping back on the dog.
>>
>> My house? Geez, never considered that. How do I treat the house?
>>

>There are many area sprays that are very effective. You might consult your
>vet for advisement.

What about the itching? If the fleas are off him, is it normal for him
to continue to itch?

Diddy
2005-02-01 12:21:43 EST
in thread news:8idvv0djr1vf83uhu3oho6b7h9jmibbkcb@4ax.com: Joe
<*e@xyz.zz> whittled the following words:

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 08:10:13 -0600, diddy <diddy@nospam.diddy.net>
> wrote:
>
>>in thread news:1m0vv01pfhqcn8ba0av6bgqatvl3t13d9b@4ax.com: Joe
>><joe@xyz.zz> whittled the following words:

>>> My house? Geez, never considered that. How do I treat the house?
>>>

>>There are many area sprays that are very effective. You might consult
>>your vet for advisement.
>
> What about the itching? If the fleas are off him, is it normal for him
> to continue to itch?

For a couple days, unless he has flea allergies, and then this might take a
couple weeks, as you try to keep him from scratching and setting up more
histamine reactions.