Dog Discussion: My Puppy Is Driving Me Insane

My Puppy Is Driving Me Insane

Chris
2003-09-11 22:00:04 EST
Hi,

I live on my own and work from home and have a 15 week old staffordshire
bull terrier.

She will get in the way of anything I am trying to do and if am busy and
ignoring her (i.e typing) she makes a nasty high pitch whimpering noise. I
go to print somthing and she attacks the printer, she will repetedly jump up
at my chair while I am typing and she will always try to bite anyone that
strokes her.

Tonight for example I had a couple of friends over to watch a film - she
wound jump everywhere, try to bite my friends, chew anything and chase her
tail in front of the TV. If I put her in a room out of the way she will cry
and whimper loudly and scratch at the door and it it intolorable! If only
you could hear it!

In the middle of the night she might decide to run up and down the stairs
repetedly which annoys me and the neighbours. I walk her twice aday and it
makes no difference to her mental behaiviour.

I love her to bits but I just wish she would calm down, be a good dog and
not make such a @!?:! noise all the time! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Chris

ZPL
2003-09-11 22:34:00 EST
She needs a job, or more exercise. As she is probably too little to "help"
you with anything (picking up dropped pens, etc.) she needs to be exhausted
a couple of time a day.

"Chris" <moviedeals2002@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I live on my own and work from home and have a 15 week old staffordshire
> bull terrier.
>
> She will get in the way of anything I am trying to do and if am busy and
> ignoring her (i.e typing) she makes a nasty high pitch whimpering noise. I
> go to print somthing and she attacks the printer, she will repetedly jump
up
> at my chair while I am typing and she will always try to bite anyone that
> strokes her.
>
> Tonight for example I had a couple of friends over to watch a film - she
> wound jump everywhere, try to bite my friends, chew anything and chase her
> tail in front of the TV. If I put her in a room out of the way she will
cry
> and whimper loudly and scratch at the door and it it intolorable! If only
> you could hear it!
>
> In the middle of the night she might decide to run up and down the stairs
> repetedly which annoys me and the neighbours. I walk her twice aday and it
> makes no difference to her mental behaiviour.
>
> I love her to bits but I just wish she would calm down, be a good dog and
> not make such a @!?:! noise all the time! Does anyone have any
suggestions?

> Many thanks,
> Chris

Jules Beaudoin
2003-09-11 23:48:11 EST
She needs a lot of attention. Apparently more than you can give her. I
think you made a bad decision on getting her. You have no time for her.

Diana
2003-09-12 04:12:16 EST

"Chris" <moviedeals2002@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
[..]

> I love her to bits but I just wish she would calm down, be a good dog and
> not make such a @!?:! noise all the time! Does anyone have any
suggestions?

> Many thanks,
> Chris

She's only being a puppy, but just like kids, she needs to be taught that no
all the time is appropriate play time.
Given the tone of your post it sounds like you are putting good effort in to
giving her exercise but now you must work on time out and settle down.

I too have a young puppy and its very difficult to keep her still and type
at the same time. I've just put her downstairs while I sorted out a lot of
stuff she was taking great delight in pulling off shelves and tearing up for
me, and the amount of stuff I've lost as I've rotated shelves according to
which area has attracted her keenest attention!

After tidying up, I went downstairs to bring her up again to find her
crashed out in her cage ~ sometimes it is easiest to let sleeping dogs lie!

My dog is going to be quite large, so obviously her cage is large and I
can't get it upstairs on my own, but if you have a cage for her you can
encourage her to play in there by putting in a few toys ~ ours has a tennis
ball on a rope attached to the inside and she loves to tug! She doesn't like
the door closed, which is fine, but she'll relax quite happily in there.

Frozen kongs are great mind occupiers as are raw beef marrow bones ~ ensure
that they are 'much' bigger than the dog could swallow and keep a close eye
on them for wear and sharding. if you save these treats for 'time out' time
you'll soon have her eagerly anticipating a little time out to chew on her
own rather than demanding attention from you.

Diana

Diana
2003-09-12 11:44:14 EST

"Jules Beaudoin" <cn8cg@ixpres.com> wrote in message
> She needs a lot of attention. Apparently more than you can give her. I
> think you made a bad decision on getting her. You have no time for her.

Please ignore this 'trolling' post.

Like toddlers, dogs will ask and ask and ask for more attention, and if you
give in to them you end up with one extremely obnoxious child / dog on your
hands.

Diana

The Puppy Wizard
2003-09-12 17:20:08 EST
HOWEDY lush,

SHOWENDS like you got the same same
same same PROBLEM.

"Diana" <diana@dogstuffagain.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Chris" <moviedeals2002@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> [..]
>

> > I love her to bits but I just wish she would calm down, be a
good dog and
> > not make such a @!?:! noise all the time! Does anyone have any
> suggestions?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > Chris
> >

> She's only being a puppy, but just like kids, she needs to be
taught that no
> all the time is appropriate play time.
> Given the tone of your post it sounds like you are putting good
effort in to
> giving her exercise but now you must work on time out and settle
down.

> I too have a young puppy and its very difficult to keep her
still and type
> at the same time. I've just put her downstairs while I sorted
out a lot of
> stuff she was taking great delight in pulling off shelves and
tearing up for
> me, and the amount of stuff I've lost as I've rotated shelves
according to
> which area has attracted her keenest attention!
>
> After tidying up, I went downstairs to bring her up again to
find her
> crashed out in her cage ~ sometimes it is easiest to let
sleeping dogs lie!

> My dog is going to be quite large, so obviously her cage is
large and I
> can't get it upstairs on my own, but if you have a cage for her
you can
> encourage her to play in there by putting in a few toys ~ ours
has a tennis
> ball on a rope attached to the inside and she loves to tug! She
doesn't like
> the door closed, which is fine, but she'll relax quite happily
in there.

> Frozen kongs are great mind occupiers as are raw beef marrow
bones ~ ensure
> that they are 'much' bigger than the dog could swallow and keep
a close eye
> on them for wear and sharding. if you save these treats for
'time out' time
> you'll soon have her eagerly anticipating a little time out to
chew on her
> own rather than demanding attention from you.
>
> Diana

The Puppy Wizard
2003-09-12 17:23:10 EST
HOWEDY lush,

Your own dog had destructive separation anxiety
and died from stress related DIS-EASE.

You're a liar and dog abuser, lush.

The Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >

Here's HOWER dog lover lush, before she found out she
was a Thug. Since then, she's been organizing complain
to Jerry's ISP campaigns:

Subject: "On A Mission To Hound Me Out After My Statement.
That Statement Being That I Actually Like Jerry And His
Stuff," lush

From: Diana (diana_pete.attwood@lineone.net)
Subject: whoa - very long but you asked for it.

Date: 2001-11-10 05:19:06 PST

Cheers, Sionnch,

I was getting a bit paranoid there and I did think you were
just all on a mission to hound me out after my statement.
I've got some time now so I will answer you questions as
it so obviously caused great upset amongst you all.

That statement being that I actually like Jerry and his stuff.

Read carefully if you interested, because I know how easy it
is to miss things, grab the wrong end of the stick etc &
misinterpret... done it myself a million times. It also goes
quite in depth about the dogs I lived with as a child and the
methods my parents used to train both the dogs and us.

I barely remember the Shelti my parents had when I was born
-apparently she died when I was about 2, but we got Ivan the
Samoyed (visually - not pure) when I was 3(ish). I do remember
even going to pick him up as a pup and there were little
fluffy baby dogs everywhere... some were black and I wanted a
black one but Dad said we had to have a white one because
Samoyeds were supposed to be white and we wanted it to look
like we had a pure samoyed - don't hang me here - remember it
clear as day but I was only about 3. We lived in Vancouver
then.. if anyone's interested. I loved Ivan - but he chewed
our toys. This made Dad mad so he would hit him so hard he
screamed and throw him down the stairs. Tony (brother) was a
toddler - but I remember that I had to look out for any toys,
both mine and his to make sure they would not be chewed and
those that were got, got hidden. His temper and excessive
punishments were not just for Ivan. I remember clearly one
morning being up before my parents and playing in the kitchen,
pretending to be mum, as kids do... but got caught with the
electric carving knife. A leather belt across the backside
hurts. Even now I can not understand how he could have done
that to a 3-4 year old child... or a pup.

When I was four my parents decided that they wanted to come
back to England and I remember hating the little girl who came
with her dad to take Ivan away and being told he would be her
dog now.

We came o England & stayed at Nan's for some time. Nan had
Sheba- beautiful but elderly Rough Collie. Was so passive and
quiet . Then one day I fell down the stairs. As I tumbled
down, she came up and caught me... at four I was feeling more
and more fearful of people but safe in the company of dogs.

We moved out of Nan's and in to our own home. It was a large
house & had a huge garden & was opposite a large public park -
I think I was about 51/2 when Dad brought home Tisha - a
Borzoi pup. She wet & messed the floor and was punished by
having her nose pushed in it, a slipper across the backside so
she yelped and being thrown outside, I didn't like this - I
was sure they didn't have to do this to her. Dad loved her -
she was his dog and we had to ask permission to touch her. He
liked his big car ~ posh dog image.

The garden was big, the fence was big - the park opposite was
fun the road in between was fast. Tisha got big and took a big
jump. She made 18 months.

The discussions went on - Dad wanted a dog for himself, so it
was decided that they were going to get an Old English
Sheepdog for them and a Basset for us kids... then we went
around to loads of breeders and saw loads of pups - dogs being
very my passion I took it all in. I remember the Old English
Sheepdog lady telling Mum why she thought we shouldn't have
one with 2 young children, and so it was decided that while
Dad made up his mind what he wanted, Mum would take us to the
RSPCA to choose a dog for us.

We picked up Sadie in 1976 - 4 months old JRT x. I was 7 - I
was unhappy at school, I had never settled in,at first being
shy of my different accent and because I was a timid child
anyway. Sadie was my olny friend. Sadie messed the floor,
Sadie got her nose shoved in it, and the whack - Sadie did not
learn - she was so scared of people coming down the stairs in
the morning that she wet & messed the floor - so they hit her.
I would try and sneak down and tidy up before they came down -
I would get hit for being soft on her.

Sadie pulled on the lead. I never mentioned mum was a horse
fanatic ~ she showed me that the way to stop Sadie pulling was
to snap a shoot from a tree and use it as a whip on the dogs
nose. I didn't like it but I knew no better - I was
desperately looking for a better method - it was my job to
walk her after school.

Barbara Woodhouse came on tv... my love of dogs and all I had
learnt about breeds now extended and I learnt about choke
collars - much preferable to the whip - I also saw how she
used methods such as copying the dogs play stance and how she
had commended someone for using my trick of rubbing a dogs
chest to calm it - I was dead proud because I had already
learnt that for myself.

Sadie was a JRT x. She was also as afraid of my bad tempered
and unreasonable father as I was. We spent so much time curled
together, cowering behind the sofa.

I had always thought it would be great if I could teach Sadie
to speak. She got pretty good at the jumps and obedience games
we played in the garden and I was learning bout how to ask her
to do these things using enthusiasm as the motivation. 'Look,
come on, we can do this...' I wish my parents could have
looked out of the window to see this.

I was 9 when Mum got taken in to hospital to have Jonny.
Something had gone wrong and she was in there for 3 months.
Sadie went to kennels, Me & Tony went to Nan's.

Sheba had long since gone and she had Bridie, another rough
collie. Bridie had a long, long pedigree - she also had a
long, long nose... so long she could not close her mouth
properly. For a young dog she may have looked beautiful but
she couldn't / wouldn't do anything.I would walk her and
should float along behind - I had always dreamt of breeding
Old English Mastiffs when I was grown up. I decided I no
longer liked the idea of breeding beautiful pedigrees.

Jonny was born and we all came home. Sadie loved the baby. She
would, at any time when we were together, take my hand in her
mouth and take me to the crib, which she would stand up
against, watching. I realised that this was my childhood dream
- Sadie was talking to me. I realised then too that she had
been all along. It was my fault for not listening.

Dad's business started going wrong. We had to sell the house.
Sadie went to kennels & we moved around in rented
accommodation for a while. Sadie was my only friend and I
missed her. Eventually we found a place where Sadie could
come. It was great to have her back but she had been
disturbed. She had never been totally housetrained - due to
her fear of punishment - Dad's failing business made him even
worse & his bad temper was becoming more & more viscous. Sadie
messed the floor, Sadie jumped on the kitchen counter & stole
food, Sadie's punishments were beatings so bad I thought he'd
kill her. I would scream & cry, I would get some to.

Eventually, by the time I was 10 we found a cottage they could
afford and Dad started his business again. He struggled &
struggled and was becoming nastier and nastier. We all just
kept out of the way. Mum & Dad would go out to the Pub and I
would look after my brothers - while they were out we were
fine. Luckily they were out a lot. I was 14 when Dulcie, my
sister was born. I couldn't see why they did this - I was
already pretty much the only mother Jonny knew, Dad's business
was failing again and we had to sell the house again. Rented
accommodation again - no dogs. Sadie went to stay at Dad's
business property for a while. It was a fair way away and I
went with Dad to work on Saturdays when I could - but he
didn't want me there. I saw her loose her 'terrierness' and
she looked so sad - then Mum took her to kennels, this time
for good. I was completely broken by this but could do nothing
else.

Things got worse & to be honest I blocked most of my memory of
the in-between years. I jumped into the first job I could get
to get me away from home as soon as possible & not so much
chose a career as made an escape. I left home but was so hard
up I worked day & night just for rent and food. I was doing
hairdressing - poor choice for a young girl nigh on phobic of
people. It did help bring me back out of myself but I knew I
was playing the wrong game. My boss at the hairdressers found
me the job at the sign makers and I was finally able to start
doing what I was good at. Unfortunately just in time for the
early 90's recession... so for the love of the job I struggled
on low wages and living in bedsits

All this time I could not have a dog. I needed a stable home
environment & I struggled & struggled on low wages just hoping
this dream would come true... In between time everybody's dog
was my dog. I was always willing to walk them & learn from
them. People were always happy to get out of walkies if there
was a willing volunteer... and I realised how much Sadie had
taught me. From JRT's to Rotties & Danes.. they responded to
enthusiasm, eye contact and body stance.

It never, ever occurred to me that you could get job as a dog
trainer except for in the police or army...

I had learnt my own ways of handling dogs, from dogs... not
problem dogs or aggressive dogs but generally peoples pets who
generally appreciated the attention.

I met Pete, we bought our home and I begged, bribed near
enough blackmailed my boss to let me bring a dog to work -
much of it on the grounds that I had worked beside him and
helped him through the grey days of recession - it was payback
time. He gave in & we got Stone.

She knew 'sit', she knew 'stay' and she was pretty good on the
lead. No was the stop it command ~ and on command she would
stop. She was, as I have mentioned many times before, in a
real mess both physically & emotionally, but we worked on this
on the basis that we only ever offered a 'no' when it was for
reasons of her own safety and offered her lots and lots of
praise - just for being there. Her confidence grew -

Eventually - behaviour became a popular thing on TV and I
could see 'behaviourists' putting methods in to play that I
had already used - namely Barking Mad (BBC TV) My interest in
this side started a revival and I started looking around the
internet. Then discovered alt.animals.dog and could share a
few of my ideas - Stone's problem with her flank sucking
really became an issue in May this year. Looking for an answer
which no one in my ng could help me with I started looking at
the others - inc. this one. I posted My Girl here in about
July time and had a few responses - I got sent Jerry's book
and for the very first time I read a completely passive means
of dog training. I think of Ivan, I think of poor Sadie...
and I talk to people and hear them tell me of the time they
had to beat there dog for chewing or running off... and I know
from Sadie and I know from Stone that it is not necessary -
but then without showing them it's hard to prove it and too,
with all theory and no practice it's hard to make it sound
like a real means whereas they watch uncle Matty work miracles
with his choke collar and they love the convenience of crating
their dogs - so to prove it I need to come here and put these
ideas across and learn from them.

I hope that gives you good insight as to why I like jerry's
book.

As for Jerry himself, when I thanked him for his book he was
as nice a person as one could communicate with. I see that he
is sometimes nasty, I can see that it's a pain ~ but too can I
see that in his mind he's standing up for the likes of poor
Ivan & Sadie.. and even to a degree me as a young girl.

That's not what I want... but I can see why. His sanity?

Questionable, as probably too is my own. It's taken me a long
long time to be able to stand up on my own and say and do as I
believe rather than hiding in shadows - a right I am not now
going to give up quickly...

Jerry has got good stuff to say -

I can see also that some things may be questionable or could
be improved upon but the concept of a completely passive means
of working with dogs, or indeed any animal, has got to be an
ideal worth reaching for.
http://website.lineone.net/~diana_pete.attwood

> "Jules Beaudoin" <cn8cg@ixpres.com> wrote in message
> > She needs a lot of attention. Apparently more than you can
give her. I
> > think you made a bad decision on getting her. You have no
time for her.

> Please ignore this 'trolling' post.
>
> Like toddlers, dogs will ask and ask and ask for more attention,
and if you
> give in to them you end up with one extremely obnoxious child /
dog on your
> hands.
>
> Diana

Me
2003-09-13 00:04:18 EST
Have you tried crate training for naptime/bedtime?

The Puppy Wizard
2003-09-13 14:30:36 EST
Have you read "Crate Training JERRYIZED?":

"me" <meohmy@me.net> wrote in message
> Have you tried crate training for naptime/bedtime?

Crate Training, JERRYIZED

HOWEDY janet,

"J1Boss" <j1boss@aol.com> wrote in message

> As far as crating overnight, I don't see a huge
> difference in a dog sleeping in her crate in the
> bedroom vs a dog who stays in a dog bed all night.

Right. That's HOWE COME your dogs spend 20 hours
a day locked in the box, because you can't TRAIN them,
janet. You're a dog abuser, janet.

> Which is what mine do -

HOWE'S Franklin recouperating from eatin your filthy
undies and gettin abdominal surgery and escaping
his crate???

> they go to bed and stay there, all night, every night.

Duh-oh! They're locked in the box, janet. They got no choice.
That makes dogs hyperactive and out of control when they're
let outta the box, janet.

When the dog lives in the box IT doesn't think of YOUR HOWES
as HIS. YOUR HOWES is his territory to roam and foul, janet.

Every thing you thought you knew about training dogs is exactly
what causes the behavior problems you and your "students" have.

> Bedtime is for SLEEPING.

Right. So you lock your dogs in the box cause they'll crap
all over the HOWES if you don't walk them every two hours.
Or less... BWWWHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

> A crate is merely a safe bed.

Safe from WHAT, janet? Safe from YOU perhaps, unless
you've left the long line on its pronged spiked pinch choke
collar so you can jerk and choke it for barking and crying.

> I could pretty much "crate" my dogs on their loveseat
> all day (approximately 42" long seating, shared),

Yeah. HOWE COME you didn't park Franklin there
when he was comin outta surgery? HOWE COME your
dogs steal and swallow everything they can get?

Oh, I know HOWE COME!!! That's on account of you
puppyproof the HOWES because you can't train the
dog not to destroy it.

> because that's where they seem to spend the entire day,

Duh-Oh! Cause they're LOCKED IN, janet. Your dogs
are not trustworthy in the HOWES.

> with brief periods of going to the door to bark (Lucy only -
> Franklin doesn't care what's going on out front!).

That's on account of Franklin doesn't live in your HOWES,
he lives in the box because he's hyperactive and out of
control. Your kat even attacks you for punishing him...

> They have full run of the house of course,

Except during the nite and day...

> but they don't even seem to ever leave the lower level,
> by their own choice.

Because they're locked in their boxes, janet. Oh, unless
they're outside baking to death in the sun cause they wanted
to be out in 104 degree heat instead of inside in the AC...

Or did you FORGET THAT TOO?

From: The Puppy Wizard (jhowe2@bellsouth.net)
Subject: "Crate Training" JERRYIZED
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.behavior, alt.pets.dogs.aussies,
alt.med.veterinary, alt.animals.dogs.collies.open-forum,
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Date: 2002-08-18 12:47:27 PST

HOWEDY People,

Here's HOWE COME tara o killed her dog Summer:

August 9, 01

HOWEDY tara,

"Tara O." <tara29401@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I used to have a rottie as well and she did the same exact thing

No doubt. Your present dog has had a lot of behavior problems too.
Remember a couple months ago when you wanted to go visit
grandma's?
You were in quite a jam, what with you not allowed to take your
out of
control dog over there, and not being able to leave her behind
with
your ex and your daughter, because of her separation anxiety
panic.
Remember?

It didn't actually begin till your ex couldn't get Summer into her
crate? You had to return to kennel her up for the nite. And when
you
returned, Summer was seemingly sick enough that you were
considering
taking her to the vet a couple of days later.

I told you that was all going to happen, and why. And it did, just
as
Jerry said it would, cause Jerry knows dog behavior and what makes
these little behavior problems happen. That's HOWE COME these
sorts of
behavior problems and others, do not happen to Jerry's student's
dogs,
because Jerry's students don't confront or punish or scold or
conflict
with their dogs, because what happens in these sorts of behavior
problems, is usually caused entirely by our handler's ERRORS and
are
PREDICTABLE and PREVENTABLE and TRAINABLE if they should surface.

> starting around age 1 and stopping around age 2.5.

An excellent point! Chewing in an adult dog (after teething) is an
ANXIETY relief mechanism, not functional or recreational chewing,
but
a BEHAVIOR PROBLEM caused directly by the hander's ineffective and
inappropriate efforts to control dog behaviors....

> There could be a number of reasons behind her chewing.

Mishandling, arguments in the family, corrections of any kind,
crating, yes, crating can be major cause of or exacerbate
compulsive
anxiety chewing, hyperactivity, obsessive barking, digging,
whining,
pacing, shyness, aggression, self mutilation, intestinal and
digestive
disorders, and seizure activity.

> She could be anxious like someone else said,

No. Could be the punishment she gets for chewing which she doesn't
have the intellectual capacity or innate ability to understand?

> she could be bored,

No. Bored dogs SLEEP. That's why they call it boredom, instead of
hyperactivity... If the dog gets bored and wants something to do
besides sleep, the normal dog will perhaps engage in normal
chewing
behavior, not attack your goddamned couch and put holes through
your
drapes trying to escape.

> she could be a combination of both

Could be that they're both mutually incompatible behaviors.

> or it could just be adolesent misbehavior.

Oh yes! Another EXCELLENT point. That predictable adolescent
rebellious stage is not normal, is not mandatory, but is caused by
the
handler or pack members challenging the pup. As the puppy dog
begins
to mature, Nature tells the pup it's time to leave home and the
control of mommy, to avoid inbreeding, because that's Natural Law.
At
that stage, the puppy dog is not reliant on mommy, and seeks to
find a
pack of his own.

Being held captive and being driven by Mother Nature to establish
his
own pack, the puppy dog challenges the authority of his youth,
just as
young adult criminal reject their stringient updragging, according
the Sep 97 article in Journal of Psych.

Fighting will provoke the young to leave their HOWESES, if
perpetuating the species does not inspire them. Either way, the
rebellious dog is looking to be self reliant and lead his own
pack.
That's HOWE COME Jerry does not challenge dogs for "authority,"
because the outcome is PREDICTABLE, it's Natural Law. We are
bound to lose when we challenge SURVIVAL INSTINCT, and call
Mother Nature a LIAR.

> My rottie had the irritating habit of getting into the trash can
and
> shredding everything inside when we went to work.

Wasn't irritating to him. Trash bin raiding is FUN, and
fortunately,
it's usually pretty EZ to break, using distraction and praise
techniques. But scolding the dog for doin it tells him he's got a
powerful control over you. And it gives him something to worry
about
not being able to control himself NOT to do the next time you go
out,
so the dog is likely to find another anxiety relief mechanism,
like
destroying your sofa...or just masturbating furiously on the
cushions,
as our professor SCRUFF SHAKE'S little Magnificient Masturbator
Maxie does, casue our good professor punishes ITS behavior, and
not
the dog...sez Gunga Din.

> My husband used to hit her as well

And you recognized that problem and dealt with it.

> although not punching

That's subjective. ANY physical or emotional confrontation is
PROBLEMATICAL, COUNTER PRODUCTIVE, IRRESPONSIBLE,
UNNECESSARY, CRUEL, and DEAD WRONG. I intend to see it made
ILLEGAL and PROSECUTED VIGOROUSLY in EVERY STATE, as
THIS is The SYNDROME which causes all child and animal behavior
problems..

> (he has since learned the error of those ways).

Good for him. A lot of folks don't think that KIND of behavior
problem
can be reconditioned or rehabilitated, but I've seen successful
results with some hard core cases. It's just a little matter of
education and conditioning, like we're doin here on my forums.

> She was an angel when we were home but a demon when we were
> gone.

That's not unusual. It usually takes my students a couple of days
expiate separation anxiety using the techniques taught in the FREE
Wits' End Dog Training Method manual, in particular the Surrogate
Toy
Separation Anxiety Technique

Were you posting when THAT was being discussed here? Your friends
cindymooreon and professor lying doc "scruff shake" dermer were
having
a grand time making fun of saying good bye to a stuffed toy,
asking if
saying good bye to a Barbie doll or a telephone book would suffice
in
stead of a stuffed chew toy or whatever...

Boy! You shoulda seen 'em clam up when Marilyn wrote in and told
us my
Surrogate Toy Separation Anxiety / Bedtime Calming Technique
worked
the first time it was tried on a seriously destructive S/A dog
belonging to her student.

Then she really twisted the knife, by saying HOWE grateful her
students were that they was in TEARS of JOY knowing they would
never again need to worry about having to give up their formerly
extremely destructive little chewer.

> She had toys,

I recommend one per room or section of the house.

> she was allowed on all the furniture,

Some experts would say that's being overly permissive and demeans
you
in your dog's eyes, but I don't buy into that, and besides, I'm
not an
expert. Heel, I can't even use most of the TOOLS our experts rely
on
to make their dogs work.

> she had views to all sides of the house from inside,

Our experts would tell you to block the dog's view, and I would
agree,
not being familiar with avoiding behavior problems myself because
usually just immediately train the behavior problem away in a
couple
of minutes once I've detected potential problem behaviors.

> she had music,

Yeah, well music is good. My dogs love Reggae. But I turn the
radio on
to a talk station so's to cover up human voices from outside, and
throw on the old Doggy Do Right (And Kitty Will And A Rooster Did
Too)
machine, and the pups are content just like grammar was baby
sitting
them, but without having to drive her home.

> tv, you name it,

Just a little talk radio and DDR is what works. The radio is
optional.

> she probably had it at one time or another.

Yes, overindulged, spoiled, just like my dogs. But HOWE COME you
got a
heap of behavior problems, and my dogs seldom do anything they're
not
supposed to do, and most certainly not just because the Kat is
away...

> Luckily

INDEED! Another excellent choice of dog training TOOLS. That's
what
our "experts" here rely upon most, SHEER LUCK.

> we didn't own anything nice at the time so we dealt with the
> behavior until it ran its course.

Yeah, that wouldn't serve my students well at all... I'd STARVE.

> Looking back,

Cringe?

> I would've crated her

Yes, like you've done to Summer.

> if I'd thought of it.

INDEED. Thinking, rationalizing, and problem solving are learned
qualities. It says so in the FREE Wits' End Dog Training Method
manual.

> Back then, crate training wasn't big in my area so it wasn't
> considered an option.

No kiddin? Back when I started training, nobody crated dogs until
they
were about to go on the airplane, with just a few minutes of
introduction to the crate. The reason crating a dog is THAT EZ, is
because properly handled and trained dogs do not object to being
crated.

UNTRAINED dogs object to being crated. THAT'S the problem for
"crate
training." Crate training is an oxymoron. There are NO ordinary
training problems the crate can be a benefit or a solution for.

Locking dogs in crates isolates and worries them. The react from
fear,
not from being "spoiled." That fear anxiety is real, and is
destructive to the temperament and disposition of the dog.

Crating untrained dogs makes them anxious, hyperactive, shy,
aggressive, bark, dig, chew, self mutilate, and LITERALLY eat
their
guts out, like the dog throwing up thread of this week, the dog
who
pukes every time they put him in his crate to leave the house.
Your
pals told them to IGNORE the puking, and "crate train" the dog and
he'd get over it. Well good buddy, dogs DON'T get over extreme
anxiety
any easier than our Gang Of Thugs gets over a case of JERRYIZING.

> You may want to consider this for the times you leave.

And the behavior could be reinforced or change to other, often
worse,
seemingly non related behavior problems as transfer or replacement
behaviors.

> Oh, a poster named Jerry will probably come in and

Give you the very best advice available anywhere in the world, for
FREE.

> maliciously attack any of us

No tara. I couldn't care less about you and your lying dog abusing
Thug pals. I don't attack you pukes. I don't make personal
confrontation with you Thugs. No. I don't have any personal
animosity
towards our "experts" who hurt and kill dogs because they don't
have
the intellect to outwit the cunning of the domestic puppy dog.

No, this is nothing PERSONAL, like when janet boss overlooked two
shock containment devices that made the little dog in "interested
in
hearing" become hand/collar shy and aggressive to strangers. She
killed that dog aa sure as if she'd dropped the hammer on him
herself.

No tara. This isn't nuthin personal. This is strictly
professional.
Your pals are hurting and killing dogs inappropriately and
unnecessarily, and telling folks not to believe ME and Marilyn and
Canis55 and Paul and Misty and Robert Crim, you remember Robert
Crim
and his DEAD dog Fritz? Do you remember steve walker and his DEAD
dog
Sampson? We knew and told him that confronting Sampson would make
him
aggressive towards the children. Your pals convinced him to
confront
his dog, and that's what made Sampson "fear aggressive" towards
SMALL
children and got him DEAD.

That was PREDICTABLE. Just as Fritz buyin the farm, was
PREDICTABLE.
And Cubbe snapping at a child. Did you read the thread "1 step
forward" where Cubbe snapped at a child as they stepped into her
SHOCK
ZONE because she'd got shocked the previous day? She'll have
another
incident and get DEAD just like Fritz and Sampson did. The first
thing
lia did was run out to replace her shock collar batteries and ask
us
if we thought she should go back to more forceful training to
break
Cubbe of running away and aggression problems...

> who suggest crating their dogs.

Nah. I don't have any problem for crating TRAINED dogs. Untrained
dogs
become severely distressed when crated inappropriately.

> Just a heads-up.

INDEED. Heads up. Like that day the guy wrote in with an
aggressive
golden he was going to destroy, so I offered to adopt him because
he
was dangerous. Your pal ed w of pet loss dot CON told him lies
about
me, and scared the guy into KILLING his dog instead of giving me a
chance to help him. I'll see if I can find the thread and post it
for
you to see what your pals are really doing to HELP here.

Your "expert" rpdb pals are mostly koehler and/or shock collar
trainers. They're self appointed "experts" because they know HOWE
jerk and choke dogs PROPERLY on pronged spiked pinch choke
collars,
shock collars, and ear and toe and testicle pinching and twisting
and
beating dogs with sticks to motivate them and chin cuff and scruff
shake and that's the extent of their dog training expertise.

That's HOWE COME I came in here, to identify, expose, discredit,
and
dispense with, your lying, dog abusing Thugs who've conspired for
years to repress non force training methods to defend their
alleged
right to hurt dogs, based on their "expertise." They're AFRAID
that if
non force methods are proven to be as fast, safe, and effective as
they are, our Thugs won't be able to justify and rationalize
HURTING
dogs noMOORE.

Well, it's game time, folks. You've been proven not to have
expertise,
not to have tools, not to have advice to train a dog without
hurting
him, not to suffer the trapping of morals, ethics, principles,
human
decency or integrity.

Certainly our "experts" wouldn't hurt a dog to train him if they
had
the intellect to outwit a puppy dog, would they?

Answer THAT, and I rest my case. Otherwise, I'll keep at it till
everyone else answers that for you, and laws are passed to protect
our
people and their dogs from scum like you and your pals who hurt
and
kill dogs because you're AFRAID of their behaviors, like biting
their
"trainers" for jerking and choking them.

> Tara O.

"Anthony Testa" <testa52601@aol.com wrote in message
news: c603fe9c.0203260607.77c283ce@posting.google.com...
I moved to Jacksonville, Florida about a year ago with my lovely
wife
linda. 3 times a week for 7 months I visited the Dog shelter and
Humane Society looking for a German Shepherd. There were several
times
they had a dog there, but I was looking for a bitch. The reason
for
this is, all my life I have always had a female German shepard.
Therefore, I wanted another one. Finally about 6 weeks ago, I
found
her. "Angel" looked just like my previous dog of 12 years. I
called m
wife, she came down and fell in love with her immediately.

We filled out the paper work and left the Humane Society with her.
We
drove directly to Pet Smart to buy all the essentials. We bought
the
biggest crate available. Let it be known I have never used a crate
with any of my previous dogs. The biggest difference is my other
dogs
I had from puppy age. Angel just turned 2, 3 days before adoption.

Angel appeared to be happy the trip home. Her ears were down all
the
time and her tail was so far between her legs that it looked like
she
had 3 ears. (humor)

None the less, we knew we had a dog that was insecure.

The first night we let Angel sleep in the living room. However, we
had
to go to work the next day. We pet her, kissed her and put her in
the
crate in the middle of the living room. During the day, my sons
came
home to walk her, give her a little loving and play with her. Then
put
her back in the crate and go to work. When we got home the first
day,
everything in the crate was ripped to shreds. The neighbors
approached us and said that the dogs barked constantly for 3
hours.
then barked continuously after my sons left again. We thought it
was
because everything was new. We were wrong. The dig did this every
day
for 4 days.

The 4th day was our first scheduled visit with the vet. The vet
told
us he can see that the dog is suffering from a abuse and
separation
anxiety. So, the vet puts the dog on clomicalm. (not sure of the
spelling). Well, for two days the dog walked around like Jerry
Garcia
on a Friday night after a concert, stoned! However, we were home
with her the entire weekend.

We crated her for work and came home to a barking dog, ripped
bedding
in the crate, upset neighbors and the plastic bottom of the crate
completely torn to bits. It was obvious that crating was not a
good
thing.

The next day we decided to leave her out of the crate to see what
would happen. What a major mistake. We came home to almost $1,000
in
damage. Furniture, the blinds were all chewed and torn down, etc.

The next day we put her in the crate again. This time we came home
a nice 2' x 3' hole in our carpet in the middle of the living
room,
right down to the cement. I told my wife that we cannot afford to
keep
this dog. We should go out and get a puppy. She was upset and said
there must be something we can do. I told her this. " I will go on
the
internet and see what is available". I was desperate and wanted to
see
if there was someone who could help.

We read the information about the DDR and emailed Jerry. Jerry was
kind enough to give us his phone number to discuss Angel in more
detail. First, at no cost he sent us his manual. We started doing
exactly what he said to do in the manual.

Exactly as we did was was written, the results were exactly as he
said it would be. Then we purchased the DDR. This is an amazing
god send to us. First of all, Jerry sent it to us without paying.
(thanks for that gesture)

This has such and AMAZING effect. This testimonial is kind of
winded
so I will say this...... Jerry's product literally saved this dogs
life.

Angel can be left alone during the day. NO CRATE. The dog shows
absolutely no sign of anxiety at all. Jerry told us the product
works
immediately and it did! She does not bark at all during the day
except
when the mailman drops mail into the slot on the door. The manual
for
training works exactly as it says!

We told our vet about this and he said that there are all kind of
gimmicks. I told my vet that as a person who holds a degree of
higher
education, there just are some things they don't have in the text
books and he should be receptive to that. We are proof. Angel was
one
day from going back to the humane society.

Listen to this... My wife wrote one of the so called know it all
of
pets. His response to the exact letter we initially wrote to
Jerry..."Get rid of the dog, bring her back" I'll save this person
embarrassment by not saying the name. However, you know who you
are
and I have this to say to you. Go pump gas or bus tables because
you
sir, do not belong working with animals!

Jerry, after reading some of the threads in the news group, I
can't
for the life of me understand why this many people are so dang
blind
or ignorant.

You just keep plugging away at what you do, because you my friend
are
a life saver!!!

Anytime you need someone to speak about the results of your
product,
you have my number. We would gladly talk to them.

Thank you very much for all your help. God bless you...

Anthony & Linda Testa
Jacksonville, Florida

===================

"Anthony Testa" <testa52601@aol.com wrote in message
news: c603fe9c.0203291546.2365f8fa@posting.google.com...
m*w@bangnetcom.com (Mark Shaw) wrote in message
In article <c603fe9c.0203260607.77c283ce@posting.google.com,
t*1@aol.com (Anthony Testa) wrote:
[...]

Jerry, after reading some of the threads in the news group, I
can't
for the life of me understand why this many people are so dang
blind
or ignorant.

You just keep plugging away at what you do, because you my friend
are
a life saver!!!

> Okay, who the heck ARE you, really?

Who am I? My real name is posted. The story you have read is true.
We
were at witts end, found Jerry's web page by happenstance, wrote
him almost exactly what you read, he gave me his suggestions, told
me
what my results would be including a time line and, you know what?
He
was and still is, right on the money. I don't care if he's a
warlock,
a professor, disgruntled Entomologist, or a man with a niche that
makes the sciences itchy, he saved the day AND a dog's life.

We were given suggestions from Medication, to a Behavioral
Specialist.
I decided that instead of creating a Jerry Garcia or pay 125.00
dollars an hour for my dog to lay on a couch to be freudiated, I
decided Jerry Howe's method seemed to be more humane and serene.
It
worked, end of
story.

A. Testa

=====================

Eliska
2003-09-13 19:41:53 EST
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 03:00:04 +0100, "Chris" <moviedeals2002@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I live on my own and work from home and have a 15 week old staffordshire
>bull terrier.

snip
>I love her to bits but I just wish she would calm down, be a good dog and
>not make such a @!?:! noise all the time! Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
>Many thanks,
>Chris

In a couple months you can take her to doggie training school That will help. But it's not
too early to start disciplining her. Set boundaries. Tell her no firmly and redirect her
when she does things she's not supposed to do.

Also - in addition to her walks - make time once an hour to give her undivided attention
for a few minutes. Play with her - get down on the floor with her. You'll love her even
more when you realize what a stress reducer that is for you and what a joy that is for
her.

Eliska

http://www.ArtChiK.com

Portraits of Pets and People