Dog Discussion: What's The Best Breed To Get For Small Children?

What's The Best Breed To Get For Small Children?

Mr. Mike
2003-09-11 01:13:48 EST
m*e@aramark-uniform.net

A. B.
2003-09-11 04:49:59 EST
Dear Mike,

Hi! First of all, let me thank you for posting such a question on the
newsgroup. A lot of people don't do that and land up in sorry
situations; depressing either because their kids got hurt, in worst
cases, got killed or if then, the dog has to be put down. Either ways,
it is a sad thing that happens. But I am glad you did post such a question.

I'll try to help you here...

First of all, how old are your children? This is a *very* crucial factor.

Secondly, from your question: Is it safe for me to assume that you have
not had a dog before?

OK, regarding which dog: It is a very difficult question to answer and
depends a lot on the age of your children and also if you have had any
dog experience. Keeping in mind that you have young children and
assuming that you have little or no experience in handling dogs, I would
avoid completely (both pups & especially older dogs) of some of the
following breeds: German Shepherds, Doberman, Rottweilers, Akitas,
Alaskan Malamutes, Basenji, Anatolian Shepherd Dog, etc.

Don't get me wrong. These are wonderful dogs, in fact, excellent.
However, some of these dogs are better off in the hands of somebody who
has experience in keeping them and handling them. Most of these dogs are
very good even with children, however, that is the case when they have
been either introduced in to the family as a pup or the children are
sufficiently big.

Essentially, you want a dog that is experienced around children and my
recommendation to you would be a golden retriever or a labrador. They
are in the range of medium to slightly big. Beagle, Cavalier King
Charles Spaniel are OK as well.

You may question why I do not recommend some of the smaller breeds.
That's because smaller breeds do not nescessarily mean better and easier
temperaments. Some of them snip at the slightest provocation and usually
in play as well. So, if you have toddlers around the house, I would
totally avoid some of them.

I would prefer a pup if I had young kids at home and they could grow
together. But older dogs are equally excellent. If you are acquiring an
older dog, find out its background. Has the family had children? Why are
they giving it up? If the kennel does not have the answers to these
questions, look out at another kennel. You can get an older dog, but
monitor the dog for atleast a month and supervise all times with
children, at least for the next 6 months.

BUT, IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES, DO NOT LEAVE KIDS ALONE WITH CHILDREN. NO WAY.

Only idiots do that and then they blame dogs. There was this particular
incident in Britain where the grandparents acquired a *6* year old
Dalmation dog for the *4* year old kid who insisted on having one after
she saw 101 Dalmatians. People can't get any stupider than that. And the
mother of the kid who left the kid alone with the dog. *Something surely
happened* and the dog landed up snapping and biting the kid and leaving
the kid scarred. The Dalmatian was euthanised. A very sad ending to a
very sad start, should I say a very stupid start. Dalmatians don't bite
unless provoked. But they have a mind of their own as well and need
somebody who has experience to handle them. There have been instances
where a Pomeranian has killed a toddler. So, DO NOT LEAVE KIDS ALONE
WITH CHILDREN. NO WAY.

Do you have some particular breeds in mind? If yes, I would be glad to
address some of the questions.

Thank you very much.

With best regards,
Benni

A. B.
2003-09-11 04:53:22 EST

Mr. Mike wrote:
> mike@aramark-uniform.net

A. B.
2003-09-11 04:58:27 EST

Mr. Mike wrote:
> mike@aramark-uniform.net

Chris Garcia
2003-09-11 16:13:16 EST
"A. B." <user@nospam.fi> decided to join the conversation on 11 Sep 2003
with message news:3F6035B9.5070702@nospam.fi:

> I would
> avoid completely (both pups & especially older dogs) of some of the
> following breeds: German Shepherds, Doberman, Rottweilers, Akitas,
> Alaskan Malamutes, Basenji, Anatolian Shepherd Dog, etc.
>
> Don't get me wrong. These are wonderful dogs, in fact, excellent.
> However, some of these dogs are better off in the hands of somebody
> who has experience in keeping them and handling them. Most of these
> dogs are very good even with children, however, that is the case when
> they have been either introduced in to the family as a pup or the
> children are sufficiently big.

We had a German Shepherd when i was a kid, from age 5 until i was 19...
Gentlest dog I've ever known. This didn't help her to be a good guard
dog (couple lawnmowers were stolen on her watch), but she was an awesome
companion. I gotta get some pics of her on my website.

I'm not saying that German Shepherds would be good around kids.. Just
adding my commentary ;)

--
-Chris

http://www.ChrisGarcia.com <- My Homepage
http://www.chrisgarcia.com/cars/ <- *NEW* My cars
http://www.chrisgarcia.com/dogs/ <- *Sort-of NEW* My dogs
http://starwars.chrisgarcia.com/ <- Centerpoint Station, the
"ghost-town" of the Star Wars Universe!

A. B.
2003-09-12 07:03:55 EST
Hi Chris,

Agree. They can be the gentlest and if introduced properly. An adult GSD
, not accustomed to children, may not be outrightly dangerous, but
would be better off in the hands of owners that have had experience with
them.

Cheers,
Benni

Chris Garcia wrote:
> "A. B." <user@nospam.fi> decided to join the conversation on 11 Sep 2003
> with message news:3F6035B9.5070702@nospam.fi:
>

>>I would
>>avoid completely (both pups & especially older dogs) of some of the
>>following breeds: German Shepherds, Doberman, Rottweilers, Akitas,
>>Alaskan Malamutes, Basenji, Anatolian Shepherd Dog, etc.
>>
>>Don't get me wrong. These are wonderful dogs, in fact, excellent.
>>However, some of these dogs are better off in the hands of somebody
>>who has experience in keeping them and handling them. Most of these
>>dogs are very good even with children, however, that is the case when
>>they have been either introduced in to the family as a pup or the
>>children are sufficiently big.
>>

> We had a German Shepherd when i was a kid, from age 5 until i was 19...
> Gentlest dog I've ever known. This didn't help her to be a good guard
> dog (couple lawnmowers were stolen on her watch), but she was an awesome
> companion. I gotta get some pics of her on my website.
>
> I'm not saying that German Shepherds would be good around kids.. Just
> adding my commentary ;)

Cat
2003-09-12 13:29:35 EST

>BUT, IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES, DO NOT LEAVE KIDS ALONE WITH CHILDREN. NO WAY.

Shouldnt that be "do not leave kids alone with *dogs*? :)
hehe