Dog Discussion: My Dog Smells

My Dog Smells

Betsy
2003-09-06 14:24:02 EST
My collie is 5, is epileptic, and has recovered completely from acute
pancreatitis 3 weeks ago. His medications are pepcid AC, KBr, and PB.

Since then he has been on a very low-fat home-cooked diet of:

white rice
yoghurt
chicken breast
carrots

Also since then he has begun to have a terrible body odor.

I gave him a good bath 3 days ago, with shampoo and creme rinse, and have
been brushing the molting fur from him since. Yet he again smells as bad as
he did! It is almost intolerable.

Any thoughts?

Rocky
2003-09-06 16:36:52 EST
Betsy said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

> I gave him a good bath 3 days ago, with shampoo and creme
> rinse, and have been brushing the molting fur from him
> since. Yet he again smells as bad as he did! It is almost
> intolerable.

What does he smell like? Fishy?

What did you feed him before the homemade diet? (As an aside, I
hope the diet you posted is only temporary.)

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

Rob
2003-09-06 20:24:34 EST
You may want to check your doggies ears in case he has an infection.

Good luck.....

Betsy wrote:
> My collie is 5, is epileptic, and has recovered completely from acute
> pancreatitis 3 weeks ago. His medications are pepcid AC, KBr, and PB.
>
> Since then he has been on a very low-fat home-cooked diet of:
>
> white rice
> yoghurt
> chicken breast
> carrots
>
> Also since then he has begun to have a terrible body odor.
>
> I gave him a good bath 3 days ago, with shampoo and creme rinse, and have
> been brushing the molting fur from him since. Yet he again smells as bad as
> he did! It is almost intolerable.
>
> Any thoughts?

Becky Smith
2003-09-06 20:37:56 EST
I was going to say the same thing. My dog once had an ear infection and I
didn't know it. She smelled so bad - even after a bath. Finally I noticed
it was her ears - she never complained and the infection was pretty severe.

Becky

"Rob" <rmarks@speakeasy.net> wrote in message
> You may want to check your doggies ears in case he has an infection.
>
> Good luck.....
>

> Betsy wrote:
> > My collie is 5, is epileptic, and has recovered completely from acute
> > pancreatitis 3 weeks ago. His medications are pepcid AC, KBr, and PB.
> >
> > Since then he has been on a very low-fat home-cooked diet of:
> >
> > white rice
> > yoghurt
> > chicken breast
> > carrots
> >
> > Also since then he has begun to have a terrible body odor.
> >
> > I gave him a good bath 3 days ago, with shampoo and creme rinse, and
have
> > been brushing the molting fur from him since. Yet he again smells as
bad as
> > he did! It is almost intolerable.
> >
> > Any thoughts?

Gene
2003-09-06 20:41:20 EST
Strong odors can be caused by (inter alia):
1. ear infection
2. gum disease
3. tooth disease
4. kidney problem
5. skin disease
Rule out 1,2,3 and then see a vet.
Good luck,
Gene

Betsy
2003-09-06 21:46:53 EST
Thanks. He's seen a lot of vets recently!!!!!!!

So I don't think he has any of these problems. I was wondering if it was
diet related, I guess.

"Gene" <emberti@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Strong odors can be caused by (inter alia):
> 1. ear infection
> 2. gum disease
> 3. tooth disease
> 4. kidney problem
> 5. skin disease
> Rule out 1,2,3 and then see a vet.
> Good luck,
> Gene

Betsy
2003-09-06 21:48:28 EST
Thanks.

He smells gamey, is the best way I can describe it.

Why are you worried about the diet? It was recommended to me by the vets.
It is being checked by the nutritionist at U Penn, and I expect feedback any
day now. What are your specific thoughts?

"Rocky" <2pups@rocky-dog.com> wrote in message
> Betsy said in rec.pets.dogs.health:
>
> > I gave him a good bath 3 days ago, with shampoo and creme
> > rinse, and have been brushing the molting fur from him
> > since. Yet he again smells as bad as he did! It is almost
> > intolerable.
>
> What does he smell like? Fishy?
>
> What did you feed him before the homemade diet? (As an aside, I
> hope the diet you posted is only temporary.)
>
> --
> --Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

Rocky
2003-09-06 22:47:10 EST
Betsy said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

> He smells gamey, is the best way I can describe it.

If your answer was "fishy" or pungent, I'd suggest looking at
the anal glands.

> Why are you worried about the diet?

What goes in comes out. Some owners notice a change in their
dogs after a change in feed.

> It was recommended to
> me by the vets. It is being checked by the nutritionist at
> U Penn, and I expect feedback any day now. What are your
> specific thoughts?

Every dog is different. For that reason, I won't recommend a
specific food. When I was dealing with a food tolerance issue
with one of my dogs, though, I found that simpler was better.

To be safe, I'd go with what others have suggested and look for
an infection.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

John Ferman
2003-09-07 00:50:02 EST
I would try replacing the yogurt with low-fat cottage cheese first.
Then look into ear or teeth problems.

In article <Xns93EED334FB839australianshepherdca@IP>, Rocky
<*s@rocky-dog.com> wrote:

> Betsy said in rec.pets.dogs.health:
>
> > He smells gamey, is the best way I can describe it.
>
> If your answer was "fishy" or pungent, I'd suggest looking at
> the anal glands.
>
> > Why are you worried about the diet?
>
> What goes in comes out. Some owners notice a change in their
> dogs after a change in feed.
>
> > It was recommended to
> > me by the vets. It is being checked by the nutritionist at
> > U Penn, and I expect feedback any day now. What are your
> > specific thoughts?
>
> Every dog is different. For that reason, I won't recommend a
> specific food. When I was dealing with a food tolerance issue
> with one of my dogs, though, I found that simpler was better.
>
> To be safe, I'd go with what others have suggested and look for
> an infection.

Windswept
2003-09-07 01:04:04 EST

Betsy:

I agree with everyone who mentions ears. When buford gets an ear infection
I want to rent him a place all his own and only go into to put in his drops.
Its smells awful and could be described as gamey. Check with your vet.

--
For more information about this NNTP posting service, contact:
h*p@asarian-host.net -- for all info about our server.

https://asarian-host.net/cgi-bin/signup.cgi