Dog Discussion: What About An Indoor Dog Park?

What About An Indoor Dog Park?

Pete
2004-11-22 00:12:53 EST
My friends and I are thinking about setting up our own indoor dog park in
Chicago, near downtown. We've thought about this for years and think that
with the harsh winters and steamy summers, there would be enough dog owners
that would want to come visit so that our fur babies have somewhere to
exercise. Before actually executing this, we thought what better way to test
this than with the friendly people on the internet.

So some business questions

1. How many times a week would you visit?
2. Would you pay, and if so would it be less than $5 or more than $10?
3. Would you think that having facilities for the owners, tv, refreshments,
seats, possibly a bar, would entice you to visit? Would you be willing to
pay more?
4. How many miles away would you be willing to travel? Less than 5 miles,
5-10, greater than 10?

Thanks for the information and when we launch the site, we'll let you know.

Peter

Joe Nomad
2004-11-22 00:44:56 EST

Sorry, I have a dog, but I would not bother with it at all.

"Pete" <no@no.com> wrote in message news:yIidnSRVr4hT6DzcRVn-1Q@rcn.net...
> My friends and I are thinking about setting up our own indoor dog park in
> Chicago, near downtown. We've thought about this for years and think that
> with the harsh winters and steamy summers, there would be enough dog
owners
> that would want to come visit so that our fur babies have somewhere to
> exercise. Before actually executing this, we thought what better way to
test
> this than with the friendly people on the internet.
>
> So some business questions
>
> 1. How many times a week would you visit?
> 2. Would you pay, and if so would it be less than $5 or more than $10?
> 3. Would you think that having facilities for the owners, tv,
refreshments,
> seats, possibly a bar, would entice you to visit? Would you be willing to
> pay more?
> 4. How many miles away would you be willing to travel? Less than 5 miles,
> 5-10, greater than 10?
>
> Thanks for the information and when we launch the site, we'll let you
know.

> Peter

Ruth
2004-11-22 06:30:13 EST

"Joe Nomad" <joenomad@praize.com> wrote in message

> Sorry, I have a dog, but I would not bother with it at all.

Really? I think it is a great idea.

Ruth

Diddy
2004-11-22 07:37:00 EST
in thread news:yIidnSRVr4hT6DzcRVn-1Q@rcn.net: "Pete" <no@no.com>
whittled the following words:

> My friends and I are thinking about setting up our own indoor dog park
> in Chicago, near downtown. We've thought about this for years and
> think that with the harsh winters and steamy summers, there would be
> enough dog owners that would want to come visit so that our fur babies
> have somewhere to exercise. Before actually executing this, we thought
> what better way to test this than with the friendly people on the
> internet.
>
> So some business questions
>
> 1. How many times a week would you visit?
> 2. Would you pay, and if so would it be less than $5 or more than $10?
> 3. Would you think that having facilities for the owners, tv,
> refreshments, seats, possibly a bar, would entice you to visit? Would
> you be willing to pay more?
> 4. How many miles away would you be willing to travel? Less than 5
> miles, 5-10, greater than 10?
>
> Thanks for the information and when we launch the site, we'll let you
> know.
>
> Peter

I would never put my dog in a position where they might be encouraged to
potty inside.

Phil Asay
2004-11-22 14:12:03 EST

> I would never put my dog in a position where they might be encouraged to
> potty inside.

I'm sure this piece of information is what Pete is looking for!
UNBELIEVABLE......... Here is a guy who may have a good idea offering an
alternative facility to play, exercise or walk a dog in a place of the
country that is known for its inclement weather, and this is what he
gets?????

I guess diddy thinks that his/her dog is not smart enough to learn that a
place in a building that has been designated as a "potty area" is different
than at home. We have participate in numerous "Inside Dog Shows" were
several areas have been set aside for this activity and IMO, this is NOT a
problem.

Pete.............. If we were located in your-neck-of-the-woods, I'm sure
we would welcome the idea and probably take our dogs on a weekly basis, if
the facility was large enough. Our "Aussie's" enjoy romping with other dogs
and they could care less if they are indoors or out. I like the idea of
having seats, refreshments, etc you are suggesting. Revenue generated from
the sales of concession might also help keep the price of the visits in
check.

I hope that future responders give you the input that will help in your
decision of opening the facility. Good luck.

Phil
Tacoma, WA

Diddy
2004-11-22 14:29:50 EST
in thread news:1101150733.ureNFWvwwAZrwW3OKWys9g@teranews: "Phil Asay"
<AC-graphics@direcway.com> whittled the following words:

> I hope that future responders give you the input that will help in
> your decision of opening the facility. Good luck.
>
> Phil
> Tacoma, WA
Telling the guy that his business is going to be a success, and finding out
that he does not get enough interest to pay expenses is not doing him any
favors. It sounds like a great idea. ... IF it works. I, for one,would NOT
use it, and that doesn't makemy input any less valueable than potentially
steering him in a disastrous direction.

I put my input in for what it was worth. It's only a great idea if it's
used enough to make it a successful business.

I'd like to know why your input invalidates mine? Just because we disagree?

Pete
2004-11-22 15:26:25 EST
Thank you all for your input!

I will continue to check the thread.

Peter
Chicago

Kay2619
2004-11-22 15:59:33 EST
I don't love very close to Chicago, but I would use a "park" like this
if it were within reasonable driving distance. Our outdoor park here in
WI is open year-round, but it gets pretty tough to weather, especially
since we have to bring our own water.

Personally, I would stay away from the refreshments, tv, bar, etc.
because already way too many folks do not have control of their dogs
when at a dog park and don't need further distractions. Why encourage
people to watch tv instead of their dogs? Too many people think that
they can just release their dogs and the round them up when it's time to
leave.

A pet supply store might be an added bonus, but I wouldn't go to the
park if other owners were drinking, eating, or watching tv instead of
their dogs.

Pete wrote:
> My friends and I are thinking about setting up our own indoor dog park in
> Chicago, near downtown. We've thought about this for years and think that
> with the harsh winters and steamy summers, there would be enough dog owners
> that would want to come visit so that our fur babies have somewhere to
> exercise. Before actually executing this, we thought what better way to test
> this than with the friendly people on the internet.
>
> So some business questions
>
> 1. How many times a week would you visit?
> 2. Would you pay, and if so would it be less than $5 or more than $10?
> 3. Would you think that having facilities for the owners, tv, refreshments,
> seats, possibly a bar, would entice you to visit? Would you be willing to
> pay more?
> 4. How many miles away would you be willing to travel? Less than 5 miles,
> 5-10, greater than 10?
>
> Thanks for the information and when we launch the site, we'll let you know.
>
> Peter

Pete
2004-11-22 22:00:26 EST

"Kay2619" <kay2619@netscape.net> wrote in message
> I don't love very close to Chicago, but I would use a "park" like this
> if it were within reasonable driving distance. Our outdoor park here in
> WI is open year-round, but it gets pretty tough to weather, especially
> since we have to bring our own water.
>
> Personally, I would stay away from the refreshments, tv, bar, etc.
> because already way too many folks do not have control of their dogs
> when at a dog park and don't need further distractions. Why encourage
> people to watch tv instead of their dogs? Too many people think that
> they can just release their dogs and the round them up when it's time to
> leave.

That is a good point. Thanks for the input!

Joe Nomad
2004-11-22 22:16:30 EST
"Ruth" <nicholsruth@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> "Joe Nomad" <joenomad@praize.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Sorry, I have a dog, but I would not bother with it at all.
>
> Really? I think it is a great idea.
>
> Ruth

It *is* a great idea, but ideas are a dozen for a dime. If he/they does it,
I hope it works out for him/them. But I think it is a high-risk venture to
consider.