Dog Discussion: Dog Stealling Food

Dog Stealling Food

Diddy
2004-11-11 20:33:37 EST
in thread news:41941727.8020607@hottmail.com: Jim Smith
<*h@hottmail.com> whittled the following words:

> Hi
>
> Recently our 7 year old Cockopoo has developed a bad habbit of
> stealing food from our grandkids
> Does anyone know what the problem is, is he missing something,
> attention, more food? Can anyone point me to where I might find more
> information about this problem????
> Has anyone had any experience with this kind of problem??
>
> Thx in advance
> Mike...

He's spoiled, undisciplined, and he has been trained by experience that it
works. Supervise children and food. If they are running around the house,
put the dog out of access reach. Supervision and dogs and kids make a great
combination.

Jim Smith
2004-11-11 20:51:35 EST
Hi

Recently our 7 year old Cockopoo has developed a bad habbit of
stealing food from our grandkids ( 1 Year old. Their hands are the same
height as his mouth). He also takes food from the kitchen table and
just 20 minutes ago he stole food from our dining room table which we
has just set up for guests. Naturatley this did not go over very well.
He also takes the kids toys and chews them, towels from the bathroom,
cushens from our living room chairs etc... This has gotten to be an
hourly event some days.
This is really bad and has gotten worse in the last few days which
has prompted this post.

Does anyone know what the problem is, is he missing something,
attention, more food? Can anyone point me to where I might find more
information about this problem????
Has anyone had any experience with this kind of problem??

Thx in advance
Mike...

Rosa
2004-11-12 07:08:33 EST

"Jim Smith" <jsmith@hottmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Recently our 7 year old Cockopoo has developed a bad habbit of stealing
> food from our grandkids ( 1 Year old. Their hands are the same height as
> his mouth). He also takes food from the kitchen table and just 20 minutes
> ago he stole food from our dining room table which we has just set up for
> guests. Naturatley this did not go over very well.
> He also takes the kids toys and chews them, towels from the bathroom,
> cushens from our living room chairs etc... This has gotten to be an
> hourly event some days.
> This is really bad and has gotten worse in the last few days which has
> prompted this post.
>
> Does anyone know what the problem is, is he missing something,
> attention, more food? Can anyone point me to where I might find more
> information about this problem????
> Has anyone had any experience with this kind of problem??
>
> Thx in advance
> Mike...

I've only had to deal with dogs stealing food from children a couple of
times. What worked then was making the dog give up the food before it had
the chance to eat it, and scolding it a bit. Sometimes kids don't understand
that if they shove their food into a dogs face it will take it as an
invitation, so teach the children not to tease the dog.
When it comes to dogs that steal food from tables, sometimes it helps to
catch the dog "redpawed" and discipline it, but only if you catch the dog in
the act. I beleive that with some dogs the temptation to steal is so big,
that to get them to give up their habit isn't really worth the effort -
supervision is easier. In my family we had a dog that would steal anything,
even if she wasn't going to eat it, so whenever the table was set, someone
kept an eye on her. After a while the other dog in our family took on the
job of guarding the dinner table - she would lie under it and growl if the
"thief" came too near, very practical.

I think your dog needs something to do, he is probably very bored and has
found something entertaining to do. Negative attention is better than no
attention. So longer walks, let him use his brain.

Rosa

The Puppy Wizard
2004-11-12 19:21:13 EST
HOWEDY diddler,

IOW, you got no way to train a dog not to steal food
from kids any MOORE than you can train your dogs
not to escape your shock fences or stop yourself from
shooting strangling and bludgeoning innocent dogs
an kats.

The Amazing Puppy Wizard <{) ; ~ ) >

"diddy" <diddy@nospam.diddy.net> wrote in message
> in thread news:41941727.8020607@hottmail.com: Jim Smith
> <jsmith@hottmail.com> whittled the following words:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Recently our 7 year old Cockopoo has developed a bad
habbit of
> > stealing food from our grandkids
> > Does anyone know what the problem is, is he missing
something,
> > attention, more food? Can anyone point me to where I might
find more
> > information about this problem????
> > Has anyone had any experience with this kind of problem??
> >
> > Thx in advance
> > Mike...
> >

> He's spoiled, undisciplined, and he has been trained by
experience that it
> works. Supervise children and food. If they are running around
the house,
> put the dog out of access reach. Supervision and dogs and kids
make a great
> combination.

The Puppy Wizard
2004-11-12 19:56:12 EST
HOWEDY rosa,

"Rosa" <i.don't@think.so> wrote in message

> "Jim Smith" <jsmith@hottmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > Recently our 7 year old Cockopoo has developed
> > a bad habbit of stealing food from our grandkids ( 1
> > Year old. Their hands are the same height as his
> > mouth).

You can break any behavior NEARLY INSTANTLY
if you know HOWE.

> > He also takes food from the kitchen table
> > and just 20 minutes ago he stole food from
> > our dining room table which we has just set
> > up for guests. Naturatley this did not go over
> > very well.

It only takes a few minutes to train a dog not
to steal from C-HOWENTERS or from kids or
not to eat poison or jump or MHOWETH. It's
ALL the same same same same same. ALL
behavior problems are CAUSED BY MISHANDLING.

> > He also takes the kids toys and chews them,

Same same as C-HOWENTER SURFIN.

> > towels from the bathroom,

SAME SAME.

> > cushens from our living room chairs etc...

ALL behaviors are the same same same same.

> > This has gotten to be an hourly event some days.

THAT'S on accHOWENT of the dog ENJOYS
the ATTENTION he gets for doin the BAD behaviors.

> > This is really bad and has gotten worse in the
> > last few days which has prompted this post.

It'll take less time to TRAIN the dog than reply to this thread.

> > Does anyone know what the problem is,

Yeah. The dog is becoming hyperactive from REPRESSIVE
handling and training methods to break the undesirable
behaviors which REWARDS the dogs need for direct attention.

> > is he missing something, attention, more food?

Dogs eat EXXXCESSIVELY for the same same
reason people eat EXXXCESSIVELY.

> > Can anyone point me to where I might find more
> > information about this problem????

You'll get ALL the INFORMATION you need from
your FREE copy of The Amazing Puppy Wizard's
FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual
available for FREE at http://www.doggydoright.com

> > Has anyone had any experience with
> > this kind of problem??

BWEEEEEEEEAAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Yeah. Most of the EXXXPERTS she's askin got
the same same same same problems. They just
told marie that she should shock her dog to break
her C-HOWENTER surfin, despite that shockin
dogs often makes them attack people nearbye.

> > Thx in advance

Better watch HOWET for the lying dog abusing
punk thug coward mental cases who'd advise
you to HURT and INTIMIDATE your dog on acc-
HOWENT of they don't have the INTELLECT to
HOWEtwit the cunning of the domestic puppy dog.

> > Mike...

Like this fruitcake:

> I've only had to deal with dogs stealing food from
> children a couple of times. What worked then was
> making the dog give up the food before it had the
> chance to eat it, and scolding it a bit.

THAT'LL make the dog FEAR the children
and try harder to steal their food and it'll
teach the children to act like a MENTAL CASE.

> Sometimes kids don't understand

Yeah. Not till you show them HOWE to be
INTELLIGENT and REASONABLE when
you hurt and intimidate your dogs.

> that if they shove their food into a dogs face
> it will take it as an invitation, so teach the
> children not to tease the dog.

Yeah. Fat chance. You can't train the dog
not to steal food from the kids any MOORE
than you can train the kids not to temp the
dog so they can watch YOU GO MENTAL
someMOORE and attack the dog.

It's kinda like the alphalpha wolf pack thing
where they all scrap over bits of a carcass.

> When it comes to dogs that steal food from tables,

It's all the same same. Your EXXXPERT pals advised
marie that scolding the dog only works so long as you're
standing there ready to hurt and intmidate the dog some
MOORE.

REMEMBER, you lying dog abusing mental case?

> sometimes it helps to catch the dog
> "redpawed" and discipline it,

Yeah. THAT'S HOWE COME leah got bit five times
by her own dog. That's HOWE COME dogs attack
children, like tara o. aka tee's DEAD DOG Summer.

> but only if you catch the dog in the act.

Yeah. THAT'S the other part of the problem.
When you rely on fear force intimidation bribery
and avoidance you teach the dog to DO that
behavior soon as you turn your back on them.

OR they'll learn to fear and hate children like
steve walker's DEAD DOG Sampson done for
the same same same same reason, you dog
abusing mental case.

> I beleive that with some dogs the temptation
> to steal is so big, that to get them to give up
> their habit isn't really worth the effort -

THAT'S INSANE.

> supervision is easier.

IOW, you're full of crap.

> In my family we had a dog that would steal anything,

Your family are dog abusing mental cases.
HOWE do you think you became a mental case?

> even if she wasn't going to eat it, so whenever
> the table was set, someone kept an eye on her.

BWEEEEEEAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

> After a while the other dog in our family took on the
> job of guarding the dinner table - she would lie under
> it and growl if the "thief" came too near, very practical.

The dog was copying his abusive mentally ill owners.

> I think your dog needs something to do,

THAT'S INSANE.

> he is probably very bored

Bored dogs SLEEP, you dog abusing mental case.

> and has found something entertaining to do.

Perhaps he should join a dog club?

> Negative attention is better than no attention.

SO YOU PUNISH THE DOG WHEN YOU CATCH
IT IN THE ACT.

YOU SUPERVISE THE DOG CONSTANTLY
WHEN THERE'S FOOD arHOWEND.

> So longer walks, let him use his brain.

You gonna walk the dog so IT don't steal food?

> Rosa

You GET The Critter You TRAINED

A Dog Is A Dog As A Kat Is A Kat As A
Birdie Is A Birdie As A Child Is A Child As A
SP-HOWES Is a SP-HOWES.

ALL Critters Only Respond In PREDICTABLE INNATE
NORMAL NATURAL INSTINCTIVE REFLEXIVE Ways
To Situations And Circumstances Of Their Environment
Which We Create For Them.

Damn The Descartean War of "Nature Vs Nurture."
We Teach By HOWER Words And Actions
And GET BACK What We TAUGHT.

In The Problem Animal Behavior BUSINESS
FAILURE MEANS DEATH.
SAME SAME,
For The Problem Child Behavior BUSINESS.

"The Methods, Principles, And Philosophy Of Behavior
Never Change,
Or They'd Not Be Scientific And Could Not Obtain
Consistent, Reliable, Fast, Effective Results
For All Handler's And All Dogs,
NEARLY INSTANTLY,
As Taught In Your FREE Copy Of The Puppy Wizard's
FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual,"
The Puppy Wizard. <{} ; ~ ) >

From: Marshall Dermer (dermer@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu)
Subject: Re: Jerry's Dog Training Manual
Date: 2001-07-12 06:49:13 PST

>> While the concept of shake cans is not new,
>> I haven't read any other advice that says to
>> praise immediately regardless of what the dog
>> does next (the common advice is to praise once
>> the dog is doing a desired behaviour or at least
>> stopped the unwanted behaviour), this is unique
>> to Jerry (and Marilyn) and from my own experiences
>> is an important part of the process.

And how do we know this aspect of his advice is right?

Jerry is not God and his manual is not the Bible.

His advice could be subject to an empirical analysis.

--Marshall

=================

From: Paul B (NOSPAMpanders@zfree.co.nz)
Date: 2001-07-12 00:13:28 PST

Hello Marshall,

The way I view it from my observation of how
my dogs react is that the distraction interrupts
the dogs thought, not for good or bad, just
interrupts, the dog is therefore distracted for
a second and then will either continue the
behaviour or do something else.

The praise reassures the dog that the sound
distraction is not a threat or punishment,
however if everytime the dog resumes a
particular behaviour it's distracted immediately
(and praised immediately for reassurance) then
it quickly decides this behaviour is not fulfilling
and it ceases.

A dog will offer another behaviour in it's place
and if that is acceptable to us then we let it be
otherwise the distraction continues until a suitable
alternate behaviour is offered.

One example, Sam used to jump up on me
when I arrived home, I would shake can to
distract him right at the moment he was
about to jump up, after about 4 repetitions
he tried sitting and offering me his paw, of
course this was fine so I let it be.

==============

> There really is NOTHING new about the advice above!

Nuthin EXXXCEPT HOWE IT'S DONE.

> Sound distraction may be understood in
> terms of the more general behavior analytic
> approach as follows.
>
> The distracting stimulus

Like a SCRUFF SHAKE, professor?

>evokes a behavior that is incompatible with barking.

You mean like SCREAMING "NO!" into ITS face
for 5 seconds?

> The dog engages in some other behavior

NO, professor SCRUFF SHAKE.

THAT AIN'T HOWE IT WORKS.

> and then is reinforced (if praise functions as a
> reinforcer).

NO, professor. You don't UNDERSTAND the METHOD.

> --Marshal

"The Methods, Principles, And Philosophy Of Behavior
Never Change, Or They'd Not Be Scientific And Would
Not Obtain Consistent, Reliable, Fast, Effective Results
For All Handler's And All Dogs, As Taught In Your FREE
Copy Of The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End
Dog Training Method Manual."

Disciple Paulie Writes:

I've never forced my dogs to do anything, I tell them
they are good dogs and they seem to follow me, once
I told them they were bad dogs and they ran away from
me, now I only ever tell them they are good dogs and
they always are, always.

Trust your dog, ask it to do your request and say "good dog"
sincerely at the end of the request and I bet you'll
find your dog thinking then responding everytime.

A bit of respect works wonders, the same rule applies
to every aspect of the relationship with your dog.

Obedience and affection are not related, if they were
everyone would have obedient dogs.

Paul.

========================

Disciple Paulie Sez: "No One Understands How Wits
End Training Really Works, They Assume It's All Nicey
Nicey And don't Realise It's A Very Disciplined Method
That Deals With Any Situation And The Foundation Is
Built On Trust And Understanding."

Two HOWETA three Pauls PREFER NOT HURTIN
DOGS as The Puppy Wizard teaches in HIS FREE
WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual.

Here's two Pauls:

Date: 5/22/03 11:24:35 PM Eastern
Daylight Time
From: p@cfl.rr.com
To: Witsenddog@aol.com

Well, let me tell you, your Wits' End
Dog Training Method works.

My dog, Dasie, Loves to chase chameleons
around the barbecue on the patio. I
used this system on four different occasions.

When she went out today, she looked
everywhere else but the barbecue.
Amazing, just amazing.

I will write to Amanda about the video.

I am really excited to learn more, and
understand. Maybe just a little reassurance
that I am going about it the right way.

Thanks again
Paul

=============================

> From: Paul B (NOSPAMpaulbousie@clear.net.nz)
> Subject: Re: Dog vs cat food (stealing cat food)
> Date: 2001-03-03 22:18:03 PST
>
> It's possible to teach a dog not to eat out of a cat bowl
> without too much difficulty.
>
> My dogs don't touch the food in the cat bowls although
> Roz licks up any bits that have been dropped around the
> bowls :-)
>
> I used a can with stones in it to create a distraction
> anytime the dogs tried to eat the cats food, followed
> with immediate praise. It worked a treat.
>
> The cats bowls are down all the time, usually there is
> food left over but the dogs don't eat it, even if we go
> out and leave the dogs with access inside through a
> dog door.
>
> Paul
>
> --
> Obedience and affection are not related, if they
> were everyone would have obedient dogs.
>
> See the dogs, cats, us and pics of NZ etc at my homepage.....
>
> http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/paulbousie/index.html
>
> Updated regularly (last time 23 Jan 01) so keep coming back!!!
>
> ====================

Here's a couple of The Puppy Wizard's FREE
WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual
Students tellin you HOWE they done it EZ GENTLY
NEARLY INSTANTLY and FOR FREE:

"The Puppy Wizard" <ThePuppyWizard@earthlink.net>
schreef inbericht

> You'll get ALL the INFORMATION you need in your
> FREE copy of The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW
> Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual. You'll be
> taught some general exercises to calm and relax
> your dog and give him the direct attention he
> NEEDS in only a few minutes every other day, and
> you'll learn HOWE to use distraction and praise to
> EXXXTINGUISH the HABITUAL aspect of this DIS-
> EASE.

My dog (a 1 year old Yellow Lab) was biting his tail
at the root (Vet said his anal gland was blocked, and
was causing an itch).

After squeezing it, he still wouldn't stop biting his
tail. The vet advised a neck-funnel (don't know wat
you US-guy's call those) so he couldn't reach his butt.

I hate those things, i think they will drive a dog nuts.

I tried the wits end method. (difficult to read such a long
textfile if English is not your native language) Luckily this
is without all the "HOWE's" etc.so at least it's readable for
somebody like me.

The minute he started to bite i trew my key's
next to him on the floor, and praised him (he
stopped biting and looked up when he heard
the sound) I did this 7 times,

after that the tailbiting completely stopped.
Just give the wits end method a try.

One of the possible downloadlocations
is http://www.doggydoright.com/id3.html

Hennie van Dalen
www.chello.nl/~h.vandalen11

----------------------------

"Paul B" <abcde@clear.net.nz> schreef in bericht

> Both my dogs at some stage have licked a spot
> somewhere on their bodies and I have always
> managed to train them to stop. In all cases there
> was nothing wrong that licking would have helped
> (Roz has had cut pads, stitches in her belly and
> skin itrritations, all tempting her to lick), none of their
> licking has been due to any allergies
>
>. When I see the dog licking more than normal I
> look at the spot to see whats there and decide if
> a vet appointment is needed or to wait and see,
> keeping a close eye.
>
>To stop the licking I distract the dog and give it
> some friendly banter, when it starts licking again
> I repeat, usually after about 4 times the dog stops,
> for the moment at least, if it starts again then repeat,
> before long the dog has no more desire to lick that
> spot at all.

The same thing worked with my lab licking/chewing
problem too. He had an itch due to blocked anal glands
and started chewing and licking his tail at the root.

After the glands were squeezed, and the itch was
gone he still wouldn't stop. (because the place he
chewed raw was itching)

After some training (roughly the same methode as
yours) he stopped.

--
Hennie van Dalen
www.chello.nl/~h.vandalen11

--------------------------------------

"Hennie van Dalen" <h.vandalen11***removethis***@chello.nl>
wrote in message news:TlsCb.2895$7U1.7896@amstwist00...

RTFM is age-old computer lingo.... It stands for "Read The F***ing
Manual" ;-) I used the manual and it works
very good!

But it is a long text to read (76 pages printed on
A4-size paper) My lab is 1year old now, and teaching
him something new takes about 30minutes
(depending on what to teach offcourse)

My other dog (a 7year old staffordshire terrier-mix) is a bit
slower in learning, but he is used to me calling him a "bad
dog"whenever he did something i didn't want him to do, or
it might be the age.

Sometimes it looks like Sam (the lab) WANTS to learn
something new: he wants me to bring along the can
filled with washers whenever we go for a walk. It is a
very "humane" way of teaching: the dog is allways a
"good dog", and never a "bad dog"

There is nu punishment or prong-collars involved.

For a fact i tought him to heel in 15min's without
beeing on a leach at-all !!! When he spotted a dog,
he used to run towards it, but now i tought him to "ask
permission" first, and to my surprise it worked!

My dogs never went to puppy-training (lucky for them),
maybe this helped too.

Manual can be found at http://www.doggydoright.com/id3.html

"Ted Rumple" <rumplemint@kalbar.net> wrote in message

> Jerry, I am forever in your debt. The system you have
> created for training dogs is absolutely amazing!
>
> I can't wait until the new version is available for human
> children!
>
> Thank you for your service to humanity!

ANY QUESTIONS, DUMMIES?

,-._,-,
V)"(V
(_o_) Have a great day!
/ V)
(l l l) Your Puppy Wizard. <{}YPW; ~ } >
oo-oo

The Puppy Wizard
2004-11-14 21:53:08 EST
HOWEDY Jim,

"Jim Smith" <jsmith@hottmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Recently our 7 year old Cockopoo has developed
> a bad habbit of stealing food from our grandkids ( 1
> Year old. Their hands are the same height as his mouth).

No problemo. You can train your dog not to take
the kid's stuff just like HOWE you'd train the dog
not to steal from the garbage or C-HOWENTER
or any other behavior.

> He also takes food from the kitchen table and
> just 20 minutes ago he stole food from our dining
> room table which we has just set up for guests.

Takes less time to TRAIN the dog not to do
that than it takes to tell you HOWE to do it.

> Naturatley this did not go over very well.

Well THAT'S HOWE COME he DOES IT.

> He also takes the kids toys and chews them,

On accHOWENT of you try to STOP him from
DOIN it. The FASTEST way to TEACH a child
or dog to DO sumpthin is tell them they CAN'T.

BWEEEEEEAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

> towels from the bathroom, cushens from our
> living room chairs etc...

It's ALL the same same, Jim. Your dog DOES
the behaviors you're trying to force him not to do
on accHOWENT of it commands 100% of your
undivided attention.

> This has gotten to be an hourly event some days.

Your dog has FHOWEND an eager playmate.

> This is really bad and has gotten worse in the
> last few days which has prompted this post.

DECENT PEOPLE DO NOT POST HERE abHOWETS, Jim.

> Does anyone know what the problem is,

Yeah. You're askin liars dog abusers cowards
and active long term incurable mental cases
who got NO IDEA HOWE to TRAIN a dog not
to steal STUFF and EAT POISON or ATTACK
CHILDREN withHOWET hurtin intimidatin cratin
and murderin them.

> is he missing something, attention, more food?

He's missing intelligent decent handling and training,
the same same same same as your kids are missin.

In The Problem Animal Behavior BUSINESS
FAILURE MEANS DEATH.
SAME SAME,
For The Problem Child Behavior BUSINESS.

A Dog Is A Dog As A Kat Is A Kat
As A Birdie Is A Birdie
As A Child Is A Child
As A SP-HOWES Is a SP-HOWES.

ALL BEHAVIOR PROBLEMS ARE
CAUSED BY MISHANDLING.

ALL Critters Only Respond In PREDICTABLE INNATE
NORMAL NATURAL INSTINCTIVE REFLEXIVE Ways
To Situations And Circumstances Of Their Environment
Which We Create For Them.

Damn The Descartean War of "Nature Vs Nurture."
We Teach By HOWER Words And Actions
And GET BACK What We TAUGHT.

Perhaps THAT'S HOWE COME dog lovers HATE
The Amazing Puppy Wizard. <{) ; ~ ) >

> Can anyone point me to where I might find
> more information about this problem????

You ain't gonna be gettin no doGgamened advice
from HOWER Gang Of Lying Dog Abusing Punk
Thug Cowards and ACTIVE LONG TERM INCURABLE
MENTAL CASES who choke shock crate and spray
aversives in their dogs faces and MURDER them
when they get TOO SCARED to HURT and INTIMIDATE
them someMOORE.

> Has anyone had any experience
> with this kind of problem??

Yeah. EVERY WON YOU'RE ASKING GOT
THE SAME PROBLEM AND GOT NO CURE.

> Thx in advance

You're welcome.

From: Diane (dbergman@wwdc.com)
Subject: biting and attention
Date: 1999/10/13

I hope I'm not being a pest,(I have at least one
question a week) but I've never owned a lab
before and I think my 8month old lab/shepherd
has severe problems.

This newsgroup made me realize she is normal.

Her major problem is biting but I'm told labs and
shepherds are both bad for that as puppies.

Tonight I went to answer the phone and she took
my arm and wouldn't let go. I had to hang up as
my arm still has puncture wounds.

Has anyone had this problem?

I think she gets upset that all my attention is not
on her anymore. (I do spend a lot of time with
her and everyone tells me that I spoil her too much)

She also bites when she needs to go outside.

Any suggestions?

BWEEEEEEEEEEAAAHAHAHAHAHHAAA!!!