Dog Discussion: German Shepard

German Shepard

Dave
2004-11-03 14:55:06 EST
i have a puppy german shepard that has taken to chewing everything, i have
purchased loads of repellant i was told to use pepper so i put some in a
flower pot and my dog ate the soil, i purchase spry and he eats anything i
spray it on, i once i put a repellant plant in the flower bed so he doug it
up and ate it what else can i do to stop him chewing my house.

KR
2004-11-03 18:41:10 EST
We used to use vinegar for our Husky. Our Sheperd mix still has his chewing
moments.

KR

"dave" <daveclarke40@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>i have a puppy german shepard that has taken to chewing everything, i have
>purchased loads of repellant i was told to use pepper so i put some in a
>flower pot and my dog ate the soil, i purchase spry and he eats anything i
>spray it on, i once i put a repellant plant in the flower bed so he doug it
>up and ate it what else can i do to stop him chewing my house.

AskXperts
2004-11-03 22:29:43 EST
Hi Dave,

I invite you to post your question at http://www.askxperts.com

It's a free expert community where your questions are send to many experts.

Cheers!

"dave" <daveclarke40@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>i have a puppy german shepard that has taken to chewing everything, i have
>purchased loads of repellant i was told to use pepper so i put some in a
>flower pot and my dog ate the soil, i purchase spry and he eats anything i
>spray it on, i once i put a repellant plant in the flower bed so he doug it
>up and ate it what else can i do to stop him chewing my house.

Caroline
2004-11-04 03:42:06 EST
"dave" wrote
>i have a puppy german shepard that has taken to chewing everything, i have
>purchased loads of repellant i was told to use pepper so i put some in a
>flower pot and my dog ate the soil, i purchase spry and he eats anything i
>spray it on, i once i put a repellant plant in the flower bed so he doug it
>up and ate it what else can i do to stop him chewing my house.

You could try Tabasco sauce. I find its not so much that taste they dislike
more the sensation it causes, and they seem to remember this for longer than
a funny taste.

Has always worked for me anyway.

Diana
2004-11-04 05:59:41 EST

"dave" <daveclarke40@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> i have a puppy german shepard that has taken to chewing everything, i have
> purchased loads of repellant i was told to use pepper so i put some in a
> flower pot and my dog ate the soil, i purchase spry and he eats anything i
> spray it on, i once i put a repellant plant in the flower bed so he doug
it
> up and ate it what else can i do to stop him chewing my house.

Are you giving him things to chew? - his own toys?

At about 16 weeks a pup will start to loose his baby 'milk' teeth and grow
his adult teeth. Just like when humans babies teeth, this can be very
uncomfortable, so he is chewing to relieve the pain. Its a very, very
difficult stage (I remember it only too well this time last year) but it
does get better - you just have to be patient, sympathetic and vigilant.

When you can't directly supervise, keep him in a cage - if he chews a lump
of furniture and gets splinters in his mouth, it could be a very expensive
vet trip (my hubby is in hospital atm with a wood splinter that went septic
in his hand). My pup particularly liked plasterboard and ate our walls!

Also provide him with lots of nice things that he can chew. Ice cubes and
frozen kongs are soothing to sore gums. strong rope tugger toys soaked in
meaty gravy and frozen are also good. A little bonjella applied to his gums
wont hurt either.

The good news, it doesn't last long, if you don't let it become a habit,
the bad news - when he's about a year old, he'll start a second phase of
teething, and you'll have to go through this again - this time, he won't
loose his teeth for new ones, but they'll just finish growing and settling
in his jaw. Again, it doesn't last long.

Hope this helps - please be patient with him, he can't help it and he will
get over it.

Diana

The Puppy Wizard
2004-11-06 16:18:10 EST
HOWEDY Dave,

"dave" <daveclarke40@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> i have a puppy german shepard that
> has taken to chewing everything,

Destructive / EXXCESSIVE chewing is a SYMPTOM
of anxiHOWESNESS. That's GOOD. That means we
can CURE IT NEARLY INSTANTLY:

"Just Want To Second Jerry's Method For
Dealing With This (Destructive Separation
Anxiety). I've Suggested It To Quite A Few
Clients Now And It's Worked 'EVERY TIME
The Very First Time' - marilyn, Trainer, 33
Years Experience.

From: Chris Williams (k9apple@webtv.net)
Subject: Re: Thank you Jerry Howe
Date: 2002-03-26 08:16:19 PST

Engrossing account, Anthony. Our best to Angel
and your family.

A friend, who socializes the kittens I've taken
from a feral cat colony, is using the DDR.

She reports far fewer panic problems than
she's had before.

============================

Chris Williams writes:

"The FREE Wits' End Dog Training Method manual
I do find valuable. Much of it I recognize as what
I've always done without thinking of it as "training".
New stuff, I've used. His anchoring technique erased
the last of Mac's fireworks trauma,"

====================

Date: 2001-11-14 09:13:21 PST
"Yves Dussault" <ydussault@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> Hi!
> I have downloaded Wit's End Dog Training Method...
> In there there is that trick with a toy about "Separation
> anxiety surrogate toy technique."
>
> Anybody has tried that... I would like to give it a try with
> my GSP (German shorthair.....pointer)
> Comments? Yves Dussault

Yves,

I for one have tried it... in fact I use this all the time. I
just used it last evening while my husband and I went
out to see "The Mummy Returns" (a horrible turkey of
a movie, but at least the house wasn't chewed from
end to end in the meantime).

Yes, it really works. :-) So do the other distraction/praise
techniques described therein.

If you are interested in the manual, you will probably want to
begin the exercises as well.

Regards,
Lisa

===========

From: AIMEE (countrygirl0334@yahoo.com)
Subject: House training and such...
Date: 2003-10-08 16:18:56 PST

I've been having a problem with my dog, Axel,
relieving himself in the house while I'm away
from home.

I've used TPW method's, and yesterday I was out
for 12 hours, and Axel didn't have one single "accident".

Today, I had hoped that the results would be just as
good - and they were (I was out for 11 hours).

The problem began when, as a puppy, Axel would
relieve himself in the house and I would point at the
mess and tell him "NO" or "Bad Dog".

That made him afraid to relieve himself in the house
or infront of me.

After I got TPW's training manual, I corrected my
mishandling of these instances.

When I came home to an "accident", I would simply
drop a can near the area and ask Axel "What's that?"
Then I would clean it up - with out showing him I was
the least bit upset about the mess, and when he looked
at the spot I would tell him "Good boy, you're a good dog".

This has been an ongoing problem, and thanks to the
Puppy Wizard, we've finally got it taken care of...

Also, Axel LOVES the cat's litter box...He enjoys the
"snacks" he can find in there...I followed TPW's methods
by alternating sounds and praising him while or before
he sticks his nose in it, and today, he's been going into
the room with the cat box and barking. That's because
he's thinking about getting into the box, but he knows he
shouldn't.

Thank you, Jerry, for all you help. You've been a
blessing to all of us.

AIMEE

===================

From: AIMEE (countrygirl0334@yahoo.com):

I own a black an tan coonhound. We got him
as a puppy, and due to constant mishandling
(pulling on his lead, negative corrections, and
the occasional use of a bark collar) I ended
up with a very anxious dog.

I couldn't leave him home alone, I couldn't
crate him, I couldn't even take my dog for
walks because he feared EVERYTHING.

I was going to have to get rid of him if things
didn't turn around.

My husband and I searched the internet for
answers - AND WE FOUND THE PUPPY WIZARD.

For all of you disbeliveers out there HIS METHODS WORK!

I've followed his manual, and we now have a
dog that can be left home alone, that heels
on command, that can go outside and NOT
be afraid of everything he sees.

Not only have his methods helped our dog, but
our marriage has gotten better. We had fallen
into a rut - constant bickering and tension, we
never laughed or had FUN together - but now,
with the same mindset used in THE PUPPY
WIZARDS dog training, our communications
channels have opened, and we now work
together instead of against one another.

For all the "Literalists" out there, NO WE DID
NOT TEACH EACH OTHER TO SIT, STAY,
OR HEEL.

We simply eliminated the nagging and the acting out to get
NEGATIVE attention from one another since we weren't getting
the POSITIVE attention we wanted.

So, it's been proven - THE PUPPY WIZARDS
METHODS WORK.

It's up to you to accept them. Yes, there's alot of blame that we
have to accept, but once we realize that we've caused these
problems to arise, we can strive to make things better.

AIMEE

=================

> i have purchased loads of repellant i was told
> to use pepper so i put some in a flower pot and
> my dog ate the soil, i purchase spry and he eats
> anything i spray it on, i once i put a repellant plant
> in the flower bed so he doug it up and ate it what
> else can i do to stop him chewing my house.

You can do like all the 100% CONSISTENTLY
NEARLY INSTANTLY SUCCESSFUL problem
dog owners do; study your FREE copy of The
Amazing Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits'
End Dog Training Method Manual and ASK
The Amazing Puppy Wizard if you have any
difficulty.

"Anthony Testa" <testa52601@aol.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> my sons left again. We thought it was because
> everything was new. We were wrong. The dig did
> this every day for 4 days.
>
> The 4th day was our first scheduled visit with the
> vet. The vet told us he can see that the dog is
> suffering from abuse and separation anxiety. So,
> the vet puts the dog on clomicalm. (not sure of the
> spelling).
>
> Well, for two days the dog walked around like Jerry
> Garcia on a Friday night after a concert, stoned!
>
> However, we were home with her the entire weekend.
> We crated her for work and came home to a barking
> dog, ripped bedding in the crate, upset neighbors
> and the plastic bottom of the crate completely torn
> to bits. It was obvious that crating was not a good thing.
>
> The next day we decided to leave her out of the crate
> to see what would happen. What a major mistake.
> We came home to almost $1,000 in damage.
>
> Furniture, the blinds were all chewed and torn down, etc.
> The next day we put her in the crate again. This
> time we came home to a nice 2' x 3' hole in our
> carpet in the middle of the living room, right down
> to the cement. I told my wife that we cannot afford
> to keep this dog. We should go out and get a puppy.
>
> She was upset and said there must be something
> we can do. I told her this. " I will go on the internet
> and see what is available". I was desperate and
> wanted to see if there was someone who could help.
>
> We read the information about the DDR and emailed
> Jerry. Jerry was kind enough to give us his phone
> number to discuss Angel in more detail.
>
> First, at no cost he sent us his manual. We started
> doing exactly what he said to do in the manual.
>
> Exactly as we did was was written, the results were
> exactly as he said it would be. Then we purchased
> the DDR.
>
> This is an amazing god send to us. First of all,
> Jerry sent it to us without paying. (thanks for that
> gesture) This has such and AMAZING effect. This
> testimonial is kind of winded so I will say this......Jerry's
> product literally saved this dogs life.
>
> Angel can be left alone during the day. NO CRATE. The
> dog shows absolutely no sign of anxiety at all. Jerry told
> us the product works immediately and it did! She does
> not bark at all during the day except when the mailman
> drops mail into the slot on the door.
>
> The manual for training works exactly as it says!
>
> We told our vet about this and he said that there are
> all kind of gimmicks. I told my vet that as a person who
> holds a degree of higher education, there just are some
> things they don't have in the text books and he should
> be receptive to that. We are proof. Angel was one
> day from going back to the humane society.
>
> Listen to this...My wife wrote one of the so called know
> it all of pets. His response to the exact letter we
> initially wrote to Jerry..."Get rid of the dog, bring her
> back"
>
> I'll save this person embarrassment by not saying the

That was ed frawley of leersburg kennels.

> and I have this to say to you. Go pump gas or bus tables
> because you sir, do not belong working with animals!

As is the case for the rest of HOWER EXXXPERTS.

> Jerry, after reading some of the threads in the news
> group, I can't for the life of me understand why this
> many people are so dang blind or ignorant.

They're fighting for their reputations and careers.

> You just keep plugging away at what you do, because
> you my friend are a life saver!!!

INDEED. Or DEATH to the industry of behaviorISM.

> Anytime you need someone to speak about the results
> of your product, you have my number. We would gladly
> talk to them.

You think any of the EXXXPERTS wanna TALK?

> Thank you very much for all your help. God bless you...

LikeWIZE.

=====================

> > In article
> > <c603fe9c.0203260607.77c283ce@posting.google.com>,
> > testa52601@aol.com (Anthony Testa) wrote: [...]
> > > Jerry, after reading some of the threads in the news
> > > group, I can't for the life of me understand why this
> > > many people are so dang blind or ignorant.
> > > You just keep plugging away at what you do, because
> > > you my friend are a life saver!!!
>
> > Okay, who the heck ARE you, really?
>
> Who am I? My real name is posted. The story you
> have read is true.
>
> We were at witts end, found Jerry's web page by
> happenstance, wrote to him almost exactly what
> you read, he gave me his suggestions, told me
> what my results would be including a time line
> and, you know what? He was and still is, right
> on the money.
>
> I don't care if he's a warlock, a professor, disgruntled
> Entomologist, or a man with a niche that makes the
> sciences itchy, he saved the day AND a dog's life.
>
> We were given suggestions from Medication, to a
> Behavioral Specialist. I decided that instead of creating
> a Jerry Garcia or pay 125.00 dollars an hour for my
> dog to lay on a couch to be freudiated, I decided Jerry
> Howe's method seemed to be more humane and serene.
> It worked, end of story. .
>
> A. Testa

=====================

My student Anthony summed it all up:

"Alpha" <sweeney1@bigpond.com> wrote in message

> Well there you go, I was willing to believe but then jerry
> it was another hallucination of yours, just like all those
> thank you letters you write, a lie, a fabrication, a wank...
>
> > From: TESTA52601 (testa52601@aol.com)
> > Subject: Re: Thank you Jerry Howe
> > Date: 2002-03-28 10:01:34 PST
>
> > Alpha,
>
> > It's uneducated, ball breakers like you that create dismay
> > throughout this society. Get a life. you took apart a
> > letter from someone who has shown nothing but love and
> > caring, including lots of money and twisted it to YOUR
> > point. Ever consider politics?
>
> > I challenge you to show me your credentials and
> > results you come up with. The things I did with
> > the dog WAS against MY wishes. However, I
> > listen to pencil neck geeks that sit behind a monitor
> > and get 30 different suggestions.
>
> > This dog could not be happier if she was gnawing
> > on all three of your legs.
>
> > The bottom line to my letter was to tell people
> > "don't knock it until you try it"
>
> > P.S. Write me personally if you have any
> > credentials.......

======================

The Puppy Wizard
2004-11-06 17:28:05 EST
HOWEDY diana aka lush,

"Diana" <diana@dogstuffagain.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message

> "dave" <daveclarke40@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> > i have a puppy german shepard that has taken
> > to chewing everything,

Destructive chewin is an anxiHOWESNESS behavior.

> > i have purchased loads of repellant i was told to
> > use pepper so i put some in a flower pot and my
> > dog ate the soil, i purchase spry and he eats anything
> > i spray it on, i once i put a repellant plant in the flower
> > bed so he doug it up and ate it what else can i do to
> > stop him chewing my house.

THAT'S on accHOWENT of her efforts to stop his chewin.

> Are you giving him things to chew? - his own toys?

All a dog nees is WON hard and WON soft chew item.

> At about 16 weeks a pup will start to loose
> his baby 'milk' teeth and grow his adult teeth.

Destructive chewin ain't got NUTHIN to do with teething.

>Just like when humans babies teeth, this
> can be very uncomfortable,

Yeah. That don't make them chew the walls.

> so he is chewing to relieve the pain.

He'd chew his bone if he was trying to relieve pain.

He's DESTRUCTIVELY chewin to EXXXPIATE
his anxiHOWESNESS caused by mishandling.

> Its a very, very difficult stage

No it ain't.

> (I remember it only too well this time last year)

Your dog destroyed your HOWES on accHOWENT
of you abuse him you mental case. Your last dog
did the same thing.

> but it does get better -

IN FIVE YEARS?

> you just have to be patient, sympathetic and vigilant.

You're a idiot. Your own dog's got the same problem
and you got no advice other than EXXXCESSIVELY
EXXXERCISE the dog and lock IT in a box.

> When you can't directly supervise, keep him in a cage -

SEE?

> if he chews a lump of furniture and gets splinters
> in his mouth, it could be a very expensive vet trip

If you train the pup he won't chew. It only takes a
couple HOWERS to do THAT, if you know HOWE.

> (my hubby is in hospital atm with a wood splinter
> that went septic in his hand).

We'll all prey for his heelth.

> My pup particularly liked plasterboard and ate our walls!

Yeah. And he pulls incessantly on lead and you hurt him.

> Also provide him with lots of nice things that he can chew.

The Amazing Puppy Wizard recommends WON set
of chew items in an area.

> Ice cubes and frozen kongs are soothing to
> sore gums. strong rope tugger toys soaked in
> meaty gravy and frozen are also good. A little
> bonjella applied to his gums wont hurt either.

Sheer genius!

> The good news, it doesn't last long,

The teething doesn't last long. HOWEver
the destructive chewin usually lasts two years.

> if you don't let it become a habit,

Because dogs are creatures of HABIT we
can break or change HABITS nearly instantly
if you know HOWE.

> the bad news -

The bad news is you're blowin smoke up
HOWER arses again. All behavior problems
are CAUSED BY MISHANDLING.

> when he's about a year old, he'll start a second
> phase of teething,

CITES PLEASE?

> and you'll have to go through this again -

You're full of crap, lush.

> this time, he won't loose his teeth for new ones,
> but they'll just finish growing and settling in his jaw.

That's a great EXXXCUSEe but it's MALARKEY.

> Again, it doesn't last long.

You can't post here abHOWETS no doGgamenedMOORE.

> Hope this helps -

BWEEEEEEEEAHAHAHHAHAAA!!!

> please be patient with him,

You could break the behavior NEARLY INSTANTLY.

> he can't help it

No. YOU can't heelp it on accHOWENT of you're
a dog abusing mental case blowhard.

> and he will get over it.

Some dogs don't LAST that long, lush.

<"Terri"@cyberhighway

> Hey, do like me, and killfile Jerry.
> He has millions of people aleady reading his posts and
> watching him extract his soggy foot out of his mouth!
> Out of these MILLIONS, I've only seen 2 naive childs
> come forward and actually believe in his training manual.

Robert Crim writes:

I assume that I and my wife are those two naive childs
since I freely admit to having read and, I hope,
understood enough of the manual and it's counterparts by
John Fisher and the posts of Marilyn Rammell to believe
and use it.

This naive child would like to say thank you to both
Jerry and Marilyn for putting up with a constant barrage
of really infantile crap at the hands of supposedly
adult dog lovers.

The other naive child (LSW) has to put up with the
nagging idea that if people like them had been posting
earlier, maybe we would not have had to hold the head
of a really magnificent animal in our arms while he was
given the needle and having to hug him and wait until he
gasped his last gasp.

To my mind, "naive" is believing you can terrorize a dog
into good behavior. Naive is believing that people that
hide behind fake names are more honest than people that
use their real names. Naive is thinking that dilettante
dog breeders and amateur "trainers" like Joey
(lyingdogDUMMY, j.h.) are the equal or better than
those that have studied and lived by their craft for
decades.

"Stupid" is believing that people do not see kindergarten
level insults for what they are. Really stupid is believing
that people like Jerry Howe and Marilyn Rammell are
going to just go away because you people act like fools.

Why do you act like fools? I really have no idea, and I
don't really care.

> And, to date: I've not seen ONE come forward and
> actually admit to buying and having success with his
> little black box.

I think I'm going to get one myself for Father's day and
take it down to the Animal Shelter for their use and
testing. You would never believe the results, so you'll
never know.

> Anyone by now that doesn't see a scam man coming by
> Jerry's posts deserves to get what is sure to be coming
> to him! LOL!

I don't see a "scam man", so I guess I and Longsuffering
Wife and Rollei will just have to get what we deserve,
eh? As Joey (Dogman) says, "poor Rollei.".......right.

>Terri

Yes it was, and that is sad.

Robert, Longsuffering Wife and Rollei (do I get to
listen to the box first?)

===============

The Puppy Wizard. <}TPW; - ) >

ANY QUESTIONS, DUMMIES?
,-._,-,
V)"(V
(_o_) Have a great day!
/ V)
(l l l) Your Puppy Wizard. <}YPW;~} >
oo-oo

The Puppy Wizard
2004-11-06 17:44:01 EST
HOWEDY caroline,

"caroline" <nospamplease@thank.you> wrote in message
> "dave" wrote
>
> >i have a puppy german shepard that has taken
> >to chewing everything, i have purchased loads
> >of repellant i was told to use pepper so i put
> >some in a flower pot and my dog ate the soil, i
> >purchase spry and he eats anything i spray it on,
> >i once i put a repellant plant in the flower bed so
> >he doug it up and ate it what else can i do to stop
> > him chewing my house.
>
> You could try Tabasco sauce.

You could, but that seldom works.

From: Robert Crim (fritzgsd1@earthlink.net)
Subject: Non-aggressive tools.
Date: 1999/06/20

The post below was made a few days back, but not
really discussed. I am interested in the mix of tools
and how they are being used. I'm not trying to go
into definition as much as the real activities.

I am particularly interested in the opinions of Jerry
and Marylin as to how theses tools and their use fits
in with their programs. In short......Am I doing it
right?

BTW, so far the results have been good.....and fun.

Robert
=======

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:08:33 -0700 (PDT),
F*N@webtv.net (FREDERICK HASSEN) wrote:

>O.K. now we're getting somewhere. You are making the
>right decisions, but are not using Jerry Howe's
>'positive only' approach. It's not possible to
>succeed with it. "Positive only"----means just that.
> I don't understand why a "positive only" trainer
>would even be instructing you to use a leash as you
>said. Jerry makes it very clear that NO FORCE
>should be used. I'm sure you are using force in some
>fashion to stop the chewing on feet etc. I want to
>commend you on the good job (not that you need my
>approval). Really, no more questions------you've
>answered them.
Let me give you how I took care of the foot chewing
and let *you* decide if it is positive only.

When he latched on to my feet with those sharp pointy
puppy teeth, I tossed my zils (brass discs) behind
him. When he stopped, and he did quickly, I said GOOD
BOY! a lot. The next time he tried it, I jingled
them behind *my back*. When he stopped, I said GOOD
BOY! a lot.

There hasn't been a third time and he hasn't chewed
any other shoes or feet since. When I see him staring
at a shoe or foot like he wants to make a grab (I set
things up by wiggling my toes) I say GOOD BOY! and
he comes up to me for a big hug or something like
that.

Did I FORCE him? No. Was it "positive only"? I
don't think so. Not to me at least.

I really think you folks are awfully hung up on
definitions and jargon. Here are the things I use for
me and my dog.

Positive reinforcement: hugs, GOOD BOYs, training
biskits, tossing the ball when he does something
correctly or avoids doing something wrong

Negative reinforcement: Bitter Apple, tabasco sauce
(for pony piles and such), clattering pots and pans
for the top of the garbage can, chicken wire put in a
hole he's digging, etc. These thing are negative
consequences that happen and are not connected (in his
mind) to me or another person. The zils when used to
interrupt the activity.

Punishment: NO!, "HEY!" or such as that. This
doesn't happen very often if I'm paying attention to
him. Nothing physical like jerking, striking, etc.

Dominance: He waits while I go first through the
doors, up the stairs, or until I say OK at his food
bowl. I rub his belly while he rolls on his back and
stares off into space with his paws collapsed.
The zils (we call them Mr. Jingles) as used by Fisher.
Nothing like Alpha rolls or forcing into submission,
etc.

So there you have it. That's what I am using for
operating procedures or "rules of engagement."

The Puppy Wizard has enjoyed humiliating
and debunking HOWER so called EXXXPERTS
so much HE figgers you'll likeWIZE enjoy the
comedy of death terror and error. The Puppy
Wizard calls this phase of dog trainin ATTRITIION
for past crimes against man, dog, and humanity:

"A CHIN CHUCK" Makes A Resounding
Sound Distraction: "When You Chuck The
Dog The Sound Will Travel Up The Mandible
To The Ears And Give A Popping Sound To
The Dog," captain arthur haggerty.

"Puppy Problems Prevented"
CanineHealthOnline.org. - JERRYIZED

HOWEDY People,

This is the typical bullshit you're gonna find from your
expert veterinary behaviorists and expert dog trainers:

"Question:
I have a 4 month old Great Dane female puppy
who has the habit of biting and catching the lead
in her mouth to shake it in a playful manner when
we walk. I am planning to show her in conformation
and need to break this habit. I rubbed Bitter Apple
on the lead but to no avail. I am using Tabasco pepper
sauce now but it is only partially effective. I try telling
her "leave it" and pulling it downward. Any help you
can give me would be appreciated. "

The world faMOUSE cap'n arthur haggerty replies:

"This is not a difficult problem to solve but"

But our expert can't teach us HOWE to do that
without HURTIN the dog...

" it is very difficult to explain because"

Because he has NO method, only fear force confrontation
intimidation pain and aversives.

" of the many variations and nuances involved in doing so. "

IOW the lying dog abusing Thug needs to couch his words
carefully cause he can only tell us to HURT our dogs, PEOPLE!

" Your use of Bitter Apple and Tabasco sauce is not a bad
move"

That'll endear the dog to working with the handler on lead,
and establish trust love and confidence.

" and I would continue to use it."

First use aversives, and if that don't work, HURT THE DOG to
be fair... cause THAT'S ALL our dog lovers know HOWE to do.

Should take a few minutes to train this dog not to do that...
without hurtin him.

" One correction that can be used is chucking the dog under
the chin when she is biting on the leash. "

Kindly enough advice. When done correctly according to
koehler, our good captain's teacher, the dog will not realize
you are the only one with hands standin there.

" Let me briefly explain the chucking technique."

EXCELLENT! Our dog lovers here don't like to give detailed
advice, so's they don't unintentionally mislead nobody noHOWE.

" Cup your hand so that your thumb and forefinger create a
circle."

Kinda like our professor lying doc scruff shake dermer does
when he relaxes on his couch?

" Your hand comes from the bottom up to the lower portion of
the mandible so the Dane doesn't see it at all. "

Right. Although big enough to take your hand off at the
shoulder, they're big stupid dogs and won't realize it's YOU
who just slapped him in the mouth, and will not even know
you're his tormentor.

" When you chuck the dog the sound will travel up the mandible
to the ears and give a popping sound to the dog. "

AHHH YES! Sound Distraction as taught by the good capn!

" Use a verbal correction at the same time. "

You mean like offering to make a deal?

" Do it as many times as it takes to get the dog to stop. "

I've seen Danes not stop, not for over a year till the dog
was too dangerous to do anything with...except by me.

" You will not be able to deliver that correction every time
so "

So that means the variable reinforcement will negate the
method, antagonize the dog, and exacerbate the anxiety which
is causing the dog to mouth and chew on the lead to defend
himself from being jerked and choked on his pronged spiked
pinch choke collar that is necessary for these monster sized
dogs which I grew up with training serious behavior problems
without hurting them, cause the loser DIES... when you fight
with a dog that's too big to intimidate and hurt enough to
make IT respect your Godlike AUTHORITY.

" supplement it with a collar correction. "

A jerk and choke will teach the dog you are in control... and
the guy in control is the bum who's slappin him around and
jerking and choking him for objecting to being jerked and
choked in the first place, PEOPLE.

" An obedience foundation will certainly help. "

AS STATED.

" Now this is the fastest and longest lasting approach in
solving the problem. "

That so, capn? You're a liar and a dog abuser and got to get
exposed to the akc and run outta business, good buddy. We'll
be seeing a lot of each other in the very near future. This
town ain't big enough for the both of us, cap'n... I'm
worldwide.

Get outta Doge. Jerry Howe, The Puppy Wizard. <{}; ~ ) >

==================

Borrowed from: "Puppy Raising Tips" from
professional trainers, John and Amy Dahl.

"Around four months many puppies can withstand a
correction. Unfortunately this is the time they start
teething and if their mouth hurts, they may act
generally sensitive. If this is the case, be patient and
wait for all those baby teeth to fall out.

In training, retrievers often respond to physical correction
better than verbal correction. While "NO!" is extremely
useful if puppy is about to bite an electrical cord or steal
food off the table, when you are teaching them something
(like obedience) a sharp jerk on their lead or swat with a
stick gets the message across with less emotion and less
effect on their confidence.

If they drop the dummy and act like their mouth hurts
when they are teething, stop all retrieving and wait for
their mouth to feel better. A correction should be just
severe enough to get the dog to respond.

Repeated weak corrections are very stressful to the dog."

END lyingfrosty dahl

If you are interested in purchasing a dignified stick to
lay across you puppy's arse, just send a personal check
or money order in the amount of $30-$40 for a 30"-40"
long whuppin stick.

These all natural hickory switches will outlast an
entire litter of puppies! MAYBE MOORE!! Supplies
limited, so HURRY! Be the first in your club to have
the hickory switch training aid guaranteed for the life
of your dog (which may be much shorter than nature
intended!).

Ask yourself: "HOWE COME DOESN'T JERRY
HURT DOGS TO TRAIN THEM?"

And then just answer: "On AccHOWENT Of
JERRY KNOWS HOWE TO TRAIN DOGS
WITHOUT HURTING THEM."

And THEN SAY OUT LHOWED: "IGNORE
JERRY, HE'S MEAN TO DOG ABUSERS."

You can get all the information you need to
PUPPERLY handle and train your dog using
non force, non confrontational, scientific and
psychological methods, in your FREE copy
of The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits'
End Dog Training Method Manual.

Psychoclown wrote:

"Nope. That "beating dogs with sticks" things is something
you twisted out of context, because you are full of bizarro
manure."

Amy lyingfrosty dahl LIES with a straight face and says:

"I don't beat dogs, twist ears, or pinch toes. For the benefit
of anyone who is in doubt, and who chooses not to read the
article (SHE'D REALLY LIKE IT IF YOU DON'T READ IT!),
there is NO mention in it of twisting ears (INDEED, SHE
PINCHES THEM WITH SPIKES).

I would never slap a dog (SHE TEACHES PEOPLE TO
BEAT DOGS WITH STICKS TO MOTIVATE THEM).

I would never advise anyone to slap a dog (SHE'S A
PROVEN LIAR AND DOG ABUSER, do you expect her to
ADMIT THE TRUTH???).

I do not believe there is a single circumstance, ever, where
slapping a dog is anything but destructive."

RIGHT. She PINCHES, not twists... and chin cuff doesn't
mean hit, according to lyinglynn and avrama....

amy lyingfrosty dahl continues:

"Get a stick 30- or 40-inches long. You can have a helper
wield the stick, or do it yourself. Tougher, less tractable
dogs may require you to progress to striking them more
sharply.

REPEAT, VARYING HOW HARD YOU HIT THE DOG.

Now you are ready to progress to what most people think of
as force-fetching: the ear pinch.

Make the dog's need to stop the pinching so urgent that
resisting your will fades in importance.

but will squeal, thrash around, and direct their efforts to
escaping the ear pinch even get a studded collar and pinch
the ear against that if the dog still does not open its mouth,
get out the shotshell.

Try pinching the ear between the metal casing and the
collar, even the buckle on the collar. Persist! Eventually, the
dog will give in

With your hand on the collar and ear, say, 'fetch.'

Immediately tap the dog on the hindquarters with the stick.

Repeat "fetch" and pinch the ear all the way to the dummy.
You can press the dog's ear with a shotshell instead of your
thumb; Say 'fetch' while pressing the dummy against its lips
and pinching its ear."

Gotta LOVE koehler. dahl makes koheler look like St. Francis.

We're gonna teach folks THAT AIN'T NORMAL

That's HOWE COME HOWER DOG LOVERS can't
post here abHOWETS noMOORE.

The Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >

Amy Dahl writes:

"From where I sit, there is a difference. I haven't noticed
any of the contingent who like Koehler trying to force
their method on everyone, or calling others names because
they do not use the method.

I personally believe the Koehler method is a more
humane way of teaching than any alternative I have
studied.

And I am not averse to learning--I have studied a
number of methods.

Koehler, of course, stops far short of the specialized
work I do with retrievers, and some of the things in his
book, such as making the dog walk behind the handler
on the "finish," are inappropriate for retriever work.

Why do I think Koehler's method is more humane than others?

First, I don't believe "corrections vs. no corrections" is as
significant to dogs as it is to people. Applied correctly,
Koehler's method uses *no* intimidation, fear, or emotional
manipulation. It is clear and definite, and the handler's
actions are always predictable. The method is masterfully
designed to prevent confrontation or vying for control in
any way. It places high demands of responsibility on the
trainer, and takes a great deal of commitment to do correctly,
so it is not for the casual "dabbler." When done well,very
few corrections are needed.

In brief, I think the clarity, predictability, and absence
of emotional blackmail weigh more strongly in the method's
favor, than the occasional brief unpleasantness of correction
weighs against it." lying frosty dahl.

"The Koehler Method of Dog Training" Howell Book House, 1996":

"Housebreaking problems:

Occasionally, there is a pup who seems determined to
relieve himself inside the house, regardless of how
often he has the opportunity to go outside. This dog
may require punishment. Make certain he is equipped
with a collar and piece of line so he can't avoid correction.

When you discover a mess, move in fast, take him to
the place of his error, and hold his head close enough
so that he associates his error with the punishment.
Punish him by spanking him with a light strap or
switch. Either one is better than a folded newspaper.

It is important to your future relationship that you do
not rush at him and start swinging before you get hold of him.

When he's been spanked, take him outside. Chances
are, if you are careful in your feeding and close
observation, you will not have to do much punishing.
Be consistent in your handling. To have a pup almost
house-broken and then force him to commit an error by
not providing an opportunity to go outside is very
unfair. Careful planning will make your job easier.

The same general techniques of housebreaking apply
to grown dogs that are inexperienced in the house.

For the grown dog who was reliable in the house and
then backslides, the method of correction differs
somewhat. In this group of "backsliders" we have the
"revenge piddler." This dog protests being alone by
messing on the floor and often in the middle of a bed.

The first step of correction is to confine the dog
closely in a part of the house when you go away, so
that he is constantly reminded of his obligation. The
fact that he once was reliable in the house is proof
that the dog knows right from wrong, and it leaves you
no other course than to punish him sufficiently to
convince him that the satisfaction of his wrongdoing is
not worth the consequences.

If the punishment is not severe enough, some of these
"backsliders" will think they're winning and will
continue to mess in the house. An indelible impression
can sometimes be made by giving the dog a hard
spanking of long duration, then leaving him tied by the
mess he's made so you can come back at twenty
minute intervals and punish him again for the same
thing.

In most cases, the dog that deliberately does
this disagreeable thing cannot be made reliable by the
light spanking that some owners seem to think is
adequate punishment. It will be better for your dog, as
well as the house, if you really pour it on him.

Some of the new "breaking scents" on the market can
aid in your house-breaking program. One type
discourages the dog from even visiting an
area. Another encourages him to relieve himself in the
area where it is sprinkled. Your pet shop should be
able to supply further information on the brands available
in your district.

Be fair to your dog in what and when you feed him and
be consistent in your efforts to housebreak him, and
you'll soon accomplish the job.