Dog Discussion: Wee Wee Pad Retraining

Wee Wee Pad Retraining

Judah
2003-09-02 07:12:11 EST
A few weeks ago, we adopted Katie, a nearly 2 year old Peki-tzu, from
someone who lives in an apartment, and had her wee-wee pad trained for both
peeing and pooing.

The minute she came into our house, we put down a pad, showed her where it
is, and she began peeing on it. However, in the few weeks that she has been
here, she has used it for pooing just a couple of times (and when she did,
we made it a family celebration with praise and treats!)

But the rest of the time, she poos elsewhere in the house.

My wife and I differ on opinions as to how to deal with this, but the truth
is, neither of us really knows what the hell we are doing. Why has Katie
stopped pooing on the pad, and how do we explain to her that she's supposed
to poo only on the pad?

The Puppy Wizard
2003-09-02 10:48:34 EST
HOWEDY Judah,

HOWEsbreaking is INSTINCTIVE.

Your dog is messin in the HOWES to get your
undivided negative attention. Don't feed into that
or you'll reinforce the problem...

Study your FREE copy of The Puppy Wizard's FREE
WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual and
your dog will HOWEsbreak NEARLY INSTANTLY.

The Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >

"Judah" <Judah@NOSPAM.NET> wrote in message
> A few weeks ago, we adopted Katie, a nearly 2 year old Peki-tzu,
from
> someone who lives in an apartment, and had her wee-wee pad
trained for both
> peeing and pooing.
>
> The minute she came into our house, we put down a pad, showed
her where it
> is, and she began peeing on it. However, in the few weeks that
she has been
> here, she has used it for pooing just a couple of times (and
when she did,
> we made it a family celebration with praise and treats!)
>
> But the rest of the time, she poos elsewhere in the house.
>
> My wife and I differ on opinions as to how to deal with this,
but the truth
> is, neither of us really knows what the hell we are doing. Why
has Katie
> stopped pooing on the pad, and how do we explain to her that
she's supposed
> to poo only on the pad?

DogsPage.com
2003-09-02 18:16:35 EST
How often u clean the pad?? my dog doesn't like 2 pee on it if it's
been there more than 3-4 days.

Al
www.DogsPage.com

"The Puppy Wizard" <ThePuppyWizard@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<6525b.22142$Om1.19676@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> HOWEDY Judah,
>
> HOWEsbreaking is INSTINCTIVE.
>
> Your dog is messin in the HOWES to get your
> undivided negative attention. Don't feed into that
> or you'll reinforce the problem...
>
> Study your FREE copy of The Puppy Wizard's FREE
> WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual and
> your dog will HOWEsbreak NEARLY INSTANTLY.
>
> The Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >
>

> "Judah" <Judah@NOSPAM.NET> wrote in message
> > A few weeks ago, we adopted Katie, a nearly 2 year old Peki-tzu,
> from
> > someone who lives in an apartment, and had her wee-wee pad
> trained for both
> > peeing and pooing.
> >
> > The minute she came into our house, we put down a pad, showed
> her where it
> > is, and she began peeing on it. However, in the few weeks that
> she has been
> > here, she has used it for pooing just a couple of times (and
> when she did,
> > we made it a family celebration with praise and treats!)
> >
> > But the rest of the time, she poos elsewhere in the house.
> >
> > My wife and I differ on opinions as to how to deal with this,
> but the truth
> > is, neither of us really knows what the hell we are doing. Why
> has Katie
> > stopped pooing on the pad, and how do we explain to her that
> she's supposed
> > to poo only on the pad?

Pat
2003-09-04 10:15:34 EST

"Judah" <Judah@NOSPAM.NET> wrote in message
> A few weeks ago, we adopted Katie, a nearly 2 year old Peki-tzu, from
> someone who lives in an apartment, and had her wee-wee pad trained for
both
> peeing and pooing.
>
> The minute she came into our house, we put down a pad, showed her where it
> is, and she began peeing on it. However, in the few weeks that she has
been
> here, she has used it for pooing just a couple of times (and when she did,
> we made it a family celebration with praise and treats!)
>
> But the rest of the time, she poos elsewhere in the house.
>
> My wife and I differ on opinions as to how to deal with this, but the
truth
> is, neither of us really knows what the hell we are doing. Why has Katie
> stopped pooing on the pad, and how do we explain to her that she's
supposed
> to poo only on the pad?

You say you have a house...does that mean you have a garden.
If so why do you still use a pad.?
Can you not train her to use the garden.
If you just keep putting her out ...with praise when she goes.
Once you get used to her toilet pattern all will be ok.
Somewhere alone the line you dog is getting confused.
Pat.

Judah
2003-09-04 20:30:43 EST
We change the pad at least once per day, but sometimes more than that.

Except for once or twice, which I think were genuinely accidents, she hasn't
peed anywhere but on the pad. But Pooing is a different story - I somehow
think that the two or three times she pood on the pad were accidents!

E*b@yahoo.com (DogsPage.com) wrote in

> How often u clean the pad?? my dog doesn't like 2 pee on it if it's
> been there more than 3-4 days.
>
> Al
> www.DogsPage.com

Judah
2003-09-04 20:49:48 EST
"Pat" <Pat@bonniepml.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in

> You say you have a house...does that mean you have a garden.
> If so why do you still use a pad.?
> Can you not train her to use the garden.
> If you just keep putting her out ...with praise when she goes.
> Once you get used to her toilet pattern all will be ok.
> Somewhere alone the line you dog is getting confused.
> Pat.

Not so much a garden, but yes, we do have a yard.

We have been considering retraining her to go outside. But I am concerned
that this will confuse her more, since her previous owner did not have a
yard, and had her trained on the pad... Our thought was that it should be
less confusing for her to try to retrain her to go on the pad instead of
starting from "scratch" and having her go outside...

She hasn't been on a consistent schedule for going to the bathroom yet, which
is probably a big part of our problem.

Pat
2003-09-06 03:40:37 EST

> "Pat" <Pat@bonniepml.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in
>
> > You say you have a house...does that mean you have a garden.
> > If so why do you still use a pad.?
> > Can you not train her to use the garden.
> > If you just keep putting her out ...with praise when she goes.
> > Once you get used to her toilet pattern all will be ok.
> > Somewhere alone the line you dog is getting confused.
> > Pat.
> >

> Not so much a garden, but yes, we do have a yard.
>
> We have been considering retraining her to go outside. But I am concerned
> that this will confuse her more, since her previous owner did not have a
> yard, and had her trained on the pad... Our thought was that it should be
> less confusing for her to try to retrain her to go on the pad instead of
> starting from "scratch" and having her go outside...
>
> She hasn't been on a consistent schedule for going to the bathroom yet,
which
> is probably a big part of our problem.

Take the pad away and start again.
It isn't hard to re-train a dog.
That way you will be happier...so will the dog.
Just remember all dogs like to please.....so praise = pleased
Dogs are clean animals...done correct it wont take long.
Just keep putting the dog out preferable when you know she wants to go.
Stay with her...when she does what you want...give her loads of praise.
You may need to put the pad out there for a few days.
However if you do it this way...DO NOT put the pad indoors again.
As that will confuse her.
Pat.