Dog Discussion: Spay Bitch In Season?

Spay Bitch In Season?
Posts: 9

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1   (First | Last)

Hairy Arse
2004-10-12 11:02:34 EST
We've recently got a female collie cross springer spanial from a dogs trust
rescue centre (we're in the UK btw)

part of the aggrement when we got her was to have her spayed.. it's free in
wales.. where we got her from,

Was origionaly going to get her done a week after we got her, while we were
still in wales, but we had to come home suddenly, (we were out touring the
country in our motorhome)

So we planned a journey we're doing on Sunday to come back via wales, and
get her done in 2 weeks time,

That was untill last night and we noticed she'd been licking her back end a
bit too much, and i checked and she's in her season.

This is the first female dog we've ever owned.. had a male dog for 17 years
before this one, and before that i was too young to have my own dogs.

We phoned the vets up who was doing the op, and they said we can't have her
spayed now untill 2 months after she's finished.. and that'll last 21 to 28
days,
so 3 months untill we can get her done by them.. right at xmas time.

We've been looking on the net, and found that some places will spay while in
season, some just after, some say you need to let them have their first
season before spaying, some don't,

it's all confusing, and apparantly just down to the vet in question it
seems,

What is right? i could prolly find a vet who can spay her tommorow if i were
willing to pay enough, but i'm not prepared to put her health at risk, (it's
already at risk as she's is doing all she can to escape from the garden and
find a mate it seems)

Any advise is welcome.. and please not any crap about don't spay her, it's
mutilation etc.. she's not a pedegree dog, will never be shown, she's a
mongrel, and a family pet, and we want her to have a good happy life free
from the need to get pregenant every 6 months.



Caroline
2004-10-12 15:04:42 EST
"Hairy Arse" wrote
> We've recently got a female collie cross springer spanial from a dogs
trust
> rescue centre (we're in the UK btw)
>
> part of the aggrement when we got her was to have her spayed.. it's free
in
> wales.. where we got her from,
>
> Was origionaly going to get her done a week after we got her, while we
were
> still in wales, but we had to come home suddenly, (we were out touring the
> country in our motorhome)
>
> So we planned a journey we're doing on Sunday to come back via wales, and
> get her done in 2 weeks time,
>
> That was untill last night and we noticed she'd been licking her back end
a
> bit too much, and i checked and she's in her season.
>
> This is the first female dog we've ever owned.. had a male dog for 17
years
> before this one, and before that i was too young to have my own dogs.
>
> We phoned the vets up who was doing the op, and they said we can't have
her
> spayed now untill 2 months after she's finished.. and that'll last 21 to
28
> days,
> so 3 months untill we can get her done by them.. right at xmas time.
>
> We've been looking on the net, and found that some places will spay while
in
> season, some just after, some say you need to let them have their first
> season before spaying, some don't,
>
> it's all confusing, and apparantly just down to the vet in question it
> seems,
>
> What is right? i could prolly find a vet who can spay her tommorow if i
were
> willing to pay enough, but i'm not prepared to put her health at risk,
(it's
> already at risk as she's is doing all she can to escape from the garden
and
> find a mate it seems)
>
> Any advise is welcome.. and please not any crap about don't spay her, it's
> mutilation etc.. she's not a pedegree dog, will never be shown, she's a
> mongrel, and a family pet, and we want her to have a good happy life free
> from the need to get pregenant every 6 months.

Hi Hairy

Can you tell me how old she is?

Its OK to wait just one month after her season finishes.

Its *not* OK to perform the operation *during* her season. For one thing
you'll leave her hormones way up high in the sky, and you'll have one very
confused dog.

Best to be patient, wait out the season and keep her under constant
vigilance, wait a further month and book her in again at the vets.

With regard to your final paragraph, I fully agree with your sentiments but
will add that you probably have it written into your adoption agreement, and
thus you'll find the rescue can reclaim their dog if you don't have it done.



Fluttervale Labradors
2004-10-12 23:51:04 EST


"Hairy Arse" <nosp@m.ta> wrote in message
news:ckgrma$evk$1@sparta.btinternet.com...
> We've recently got a female collie cross springer spanial from a dogs
trust
> rescue centre (we're in the UK btw)
>
> part of the aggrement when we got her was to have her spayed.. it's free
in
> wales.. where we got her from,
>
> Was origionaly going to get her done a week after we got her, while we
were
> still in wales, but we had to come home suddenly, (we were out touring the
> country in our motorhome)
>
> So we planned a journey we're doing on Sunday to come back via wales, and
> get her done in 2 weeks time,
>
> That was untill last night and we noticed she'd been licking her back end
a
> bit too much, and i checked and she's in her season.
>
> This is the first female dog we've ever owned.. had a male dog for 17
years
> before this one, and before that i was too young to have my own dogs.
>
> We phoned the vets up who was doing the op, and they said we can't have
her
> spayed now untill 2 months after she's finished.. and that'll last 21 to
28
> days,
> so 3 months untill we can get her done by them.. right at xmas time.
>
> We've been looking on the net, and found that some places will spay while
in
> season, some just after, some say you need to let them have their first
> season before spaying, some don't,
>
> it's all confusing, and apparantly just down to the vet in question it
> seems,
>
> What is right? i could prolly find a vet who can spay her tommorow if i
were
> willing to pay enough, but i'm not prepared to put her health at risk,
(it's
> already at risk as she's is doing all she can to escape from the garden
and
> find a mate it seems)
>
> Any advise is welcome.. and please not any crap about don't spay her, it's
> mutilation etc.. she's not a pedegree dog, will never be shown, she's a
> mongrel, and a family pet, and we want her to have a good happy life free
> from the need to get pregenant every 6 months.
>
>

The reason that many vets discourage spaying her while she's in heat is due
to the greater risk of infection. I'd wait the two months as advised by
your rescue, unless you feel she's at significant risk of getting out of
your garden, in which case I'd spay her ASAP.

--
Emily Carroll
Fluttervale Labradors: www.fluttervale.com/kennel
Canine Biography: www.fluttervale.com/biography
Please visit CPG, The Oldest Cyber Animal Game on the Web:
http://www.geocities.com/cyberpetgame


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.773 / Virus Database: 520 - Release Date: 10/5/2004



Sunflower
2004-10-13 01:34:03 EST
We routinely spay females in season in our clinic with no problems
whatsoever. There is an extra charge because it's a bit extra bloody. She
will still bleed vaginally for a while and she will still be scented enough
to attract males and to want to mate, even though she has stitches. As long
as your dog is young and healthy, there really is no medical reason to
postpone the spay just because she is in season---other than vets don't like
to do it then. Most vets who work with rescue groups usually will spay them
in season, so I'd phone the group you got her from and ask for a
recommendation to another vet who works with them if this one is reluctant
to perform the operation now.



The Puppy Wizard
2004-10-13 15:48:28 EST
HOWEDY sunflHOWER,

"Sunflower" <sunflwrNOSPAM@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
news:f73bd.298105$787.1501@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
>
> We routinely spay females in season in our
> clinic with no problems whatsoever.

That so? You routinely MURDER dogs an
kats for ringworm. REMEMBER? You
MURDERED a whole shelter full of critters
for fear of RINGWORM.

> There is an extra charge because it's a bit extra bloody.

That so?

> She will still bleed vaginally for a while

That's not desirable. Is it, sunflHOWER.

> and she will still be scented enough to attract
> males and to want to mate, even though she
> has stitches.

That's fortunate, ain't it.

> As long as your dog is young and healthy,
> there really is no medical reason to

Surgically mutilate IT, sunflHOWER?

You clearly don't care abHOWET the dog.

> postpone the spay just because she is in season-
> --other than vets don't like to do it then.

They don't LIKE to do it on accHOWENT
of it ain't HEELTHY for the bitch.

> Most vets who work with rescue groups
> usually will spay them in season,

Or the RESCUE DOG LOVERS will MURDER
them on accBHOWENT of SPACE.

> so I'd phone the group you got her from and
> ask for a recommendation to another vet who
> works with them if this one is reluctant
> to perform the operation now.

You're a dog abusing mental case.
From: Sunflower (sunflwr@midsouth.rr.com)
Subject: Re: Invisible fences
Date: 2004-03-09 05:02:33 PST

If you already have a fence, then a plain old
electric wire similar to those used for livestock
will work the best and be the cheapest and
easiest to install--by yourself even. You can
probably get everything you need for less than
$100 at the co-op, and that included the controller.

Just run a strand around the bottom of the fence
you already have. It's practically invisible, and
boy does it work!

> I simply asked if a male would be interested in
> mating with a female who is not in heat.

Only if the sex is good.

> I did not say I was interested in breeding the two dogs.

Your pal sunflHOWER is INSANE.

> I did not imply in any way that I was interested in
> making a profit off my dog who is a part of my family -
> not an investment.

sunflHOWER is a Rescue Angel of DEATH.

> So, please, take your response to my simple
> question and shove it up your arse.

Thank you, Lisa. We've got dog abusers liars
cowards and mental cases hurting and murderin
dogs and trying to make YOU look like you're
PROFITTING off of sellin dogs, like they do.

> Thank you and have a lovely day.

Stick arHOWEND...

> Lisa.

Here's sunflHOWER MURDERING a whole "shelter"
full of critters cause THEY got RING WORM and
YOU'RE INSANE and a COWARD:

Subject: Re: Shelter ringworm
Date: 2003-09-27 22:22:04 PST

HOWEDY Sunflower,

"Sunflower" <sunflwrNOSPAM@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
news:eFfdb.1028$oC5.98@clmboh1-nws5.columbus.rr.com...
>
> We are learning a hard lesson. We have a ringworm
> problem out of control at our shelter.

Ringworm is a fungus infection. It DIES pretty EZ if
you treat it pupperly. The biggest part of the problem
is FINDING it to treat it. The EZ part is it shows up
fluorescent green under UV lite.

> Instead of being proactive and euthanizing the
> 4 that originally had it,

You mean KILL critters for havin "athlete's foot?"

> we are now having to euthanize 20

THAT'S INSANE!!!

> per our municipality's orders "because of public safety".

Well, tell them to shove it. Lock the goddamned doors when
those cretins come by and go to court and get a restraining
order against them barring them from harassing you.

What municipality is that, bye the bye. The Puppy Wizard
would LOVE to know who they are.

> We have had some Program donated to help manage
> things, and are planning to treat the remaining 14 that
> are asymptomatic under Woods lamp exposure (but
> which probably still have it anyway).

That's NOT a treatment.

Woods lamp is a ultraviolet light for diagnosing it.

> This is a hearbreaking

No. What's heartbreakin is that you'd tolerate KILLIN your
critters cause of a FUNGUS infection.

> and expensive lesson for any shelter to learn,

Well, you're probably not using the best treatment and you're
not knowledgeable enough to be in this business, anyHOWE.

> so please please if you do not have a *real* isolation area
> or a foster parent willing to take ringworm infected animals
> into their home for a complete cure (not just abatement of
> the obvious symptoms) then do your shelter a favor and
> euthanize immediately.

Oh, thank you for the excellent advice!

> You may still end up with problems, but not like this.

You got any psychiatric help available in your community?

The Puppy Wizard recommends you close your "shelter"
and GET HOWET of the SHELTER / RESCUE business
if you're gonna MURDER the critters that are dependent
on your HELP. They'd be better off in traffic.

Or, do the only honorable thing and take them all to kat
heaven with you and colon wilson and katra.

> I just wanted to, well, I don't know what.

You know what to do. DO IT. That's the only honorable
way to save face.

> I'm sad that we have to kill this many animals.

No. Sad ain't the problem. You're either STUPID
or MENTAL or BOTH.

> I'm mad that people's good hearts ruled their heads and
> now we have to kill a lot more than we would have.

Psst, heal yourself first. Do the right thing. Don't blame
STUPID PEOPLE for HELPING sick animals, blame
yourself for wantin to KILL THEM for havin a common
child's DIS-EASE.

> And, I'm even madder that I'm viewed as the bad person

Are you in a position to DO sumpthin abHOWET some psychopath AC or
health department official who'd probably
lose his goddamned job over this if the media ever gets
hold of this story???

YOU'RE THE MENTAL CASE who's GONNA KILL them.

> in this because euthanasia is what I initially recommended,

BWEEAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA A!!!

GET HOWETA HERE YOU MISERABLE CRETIN!

> and now that my predictions of an epidemic have come
> true, all of the people who "just couldn't bear it" if we
> killed those cats won't step forward and put a cage of them
> in a spare bathroom at their home and treat them themself,

Well, you can put them in a few crates and bring them
to The Puppy Wizard's HOWES and HE'LL treat them
till they're healthy enough for you to MURDER cause you
can't find HOWES to keep them.

HOWE'S THAT SHOWEND???

> but once again view me as the bad person

INDEEDY. You'd kill critters for havin a fungus infection.

> because I'm the only one willing to deal with taking them
> in to the vet for euthanasia.

You mean to be MURDERED because you're too stupid
to deal with a case of ringworm like most every school
or camp nurse has treated since the first kid came dHOWEN
with it.

> And yes, I have a cage of fosters in my garage undergoing
> treatment right now.

WELL, pull your car inside after filin the tank, and shut the
door and run the motor till you've successfully killed all
the ringworm.

> I can't do it all though.

O.K. Let the kats HOWETA the garage before you
shut the door and start the engine, kat lover.

> And I'm almost bone tired of trying.

Well, The Puppy Wizard's ringworm cure is just the
medicine for you AIN'T IT, kat lover. Be SHORE to
fill the tank, we don't want no accidents that could
leave you HURTIN.

> Sunflower.

Sunflower? Shoulda been named skunk cabbage.

The Ringworm Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >

Subject: Re: People Who Shouldn't Have Dogs
Date: 2004-05-19 21:13:41 PST

HOWEDY sunflower,

"Sunflower" <sunflwrNOSPAM@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
news:6pRBb.2546$l%1.675@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
>
> "Tim Knight" <tknight249nevercatchme@canada.com> wrote in
message
>
news:B5PBb.10672$kr2.8995@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
>
> > We are newbies to puppy ownership so please
> > forgive if this is a stupid question.

What's STUPID is askin mentally incompetent
liars and dog abusers for heelp with a problem
they don't know HOWE to handle.

> > Koda, the puppy, has been 'humping' my five year old. <snip>
> > Thanks,
> > Tim Knight
> >
> Has he been neutered yet?

That's IDIOCY. Neutering makes 15% of dogs
AGGRESSIVE and does NUTHIN for behavior
prolbems.

> Sometimes those awakening hormones will
> cause "issues" as well as dominance behavior.

Only dog abusers and cowards think of puppy
humping as dominance.

> Optimally, puppies should be spay/neutered
> just before they begin to reach sexual maturity

That's idiocy. You're a dog abuser and a mental case.

> and you'll have less behavior problems.

That's a load of crap. ALL behavior problems
are caused by MISHANDLING.

> Sexual maturity can occur as early as 6 months,

That's irrelevent.

> and basically is rather like a 13 year old
> human who "can", but in no way "should".

No, basically it's like a little puppy masturbating.
That's none of your business unless you know
HOWE to train him not to do that.

You don't.

Neither does professor SCRUFF SHAKE, so
you shouldn't feel like you're the only dog abusin
imbecile here abHOWETS.

That all you got to say? Just neuter the pup
and that'll FIX it? Suppose it doesn't? Then
what you gonna tell him, get rid of the dog
like you've told a other poster for a separation
anxiety problem???

You're a MENTAL CASE. You think you're
some sort of shelter / rescue saviour. All
you know is HURT and KILL and MUTILATE
and AVOID behaviors you can't train and blame
the dog or breed for you not bein able to HOWEtwit
the cunning of the domestic puppy dog.

You can't post here abHOWETS noMOORE.

The Puppy Wizard. <{} ; ~ ) >



Song
2004-10-13 23:28:52 EST

"Sunflower" <sunflwrNOSPAM@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
news:f73bd.298105$787.1501@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> We routinely spay females in season in our clinic with no problems
> whatsoever. There is an extra charge because it's a bit extra bloody.
She
> will still bleed vaginally for a while and she will still be scented
enough
> to attract males and to want to mate, even though she has stitches. As
long
> as your dog is young and healthy, there really is no medical reason to
> postpone the spay just because she is in season---other than vets don't
like
> to do it then. Most vets who work with rescue groups usually will spay
them
> in season, so I'd phone the group you got her from and ask for a
> recommendation to another vet who works with them if this one is reluctant
> to perform the operation now.
>

In 1984, when I adopted my late Siberian Husky, Belka, she came into heat a
few days after I got her. I called the vet (in Gold Beach, OR) and she was
spayed the following day. She did still bleed a bit, as you say, but there
was never a problem otherwise. Maybe the vets weren't as fussy 20 years
ago.

...as you were...

Susan



The Puppy Wizard
2004-10-14 02:53:01 EST
Hey? Ever think maybe your vet DON'T CARE?

Ever think that if the dog gets SICK he'll SELL you antibiotics
and anything else he can rape you for
while he's murderin your dog for you.

If you feeble imbeciles can't CONTRAIN a bitch
for three weeks witHOWET lettin her get HOWET
then you shouldn't have a dog to begin with.

Wouldn't you agree?


"song" <some1@home-on-the-ranch.com> wrote in message
news:Unmbd.9488$Yr.1809@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com...
>
> "Sunflower" <sunflwrNOSPAM@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:f73bd.298105$787.1501@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> > We routinely spay females in season in our clinic with no
problems
> > whatsoever. There is an extra charge because it's a bit extra
bloody.
> She
> > will still bleed vaginally for a while and she will still be
scented
> enough
> > to attract males and to want to mate, even though she has
stitches. As
> long
> > as your dog is young and healthy, there really is no medical
reason to
> > postpone the spay just because she is in season---other than
vets don't
> like
> > to do it then. Most vets who work with rescue groups usually
will spay
> them
> > in season, so I'd phone the group you got her from and ask for
a
> > recommendation to another vet who works with them if this one
is reluctant
> > to perform the operation now.
> >
>
> In 1984, when I adopted my late Siberian Husky, Belka, she came
into heat a
> few days after I got her. I called the vet (in Gold Beach, OR)
and she was
> spayed the following day. She did still bleed a bit, as you
say, but there
> was never a problem otherwise. Maybe the vets weren't as fussy
20 years
> ago.
>
> ...as you were...
>
> Susan
>
>



Rosa
2004-10-14 18:20:52 EST
I once asked a vet when you should get a bitch spayed. He said that he
prefers to do it when the uterus is small, in between seasons. During the
heat, he claimed, the risk of not getting everything out is bigger because
of the blood and swollen uterus. Even small pieces of tissue left behind may
produce enough hormones that the bitch will act like she is in heat and
smell like it too.

I might have misunderstood something, and it is a few years ago, but this is
what I understood - I think I atleast got the idea right.

Rosa



The Puppy Wizard
2004-10-15 07:29:22 EST
HOWEDY Rosa,

The PROBLEM is the dog BEING IN HEAT
MEANS the INCREASE of estrogen DECREASES
the AUTO-IMMUNE SYSTEM and therefore spayin
while in heat may MURDER the dog.

But THAT'S no PROBLEM for RESCUE DOG LOVERS.

IS IT.

The Amazing Puppy Wizard. <{) ; ~ ) >



"Rosa" <i.don't@think.so> wrote in message
news:oTCbd.2756$n06.1437@reader1.news.jippii.net...
> I once asked a vet when you should get a bitch spayed. He said
that he
> prefers to do it when the uterus is small, in between seasons.
During the
> heat, he claimed, the risk of not getting everything out is
bigger because
> of the blood and swollen uterus. Even small pieces of tissue
left behind may
> produce enough hormones that the bitch will act like she is in
heat and
> smell like it too.
>
> I might have misunderstood something, and it is a few years ago,
but this is
> what I understood - I think I atleast got the idea right.
>
> Rosa
>
>


Page: 1   (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron