Dog Discussion: Ontario, Canada Considers Banning Pitbulls !!

Ontario, Canada Considers Banning Pitbulls !!

Bugsy
2004-09-01 18:06:07 EST
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1093990212754&call_pageid=968256289824&col=968342212737

Growing call to outlaw pit bulls
Attorney general gets 'thousand' e-mails already
But animal experts say specific-breed ban won't work

RICHARD BRENNAN AND MOIRA WELSH
STAFF REPORTERS

Attorney General Michael Bryant says the overwhelming response to his
proposal to ban pit bulls has him more determined than ever to rid Ontario
of the often vicious dogs.

"Within hours of the Star story hitting the pavement we received hundreds of
e-mails and people informing me of pit bull incidents that had never been
reported, and pit bull owners, of course, expressing their concerns," Bryant
said yesterday.

"We've got a thousand already and we anticipate that it will be in the
thousands," he said.

Bryant said yesterday he is considering a province-wide ban on pit bulls
after a vicious attack on a 25-year-old Toronto man last weekend.

Police shot up to 16 bullets at the two dogs, but one was still alive until
an officer used a mattress to suffocate it.

Animal experts, however, say the blame lies with owners who train the
animals to be vicious.

"The whole idea of banning certain breeds is just ridiculous," said Dr. Tim
Zaharchuk, president of the Ontario Veterinary Medical Association.

"As a breed, pit bulls are not any worse than any other dog. But you can't
legislate against human ignorance or stupidity.

"I know of many clients that are very responsible owners of pit bulls and
these are the most loving dogs that you could ever imagine. But there is a
sub-set of owners that ... associate the breed with a certain level of
machismo. They are generally young men who want to look tough, so they want
the big muscular dog and promote that kind of aggressive behaviour."

The owner of the dogs in last weekend's downtown attack will not face
charges, police said.

"They are not warranted," said Sergeant Pat McGrade. In fact, the victim was
the dogs' breeder and had known them since they were born, McGrade said.

"He bred them and gave the puppies to his friend, so he's known these dogs
all their lives. He has no idea what set them off," McGrade said.

"The owner was very much apologetic, very concerned about the health and
well-being of his friend. That was his main concern." The owner, who police
said works in downtown Toronto, has visited his friend several times in
hospital since the 3 a.m. attack Sunday at Isabella and Church Sts. The
victim was walking the dogs for his friend.

Dr. Bonnie Beaver, president of the American Veterinary Medical Association,
said the dogs could have been set off by something as simple as the odor of
another dog on clothing.

"The pit bull types of dogs, once they get excited, they lose their
intellectual brain and get into their `I'll just keep going brain," said
Beaver, who practises at Texas A&M University's small-animal clinic. "They
stop thinking and they react emotionally.... If you've got a big dog, their
mouth is going to do a lot of damage. It doesn't matter what kind of breed."

Banning specific breeds doesn't work, she said.

Pit bulls aren't an actual breed but are defined by physical characteristics
or because they are Staffordshire or Boston terriers.

"If you don't have a breed, how do you ban it? You'd have to ban all dogs
that stand up to three and a half feet at the shoulders, weigh 50 to 75
pounds, have roundish heads and heavy muscle development. That would include
boxers, Dobermans, Labradors and on and on."

After a series of attacks in 1996, Kitchener-Waterloo banned pit bulls.
Kitchener and Waterloo have had no reports of pit bull attacks on people
this year, while Cambridge - with no such ban - has had three, said Curt
Monk, manager of health protection for Waterloo Region.

Finding the banned dogs is one of the biggest challenges animal control
officers face, said Ward McAlister, the manager of the Kitchener-Waterloo
Humane Society. Proving that animals are pit bulls or pit bull crosses can
also be challenging.

But Toronto city Councillor Kyle Rae, whose ward was the scene of the
attack, said it is high time the dogs are outlawed.

"I can see a child being overwhelmed by a dog, but when you have a
200-pound, 6-foot-2-inch man, dealing with the dogs on a lead and he cannot
deal with it, that for me is the indication that this has got to stop.
Clearly there is something wrong here," Rae (Ward 27, Toronto
Centre-Rosedale) said.

Councillor Paula Fletcher (Ward 30, Toronto-Danforth), vice-chair of the
Toronto board of health, is asking the medical officer of health to explore
a ban on pit bulls and a review of all animal control bylaws, such as the
muzzling of certain dogs.

Ontario's Municipal Act gives municipalities the right to ban dog breeds.
But Bryant said provincial measures are better than municipal bans, because
dogs can be bred or sold in one community while a neighbour restricts them.

Bryant said he was pleased to get support yesterday for a province-wide ban
from Toronto police Chief Julian Fantino.

"He related to me the number of incidents where police officers have (had)
to face these pit bulls ... (which) far too often are being used as weapons
against the officers, which causes him great concern."

In Ottawa yesterday, Premier Dalton McGuinty said that his government is
serious about restricting pit bulls. "Number 1, they have been bred for
their aggressivity and ferocity. Two, they are, when fighting or attacking,
relatively impervious to pain. Three, their jaw strength is exceptionally
strong. If you have a ferocious chihuahua, it's not an issue," McGuinty
said.

But Dr. Karol Mathews, the veterinarian in charge of emergency and critical
care unit at the University of Guelph's Ontario Veterinary College, said she
and her colleagues have never had a problem with pit bulls.

"As a dog I have to take care of, because they are ill or injured, I would
say they are model patients," Mathews said.

"They are wonderful. From a medical perspective, we've all been bitten by
something. But I don't think any of us has ever been bitten by a pit bull."

with files from Vivian Song, Mary Gordon, Stacey Ash, Canadian Press

The Puppy Wizard
2004-09-01 19:13:22 EST
HOWEDY Bugsy,

It's nice of you to care, but there's NUTHIN
decent people can do abHOWET this. The
PROBLEM ain't the dog, the media, the
politics, or even the bite statistics.

The PROBLEM is the HYSTERIA generated
by the Pit Bull LOVERS, the BREEDERS
the BREED FANCIERS, the BEHAVIORISTS
TRAINERS and SHELTER / RESCUE DOG
LOVERS who promote fable myth faerie
tails and mistaken alphalpha and genetic
THEORYS and MURDER their FAVORITE
BREED ON THEIR FIRST GRHOWEL at a
human and ACCEPT that their favorite breed
is generally UN SAFE with other decent human
being's pet dogs and WARN J.Q. Pubic to
EXXXPECT them to MURDER INNOCENT
DOGS on accHOWENT of THAT is what they
was BRED for.

HOWER behaviorIST Dr. Bonnie Beaver,
president of the American Veterinary Medical
Association, sez: "the dogs could have been
set off by something as simple as the odor of
another dog on clothing."

The Amazing Puppy Wizard has never seen
that happen in forty sumpthin years of specializing
in temperament and behavior problems in mostly
giant breed workin dogs.

Dra. Beaver, who practises at Texas A&M University's
small-animal clinic CONtinues: "The pit bull types of
dogs, once they get excited, they lose their intellectual
brain and get into their `I'll just keep going brain,"

Dra. Beaver FORGETS, A DOG IS A DOG.

> "They stop thinking and they react emotionally.... "

ALL Critters Only Respond In
PREDICTABLE INNATE NORMAL NATURAL
INSTINCTIVE REFLEXIVE Ways
To Situations And Circumstances Of Their Environment
Which We Create For Them.

> If you've got a big dog,

A DOG IS A DOG.

> their mouth is going to do a lot of damage.

Even if the physcial damage is slight the
emotional shock of being attacked by a
dog can have devastating PTSD effects.

> It doesn't matter what kind of breed."

A DOG IS A DOG.

Toronto city Councillor Kyle Rae, whose ward was
the scene of the attack, said it is high time the dogs
are outlawed. "I can see a child being overwhelmed
by a dog, but when you have a 200-pound, 6-foot-2-
inch man, dealing with the dogs on a lead and he
cannot deal with it, that for me is the indication that
this has got to stop. Clearly there is something wrong
here," Rae (Ward 27, Toronto Centre-Rosedale) said.

AGREED.

HOWEver, Councilman Ray overlooks the FACT
that even a twenty P-HOWEND Scotty Dog could
take HOWET two, two hundred P-HOWEND 6'2"
men.

What's WRONG HERE, is HOWE dogs and
children are handled and trained, not their
BREED, genetics, or puporse for which they
was bred.

A DOG IS A DOG.

The SOLUTION is to teach HOWER DOG LOVERS
HOWE to raise and train dogs withHOWET FEAR
FORCE INTIMIDATION BRIBES AVOIDANCE
DENIAL WITHHOLDING ATTENTION AFFECTION
and physical restraint or emotional duress.

JUST LIKE HOWE it's TAUGHT in your FREE
copy of The Amazing Puppy Wizard's FREE
WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual
available FOR FREE at http://www.doggdoright.com

"A Dog Is A Dog As A Kat Is A Kat
As A Birdie Is A Birdie
As A Child Is A Child
As A SP-HOWES Is a SP-HOWES.
ALL Critters Only Respond In
PREDICTABLE INNATE NORMAL NATURAL
INSTINCTIVE REFLEXIVE Ways
To Situations And Circumstances Of Their Environment
Which We Create For Them.

ALL BEHAVIOR PROBLEMS
ARE CAUSED BY
MISHANDLING.

Damn The Descartean War of
"Nature Vs Nurture."
We Teach By HOWER Words And Actions
And GET BACK
What We TAUGHT.

In The Problem Animal Behavior BUSINESS
FAILURE MEANS DEATH.
SAME SAME,
For The Problem Child Behavior BUSINESS.

"If You Talk With The Animals,
They Will Talk With You
And You Will Know Each Other.

If You Do Not Talk To Them,
You Will Not Know Them,
And What You Do Not Know
You Will Fear.

What One Fears, One Destroys,"
Chief Dan George,
adapted with permission from his FREE
copy of The Puppy Wizard's FREE Wits'
End Dog Training Method Manual.

"(Also, it is best to killfile posts from the few
regulars here who are either ill-tempered,
ill-mannered, or just plain ill.),"
--Marshall

The Puppy Wizard's SYNDROME is the perfect
synergy of love, pride, desire, self will, greed,
ego, fear, hate, arrogance, disbelief, jealousy,
embarrassment, embellishment, shame, guilt,
anger, aversion, attraction, revulsion, change,
permanence, enlightenment, insult, attrition,
and conditioning.

It's the perfect fusion of The Word...,
in the physical.

It's time for the dog training industry and
the universities who TEACH "behaviorists"
to DEFEND THEIR METHODS against 100%
NEAR INSTANT TOTAL SUCCESS as PROVEN
by the C-HOWENTLESS NEARLY INSTANTLY
SUCCESSFUL FREE WWW Wits' End Dog
Training Method Manual Student's REPORTS,
after they've "TRIED ALL OTHER METHODS
and FAILED".

ALL BEHAVIOR PROBLEMS ARE
CAUSED BY MISHANDLING.
Damn The Descartean War of "Nature Vs Nurture."
We Teach By HOWER Words And Actions
And GET BACK What We TAUGHT.

"The day may come when the rest of the animal creation
may acquire those rights
which never could have been withholden from them
but by the hand of tyranny.
The question is not can they REASON,
nor can they TALK,
but can they SUFFER?" -
- Jeremy Bentham

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised
for the good of its victims,
may be the most oppressive.
Those who torment us for our own good
will torment us without end,
for they do so with the approval of
their own conscience." -
- C.S. Lewis.

"Death is better, a milder fate than tyranny",
Aeschylus (525BC-456BC),
Agamemnon.

"Only the unenlightened speak of wisdom and
right action as separate, not the wise. If any man
knows one, he enjoys the fruit of both.

The level which is reached by wisdom is attained
through right action as well. He who perceives that
the two are one knows the truth."

"Even the wise man acts in character with his nature,
indeed all creatures act according to their natures.

What is the use of compulsion then?

The love and hate which are aroused by the objects
of sense arise from Nature, do not yield to them.

They only obstruct the path." Bhagavad Gita, adapted
by Krishna with permission from His FREE copy of The
Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training
Method Manual.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress
can be judged
by the way its animals are treated."
~ Mohandas Gandhi --
Adapted with permission from his FREE
copy of The Puppy Wizard's FREE Wits'
End Dog Training Method Manual. <}TPW ; ~ ) >

Force training JERRYIZES dogs...
and GETS THEM DEAD.

All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
-Arthur Schopenhauer

"Thank you for fighting the fine fight--
even tho it's a hopeless task,
in this system of things.
As long as man is ruling man,
there will be animals (and humans!)
abused and neglected. :-(
Your student," Juanita.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts
and minds will follow,"
John Wayne.

The Amazing Puppy Wizard. <{}TPW ; ~ } >

"Bugsy" <2@2.com> wrote in message

> [...]
exceptionally
> strong. If you have a ferocious chihuahua, it's not an issue,"
McGuinty
> said.
>
> But Dr. Karol Mathews, the veterinarian in charge of emergency
and critical
> care unit at the University of Guelph's Ontario Veterinary
College, said she
> and her colleagues have never had a problem with pit bulls.
>
> "As a dog I have to take care of, because they are ill or
injured, I would
> say they are model patients," Mathews said.
>
> "They are wonderful. From a medical perspective, we've all been
bitten by
> something. But I don't think any of us has ever been bitten by a
pit bull."

> with files from Vivian Song, Mary Gordon, Stacey Ash, Canadian

Pipi91
2004-09-02 07:20:17 EST
Some more evidence that Canada is very civilized.

> [...]
attacking,
> relatively impervious to pain. Three, their jaw strength is exceptionally
> strong. If you have a ferocious chihuahua, it's not an issue," McGuinty
> said.
>
> But Dr. Karol Mathews, the veterinarian in charge of emergency and
critical
> care unit at the University of Guelph's Ontario Veterinary College, said
she
> and her colleagues have never had a problem with pit bulls.
>
> "As a dog I have to take care of, because they are ill or injured, I would
> say they are model patients," Mathews said.
>
> "They are wonderful. From a medical perspective, we've all been bitten by
> something. But I don't think any of us has ever been bitten by a pit
bull."

> with files from Vivian Song, Mary Gordon, Stacey Ash, Canadian Press

Rich
2004-09-02 11:01:24 EST
the blame lies with owners

Horch92
2004-09-02 12:53:11 EST
So, do we gas the owners or the pitbulls???

"Rich" <Rich@anon.com> wrote in message
> the blame lies with owners

Culprit
2004-09-02 17:15:39 EST

"horch92" <audi93@AnyOneButBush94.org> wrote in message
> So, do we gas the owners or the pitbulls???

the owners, obviously. if we gas the dogs, the owners will just latch onto
another breed. you have stop the problem at the source.

-kelly

Mr. Metaxa
2004-09-02 19:33:06 EST
"culprit" <culprit@flashmail.com> wrote in

> "horch92" <audi93@AnyOneButBush94.org> wrote in message
>> So, do we gas the owners or the pitbulls???
>
> the owners, obviously. if we gas the dogs, the owners will just
> latch onto
> another breed. you have stop the problem at the source.
>
> -kelly

Fine, punish them severly as well.
But you MUST gas a dog that is bred for no other reason than to kill.
Live with it, deal with it.
Pet Black Widow Spiders are harmless until they bite as well.
Get it?

Mr. Metaxa

R Meyer
2004-09-04 14:49:25 EST
"culprit" <culprit@flashmail.com> wrote in message

> "horch92" <audi93@AnyOneButBush94.org> wrote in message
> > So, do we gas the owners or the pitbulls???
>
> the owners, obviously. if we gas the dogs, the owners will just latch
onto
> another breed. you have stop the problem at the source.
>
> -kelly

You're only too right, Kelly. A friend of mine was attacked recently by two
dogs belonging to a drunk. One of the dogs, an amstaff, was put to sleep by
the police. The other dog, a german shepherd, was allowed to live. Both dogs
participated equally in the attack, btw. Two days ago, the same drunk
ordered his german shepherd to attack three little Pakistani children
playing by their house. Two of the children ran and made it inside in time,
but the third one - a 3yo girl - fell and hit her head pretty badly. The dog
stood over her, ripping at her clothes while the drunk laughed. My friend,
who'd been attacked before, was there and saw the whole thing. But the
police, when called about the incident, said they didn't have the time to
investigate the crime (they only do something when the offending dog is a
pitbull or amstaff, obviously).

Rox

H*@whoever.com
2004-09-09 12:48:45 EST
"R Meyer" <hundeliste@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<413a0d60$1@news.broadpark.no>...

> (they only do something when the offending dog is a
> pitbull or amstaff, obviously).

Are you saying that a person can get away with ordering their dog to
attack a child? Don't dogs normally get put down over something like
that?

H*@whoever.com
2004-09-09 13:06:26 EST
"Bugsy" <2@2.com> wrote in message news:<GGrZc.18164$CG3.1214611@news20.bellglobal.com>...

> "As a breed, pit bulls are not any worse than any other dog. But you can't
> legislate against human ignorance or stupidity.

* * * * * * * * * * *
* *
* B U L L S H I T *
* *
* * * * * * * * * * *

I am sick and tired of idiotic doughhead morons saying things like
"it's the owner, not the dog".

After ALL this evidence, it is C H R Y S T A L C L E A R ! ! !
that something is SERIOUSLY wrong with the breed called pitbull. They
simply can not be trusted. It is considered normal and not unexpected
if ANY pitbull, and I mean ANY PITBULL ANYWHERE ANYPLACE ANYTIME,
could turn against anyone if the mood is right. The dog for instance
could have gotten some cake as a treat. The sugar could put it in a
cranky mood, just like a child gets cranky after eating too much
sugar. Next thing you know: B A N G ! ! ! and it start mouling away.

I stepped on a Golden Retrievers tail once, it didn't even piep or
nothing. Same risky breed as a pitbull?... didn't think so...