Dog Discussion: (((( Golden Retriever Cough ))))

(((( Golden Retriever Cough ))))

Frank T
2004-08-23 22:29:51 EST
once a day or less, my dog has a strange type cough. well maybe a cough. it
is like he gasps for air, and his inhale is like a cough, rapid breaths,
maybe 4 or 5, then he seems fine.

does this raise any red flags for anyone?
thanks,
frank

MiddleEarth
2004-08-24 00:33:59 EST
Hi Frank.

Your description is a little Vague...

Is he "Cacking" a couple of times ? or is it more of a "Airway" obstruction
sound ?

If he's Cacking, then it may be a normal clearing of the throat, however if
it's an Airway obstruction type sound, then I suspect he may have a bigger
problem...

Only the Vet could be sure about this.. But I understand you using this
forum to find out if you really need to..

Our Chihuahua and Kelpie Regulalry "Cack" 4-5 times in a short period of
time (a minute or so) Usually after dronking water, or a short run..., and
this does not couse any distress.. (well, it doesn't seem to, cause he's
straight back into playing when it happens..)

"frank t" <frank37@cox.net> wrote in message
> once a day or less, my dog has a strange type cough. well maybe a cough.
it
> is like he gasps for air, and his inhale is like a cough, rapid breaths,
> maybe 4 or 5, then he seems fine.
>
> does this raise any red flags for anyone?
> thanks,
> frank

Frank T
2004-08-24 23:28:49 EST
yes it is vague. hoping someone would recognize. the more i try to explain
it the more vague it would be, but here goes; maybe like an asthma. like he
can't get air. it gets my attention because it also sounds like a barf is
coming.

"MiddleEarth" <hiren@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> Hi Frank.
>
> Your description is a little Vague...
>
> Is he "Cacking" a couple of times ? or is it more of a "Airway"
obstruction
> sound ?
>
> If he's Cacking, then it may be a normal clearing of the throat, however
if
> it's an Airway obstruction type sound, then I suspect he may have a bigger
> problem...
>
> Only the Vet could be sure about this.. But I understand you using this
> forum to find out if you really need to..
>
> Our Chihuahua and Kelpie Regulalry "Cack" 4-5 times in a short period of
> time (a minute or so) Usually after dronking water, or a short run..., and
> this does not couse any distress.. (well, it doesn't seem to, cause he's
> straight back into playing when it happens..)
>

> "frank t" <frank37@cox.net> wrote in message
> > once a day or less, my dog has a strange type cough. well maybe a cough.
> it
> > is like he gasps for air, and his inhale is like a cough, rapid breaths,
> > maybe 4 or 5, then he seems fine.
> >
> > does this raise any red flags for anyone?
> > thanks,
> > frank

Deborah, DVM \formerly CPT\
2004-08-25 08:13:49 EST

> yes it is vague. hoping someone would recognize. the more i try to explain
> it the more vague it would be, but here goes; maybe like an asthma. like
he
> can't get air. it gets my attention because it also sounds like a barf is
> coming.

Do a search for "reverse sneezing" and see if that's what it sounds like.
If it is, it's often just a sign of a hyperactive airway, and can be from
him sniffing around too much ;-). I usually don't worry too much about
reverse sneezing, not much you can do about it anyway to my knowledge. It's
always best to have your vet check it out though, especially when it comes
to breathing problems.

Deborah, DVM

Kay2619
2004-08-27 12:52:39 EST
My lab does this "reverse sneezing". The first time I was really afraid
that somthing was seriously wrong. Sounds almost as if she's
hyperventilating or something, then she's just fine. Funny, though,
I've never heard this dog sneeze the normal way.

Deborah, DVM (formerly CPT) wrote:
> "frank t" <frank37@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>>yes it is vague. hoping someone would recognize. the more i try to explain
>>it the more vague it would be, but here goes; maybe like an asthma. like
>
> he
>
>>can't get air. it gets my attention because it also sounds like a barf is
>>coming.
>>

> Do a search for "reverse sneezing" and see if that's what it sounds like.
> If it is, it's often just a sign of a hyperactive airway, and can be from
> him sniffing around too much ;-). I usually don't worry too much about
> reverse sneezing, not much you can do about it anyway to my knowledge. It's
> always best to have your vet check it out though, especially when it comes
> to breathing problems.
>
> Deborah, DVM

Grant
2004-08-29 18:46:37 EST

"frank t" <frank37@cox.net> wrote in message
> yes it is vague. hoping someone would recognize. the more i try to explain
> it the more vague it would be, but here goes; maybe like an asthma. like
> he
> can't get air. it gets my attention because it also sounds like a barf is
> coming.

Mouth wide open tongue curled slightly?

Sounds like he's about to puke?

Looks like he's got a real bad taste in his mouth?

Followed by few a slight chuffing coughs?

My 17 year old Golden Retriever has been doing that since a puppy.

To me its always looked like a reflux action.