Dog Discussion: Advice On Getting A Dog

Advice On Getting A Dog

CTMax
2004-06-30 19:52:19 EST
Hi

I am looking to get a dog. I like dogs and I have an 8 yr old daughter who
wants to get a dog. We live in a Single family house in the suburbs and no
one's home during the day.
I do not want a very big or aggressive dog. I do not like the tiny ones
either.

Any advice on the breed to get and where to get them? Also I have heard
that the pet stores in malls are no good. Has anyone heard of the New York
Kennel?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks ...

AnyoneButBush
2004-07-01 03:11:50 EST
Purina's web site has a wonderful feature which will help you make that
choice.

"CTMax" <tom_slk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am looking to get a dog. I like dogs and I have an 8 yr old daughter
who
> wants to get a dog. We live in a Single family house in the suburbs and
no
> one's home during the day.
> I do not want a very big or aggressive dog. I do not like the tiny ones
> either.
>
> Any advice on the breed to get and where to get them? Also I have heard
> that the pet stores in malls are no good. Has anyone heard of the New
York
> Kennel?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks ...

Sunflower
2004-07-01 11:02:47 EST

"CTMax" <tom_slk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am looking to get a dog. I like dogs and I have an 8 yr old daughter
who
> wants to get a dog. We live in a Single family house in the suburbs and
no
> one's home during the day.
> I do not want a very big or aggressive dog. I do not like the tiny ones
> either.
>
> Any advice on the breed to get and where to get them? Also I have heard
> that the pet stores in malls are no good. Has anyone heard of the New
York
> Kennel?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks ...

Contact your nearest shelter and adopt an older dog, at least a year old.
Puppies will require more time than you have, and it's difficult to judge
temperament. An older dog is a more known quantity. Immediately enroll in
obedience classes, as most unsuccessful dog adoptions are because of
behavior problems that the owner doesn't know how to train to not occur.
Your daughter is old enough to go to these classes too, and she should.

Do to pet overpopulation, many of these wonderful shelter animals might
otherwise be put to death. Saving a life at a shelter is a good lesson for
your daughter, as is "recycling". Mutts make great companions, and there
are also often purebreds at a shelter as well.

L Alpert
2004-07-01 11:26:45 EST
Sunflower wrote:
> "CTMax" <tom_slk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I am looking to get a dog. I like dogs and I have an 8 yr old
>> daughter who wants to get a dog. We live in a Single family house
>> in the suburbs and no one's home during the day.
>> I do not want a very big or aggressive dog. I do not like the tiny
>> ones either.
>>
>> Any advice on the breed to get and where to get them? Also I have
>> heard that the pet stores in malls are no good. Has anyone heard of
>> the New York Kennel?
>>
>> Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks ...
>>

> Contact your nearest shelter and adopt an older dog, at least a year
> old. Puppies will require more time than you have, and it's difficult
> to judge temperament. An older dog is a more known quantity.
> Immediately enroll in obedience classes, as most unsuccessful dog
> adoptions are because of behavior problems that the owner doesn't
> know how to train to not occur. Your daughter is old enough to go to
> these classes too, and she should.
>
> Do to pet overpopulation, many of these wonderful shelter animals
> might otherwise be put to death. Saving a life at a shelter is a
> good lesson for your daughter, as is "recycling". Mutts make great
> companions, and there are also often purebreds at a shelter as well.

Good advice. I have had good fortune twice with shepard/collie mixed breeds
through adoption shelters. They appear to have a good temperament for
kids......

Tim Kettring
2004-07-01 20:26:56 EST
"Sunflower" <sunflwrNOSPAM@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message

> "CTMax" <tom_slk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I am looking to get a dog. I like dogs and I have an 8 yr old daughter
> who
> > wants to get a dog. We live in a Single family house in the suburbs and
> no
> > one's home during the day.
> > I do not want a very big or aggressive dog. I do not like the tiny ones
> > either.
> >
> > Any advice on the breed to get and where to get them? Also I have heard
> > that the pet stores in malls are no good. Has anyone heard of the New
> York
> > Kennel?
> >
> > Any advice would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks ...
> >

> Contact your nearest shelter and adopt an older dog, at least a year old.
> Puppies will require more time than you have, and it's difficult to judge
> temperament. An older dog is a more known quantity. Immediately enroll
in
> obedience classes, as most unsuccessful dog adoptions are because of
> behavior problems that the owner doesn't know how to train to not occur.
> Your daughter is old enough to go to these classes too, and she should.
>
> Do to pet overpopulation, many of these wonderful shelter animals might
> otherwise be put to death. Saving a life at a shelter is a good lesson
for
> your daughter, as is "recycling". Mutts make great companions, and there
> are also often purebreds at a shelter as well.

I adopted a 4 year old sheltie mix , thanks for calling my vetrinarian and
letting them know that I was looking for another dog . She is a wonderful
medium size doggie .

Andrea
2004-07-06 11:27:50 EST
I have some experince training dogs so I now the temperaments of many
breeds. There are many good pet dogs like Golden Retriever totatly
sociable they won't be any aggressive with anybody neither with
thieves! I can also recommend collies (but not border collies) the
only thing is their long hair, if you like a pet with good behavior
that guards, you should consider having a bouvier des flandres. But I
would really recommend you to visit at least 3 different breeders and
tell them to make the proper evaluations (temperament,
socialization,etc) for a pet dog for family.. etc This is very
important for you and your family because this can make a diference
in the way of living, is a tough decision!. A dog will be part of your
life for many years and he will need to be feed, periodically take him
to the vet, take him for a walk and play with him (her), etc..

Andrea :)
http://www.youwager.com
http://www.payoffsplus.com

Dobypinch
2004-07-21 10:57:30 EST
Probably will get lots of static here but an unknown percentage of dogs in
shelters are there for good reason. If you could find a breeder who sells
dogs with the understanding that they will go back to the breeder in the
case that things go awry or the life situation changes. If you could locate
such dog if you were looking for an older animal I would recommend. We run
a boarding Kennel and took in a German shepherd form one of our regular
customers who had to move and could not take him and intended on putting him
in a no kill shelter. Still have not placed him and is a nice dog should
you like lots of stray hair. Also have a line on a smooth coated collie
which has a cd (low level obedience title) which is of the returned to
breeder described above and such dog has been available for a year.

If you are interested reply but we never use the e-mail address in the
newsgroup as it comes with the cable modem deal and we have others.

Oh if you want to play the electronic selection game try this link
http://selectsmart.com/beta_dog/ Kind of loaded towards goldens or labs as
I recall but might be fun.

A lot of breeds are quite variable from one dog to the next as far as
temperament goes. Socialization at an early age (before 12 weeks is
extremely important) Not that I go to this newsgroup a lot or for a long
time but seems folks here think training at a later date can improve
situations. Yes situations can be improved but it is your family who has to
trust that the improvements can be counted on, to last and in all
foreseeable situations in the future. Years ago they culled at birth and
then again later, now everything is to be placed with someone or it is a
travesty.

since you asked for advice also if you choose a pure beed find out what the
dog was designed to do. Do you want one which was designed to go in holes
and catch weasels? Of course how much time and money you are willing to
spend at the vet could be a consideration.

Fran