Dog Discussion: Male/female German Sheperd Agressive Behavior

Male/female German Sheperd Agressive Behavior

Tux
2004-06-16 19:55:03 EST
Hi,

My wife and I are thinking of buying a German Shepard. I would prefer
a male, she would prefer a female (-: I can't imagine why :-). My
wife is under the impression that male German Shepards are harder to
handle and that the risk of agressive behavior is higher with them.
Considering that we have three small kids, this is not a point I can
ignore.

My personal experience with dogs is that I never had a problem
handling male dogs, but this might be my rather assertive ("alpha
male" if you wish) kind of personality. My wife is also concerned
that while I might be able to handle the dog just fine all hell might
brake loose as soon as I turn my back (that is already somewhat the
case with our kids anyway).

Are her concerns founded? Is there a significant difference in the
behavior of male and female German Sheperds, in paticular concerning
obedience and agression?

Are male German Sheperds more likely to be a risk for small kids?

Many thanks in advance for any advice,

TW

Tiger Lily
2004-06-16 20:18:18 EST
all small children (under 10) need to be supervised with the dog at all
times

as for the gender of the dogs........ there is a reason they call the
females a bitch

:-)

i'm with you, a male is going to be calmer

"tux" <tuxwins@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My wife and I are thinking of buying a German Shepard. I would prefer
> a male, she would prefer a female (-: I can't imagine why :-). My
> wife is under the impression that male German Shepards are harder to
> handle and that the risk of agressive behavior is higher with them.
> Considering that we have three small kids, this is not a point I can
> ignore.
>
> My personal experience with dogs is that I never had a problem
> handling male dogs, but this might be my rather assertive ("alpha
> male" if you wish) kind of personality. My wife is also concerned
> that while I might be able to handle the dog just fine all hell might
> brake loose as soon as I turn my back (that is already somewhat the
> case with our kids anyway).
>
> Are her concerns founded? Is there a significant difference in the
> behavior of male and female German Sheperds, in paticular concerning
> obedience and agression?
>
> Are male German Sheperds more likely to be a risk for small kids?
>
> Many thanks in advance for any advice,
>
> TW

Child
2004-06-16 20:31:26 EST

"tux" <tuxwins@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My wife and I are thinking of buying a German Shepard. I would prefer
> a male, she would prefer a female (-: I can't imagine why :-). My
> wife is under the impression that male German Shepards are harder to
> handle and that the risk of agressive behavior is higher with them.
> Considering that we have three small kids, this is not a point I can
> ignore.
>
> My personal experience with dogs is that I never had a problem
> handling male dogs, but this might be my rather assertive ("alpha
> male" if you wish) kind of personality. My wife is also concerned
> that while I might be able to handle the dog just fine all hell might
> brake loose as soon as I turn my back (that is already somewhat the
> case with our kids anyway).
>
> Are her concerns founded? Is there a significant difference in the
> behavior of male and female German Sheperds, in paticular concerning
> obedience and agression?
>
> Are male German Sheperds more likely to be a risk for small kids?

Not in my experience. Females are more short tempered and cranky.

AndreaS
2004-06-16 21:52:29 EST
"Child" <dawg@alaskaSPAMFREE.com> wrote
<snip>
> Not in my experience. Females are more short tempered and cranky.

Males seem to be more predictable IMO. Neutering may also help decrease the
liklihood of dominance issues since it sounds like a concern of yours. That
and it eradicates the danger of unwanted pups. I like both sexes and think
either can make a great pet, but the boys are sort of special. (Ed? Yes, but
that's okay. I like goofy.)

If your wife is concerned about her ability to control the dog, she should
be the one to feed and train him. And she should take him to obedience
classes. I find, as the main dog person in the house, the dogs listen to me
more than my husband. It has nothing to do with who is "more alpha" and
everything to do with how much time each of us has put into working with
them. Of course, if your wife tends to cave in and be a complete softie,
well... Yeah. The dog might not respect her. But that would be the case with
either sex.
--
-Andrea Stone
Saorsa Basenjis

The Puppy Wizard
2004-06-17 00:16:16 EST
You're an idiot a liar a dog abuser and a mental case.
You spray BINACA in your dogs eyes and choke them.

"Child" <dawg@alaskaSPAMFREE.com> wrote in message

> "tux" <tuxwins@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > My wife and I are thinking of buying a German Shepard. I
would prefer
> > a male, she would prefer a female (-: I can't imagine why :-).
My
> > wife is under the impression that male German Shepards are
harder to
> > handle and that the risk of agressive behavior is higher with
them.
> > Considering that we have three small kids, this is not a point
I can
> > ignore.
> >
> > My personal experience with dogs is that I never had a problem
> > handling male dogs, but this might be my rather assertive
("alpha
> > male" if you wish) kind of personality. My wife is also
concerned
> > that while I might be able to handle the dog just fine all
hell might
> > brake loose as soon as I turn my back (that is already
somewhat the
> > case with our kids anyway).
> >
> > Are her concerns founded? Is there a significant difference
in the
> > behavior of male and female German Sheperds, in paticular
concerning
> > obedience and agression?
> >
> > Are male German Sheperds more likely to be a risk for small
kids?

> Not in my experience. Females are more short tempered and
cranky.

The Puppy Wizard
2004-06-17 00:30:35 EST
HOWEDY tiger lilly,

"Tiger Lily" <me@privacy.com> wrote in message

> all small children (under 10)

Kids and dogs go together like hand in glove.

> need to be supervised with the dog at all times

That so? The Amazing Puppy Wizard trains
dogs to protect children 24/7. They don't need
adult supervision unless you abuse the dog so
it's not trustworthy.

> as for the gender of the dogs........

A dog is a dog. Males are MOORE aloof,
females are MOORE maternal. But that's
flexible.

> there is a reason they call the females a bitch

There's a reason they call dog abusing mental
cases dog abusing mental cases, tiger lilly.

> :-)

<{} ; ~ ) >

> i'm with you, a male is going to be calmer

You think a male would be MOORE maternal?

You're full of crap:

From: Tiger Lily (khorton@removeme.telusplanet.net)
Subject: Re: Puppy Barking & Whinning
Date: 2000-09-08 22:52:45 PST

Jerry Howe wrote in message ...
>Hello kate,
>
>"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message ...
>
>> however the kennel is "safe zone" for the dog..... no
>> harm *ever* comes once one makes it to the
>> crate in time...... kinda like "home free..... you can't
>> touch me zone"......
>
>Oh yeah? NOT according to your pal lyinglynn, who just told a
>foster care giver to leave the leash on the new "shelter" dog
>in the crate, so they can jerk and choke him, to stop his
>anxiety barking...

Jerry, are we not allowed to have different training styles? my
neighbours raise their child with a different style from my style
and we both have confident, intelligent, savy children

a corrective jerk to redraw attention is a very effective
technique....... perhaps you don't appreciate it when your
therapist changes subjects on you to get back to the discussion
at hand?

>Any YOU say I'm crazy???

who am i to say?..... your actions and words speak
volumes on their own

>> don't reach into the crate to drag the dog out..... >
>> don't spritz them here either..... they already know
>> they did wrong, that's why the ran into the
>> kennel..........
>
>If the dog is running to the crate for PROTECTION, then there
>is certainly SOMETHING WRONG in the way IT is being TREATED.

oh, and you know???........ guess you don't believe that a raised
voice will "guide" an animal...... that dogs can sense the mood
or tone of the owner?......... sounds like you don't have a lot of
positive experiences with dogs, Jerry

>> as puppies, they need to learn that the
>> kennel/crate is their "safety zone" from anything
>> that is bugging them
>
>IDIOT. As puppies, they NEED to learn that their HANDLER is
>their safety zone. AND THE HANDLER SHOULDN'T BE
>BUGGING THEM TO MAKE THEM WANT TO GO TO THEIR
>CRATE.

why, such in insightful statement on my intelligence Jerry.......
you
are just as amazing as the amazing Kresgin (apologies to Kresgin)

and such astute insight on the security my dogs have with
me......... LOL....... perhaps you are looking into the mirror
of yourself? and insinuating that others have the same techniques
in raising animals as you do......... sigh..... the mirror's of
life, Jerry
we often "look & find" in others what we hate the most in
ourselves

has your counsellour talked to you about this....... of course....
might i ask, have you "understood" what your counsellor was trying
to say?

sigh....... i waste my breath

>> kate
>
>You got any objections to my ADVICE, besides saying I'm
> crazy? Let's hear it, because the advice you and your pals
> are giving IS CRAZY...

well, Jerry..... your advice IS crazy..... don't know much about
you,
heard lots of your "advice?"???????/ shudder

>You bums who berate ME, are the ones who enjoy HURTING
> dogs to train them, and will KILL the dogs they can't
> INTIMIDATE into behaving...

oh, yes....... age 16 1/2, age 12 1/2, age 14, age 9 with
cancer.....
yes, Jerry, my dogs have been killed......... this is called
COMPASSION big word, try the dictionary, Jerry

>yada, yada, yada BS snipped

> -Jerry Howe-

carry on........ i have nothing further to say to such an
intelligent,
insightful, psychic individual such as you......... i'm humbled
and awed by
the light of your presence, Jerry........ never to have come so
close to God
as i have by meeting you

kate

psst....... whisper mode on...... Jerry...... that last paragraph
was
sarcastic..... hint

for the benefit of all others........ i shall refrain from any
further
delusional
"findings", biased "truths", and inherent self-reflections to
attempt to discredit any others...... Jerry, people can see who
YOU are based on what YOU have to say.... HOWE do you like that?

House\O\Dogs
2004-06-17 07:11:53 EST
Over the years I have had numerous GSDs bunking here with me. Males tend
to be a bit goofier, more hard headed and good playmates for kids. Females
tend to be a little more serious and more maternal toward children. (Hmmmm)
There are, of course, exceptions to this generalization.

Anyway, please give some consideration to contacting a German Shepherd
(please note proper spelling!) rescue in your area and meet some of their
dogs. Our rescue gets in quite a few dogs that have come from homes with
children. If you buy a puppy from a breeder, you will not really have any
idea of the adult personality of the dog that will emerge as the dog
matures. If you adopt a young adult, the personality will be evident and
not a surprise.

Also, folks from your local GSD rescue can talk to you about the breed and
see if it is a good match for you and your family. As much as I love and
adore these creatures, they are not for everyone.

Yours in GSDs and rescue,

Lea
Virginia German Shepherd Rescue
www.shepherdrescue.org

Flick
2004-06-17 07:28:31 EST
"tux" <tuxwins@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My wife and I are thinking of buying a German Shepard. I would
prefer
> a male, she would prefer a female (-: I can't imagine why :-).
My
> wife is under the impression that male German Shepards are
harder to
> handle and that the risk of agressive behavior is higher with
them.
> Considering that we have three small kids, this is not a point
I can
> ignore.

Statistically speaking, the dogs most often involved in serious
dog attack/bite cases are *unneutered male dogs.*

So if you get a male dog, neuter it.

And if you get a female dog, spay it. Your dog will be much
healthier (ditto for a male), and you won't attract every loose
whole male dog in the county by your dog going into heat. Not to
mention running the risk of adding to the pet overpopulation
problem.

flick 100785
--
Political Correctness is finished. What started out as
intolerance of hate has become hatred's enabler. It fails to live

> My personal experience with dogs is that I never had a problem
> handling male dogs, but this might be my rather assertive
("alpha
> male" if you wish) kind of personality. My wife is also
concerned
> that while I might be able to handle the dog just fine all hell
might
> brake loose as soon as I turn my back (that is already somewhat
the
> case with our kids anyway).
>
> Are her concerns founded? Is there a significant difference in
the
> behavior of male and female German Sheperds, in paticular
concerning
> obedience and agression?
>
> Are male German Sheperds more likely to be a risk for small
kids?

> Many thanks in advance for any advice,
>
> TW

---

Pat
2004-06-17 09:10:05 EST
If you wife has any fears at all.....why not chose another type dog.
With three young children that have never had a dog maybe NOT a good idea to
have a GSD.
If children are made to respect a dog then that fine.
With a male the only reason I could see a problem is if he gets frustrated
and has not done.
I have always had two dogs....one always being a German Shepherd.
I have to say they are a dominant dog.
Pat.

"tux" <tuxwins@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My wife and I are thinking of buying a German Shepard. I would prefer
> a male, she would prefer a female (-: I can't imagine why :-). My
> wife is under the impression that male German Shepards are harder to
> handle and that the risk of agressive behavior is higher with them.
> Considering that we have three small kids, this is not a point I can
> ignore.
>
> My personal experience with dogs is that I never had a problem
> handling male dogs, but this might be my rather assertive ("alpha
> male" if you wish) kind of personality. My wife is also concerned
> that while I might be able to handle the dog just fine all hell might
> brake loose as soon as I turn my back (that is already somewhat the
> case with our kids anyway).
>
> Are her concerns founded? Is there a significant difference in the
> behavior of male and female German Sheperds, in paticular concerning
> obedience and agression?
>
> Are male German Sheperds more likely to be a risk for small kids?
>
> Many thanks in advance for any advice,
>
> TW

Sionnach
2004-06-17 09:41:50 EST

"flick" wrote:

> Statistically speaking, the dogs most often involved in serious
> dog attack/bite cases are *unneutered male dogs.*

And IIRC, statistically speaking, they most often bite male children of
elementary and middle-school age, in and around their own homes.

However, I think the statistics don't tell us some pertinent facts- one of
which, I suspect, is that an unneutered male PET has a higher probability of
belonging to a male HUMAN who encourages bad behaviour and/or being a
neglected/ignored/untrained dog.
IOW, I suspect that the lack of neutering is as much or more a co-symptom
than it is an actual cause.

Which is not to say that the OP shouldn't S/N whatever dog he gets- he
should, since it's best to do that with a family pet for a multitude of
reasons.