Research Discussion: Astronomer's Measure Universe Expansion.

Astronomer's Measure Universe Expansion.

Harlow's Notes: Painus, no need for a retard like YOU to read this
because *you* know that the universe ISN'T expanding.

Astronomers using NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope have announced the most
precise measurement yet of the Hubble constant, or the rate at which our
universe is stretching apart.

The Hubble constant is named after the astronomer Edwin P. Hubble, who
astonished the world in the 1920s by confirming our universe has been
expanding since it exploded into being 13.7 billion years ago. In the
late 1990s, astronomers discovered the expansion is accelerating, or
speeding up over time. Determining the expansion rate is critical for
understanding the age and size of the universe.

Unlike NASA's Hubble Space Telescope, which views the cosmos in visible
light, Spitzer took advantage of long-wavelength infrared light to make
its new measurement. It improves by a factor of 3 on a similar, seminal
study from the Hubble telescope and brings the uncertainty down to 3
percent, a giant leap in accuracy for cosmological measurements. The
newly refined value for the Hubble constant is 74.3 plus or minus 2.1
kilometers per second per megaparsec. A megaparsec is roughly 3 million
light-years.

"Spitzer is yet again doing science beyond what it was designed to do,"
said project scientist Michael Werner at NASA's Jet Propulsion
Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. Werner has worked on the mission since
its early concept phase more than 30 years ago. "First, Spitzer
surprised us with its pioneering ability to study exoplanet
atmospheres," said Werner, "and now, in the mission's later years, it
has become a valuable cosmology tool."

In addition, the findings were combined with published data from NASA's
Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe to obtain an independent
measurement of dark energy, one of the greatest mysteries of our cosmos.
Dark energy is thought to be winning a battle against gravity, pulling
the fabric of the universe apart. Research based on this acceleration
garnered researchers the 2011 Nobel Prize in physics.

"This is a huge puzzle," said the lead author of the new study, Wendy
Freedman of the Observatories of the Carnegie Institution for Science in
Pasadena. "It's exciting that we were able to use Spitzer to tackle
fundamental problems in cosmology: the precise rate at which the
universe is expanding at the current time, as well as measuring the
amount of dark energy in the universe from another angle." Freedman led
the groundbreaking Hubble Space Telescope study that earlier had
measured the Hubble constant.

Glenn Wahlgren, Spitzer program scientist at NASA Headquarters in
Washington, said infrared vision, which sees through dust to provide
better views of variable stars called cepheids, enabled Spitzer to
improve on past measurements of the Hubble constant.

"These pulsating stars are vital rungs in what astronomers call the
cosmic distance ladder: a set of objects with known distances that, when
combined with the speeds at which the objects are moving away from us,
reveal the expansion rate of the universe," said Wahlgren.

Cepheids are crucial to the calculations because their distances from
Earth can be measured readily. In 1908, Henrietta Leavitt discovered
these stars pulse at a rate directly related to their intrinsic brightness.

To visualize why this is important, imagine someone walking away from
you while carrying a candle. The farther the candle traveled, the more
it would dim. Its apparent brightness would reveal the distance. The
same principle applies to cepheids, standard candles in our cosmos. By
measuring how bright they appear on the sky, and comparing this to their
known brightness as if they were close up, astronomers can calculate
their distance from Earth.

Spitzer observed 10 cepheids in our own Milky Way galaxy and 80 in a
nearby neighboring galaxy called the Large Magellanic Cloud. Without the
cosmic dust blocking their view, the Spitzer research team was able to
obtain more precise measurements of the stars' apparent brightness, and
thus their distances. These data opened the way for a new and improved
estimate of our universe's expansion rate.

"Just over a decade ago, using the words 'precision' and 'cosmology' in
the same sentence was not possible, and the size and age of the universe
was not known to better than a factor of two," said Freedman. "Now we
are talking about accuracies of a few percent. It is quite extraordinary."

The study appears in the Astrophysical Journal. Freedman's co-authors
are Barry Madore, Victoria Scowcroft, Chris Burns, Andy Monson, S. Eric
Person and Mark Seibert of the Observatories of the Carnegie Institution
and Jane Rigby of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., manages the Spitzer
Space Telescope mission for NASA's Science Mission Directorate,
Washington. Science operations are conducted at the Spitzer Science
Center at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena. Data are
archived at the Infrared Science Archive housed at the Infrared
Processing and Analysis Center at Caltech. Caltech manages JPL for NASA.
For more information about Spitzer, visit http://spitzer.caltech.edu and
http://www.nasa.gov/spitzer .

Double-A
2012-10-03 15:50:37 EST
On Oct 3, 12:30 pm, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Harlow's Notes:  Painus, no need for a retard like YOU to read this
> because *you* know that the universe ISN'T expanding.
>
> Astronomers using NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope have announced the most
> precise measurement yet of the Hubble constant, or the rate at which our
> universe is stretching apart.
>
> The Hubble constant is named after the astronomer Edwin P. Hubble, who
> astonished the world in the 1920s by confirming our universe has been
> expanding since it exploded into being 13.7 billion years ago.

Now this is the biggest load of malarkey ever! Edwin Hubble didn't
astonish the world in the 1920's because he never was a proponent of
the Big Bang or of any kind of universal expansion! He noted in his
book that some factor was causing the light from the most distant
galaxies to redding, but never concluded that expansion was the cause.

Is NASA putting out this revisionist crap?

Double-A

On Oct 3, 12:50 pm, Double-A <double...@hush.com> wrote:
> On Oct 3, 12:30 pm, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Harlow's Notes:  Painus, no need for a retard like YOU to read this
> > because *you* know that the universe ISN'T expanding.
>
> > Astronomers using NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope have announced the most
> > precise measurement yet of the Hubble constant, or the rate at which our
> > universe is stretching apart.
>
> > The Hubble constant is named after the astronomer Edwin P. Hubble, who
> > astonished the world in the 1920s by confirming our universe has been
> > expanding since it exploded into being 13.7 billion years ago.
>
> Now this is the biggest load of malarkey ever!  Edwin Hubble didn't
> astonish the world in the 1920's because he never was a proponent of
> the Big Bang or of any kind of universal expansion!  He noted in his
> book that some factor was causing the light from the most distant
> galaxies to redding, but never concluded that expansion was the cause.
>
> Is NASA putting out this revisionist crap?
>
> Double-A

Harlow as usual is just mainstream plagiarizing for his own benefit
and amusement. By directly replying to his lordship only proves his
FUD superiority over others like yourself.

On 10/3/2012 3:59 PM, Brad Guth wrote:

>> Is NASA putting out this revisionist crap?
>>
>> Double-A
>
> Harlow as usual is just mainstream plagiarizing for his own benefit
> and amusement. By directly replying to his lordship only proves his
> FUD superiority over others like yourself.

Right, AA...You should only reply to me through a proxy as Goth does.

That makes it OK.

"Double-A" <double-a3@hush.com> wrote in message
On Oct 3, 12:30 pm, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Harlow's Notes: Painus, no need for a retard like YOU to read this
> because *you* know that the universe ISN'T expanding.
>
> Astronomers using NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope have announced the most
> precise measurement yet of the Hubble constant, or the rate at which our
> universe is stretching apart.
>
> The Hubble constant is named after the astronomer Edwin P. Hubble, who
> astonished the world in the 1920s by confirming our universe has been
> expanding since it exploded into being 13.7 billion years ago.

Now this is the biggest load of malarkey ever! Edwin Hubble didn't
astonish the world in the 1920's because he never was a proponent of
the Big Bang or of any kind of universal expansion! He noted in his
book that some factor was causing the light from the most distant
galaxies to redding, but never concluded that expansion was the cause.

Is NASA putting out this revisionist crap?

Double-A

*** You ignoramus ... hamging upside down inside dumpsters does cause brain
damage.

... causing light from the most distant galaxies to "redding" ???
and you question real scientists, when you can't even pronounce, and much
less spell, the phenomena of light's red or blue shifting correctly. What
causes those shift has been known for half a century before Hubble actually
saw a natural example of it, in real time, and I'm sure he understood the
physics responsible for the red-shifts.

Perhaps you should stick with simpler physics, such as spanking Frank.

On Oct 3, 1:18 pm, "H gar" <hs...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Double-A" <double...@hush.com> wrote in message

> On Oct 3, 12:30 pm, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Harlow's Notes: Painus, no need for a retard like YOU to read this
> > because *you* know that the universe ISN'T expanding.
>
> > Astronomers using NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope have announced the most
> > precise measurement yet of the Hubble constant, or the rate at which our
> > universe is stretching apart.
>
> > The Hubble constant is named after the astronomer Edwin P. Hubble, who
> > astonished the world in the 1920s by confirming our universe has been
> > expanding since it exploded into being 13.7 billion years ago.
>
> Now this is the biggest load of malarkey ever!  Edwin Hubble didn't
> astonish the world in the 1920's because he never was a proponent of
> the Big Bang or of any kind of universal expansion!  He noted in his
> book that some factor was causing the light from the most distant
> galaxies to redding, but never concluded that expansion was the cause.
>
> Is NASA putting out this revisionist crap?
>
> Double-A
>
> *** You ignoramus ... hamging upside down inside dumpsters does cause brain
> damage.
>
> ... causing light from the most distant galaxies to "redding" ???
> and you question real scientists, when you can't even pronounce, and much
> less spell, the phenomena of light's red or blue shifting correctly.  What
> causes those shift has been known for half a century before Hubble actually
> saw a natural example of it, in real time, and I'm sure he understood the
> physics responsible for the red-shifts.
>
> Perhaps you should stick with simpler physics, such as spanking Frank.

13.75 billion year old and thus delayed remote science proves what
exactly?

If our galaxy has been moving away from distant other galaxies at
nearly the speed of light, then how can any of those distant photons
to our perception even be detectable?

G=EMC^2
2012-10-03 16:59:48 EST
On Oct 3, 3:50 pm, Double-A <double...@hush.com> wrote:
> On Oct 3, 12:30 pm, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Harlow's Notes:  Painus, no need for a retard like YOU to read this
> > because *you* know that the universe ISN'T expanding.
>
> > Astronomers using NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope have announced the most
> > precise measurement yet of the Hubble constant, or the rate at which our
> > universe is stretching apart.
>
> > The Hubble constant is named after the astronomer Edwin P. Hubble, who
> > astonished the world in the 1920s by confirming our universe has been
> > expanding since it exploded into being 13.7 billion years ago.
>
> Now this is the biggest load of malarkey ever!  Edwin Hubble didn't
> astonish the world in the 1920's because he never was a proponent of
> the Big Bang or of any kind of universal expansion!  He noted in his
> book that some factor was causing the light from the most distant
> galaxies to redding, but never concluded that expansion was the cause.
>
> Is NASA putting out this revisionist crap?
>
> Double-A

AA Edwin Hubble's observations were instrumental in showing an
expanding universe. Also cosmic radiation. I have m convex theory
based on inflation. Galaxies are not only moving further apart,but
doing it faster as I type. My convex theory gives me the shape of the
universe. Its open and shaped like a saddle.. TeBert

On 10/3/2012 4:59 PM, G=EMC^2 wrote:

> AA Edwin Hubble's observations were instrumental in showing an
> expanding universe. Also cosmic radiation. I have m convex theory
> based on inflation. Galaxies are not only moving further apart,but
> doing it faster as I type. My convex theory gives me the shape of the
> universe. Its open and shaped like a saddle.. TeBert

Bert, I've got a great idea!

Let's call this the 'Horseyverse' You know, like in saddle?
What do you think?

On Oct 3, 1:59 pm, "G=EMC^2" <herbertglazi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 3, 3:50 pm, Double-A <double...@hush.com> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 3, 12:30 pm, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Harlow's Notes:  Painus, no need for a retard like YOU to read this
> > > because *you* know that the universe ISN'T expanding.
>
> > > Astronomers using NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope have announced the most
> > > precise measurement yet of the Hubble constant, or the rate at which our
> > > universe is stretching apart.
>
> > > The Hubble constant is named after the astronomer Edwin P. Hubble, who
> > > astonished the world in the 1920s by confirming our universe has been
> > > expanding since it exploded into being 13.7 billion years ago.
>
> > Now this is the biggest load of malarkey ever!  Edwin Hubble didn't
> > astonish the world in the 1920's because he never was a proponent of
> > the Big Bang or of any kind of universal expansion!  He noted in his
> > book that some factor was causing the light from the most distant
> > galaxies to redding, but never concluded that expansion was the cause.
>
> > Is NASA putting out this revisionist crap?
>
> > Double-A
>
> AA  Edwin Hubble's observations were instrumental in showing an
> expanding universe.  Also cosmic radiation.  I have m convex theory
> based on inflation. Galaxies are not only moving further apart,but
> doing it faster as I type. My convex theory gives me the shape of the
> universe. Its open and shaped like a saddle..  TeBert

Why does the volumetric shape of the universe matter?

How about better explaining the redshift that’s an observed variable.

Instead of making this astrophysics request easy by offering an
infinite stream of photons, if instead there were but only one photon
of 550 nm emitted and precisely directed at us by a given distant
star, then what would that singular photon look or detect like if our
observation of this one photon was moving us away from that distant
star at nearly the speed of light?

Remember that this request is based upon individual photons actually
moving or propagating their way through mostly empty space, and the
velocity in between us and that distant star is supposedly a continual
variable imposed by the Hubble constant, as continually stretching
that individual photon over any given distance and time, so along the
way there’s not any one speed/velocity variation or redshift to
contend with.

Part 2: Are not older galaxies redder than newer galaxies?

http://groups.google.com/groups/search
http://translate.google.com/#