Research Discussion: How To See Your Anus

How To See Your Anus

The planet Uranus reaches opposition on Saturday (Sept. 29). This means
that Uranus is directly opposite the sun in the sky.

Uranus rises will rise as the sun sets, and set as the sun rises. It
will be highest in the sky at local midnight, roughly 1 a.m. if you are
on Daylight Saving Time.

Uranus was discovered accidentally by William Herschel on the night of
March 13, 1781. All the other planets had been known since prehistoric
times, so this was a major discovery in its time, and made Herschel famous.

The reason Uranus had remained undiscovered for so long is that,
although it is quite large, the third largest planet after Jupiter and
Saturn, it is very far away from the sun, so is very dimly lit. If you
know exactly where to look, it is just possible to see Uranus with the
naked eye, but most of us need binoculars and a good chart to spot it
among the thousands of stars of similar brightness.

When Herschel first observed it, he was unsure what he had seen: a
nebula, a comet, or a planet. After a night or two, he saw that it had
moved, so it couldn’t be a nebula. It didn’t change size or shape, so he
knew it wasn’t a comet.

Once the object's orbit was determined, Herschel knew he had found the
sun’s seventh planet: 31,763 miles (51,118 km.) in diameter, four times
larger than the Earth. It orbits at 19 times the distance from Earth to
the sun, twice as far from the sun as Saturn. [Amazing Photos of Uranus]

How to see Uranus

In binoculars, Uranus is indistinguishable from a star. Look for it
currently in the constellation Pisces.

Opposition night is not the best night to look for it, because the full
moon will be nearby flooding the sky with light. Look for it instead
tonight, or in a week’s time when the moon has moved on.

Don’t try to use Pisces to find it, because this is a dim constellation.
Instead, start with the Great Square of Pegasus, a conspicuous large
square of stars. This will be in the southern sky (of the Northern
Hemisphere) about two thirds of the way from the horizon to directly
overhead at local midnight, or in the eastern sky earlier in the evening.

Use the two stars on the left side of the Great Square, Alpheratz and
Algenib, and project a line joining them down towards the horizon. At
almost exactly the same distance below the bottom star you will see (in
binoculars) what looks like a double star. These will be the two
brightest “stars” in this part of the sky.

The star on the left (in the Northern Hemisphere) is 44 Piscium. The
“star” on the right is not a star at all, but the planet Uranus. Pay
close attention to the distance between these two objects, and check it
again in a night or two. Uranus will have moved away to the right, the
distance between star and planet increasing.

In binoculars, Uranus will look just like a star. In a small telescope
with about 200x magnification, you will see a tiny blue-green disk.
Uranus has 27 known moons, but these are all too tiny to be seen in a
small telescope.

Strange Uranus facts

One of the most interesting things about Uranus is the tilt of its axis
of rotation. Most planets rotate around a pole which points roughly at
right angles to the plane of their orbit.

Uranus’ pole is tipped over so that its axis is almost in the same plane
as its orbit. As a result, the sun shines almost continuously on the
northern half the planet for part of its year, and continuously on the
southern half for another part of its year. The result is the most
extreme seasonal variation found on any planet in the solar system.

When Herschel discovered Uranus, he needed to find a name for it. This
was as big a deal in the 18th century as naming a stadium is today.
Knowing who his chief patron was, he decided to name it after his king,
George III: Georgium Sidus (George’s Star). Now George III was not very
popular outside England, so there was a lot of resistance to this name.
Finally Johann Bode suggested that it be named Uranus after the Greek
God of the sky, Ouranos, and this was agreed to by all astronomers.

Unfortunately, this name causes pronunciation difficulties for most
speakers of the English language. If it’s pronounced "ew-RAY-nus" it
provokes laughter from sixth-graders. The alternate pronunciation,
"EWR-a-nus" is not much better. Perhaps we should go back to the
original Greek pronunciation, "OOR-a-nus."

Double-A
2012-09-28 15:26:37 EST
On Sep 28, 12:14 pm, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> extreme seasonal variation found on any planet in the solar system.
>
> When Herschel discovered Uranus, he needed to find a name for it. This
> was as big a deal in the 18th century as naming a stadium is today.
> Knowing who his chief patron was, he decided to name it after his king,
> George III: Georgium Sidus (George’s Star). Now George III was not very
> popular outside England, so there was a lot of resistance to this name.
> Finally Johann Bode suggested that it be named Uranus after the Greek
> God of the sky, Ouranos, and this was agreed to by all astronomers.
>
> Unfortunately, this name causes pronunciation difficulties for most
> speakers of the English language. If it’s pronounced "ew-RAY-nus" it
> provokes laughter from sixth-graders. The alternate pronunciation,
> "EWR-a-nus" is not much better. Perhaps we should go back to the
> original Greek pronunciation, "OOR-a-nus."

You Anus holds little interest for the naked eye astronomer viewing
through smoggy and light polluted skies in a lonely and perv infested
park.

Double-A

On 9/28/2012 3:26 PM, Double-A wrote:

> You Anus holds little interest for the naked eye astronomer viewing
> through smoggy and light polluted skies in a lonely and perv infested
> park.

Join an astronomy club.

Father Haskell
2012-09-28 17:08:31 EST
On Sep 28, 3:59 pm, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/28/2012 3:26 PM, Double-A wrote:
>

> > You Anus holds little interest for the naked eye astronomer viewing
> > through smoggy and light polluted skies in a lonely and perv infested
> > park.
>
> Join an astronomy club.

They get the park Thursday nights. The pervert club gets it
Monday and Wednesday. Be sure to mark your calendar.

On 9/28/2012 5:08 PM, Father Haskell wrote:

>>> You Anus holds little interest for the naked eye astronomer viewing
>>> through smoggy and light polluted skies in a lonely and perv infested
>>> park.
>>
>> Join an astronomy club.
>
> They get the park Thursday nights. The pervert club gets it
> Monday and Wednesday. Be sure to mark your calendar.

Is it asking too much for both, or is that on Tuesday?

Father Haskell
2012-09-28 20:10:01 EST
On Sep 28, 6:02 pm, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Join an astronomy club.
>
> > They get the park Thursday nights.  The pervert club gets it
> > Monday and Wednesday.  Be sure to mark your calendar.
>
> Is it asking too much for both, or is that on Tuesday?

The perverts _do_ clean up after themselves. It's either
them, or the county will have to raise taxes. Blame the
republicans. Again.

On 9/28/2012 8:10 PM, Father Haskell wrote:

>>> They get the park Thursday nights. The pervert club gets it
>>> Monday and Wednesday. Be sure to mark your calendar.
>>
>> Is it asking too much for both, or is that on Tuesday?
>
> The perverts _do_ clean up after themselves. It's either
> them, or the county will have to raise taxes. Blame the
> republicans. Again.

Is W leaving empty beer bottles laying around AGAIN?

Double-A
2012-09-29 14:11:00 EST
On Sep 28, 12:59 pm, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/28/2012 3:26 PM, Double-A wrote:
>

> > You Anus holds little interest for the naked eye astronomer viewing
> > through smoggy and light polluted skies in a lonely and perv infested
> > park.
>
> Join an astronomy club.

Why? Mine is already bigger than any of theirs.

Double-A

On 9/29/2012 2:11 PM, Double-A wrote:

>>> You Anus holds little interest for the naked eye astronomer viewing
>>> through smoggy and light polluted skies in a lonely and perv infested
>>> park.
>>
>> Join an astronomy club.
>

> Why? Mine is already bigger than any of theirs.

We were talking about telescopes...Not the size of your asshole.

Father Haskell
2012-09-29 15:05:10 EST
On Sep 29, 8:20 am, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Is it asking too much for both, or is that on Tuesday?
>
> > The perverts _do_ clean up after themselves.  It's either
> > them, or the county will have to raise taxes.  Blame the
> > republicans.  Again.
>
> Is W leaving empty beer bottles laying around AGAIN?

Mitt. Pepsi cans.