Research Discussion: The History Of Math

The History Of Math

The story below would not be possible without the efforts of that failed
Math Teacher, Richard Travisano. The dumbing down of our youth is almost
complete, thanks to efforts like his.

I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2
and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and
gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while
looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to
tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help.
While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.

Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math and the
deterioration of its teachers since the 1960s:

1. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5
of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1970s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5
of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1980s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80
Did he make a profit ? Yes or No

4. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80
and his profit is $20. Your assignment:
Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 2000s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and
inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the
preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20.
What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class
participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels
feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if
you feel like crying, it's ok).

6. Teaching Math In 2010

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la
producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

ANSWER: His profit was $375,000 because his logging business is just a front
for his pot farm.

We'reso proud of you, RT, or elCrappo or whatever else you call yourself.

Double-A
2012-09-18 15:05:08 EST
On Sep 18, 9:11 am, "Hägar" <hs...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The story below would not be possible without the efforts of that failed
> Math Teacher, Richard Travisano. The dumbing down of our youth is almost
> complete, thanks to efforts like his.
>
> I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2
> and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and
> gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while
> looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to
> tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help.
> While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.
>
> Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math and the
> deterioration of its teachers since the 1960s:
>
> 1. Teaching Math In 1960s
>
> A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5
> of the price. What is his profit ?
>
> 2. Teaching Math In 1970s
>
> A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5
> of the price, or $80. What is his profit?
>
> 3. Teaching Math In 1980s
> A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80
> Did he make a profit ? Yes or No
>
> 4. Teaching Math In 1990s
>
> A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80
> and his profit is $20. Your assignment:
> Underline the number 20.
>
> 5. Teaching Math In 2000s
>
> A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and
> inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the
> preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20.
> What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class
> participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels
> feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if
> you feel like crying, it's ok).
>
> 6. Teaching Math In 2010
>
> Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la
> producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?
>
> ANSWER: His profit was $375,000 because his logging business is just a front
> for his pot farm.
>
> We'reso proud of you, RT, or elCrappo or whatever else you call yourself.

Uno, dos, tres, ...

Double-A

Painius
2012-09-21 13:15:35 EST
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 12:05:08 -0700 (PDT), Double-A
<double-a3@hush.com> wrote:

>On Sep 18, 9:11 am, "Hägar" <hs...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> The story below would not be possible without the efforts of that failed
>> Math Teacher, Richard Travisano. The dumbing down of our youth is almost
>> complete, thanks to efforts like his.
>>
>> I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2
>> and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and
>> gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while
>> looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to
>> tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help.
>> While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.
>>
>> Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math and the
>> deterioration of its teachers since the 1960s:
>>
>> 1. Teaching Math In 1960s
>>
>> A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5
>> of the price. What is his profit ?
>>
>> 2. Teaching Math In 1970s
>>
>> A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5
>> of the price, or $80. What is his profit?
>>
>> 3. Teaching Math In 1980s
>> A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80
>> Did he make a profit ? Yes or No
>>
>> 4. Teaching Math In 1990s
>>
>> A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80
>> and his profit is $20. Your assignment:
>> Underline the number 20.
>>
>> 5. Teaching Math In 2000s
>>
>> A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and
>> inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the
>> preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20.
>> What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class
>> participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels
>> feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if
>> you feel like crying, it's ok).
>>
>> 6. Teaching Math In 2010
>>
>> Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la
>> producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?
>>
>> ANSWER: His profit was $375,000 because his logging business is just a front
>> for his pot farm.
>>
>> We'reso proud of you, RT, or elCrappo or whatever else you call yourself.
>
>Uno, dos, tres, ...

With only a small bit of bad luck, we *could* all be counting:

Eine, zwei, drei, ...

--
Indelibly yours,
P* @ http://astronomy.painellsworth.net/

The Patriot
2012-09-21 13:59:39 EST

"Painius" <starswirler@aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he
>>> can make a profit of $20.
>>> What do you think of this way of making a living?
>>> Topic for class
>>> participation after answering the question: How did
>>> the birds and squirrels
>>> feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are
>>> no wrong answers, and if
>>> you feel like crying, it's ok).
>>>
>>> 6. Teaching Math In 2010
>>>
>>> Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100.
>>> El costo de la
>>> producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?
>>>
>>> ANSWER: His profit was $375,000 because his logging
>>> business is just a front
>>> for his pot farm.
>>>
>>> We'reso proud of you, RT, or elCrappo or whatever
>>> else you call yourself.
>>
>>Uno, dos, tres, ...
>
> With only a small bit of bad luck, we *could* all be

So Pain-in-the-ass you don't like Germans, well I am of
German descent and "Sie k\ufffdnnen gehen sie v\ufffdgelt sie
sich selbst"

The Patriot.

Double-A
2012-09-21 14:56:00 EST
On Sep 21, 10:15 am, Painius <starswir...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 12:05:08 -0700 (PDT), Double-A
>

> <double...@hush.com> wrote:
> >On Sep 18, 9:11 am, "Hägar" <hs...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> The story below would not be possible without the efforts of that failed
> >> Math Teacher, Richard Travisano. The dumbing down of our youth is almost
> >> complete, thanks to efforts like his.
>
> >> I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2
> >> and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and
> >> gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while
> >> looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to
> >> tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help.
> >> While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.
>
> >> Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math and the
> >> deterioration of its teachers since the 1960s:
>
> >> 1. Teaching Math In 1960s
>
> >> A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5
> >> of the price. What is his profit ?
>
> >> 2. Teaching Math In 1970s
>
> >> A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5
> >> of the price, or $80. What is his profit?
>
> >> 3. Teaching Math In 1980s
> >> A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80
> >> Did he make a profit ? Yes or No
>
> >> 4. Teaching Math In 1990s
>
> >> A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80
> >> and his profit is $20. Your assignment:
> >> Underline the number 20.
>
> >> 5. Teaching Math In 2000s
>
> >> A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and
> >> inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the
> >> preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20.
> >> What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class
> >> participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels
> >> feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if
> >> you feel like crying, it's ok).
>
> >> 6. Teaching Math In 2010
>
> >> Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la
> >> producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?
>
> >> ANSWER: His profit was $375,000 because his logging business is just a front
> >> for his pot farm.
>
> >> We'reso proud of you, RT, or elCrappo or whatever else you call yourself.
>
> >Uno, dos, tres, ...
>
> With only a small bit of bad luck, we *could* all be counting:
>
> Eine, zwei, drei, ...
>
> --
> Indelibly yours,
> Paine @http://astronomy.painellsworth.net/
> "People prefer belief/unbelief rather than to exercise skepticism."

Good thing I studied both those languages.

Double-A

On 9/21/2012 2:56 PM, Double-A wrote:

>> Eine, zwei, drei, ...
>

> Good thing I studied both those languages.

Eventually the entire world's population will be speaking god's own
language...English.

Mike Painter
2012-09-22 13:53:52 EST
On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 08:54:19 -0400, HVAC <mr.hvac@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 9/21/2012 2:56 PM, Double-A wrote:
>>

>>> Eine, zwei, drei, ...
>>

>> Good thing I studied both those languages.
>

>Eventually the entire world's population will be speaking god's own
>language...English.

But will Americans ever learn to speak it properly?

And will that help?

I've been watching a lot of British TV lately (Acorn TV $30.00 a year
on Roku and well worth it.) and it is not uncommon to not understand a
word of what someone says.

On 9/22/2012 1:53 PM, Mike Painter wrote:

>> Eventually the entire world's population will be speaking god's own
>> language...English.
>
> But will Americans ever learn to speak it properly?

In New England (where *I* live which has absolutely no bearing upon my
opinion) we speak English the proper way that it is supposed to be spoken.

> I've been watching a lot of British TV lately (Acorn TV $30.00 a year
> on Roku and well worth it.) and it is not uncommon to not understand a
> word of what someone says.

The Brits are sort of fucked in the head.

Mike Painter
2012-09-23 13:21:48 EST
On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 14:11:49 -0400, HVAC <mr.hvac@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 9/22/2012 1:53 PM, Mike Painter wrote:
>>
>>> Eventually the entire world's population will be speaking god's own
>>> language...English.
>>
>> But will Americans ever learn to speak it properly?
>
>In New England (where *I* live which has absolutely no bearing upon my
>opinion) we speak English the proper way that it is supposed to be spoken.

I've heard some folk music from Appalachia and could not understand
any of it. I suspect they say the same thing.

http://www.brownielocks.com/minnesotatalk.html

or the book of the same name is fun.

My girlfriend explained that where she came from "hill" was used for
"heel" and of course a "heel" was a "hill"

On 9/23/2012 1:21 PM, Mike Painter wrote:

>>> But will Americans ever learn to speak it properly?
>>
>> In New England (where *I* live which has absolutely no bearing upon my
>> opinion) we speak English the proper way that it is supposed to be spoken.
>
> I've heard some folk music from Appalachia and could not understand
> any of it. I suspect they say the same thing.

Ya, but obviously those fucking hillbillies are wrong.

PS- The hottest girl I ever banged was an illiterate girl from West
Virginia who looked like a model...AND she was stupid to boot!

I once was at her house and saw a copy of the book 'Voyages In English'
which we had as a school textbook when I was in either the 2nd or 3rd
grade. This girl was SO hot that it really didn't matter if she could
read or not. Well, at least it didn't matter to ME.

> http://www.brownielocks.com/minnesotatalk.html
>
> or the book of the same name is fun.
>
> My girlfriend explained that where she came from "hill" was used for
> "heel" and of course a "heel" was a "hill"

Fucking hillbillies.. Was she hot?