Research Discussion: Now Is The Time To Bomb Them

Now Is The Time To Bomb Them

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next  (First | Last)

Harlow's Notebook: Now is the time! All potential jihadists have come
out from under their rocks and swarmed out of their caves and are now
out in the open. We should attack NOW. Death is the only cure for the
disease known as religion...And Islam is the place to start the killing.

Send in the reaper drones. Kill them all. Some collateral damage will
be done, but that is perfectly acceptable to me.

Editor's note: Several protests stemming at least in part from an
anti-Islam film produced in the United States are unfolding outside U.S.
embassies around the world. Friday's protests follow ones Tuesday at the
U.S. Embassy in Cairo and the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, where attacks
killed the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans.

In Tunisia, protesters have scaled a U.S. Embassy gate and set fire to
cars on the property, a journalist there says. In Egypt, the influential
Muslim Brotherhood canceled nationwide protests planned for Friday, but
a running battle between police and protesters in Cairo continued into
its fourth day.

Follow the live blog below for all of the developments around the world.

[Updated at 12:23 p.m. ET] Nigerian military and police fired shots to
disperse a crowd of protesters in the city of Jos, an eyewitness said.

About 2,000 people protesting the anti-Islamic film gathered at a
central mosque, and security forces intervened when the crowd started
moving toward the city center.

[Updated at 12:15 p.m. ET] Some protesters who scaled the gates of the
U.S. Embassy in Tunis, Tunisia, reached a garden outside the building
but have not breached the building itself, journalist Zeid Mhirsi reports.

Also, the thick, black smoke that we previously reported was near the
Embassy is coming from burning vehicles on the Embassy grounds, Mhirsi
reported.

Earlier, he reported that protesters took down a U.S. flag from a pole
at the Embassy and replaced it with a black flag. Police were firing
tear gas in an attempt to disperse them. (See 10:20 and 10:42 a.m.
entries.) Hard-line Muslims known as Salafists were among the
demonstrators, Mhirsi reported.

[Updated at 12:06 p.m. ET] Some Friday protests that hadn't yet been
mentioned in this blog post:

– In Afghanistan, hundreds of demonstrators in the eastern Nangarhar
province burned a U.S. flag and chanted "Death to America" and "We
condemn the film." The demonstration lasted about an hour and ended
peacefully, a local official said. The Afghan government has ordered an
indefinite block of YouTube to prevent people there from watching the
clips and staging violent protests.

– In Baghdad, Iraq, hundreds of followers of the radical Shiite Muslim
cleric Muqtada al-Sadr chanted "No to America, no to Israel."

– In Jerusalem, Palestinians marched from the al-Aqsa mosque toward the
U.S. Consulate, but were prevented from reaching the mission by Israeli
riot forces.

– In Syria, hundreds gathered outside the U.S. Embassy in Damascus.
Protesters waved placards that condemned the film and blamed the U.S.
administration for allowing the production and broadcast of it,
according to the state-run Syrian Arab News Agency.

– In Iran, the Islamic Propagation Coordination Council called for
nationwide rallies Friday to protest the film and what it is calling a
U.S.-backed plot against Muslims, according to the state-run IRNA news
agency.

[Updated at 11:57 a.m. ET] An update on Friday's protest outside the
U.S. Embassy in Khartoum, Sudan: Journalist Isma'il Kushkush says no
protesters have been able to get inside the compound, and that police
and security forces appear to have the situation under control.

Small fires are burning nearby. Kushkush said he believes protesters set
tires ablaze. For more on the Khartoum protests, including one at the
German Embassy there, see the 9:54 and 8:42 a.m. entries.

[Updated at 11:52 a.m. ET] Ninety-three protesters have been arrested in
Egypt since Thursday night, Egyptian Interior Ministry spokesman Alaa
Mahmoud said. Forty-eight officers have been injured, he added.

[Updated at 11:40 a.m. ET] Protesters in southern India have been
arrested on suspicion of throwing rocks at the U.S. Consulate in
Chennai, the city police commissioner said. As many as 200 protesters
were demonstrating in front of the building, but the number arrested was
not reported. There were no reported injuries.

[Updated at 10:57 a.m. ET] Video from Tunisia's capital shows thick,
black smoke rising from an area near the U.S. Embassy. It's not clear
what was on fire.

Protesters there had taken down a U.S. flag from the embassy property
and replaced it with a black flag, journalist Zeid Mhirsi reported.
Police fired tear gas at protesters as some of them climbed the
property's walls.

[Updated at 10:42 a.m. ET] Protesters have taken down a U.S. flag from a
pole at the U.S. Embassy in Tunis, Tunisia, and replaced it with a black
flag, journalist Zeid Mhirsi reports.

Earlier, Mhirsi reported protesters were climbing the building's gates,
and police fired tear gas in an attempt to disperse them. (See 10:20
a.m. entry.) Hard-line Muslims known as Salafists were among the
demonstrators, Mhirsi reported.

[Updated at 10:25 a.m. ET] A U.S. Marine Corps security team is being
sent to help protect U.S. diplomatic installations in Yemen, including
the Embassy in Saana, a senior U.S. official said, according to CNN's
Barbara Starr.

Earlier today, Yemeni police opened fire to stop protesters from
reaching the U.S. Embassy in Saana, witnesses said (see 7:31 a.m. entry).

The protection team is similar to the team of 50 Marines that was sent
earlier this this week to Tripoli, Libya, in the wake of the attack in
Benghazi.

[Updated at 10:20 a.m. ET] Protesters are climbing the gates of the U.S.
Embassy in Tunis, Tunisia, and police have fired tear gas in an attempt
to disperse them, journalist Zeid Mhirsi reports.

Some protesters, who are about 20 meters outside the U.S. Embassy gates,
are throwing rocks at the police, Mhirsi says. He says
that some protesters are waving black flags as they attempt to vandalize
the gates.

[Updated at 10:15 a.m. ET] U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is
scheduled to receive the remains of the U.S. diplomats killed in Libya
at Andrews Air Force Base at 2 p.m. ET Friday.

[Updated at 10:13 a.m. ET] Add Tunisia to the list of Friday's protests.
Hundreds of protesters have left Friday prayers and are heading to the
U.S. Embassy in a neighborhood in Tunis, journalist Zeid Mhirsi
reported. There is a strong Tunisian police presence in the area.

Hard-line Muslims known as Salafists were among the demonstrators, who
were in pickup trucks and on foot.

[Updated at 9:54 a.m. ET] Ron Hawkins, a spokesman for the U.S. Embassy
in Khartoum, said that because Friday is a non-work day, most of the
staff and Embassy personnel are not there as protesters gather outside
the building. As far as security goes, Marines are assigned there, and
local police officers were sent there earlier Friday as a precautionary
measure, Hawkins said.

Earlier Friday, a fire was set at the vacated German Embassy as
protesters gathered there. The protest at the U.S. building so has been
peaceful, journalist Isma'il Kamal Kushkush said (see 8:42 a.m. entry).

[Updated at 9:31 a.m. ET] More information from Khartoum, Sudan:
Protesters have gathered outside the U.S. Embassy there, a journalist at
the scene said. The demonstration is peaceful so far.

Earlier today, protesters in Khartoum set the German Embassy on fire and
also rallied outside the nearby UK Embassy (see 8:42 a.m. entry). The
German Embassy was vacated before the protests.

[Updated at 9:24 a.m. ET] Lebanon has joined the list of Friday
protests. One person was killed by police in Tripoli, Lebanon, after a
group of armed men stormed a KFC restaurant amid protests in the city,
Lebanese security forces told CNN.

About 40 armed men were spotted among 3,000 protesters, officials said.

Gen. Bassam Ayoubi, of the Lebanese internal security forces, said a
group of armed men stormed the KFC and asked people to leave. Ayoubi
said that the armed men then set the KFC on fire, at which time police
arrived and began to fire at the armed men, killing at least one of
them. Twenty-five were injured, he said, but it wasn't clear which of
the injured were on which side.

[Updated at 9:09 a.m. ET] The German Embassy in Khartoum, Sudan, was
vacated before the protest that reportedly has set the building on fire,
the German Foreign Ministry said.

The German Foreign Ministry also said that the Sudanese ambassador to
Germany has been called in to the German
Foreign Ministry in Berlin to discuss the situation in Khartoum.

Journalist Isma'il Kamal Kushkush told CNN about 30 minutes ago that the
German Embassy in Khartoum was on fire after protests against the online
anti-Islam video.

[Updated at 9 a.m. ET] An update on protests in Egypt, while we await