Research Discussion: As California Goes ... So Does The Nation ...

As California Goes ... So Does The Nation ...

I am NOT the autor of this article, so you Liberal bed-wetters, who
ultimately are responsible for this devastating decline of our once proud
State, which until the Democrats took total control in 2006, ranked as the
equivalent of the World's 7th wealthiest Nation, but now doesn't even rate
in the top 20, please direct your faux scorn at the real perpetrators, the
criminals of the Democrat Party and its Liberal goons ... Hagar.

This is an article from Victor Davis Hansen, a Senior Fellow at the Hoover
Institution at Stanford University ...

The last three weeks I have traveled about, taking the pulse of the more
forgotten areas of central California. I wanted to witness, even if
superficially, what is happening to a state that has the highest sales and
income taxes, the most lavish entitlements, the near-worst public schools
(based on federal test scores), and the largest number of illegal aliens in
the nation, along with an overregulated private sector, a stagnant and
shrinking manufacturing base, and an elite environmental ethos that
restricts commerce and productivity without curbing consumption.

During this unscientific experiment, three times a week I rode a bike on
a 20-mile trip over various rural roads in southwestern Fresno County. I
also drove my car over to the coast to work, on various routes through towns
like San Joaquin, Mendota, and Firebaugh. And near my home I have been
driving, shopping, and touring by intent the rather segregated and
impoverished areas of Caruthers, Fowler, Laton, Orange Cove, Parlier, and
Selma. My own farmhouse is now in an area of abject poverty and almost no
ethnic diversity; the closest elementary school (my alma mater, two miles
away) is 94 percent Hispanic and 1 percent white, and well below federal
testing norms in math and English.

Here are some general observations about what I saw (other than that
the rural roads of California are fast turning into rubble, poorly
maintained and reverting to what I remember seeing long ago in the rural
South). First, remember that these areas are the ground zero, so to speak,
of 20 years of illegal immigration. There has been a general depression in
farming - to such an extent that the 20- to-100-acre tree and vine farmer,
the erstwhile backbone of the old rural California, for all practical
purposes has ceased to exist.

On the western side of the Central Valley, the effects of arbitrary
cutoffs in federal irrigation water have idled tens of thousands of acres of
prime agricultural land, leaving thousands unemployed. Manufacturing plants
in the towns in these areas - which used to make harvesters, hydraulic
lifts, trailers, food-processing equipment - have largely shut down; their
production has been shipped off overseas or south of the border. Agriculture
itself - from almonds to raisins - has increasingly become corporatized and
mechanized, cutting by half the number of farm workers needed. So
unemployment runs somewhere between 15 and 20 percent.

Many of the rural trailer-house compounds I saw appear to the naked eye
no different from what I have seen in the Third World. There is a Caribbean
look to the junked cars, electric wires crisscrossing between various
outbuildings, plastic tarps substituting for replacement shingles, lean-tos
cobbled together as auxiliary housing, pit bulls unleashed, and geese,
goats, and chickens roaming around the yards. The public hears about all
sorts of tough California regulations that stymie business - rigid zoning
laws, strict building codes, never ending inspection cycles - but apparently
none of that applies out here.

It is almost as if the more California regulates, the more it does not
regulate. Its public employees prefer to go after misdemeanors in the
upscale areas to justify our expensive oversight industry, while ignoring
the felonies in the downtrodden areas, which are becoming feral and beyond
the ability of any inspector to do anything but feel irrelevant. But in the
regulators' defense, where would one get the money to redo an ad hoc trailer
park with a spider web of illegal bare wires?

Many of the rented-out rural shacks and stationary Winnebagos are on
former small farms - the vineyards overgrown with weeds, or torn out with
the ground lying fallow. I pass on the cultural consequences to communities
from the loss of thousands of small farming families. I don't think I can
remember another time when so many acres in the eastern part of the valley
have gone out of production, even though farm prices have recently
rebounded. Apparently it is simply not worth the gamble of investing $7,000
to $10,000 an acre in a new orchard or vineyard. What an anomaly - with
suddenly soaring farm prices, still we have thousands of acres in the
world's richest agricultural belt, with available water on the east side of
the valley and plentiful labor, gone idle or in disuse. Is credit frozen?
Are there simply no more farmers? Are the schools so bad as to scare away
potential agricultural entrepreneurs? Or are we all terrified by the
national debt and uncertain future?

California coastal elites may worry about the oxygen content of water
available to a three-inch smelt in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta,
but they seem to have no interest in the epidemic dumping of trash,
furniture, and often toxic substances throughout California's rural
hinterland. Yesterday, for example, I rode my bike by a stopped van just as
the occupants tossed seven plastic bags of raw refuse onto the side of the
road. I rode up near their bumper and said in my broken Spanish not to throw
garbage onto the public road. But there were three of them, and one of me.
So I was lucky to be sworn at only. I note in passing that I would not drive
into Mexico and, as a guest, dare to pull over and throw seven bags of trash
into the environment of my host.

In fact, trash piles are commonplace out here - composed of everything
from half-empty paint cans and children's plastic toys to diapers and moldy
food. I have never seen a rural sheriff cite a litterer, or witnessed state
EPA workers cleaning up these unauthorized wastelands. So I would suggest to
Bay Area scientists that the environment is taking a much harder beating
down here in central California than it is in the Delta. Perhaps before we
cut off more irrigation water to the west side of the valley, we might
invest some green dollars into cleaning up the unsightly and sometimes
dangerous garbage that now litters the outskirts of our rural communities.

We hear about the tough small-business regulations that have driven
residents out of the state, at the rate of 2,000 to 3,000 a week. But from
my unscientific observations these past weeks, it seems rather easy to open
a small business in California without any oversight at all, or at least
what I might call a "counter business." I counted eleven mobile hot-kitchen
trucks that simply park by the side of the road, spread about some plastic
chairs, pull down a tarp canopy, and, presto, become mini-restaurants. There
are no "facilities" such as toilets or washrooms. But I do frequently see
lard trails on the isolated roads I bike on, where trucks apparently have
simply opened their draining tanks and sped on, leaving a slick of cooking
fats and oils. Crows and ground squirrels love them; they can be seen from a
distance mysteriously occupied in the middle of the road.

At crossroads, peddlers in a counter-California economy sell almost
anything. Here is what I noticed at an intersection on the west side last
week: shovels, rakes, hoes, gas pumps, lawnmowers, lawn edgers, blowers,
jackets, gloves, and caps. The merchandise was all new. I doubt whether in
high-tax California sales taxes or income taxes were paid on any of these
stop-and-go transactions.

In two supermarkets 50 miles apart, I was the only one in line who did
not pay with a social-service plastic card (gone are the days when "food
stamps" were embarrassing bulky coupons). But I did not see any relationship
between the use of the card and poverty as we once knew it: The electrical
appurtenances owned by the user and the car into which the groceries were
loaded were indistinguishable from those of the upper middle class.

By that I mean that most consumers drove late-model Camrys, Accords, or
Tauruses, had iPhones, Bluetooths, or BlackBerries, and bought everything
in the store with public-assistance credit. This seemed a world apart from
the trailers I had just ridden by the day before. I don't editorialize here
on the logic or morality of any of this, but I note only that there are vast
numbers of people who apparently are not working, are on public food
assistance, and enjoy the technological veneer of the middle class.
California has a consumer market surely, but often no apparent source of
income. Does the $40 million a day supplement to unemployment benefits from
Washington explain some of this?

Do diversity concerns, as in lack of diversity, work both ways? Over a
hundred-mile stretch, when I stopped in San Joaquin for a bottled water, or
drove through Orange Cove, or got gas in Parlier, or went to a corner
market in southwestern Selma, my home town, I was the only non-Hispanic -
there were no Asians, no blacks, no other whites. We may speak of the
richness of "diversity," but those who cherish that ideal simply have no
idea that there are now countless inland communities that have become
near-apartheid societies, where Spanish is the first language, the schools
are not at all diverse, and the federal and state governments are either the
main employers or at least the chief sources of income - whether through
emergency rooms, rural health clinics, public schools, or social-service
offices. An observer from Mars might conclude that our elites and masses
have given up on the ideal of integration and assimilation, perhaps in the
wake of the arrival of 11 to 15 million illegal aliens.

Again, I do not editorialize, but I note these vast transformations
over the last 20 years that are the paradoxical wages of unchecked illegal
immigration from Mexico, a vast expansion of California's entitlements and
taxes, the flight of the upper middle class out of state, the deliberate
effort not to tap natural resources, the downsizing in manufacturing and
agriculture, and the departure of whites, blacks, and Asians from many of
these small towns to more racially diverse and upscale areas of California.

Fresno's California State University campus is embroiled in controversy
over the student body president's announcing that he is an illegal alien,
with all the requisite protests in favor of the DREAM Act. I won't comment
on the legislation per se, but again only note the anomaly. I taught at CSUF
for 21 years. I think it fair to say that the predominant theme of the
Chicano and Latin American Studies program's sizable curriculum was a fuzzy
American culpability. By that I mean that students in those classes heard of
the sins of America more often than its attractions. In my home town,
Mexican flag decals on car windows are far more common than their American
counterparts.

I note this because hundreds of students here illegally are now
terrified of being deported to Mexico. I can understand that, given the
chaos in Mexico and their own, long residency in the United States. But here
is what still confuses me: If one were to consider the classes that deal
with Mexico at the university, or the visible displays of national
chauvinism, then one might conclude that Mexico is a far more attractive
and moral place than the United States.

So there is a surreal nature to these protests: something like, "Please
do not send me back to the culture I nostalgically praise; please let me
stay in the culture that I ignore or deprecate." I think the DREAM Act
protestors might have been far more successful in winning public opinion had
they stopped blaming the U.S. for suggesting that they might have to leave
at some point, and instead explained why, in fact, they want to stay. What
it is about America that makes a youth of 21 go on a hunger strike or
demonstrate to be allowed to remain in this country rather than return to
the place of his birth?

I think I know the answer to this paradox. Missing entirely in the above
description is the attitude of the host, which by any historical standard
can only be termed "indifferent." California does not care whether one broke
the law to arrive here or continues to break it by staying. It asks nothing
of the illegal immigrant - no proficiency in English, no acquaintance with
American history and values, no proof of income, no record of education or
skills. It does provide all the public assistance that it can afford (and
more that it borrows for), and apparently waives enforcement of most of
California's burdensome regulations and civic statutes that increasingly
have plagued productive citizens to the point of driving them out. How odd
that we over-regulate those who are citizens and have capital to the point
of banishing them from the state, but do not regulate those who are aliens
and without capital to the point of encouraging millions more to follow in
their footsteps. How odd - to paraphrase what Critias once said of ancient
Sparta - that California is at once both the nation's most unfree and most
free state, the most repressed and the wildest.

Hundreds of thousands sense all that and vote accordingly with their
feet, both into and out of California - and the result is a sort of social,
cultural, economic, and political time-bomb, whose ticks are getting louder.

Victor Davis Hanson is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution, the
editor of Makers of Ancient Strategy: From the Persian Wars to the Fall of
Rome , and the author of The Father of Us All: War and History, Ancient and
Modern.

"Hagar" wrote in message

[...]

As per usual with the authors of these "studies," never is a specific plan
laid out to deal with even one of the issues. Take water, for example. The
"problem" is that per an interstate compact, CA is only entitled to so much
water from the Colorado river. CA agribusiness, OTOH, seems to believe it
is entitled to as much water as it can draw from states to the east an north
in order to grow where nature had not intended.

Herbert Glazier
2011-02-12 14:14:54 EST
On Feb 12, 1:04 pm, "Notroll2012" <notroll2...@charter.net> wrote:
> [...]
> hundred-mile  stretch, when I stopped in San Joaquin for a bottled water, or
> drove through  Orange Cove, or got gas in Parlier, or went to a corner
> market in southwestern  Selma, my home town, I was the only non-Hispanic -
> there were no Asians, no  blacks, no other whites. We may speak of the
> richness of "diversity," but those who cherish that ideal simply have no
> idea that there are now countless inland communities that have become
> near-apartheid societies, where Spanish is the first language, the schools
> are not at all diverse, and the federal and state governments are either the
> main employers or at least the chief sources of income - whether through
> emergency rooms, rural health clinics, public schools, or social-service
> offices. An observer from Mars might conclude that our elites and masses

Florida under Jeb Bush was first state to go fascist. Do not leave
home without your papers in Arizona. California needs Mexicans to
work the vast farms. They sleep in the fields. Their babies are
Americans O ya TreBert

Herbert Glazier
2011-02-13 13:55:23 EST
On Feb 12, 2:14 pm, herbert glazier <herbertglazi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > numbers of people who apparently are not working, are on public food
> > assistance, and enjoy the technological veneer of the middle class.
> > California has a consumer market surely, but often no apparent source of
> > income. Does the $40 million a day supplement to unemployment benefits from
> > Washington explain some of this?
>
> >     Do diversity concerns, as in lack of diversity, work both ways? Over a
> > hundred-mile  stretch, when I stopped in San Joaquin for a bottled water, or
> > drove through  Orange Cove, or got gas in Parlier, or went to a corner
> > market in southwestern  Selma, my home town, I was the only non-Hispanic -
> > there were no Asians, no  blacks, no other whites. We may speak of the
> > richness of "diversity," but those who cherish that ideal simply have no
> > idea that there are now countless inland communities that have become

IN LA every high class bar will sell you pot $25 or cocaine $60 to
get high.Cocaine is a wonder drug (Sigman F) Pot out sells corn and
wheat($$$$) in Mafia USA. Opium will be next(the Godfather has
spoken) Palin will serve tea and smoke opium in the Rose Garden.
Praise the Godfather and pass the pipe,for the GOP rich. Praise the
Godfather for passing the Tang for the democratic poor,and having his
Waste Management dump the families bodies to the nearest dump. This
is one of my easy predictions. It comes from living in the corrupt GOP
Florida. Florida GOPers experdited me. Well I posted all that. Seems
Osceola sheriff "Bob" Hansell attempts to kill me (3 in all) only
createdpain and great damage to my body. Went even to Washington for
help. Still waiting O ya TreBert

On 2/12/2011 2:14 PM, herbert glazier wrote:

> Florida under Jeb Bush was first state to go fascist. Do not leave
> home without your papers in Arizona. California needs Mexicans to
> work the vast farms. They sleep in the fields. Their babies are
> Americans O ya TreBert

Bert: You are no longer living in Florida.

Get over it.

There are plenty of MA corruption stories to go around.

Ala

> On 2/12/2011 2:14 PM, herbert glazier wrote:
>

>> Florida under Jeb Bush was first state to go fascist. Do not leave
>> home without your papers in Arizona. California needs Mexicans to
>> work the vast farms. They sleep in the fields. Their babies are
>> Americans O ya TreBert
>

> Bert: You are no longer living in Florida.
>
> Get over it.
>
> There are plenty of MA corruption stories to go around.

that is a shame. I heard vegas is gone too.

one day they will have a vendor conference in space, and you can get some of
those special soviet pens for free, the ones that don't dry up when you
write in a zero g environment

"Ala" <alackrity@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "HVAC" <mr.hvac@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 2/12/2011 2:14 PM, herbert glazier wrote:
>>

>>> Florida under Jeb Bush was first state to go fascist. Do not leave
>>> home without your papers in Arizona. California needs Mexicans to
>>> work the vast farms. They sleep in the fields. Their babies are
>>> Americans O ya TreBert
>>

>> Bert: You are no longer living in Florida.
>>
>> Get over it.
>>
>> There are plenty of MA corruption stories to go around.
>
> that is a shame. I heard vegas is gone too.
>
> one day they will have a vendor conference in space, and you can get some
> of those special soviet pens for free, the ones that don't dry up when you
> write in a zero g environment

... yes indeed ... they were called "Pencils", you doofus.
We're the ones who spent millions on a gravity defying pen.