Research Discussion: Is This The End Of Sarah Palin As We Know Her?

Is This The End Of Sarah Palin As We Know Her?

Sir Arthur C.B.E. Wholeflaffers A.S.A.
2011-01-24 02:03:05 EST
Is This the End of Sarah Palin As We Know Her? - Has Palin finally
tarnished her luster with her thoughtless remarks about the Giffords
shooting, or will she turn this into yet another opportunity to play
the victim?

Has Sarah Palin gone too far this time? Or is she immune, able to
cross any line no matter how sacred? With every headline-making gaffe
or nasty comment Sarah Palin has made over the past few years, pundits
and citizens alike have pondered this question, and the answer, until
now, is that like the Energizer Bunny, she just keeps going.

Still, it’s worth asking again, in the wake of last weekend's
senseless tragedy which puts a new light on her public persona.
Palin's cavalier use of violent imagery may not have directly caused
the Tucson shooting that left six dead and a dozen wounded--but it
seems uglier now. Her endless gambits to rule the news cycle may be
grudgingly admired at other times--but when it takes precious time
away from mourning those whose lives are lost forever, it has a
pathetic, out-of-touch-feel.

The heat on Palin began almost immediately after the horrific Giffords
shooting, when social media users, bloggers and journalists by the
hundreds made the immediate connection between Giffords’ Arizona
district and Palin’s infamous “reload” crosshairs map, which put a
target over that district. This map from Palin's camp had bothered
onlookers at the time: Giffords herself had warned about it having
consequences. So it was natural that the map came back to mind.
More information surfaced about the alleged shooter, Jared Lee
Loughner, showing that he was not a Tea Party acolyte but a disturbed
individual with complex, confused personal and political motives.
Nevertheless, a Palin aide made the mistake of declaring that no, the
targets on the map were surveyor’s marks, not gun crosshairs. This
backtrack came despite the Twitter command to “reload” that initially
led Palin’s followers to the map. Such a ridiculous denial, of course,
made Palin's staff look all the more culpable, as absurd defensiveness
so often does. It was an amateur move, to say the least.
At that point, pundits like Joe Scarborough urged Palin to pledge to
tone down her rhetoric--not to apologize, but to demonstrate
reflectiveness. On Politico, Jonathan Martin wrote a feature depicting
Palin as being at a turning point and needing to choose a decisive
path: would she take to politics by presenting vision and authority
and centrist appeal, or would she keep stoking the fires and become a
talking head?

On the morning of the memorial for the victims of the shooting, the
previously silent Palin released an eight-minute video declaring her
hatred for war and violence, and then accusing critics of perpetrating
a “blood libel” against her -- a phrase that explicitly refers to the
cruel anti-Semitic stereotype of Jews taking the blood of Christian
children. Mainstream Jewish groups and even right-wing pundits like
Jonah Goldberg denounced Palin’s highly inappropriate use of the term
“blood libel” to apply to herself and other pundits being chastised
for their inflammatory rhetoric. It was a particular faux pas given
that several of the victims, including Giffords, are Jewish.
Gravitas, this video did not demonstrate.

The video clip's disturbing qualities encompassed more than the
offensive anti-Semitic connotations that Palin probably didn’t even
understand. Beyond the awful word choice, the tone of her eight-minute
message on a day meant to be devoted to the victims of the attack was
jarring and bizarre. Even in the pundit class that has revered Palin
for being a spokesperson for a subset of America, there was some
serious head-scratching. Palin’s words exposed her strategy for all to
see: seize the spotlight and hold on, no matter what the
circumstances. Most of the media-savvy population was aware of that
strategy. But on a day of grief, it appeared nakedly venal and self-
serving rather than full of gumption and can-do. And it raises the
inevitable question of what Palin would be without that strategy,
whether she stands for anything at all beyond her successful pose as
media provocateur.

Moreover, there's something pathetic there, too. Even with mainstream
media figures like Howard Kurtz defending her from blame over the
shooting, she still chose to make such a tragic day and a traumatic
incident about herself. Especially when contrasted with Obama’s
speech, which was so magnanimous, gentle and rousing, the queen of
folksiness looked remarkably out-of-touch, even narcissistic. Kurtz
himself expressed dismay over her reaction just days after taking her
critics to task, saying she'd "gone nuclear" with her speech.
Others were less measured in their reactions to her behavior.
Representative James Clyburn dismissed her as not having the intellect
to comprehend the tragedy. Mark Green in the Huffington Post declared
her candidacy, and even perhaps her future as a pundit dead.

He wrote: Because she has not shown any of the experience, intellect,
character or temperament to be a serious presidential contender -- and
because Republican leaders are not politically stupid -- she has now
officially been destroyed as a serious candidate not by the
"lamestream" media but by herself. She's her own worst enemy.
Palin is backed into a corner. But it is a corner that can be
effective for rallying an increasingly vocal, if marginal base. As
William Rivers-Pitt wrote at TruthOut this week, “Before you start
spluttering and staggering in an attempt to comprehend the sheer
galactic magnitude of this new round of idiocy...stop a second and
remember that this is how people like Sarah Palin operate. This is how
they get others to follow them. They make themselves out to be
victims, and convince their followers that they, too, are victims.”

It’s been effective thus far. Melissa Harris-Perry made a similar
point in the Nation weeks ago about Palin’s ability to turn apparent
political adversity into a payday. “There is something remarkable and
frightening about the depth of her belief in her narrative. Every
criticism, every defeat, every attack is just evidence of the virtue
of her chosen path,” she wrote of Palin’s persona, so compelling even
to those who disagree with her.

It’s doubtful that Sarah Palin’s loyal base will turn on her any time
soon. And perhaps she’ll continue to seek office with some success, or
the media will keep her around for her point of view as they have with
known bigot and anti-Semite Pat Buchanan. (Buchanan has softened his
tone to that of an avuncular grump, and even he thought Palin should
make a statement that she would tamp down her rhetoric for the sake of
her career if nothing else.)

And yet, something feels different now. We wish tragedies like this
weekend's never occurred, and no result of them can ever be seen as a
positive. But it's a time-honored truth that adversity brings out a
person’s true character, for better or worse. For Sarah Palin, it’s
definitely been for worse. She won't disappear, but she may have lost
some unearned stature that should have been sloughed off long, long
ago.
http://www.alternet.org/story/149522/is_this_the_end_of_sarah_palin_as_we_know_her?page=entire

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 23:03:05 -0800 (PST), "Sir Arthur C.B.E.

>Is This the End of Sarah Palin As We Know Her?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Women_playing_hockey_outside_Varsity_Arena_Toronto.jpg

"Nice to see you, To see you Nice"

"Give Us a Twirl"

"Good Game, Good Game"

"Didn't they Do Well" !!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hqT_jbi3Wm8/Slxy4RnlBrI/AAAAAAAADkI/cqAV3bj_hKc/s400/Generation-Game.jpg

My 5km Walk The Other Day...
http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t2/SirGilliganHorry/Photos%20For%20Alt%20Alien%20Research/

"Jims Space Agency"
http://www.YouTube.com/JimsSpaceAgency

___

The Patriot
2011-01-24 12:42:56 EST

<*e@zzz.com> wrote in message
Is This the End of Sarah Palin As We Know Her? - Has
Palin finally
tarnished her luster with her thoughtless remarks about
the Giffords
shooting, or will she turn this into yet another
opportunity to play
the victim?

Has Sarah Palin gone too far this time? Or is she
immune, able to
cross any line no matter how sacred? With every
headline-making gaffe
or nasty comment Sarah Palin has made over the past few
years, pundits
and citizens alike have pondered this question, and the
answer, until
now, is that like the Energizer Bunny, she just keeps
going.

Still, it\ufffds worth asking again, in the wake of last
weekend's
senseless tragedy which puts a new light on her public
persona.
Palin's cavalier use of violent imagery may not have
directly caused
the Tucson shooting that left six dead and a dozen
wounded--but it
seems uglier now. Her endless gambits to rule the news
cycle may be
grudgingly admired at other times--but when it takes
precious time
away from mourning those whose lives are lost forever,
it has a
pathetic, out-of-touch-feel.

The heat on Palin began almost immediately after the
horrific Giffords
shooting, when social media users, bloggers and
journalists by the
hundreds made the immediate connection between Giffords\ufffd
Arizona
district and Palin\ufffds infamous \ufffdreload\ufffd crosshairs map,
which put a
target over that district. This map from Palin's camp
had bothered
onlookers at the time: Giffords herself had warned
about it having
consequences. So it was natural that the map came back
to mind.
More information surfaced about the alleged shooter,
Jared Lee
Loughner, showing that he was not a Tea Party acolyte
but a disturbed
individual with complex, confused personal and
political motives.
Nevertheless, a Palin aide made the mistake of
declaring that no, the
targets on the map were surveyor\ufffds marks, not gun
crosshairs. This
backtrack came despite the Twitter command to \ufffdreload\ufffd
that initially
led Palin\ufffds followers to the map. Such a ridiculous
[...]

a \ufffdblood libel\ufffd against her -- a phrase that explicitly
refers to the
cruel anti-Semitic stereotype of Jews taking the blood
of Christian
children. Mainstream Jewish groups and even right-wing
pundits like
Jonah Goldberg denounced Palin\ufffds highly inappropriate
use of the term
\ufffdblood libel\ufffd to apply to herself and other pundits
being chastised
for their inflammatory rhetoric. It was a particular
faux pas given
that several of the victims, including Giffords, are
Jewish.
Gravitas, this video did not demonstrate.

The video clip's disturbing qualities encompassed more
than the
offensive anti-Semitic connotations that Palin probably
didn\ufffdt even
understand. Beyond the awful word choice, the tone of
her eight-minute
message on a day meant to be devoted to the victims of
the attack was
jarring and bizarre. Even in the pundit class that has
revered Palin
for being a spokesperson for a subset of America, there
was some
serious head-scratching. Palin\ufffds words exposed her
[...]

Obama\ufffds
[...]

\ufffdBefore you start
spluttering and staggering in an attempt to comprehend
the sheer
galactic magnitude of this new round of idiocy...stop a
second and
remember that this is how people like Sarah Palin
operate. This is how
they get others to follow them. They make themselves
out to be
victims, and convince their followers that they, too,
are victims.\ufffd

It\ufffds been effective thus far. Melissa Harris-Perry made
a similar
point in the Nation weeks ago about Palin\ufffds ability to
turn apparent
political adversity into a payday. \ufffdThere is something
remarkable and
frightening about the depth of her belief in her
narrative. Every
criticism, every defeat, every attack is just evidence
of the virtue
of her chosen path,\ufffd she wrote of Palin\ufffds persona, so
compelling even
to those who disagree with her.

It\ufffds doubtful that Sarah Palin\ufffds loyal base will turn
on her any time
soon. And perhaps she\ufffdll continue to seek office with
some success, or
the media will keep her around for her point of view as
they have with
known bigot and anti-Semite Pat Buchanan. (Buchanan has
softened his
tone to that of an avuncular grump, and even he thought
Palin should
make a statement that she would tamp down her rhetoric
for the sake of
her career if nothing else.)

And yet, something feels different now. We wish
tragedies like this
weekend's never occurred, and no result of them can
ever be seen as a
positive. But it's a time-honored truth that adversity
brings out a
person\ufffds true character, for better or worse. For Sarah
Palin, it\ufffds
definitely been for worse. She won't disappear, but she
may have lost
some unearned stature that should have been sloughed
off long, long
ago.
It seems that you will stoop to nothing to advance your
agenda. You useless piece of crap. You are a
degenerate human being. I hope you are the next
criminal to be hung.

Sir Arthur C.B.E. Wholeflaffers A.S.A.
2011-01-26 07:13:11 EST
On Jan 24, 9:42 am, "The Patriot" <xxx...@charter.net> wrote:
> [...]
> make a statement that she would tamp down her rhetoric
> for the sake of
> her career if nothing else.)
>
> And yet, something feels different now. We wish
> tragedies like this
> weekend's never occurred, and no result of them can
> ever be seen as a
> positive. But it's a time-honored truth that adversity
> brings out a
> person’s true character, for better or worse. For Sarah
> Palin, it’s
> definitely been for worse. She won't disappear, but she
> may have lost
> some unearned stature that should have been sloughed
> off long, long
> ago.
> It seems that you will stoop to nothing to advance your
> agenda.  You useless piece of crap.  You are a
> degenerate human being.  I hope you are the next

ALL MANKIND are uniting under the banner of anti-debunkerism

We will no longer be HELD HOSTAGE by debunkers and their ilk.

A new day is dawning for THIS ISLAND EARTH when the truth-TERROR
threat of debunkers is finally eliminated once and for all!!

Please crawl out of your cave and march over to your nearest FEMA
camp, and take the rest of your cult with you!!

No more posts from debunkers - EVER!!!

Sir ArtiØ

The Patriot
2011-01-26 13:55:50 EST

wrote:
> "Sir Arthur C.B.E. Wholeflaffers
> A.S.A."<scie...@zzz.com> wrote in message

> Is This the End of Sarah Palin As We Know Her?

> It seems that you will stoop to nothing to advance
> your
> agenda. You useless piece of crap. You are a
> degenerate human being. I hope you are the next
> criminal to be hung.

ALL MANKIND are uniting under the banner of
anti-debunkerism

We will no longer be HELD HOSTAGE by debunkers and
their ilk.

A new day is dawning for THIS ISLAND EARTH when the
truth-TERROR
threat of debunkers is finally eliminated once and for
all!!

Please crawl out of your cave and march over to your
nearest FEMA
camp, and take the rest of your cult with you!!

No more posts from debunkers - EVER!!!

Sir Arti\ufffd
*************************************
Yes Sir, comrade Hitler!

Hager
2011-01-28 15:10:47 EST
Let's just say that Sarah Palin is hated by the Leftard Liberals almost as
much as George Bush or Dick Cheney. There isn't a day when they don't go
into an orgasmic frenzy some new tidbit, usually a lie, that surfaces
somewhere in the Blogosphere.
Sarah is to them what that Botox-injected, bongo drum tautly stretched
formerly wrinkled facial leather of that Standard bearer of Liberal idiocy,
one Nancy Pelosi, is to us Conservatives.

Go Sarah ... I hope you have a long, long career driving the Liberals morons
into a frenzy for those final few inches that separate their insanity from
the cliff their black Pied Piper is about to lead them over.

God bless you Sarah ... go kill and skin another Moose ... or a Caribou ...
if you see something in the Alaskan bush that resembles a big Asshole ...
don't shoot ... it's probably a Liberal, following the lemmings headed for
..... well, anyway ... not worth the waste of ammo.

Sir Arthur CB Wholeflaffers ASA
2011-01-30 11:46:06 EST
On Jan 28, 12:10 pm, "Hager" <hs...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Let's just say that Sarah Palin is hated by the Leftard Liberals almost as
> much as George Bush or Dick Cheney.  There isn't a day when they don't go
> into an orgasmic frenzy some new tidbit, usually a lie, that surfaces
> somewhere in the Blogosphere.
> Sarah is to them what that Botox-injected, bongo drum tautly stretched
> formerly wrinkled facial leather of that Standard bearer of Liberal idiocy,
> one Nancy Pelosi, is to us Conservatives.
>
> Go Sarah ... I hope you have a long, long career driving the Liberals morons
> into a frenzy for those final few inches that separate their insanity from
> the cliff their black Pied Piper is about to lead them over.
>
> God bless you Sarah ... go kill and skin another Moose ... or a Caribou ...
> if you see something in the Alaskan bush that resembles a big Asshole ...
> don't shoot ... it's probably a Liberal, following the lemmings headed for
> ..... well, anyway ... not worth the waste of ammo.

Palin is for nitwits, fools, people who eat feces and drink urine--
sounds like your typical debunker.

Sir Arthur CB Wholeflaffers ASA
2011-01-30 11:47:51 EST
On Jan 26, 10:55 am, "The Patriot" <xxx...@charter.net> wrote:
> "Sir Arthur C.B.E. Wholeflaffers A.S.A."<scie...@zzz.com> wrote in message

> On Jan 24, 9:42 am, "The Patriot" <xxx...@charter.net>
> wrote:
>
> > "Sir Arthur C.B.E. Wholeflaffers
> > A.S.A."<scie...@zzz.com> wrote in message

> > Is This the End of Sarah Palin As We Know Her?
> > It seems that you will stoop to nothing to advance
> > your
> > agenda. You useless piece of crap. You are a
> > degenerate human being. I hope you are the next
> > criminal to be hung.
>
> ALL MANKIND are uniting under the banner of
> anti-debunkerism
>
> We will no longer be HELD HOSTAGE by debunkers and
> their ilk.
>
> A new day is dawning for THIS ISLAND EARTH when the
> truth-TERROR
> threat of debunkers is finally eliminated once and for
> all!!
>
> Please crawl out of your cave and march over to your
> nearest FEMA
> camp, and take the rest of your cult with you!!
>
> No more posts from debunkers - EVER!!!
>
> Sir Arti
> *************************************
> Yes Sir, comrade Hitler!

ALL MANKIND are uniting under the banner of anti-debunkerism

We will no longer be HELD HOSTAGE by debunkers and their ilk.

A new day is dawning for THIS ISLAND EARTH when the truth-TERROR
threat of debunkers is finally eliminated once and for all!!

Please crawl out of your cave and march over to your nearest FEMA
camp, and take the rest of your cult with you!!

No more posts from debunkers - EVER!!!

I am asking the Octagon® to start using atomics against ALL debunker
strong-holds.

We must win this war or else its bye-bye THIS ISLAND EARTH!!

Sir ArtiØ

New Nym
2011-01-30 12:11:08 EST
In article
<e264608e-7950-4c73-885e-e5e4457ff787@o32g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
Sir Arthur CB Wholeflaffers ASA <science@zzz.com> wrote:

> On Jan 28, 12:10\ufffdpm, "Hager" <hs...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Let's just say that Sarah Palin is hated by the Leftard Liberals almost as
> > much as George Bush or Dick Cheney. \ufffdThere isn't a day when they don't go
> > into an orgasmic frenzy some new tidbit, usually a lie, that surfaces
> > somewhere in the Blogosphere.
> > Sarah is to them what that Botox-injected, bongo drum tautly stretched
> > formerly wrinkled facial leather of that Standard bearer of Liberal idiocy,
> > one Nancy Pelosi, is to us Conservatives.
> >
> > Go Sarah ... I hope you have a long, long career driving the Liberals morons
> > into a frenzy for those final few inches that separate their insanity from
> > the cliff their black Pied Piper is about to lead them over.
> >
> > God bless you Sarah ... go kill and skin another Moose ... or a Caribou ...
> > if you see something in the Alaskan bush that resembles a big Asshole ...
> > don't shoot ... it's probably a Liberal, following the lemmings headed for
> > ..... well, anyway ... not worth the waste of ammo.
>
> Palin is for nitwits, fools, people who eat feces and drink urine--
> sounds like your typical debunker.

did you read "Doonesbury" t'day?
--
Karma, What a concept!