Research Discussion: The Biggest Black Hole In The Universe Could Swallow Our Entire Solar System

The Biggest Black Hole In The Universe Could Swallow Our Entire Solar System

Chatnoir
2011-01-18 20:51:12 EST
http://io9.com/5734850/the-biggest-black-hole-in-the-universe-could-swallow-our-entire-solar-system

The biggest black hole in the universe could swallow our entire solar
system

The supermassive black hole at the heart of the neighboring galaxy M87
has the mass of 6.6 billion suns. It's the biggest black hole to be
precisely measured, and it's us our best shot at really seeing these
strange objects.

The size of this black hole is almost impossible to comprehend. Even
among supermassive black holes, it's gigantic, weighing in at over
2000 times the size of the supermassive black hole at the center of
the Milky Way. Its event horizon is four times the orbit of Neptune,
meaning the Sun, all the planets, and a good chunk of the rocks and
dwarf planets beyond Neptune could all fit inside. And that's just the
black hole itself - its gravitational influence would reach far, far
beyond that.

Researchers believe supermassive black holes get bigger whenever
galaxies merge together, smashing the black holes from both galaxies
into one. In this case, the M87 black hole might well be the result of
hundreds of mergers one after the other, eventually creating this
giant. The movements of the M87 galaxy do indeed suggest that a merger
occurred in the relatively recent past.

The black hole isn't just a curiosity - its size gives us the best
chance to actually directly observe black holes. Although the
scientific community has reached a consensus that black holes do
indeed exist, we've only ever seen them indirectly, which means we
know precious little for certain about their actual properties. This
black hole, however, is so massive that next-generation telescopes
might actually be able to directly detect its event horizon by seeing
its silhouette against the glow of the M87 galaxy. Making such an
observation would move us into a new era of black hole science.

Warhol
2011-01-18 21:04:06 EST
On Jan 19, 2:51 am, chatnoir <wolfbat3...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> http://io9.com/5734850/the-biggest-black-hole-in-the-universe-could-s...
>
> The biggest black hole in the universe could swallow our entire solar
> system
>
> The supermassive black hole at the heart of the neighboring galaxy M87
> has the mass of 6.6 billion suns. It's the biggest black hole to be
> precisely measured, and it's us our best shot at really seeing these
> strange objects.
>
> The size of this black hole is almost impossible to comprehend. Even
> among supermassive black holes, it's gigantic, weighing in at over
> 2000 times the size of the supermassive black hole at the center of
> the Milky Way. Its event horizon is four times the orbit of Neptune,
> meaning the Sun, all the planets, and a good chunk of the rocks and
> dwarf planets beyond Neptune could all fit inside. And that's just the
> black hole itself - its gravitational influence would reach far, far
> beyond that.
>
> Researchers believe supermassive black holes get bigger whenever
> galaxies merge together, smashing the black holes from both galaxies
> into one. In this case, the M87 black hole might well be the result of
> hundreds of mergers one after the other, eventually creating this
> giant. The movements of the M87 galaxy do indeed suggest that a merger
> occurred in the relatively recent past.
>
> The black hole isn't just a curiosity - its size gives us the best
> chance to actually directly observe black holes. Although the
> scientific community has reached a consensus that black holes do
> indeed exist, we've only ever seen them indirectly, which means we
> know precious little for certain about their actual properties. This
> black hole, however, is so massive that next-generation telescopes
> might actually be able to directly detect its event horizon by seeing
> its silhouette against the glow of the M87 galaxy. Making such an
> observation would move us into a new era of black hole science.

what is the speed of darkness? and do Black holes really exist?

misusing E=mc². dark energy and dark matter are totally different in
nature. Dark matter is responsible for holding galaxies together while
dark energy is really the "negative pressure" that results in the
accelerated expanding universe...

Black Holes are a HOAX...

Bert
2011-01-18 21:12:35 EST
On Jan 18, 8:51 pm, chatnoir <wolfbat3...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> http://io9.com/5734850/the-biggest-black-hole-in-the-universe-could-s...
>
> The biggest black hole in the universe could swallow our entire solar
> system
>
> The supermassive black hole at the heart of the neighboring galaxy M87
> has the mass of 6.6 billion suns. It's the biggest black hole to be
> precisely measured, and it's us our best shot at really seeing these
> strange objects.
>
> The size of this black hole is almost impossible to comprehend. Even
> among supermassive black holes, it's gigantic, weighing in at over
> 2000 times the size of the supermassive black hole at the center of
> the Milky Way. Its event horizon is four times the orbit of Neptune,
> meaning the Sun, all the planets, and a good chunk of the rocks and
> dwarf planets beyond Neptune could all fit inside. And that's just the
> black hole itself - its gravitational influence would reach far, far
> beyond that.
>
> Researchers believe supermassive black holes get bigger whenever
> galaxies merge together, smashing the black holes from both galaxies
> into one. In this case, the M87 black hole might well be the result of
> hundreds of mergers one after the other, eventually creating this
> giant. The movements of the M87 galaxy do indeed suggest that a merger
> occurred in the relatively recent past.
>
> The black hole isn't just a curiosity - its size gives us the best
> chance to actually directly observe black holes. Although the
> scientific community has reached a consensus that black holes do
> indeed exist, we've only ever seen them indirectly, which means we
> know precious little for certain about their actual properties. This
> black hole, however, is so massive that next-generation telescopes
> might actually be able to directly detect its event horizon by seeing
> its silhouette against the glow of the M87 galaxy. Making such an
> observation would move us into a new era of black hole science.

Should a "Gamma ray burster" be a few LY from Earth it could destroy
the solar system. We detect those outside our Milky Way and some have
the power to light up the entire universe WOW TreBert PS after the
burst a huge black hole is left. Hmmm

"Warhol" <MolarH_One@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Jan 19, 2:51 am, chatnoir <wolfbat3...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> http://io9.com/5734850/the-biggest-black-hole-in-the-universe-could-s...

< sip chatnoir drivel >

what is the speed of darkness? and do Black holes really exist?

misusing E=mc\ufffd. dark energy and dark matter are totally different in
nature. Dark matter is responsible for holding galaxies together while
dark energy is really the "negative pressure" that results in the
accelerated expanding universe...

Black Holes are a HOAX...

WarSwine, I have a great investment opportunity for you and your fellow
Jihadists. A guy here in my hometown invented a "dark bulb" ... you flip
the switch at high noon, and the room goes pitch dark. Would be a great
addition to your terrorist arsenal. Let's say you and some of your fellow
bumbling Muslim morons try to blow up oh, say a single seater outhouse; you
sneak up on it after dark, but one of your buds ratted on you, in order to
get his 72 virgins, and the cops are chasing you, with a helicopter overhead
with a big searchlight. As soon as the searchlight hits you, you flip on
your "Flashdark" and shine it upon yourself, and ... instant invisibility.
This is ingenious. For a mere $ 100,000, I'll let you have enough shares in
the company to keep you and your fellow woman abusers in the dark for a
long, long time.

On Jan 18, 6:12 pm, bert <herbertglazie...@msn.com> wrote:
> On Jan 18, 8:51 pm, chatnoir <wolfbat3...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>

> >http://io9.com/5734850/the-biggest-black-hole-in-the-universe-could-s...
>
> > The biggest black hole in the universe could swallow our entire solar
> > system
>
> > The supermassive black hole at the heart of the neighboring galaxy M87
> > has the mass of 6.6 billion suns. It's the biggest black hole to be
> > precisely measured, and it's us our best shot at really seeing these
> > strange objects.
>
> > The size of this black hole is almost impossible to comprehend. Even
> > among supermassive black holes, it's gigantic, weighing in at over
> > 2000 times the size of the supermassive black hole at the center of
> > the Milky Way. Its event horizon is four times the orbit of Neptune,
> > meaning the Sun, all the planets, and a good chunk of the rocks and
> > dwarf planets beyond Neptune could all fit inside. And that's just the
> > black hole itself - its gravitational influence would reach far, far
> > beyond that.
>
> > Researchers believe supermassive black holes get bigger whenever
> > galaxies merge together, smashing the black holes from both galaxies
> > into one. In this case, the M87 black hole might well be the result of
> > hundreds of mergers one after the other, eventually creating this
> > giant. The movements of the M87 galaxy do indeed suggest that a merger
> > occurred in the relatively recent past.
>
> > The black hole isn't just a curiosity - its size gives us the best
> > chance to actually directly observe black holes. Although the
> > scientific community has reached a consensus that black holes do
> > indeed exist, we've only ever seen them indirectly, which means we
> > know precious little for certain about their actual properties. This
> > black hole, however, is so massive that next-generation telescopes
> > might actually be able to directly detect its event horizon by seeing
> > its silhouette against the glow of the M87 galaxy. Making such an
> > observation would move us into a new era of black hole science.
>
> Should a "Gamma ray burster" be a few LY from Earth it could destroy
> the solar system.  We detect those outside our Milky Way and some have
> the power to light up the entire universe WOW    TreBert  PS after the
> burst a huge black hole is left. Hmmm

We got badly zapped by Sirius(B) and yet we're still here, although
most everything of our global diversity at the time sort of died
within a very short period of time.

~ BG

On Jan 18, 6:04 pm, Warhol <MolarH_...@Hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2:51 am, chatnoir <wolfbat3...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>

> >http://io9.com/5734850/the-biggest-black-hole-in-the-universe-could-s...
>
> > The biggest black hole in the universe could swallow our entire solar
> > system
>
> > The supermassive black hole at the heart of the neighboring galaxy M87
> > has the mass of 6.6 billion suns. It's the biggest black hole to be
> > precisely measured, and it's us our best shot at really seeing these
> > strange objects.
>
> > The size of this black hole is almost impossible to comprehend. Even
> > among supermassive black holes, it's gigantic, weighing in at over
> > 2000 times the size of the supermassive black hole at the center of
> > the Milky Way. Its event horizon is four times the orbit of Neptune,
> > meaning the Sun, all the planets, and a good chunk of the rocks and
> > dwarf planets beyond Neptune could all fit inside. And that's just the
> > black hole itself - its gravitational influence would reach far, far
> > beyond that.
>
> > Researchers believe supermassive black holes get bigger whenever
> > galaxies merge together, smashing the black holes from both galaxies
> > into one. In this case, the M87 black hole might well be the result of
> > hundreds of mergers one after the other, eventually creating this
> > giant. The movements of the M87 galaxy do indeed suggest that a merger
> > occurred in the relatively recent past.
>
> > The black hole isn't just a curiosity - its size gives us the best
> > chance to actually directly observe black holes. Although the
> > scientific community has reached a consensus that black holes do
> > indeed exist, we've only ever seen them indirectly, which means we
> > know precious little for certain about their actual properties. This
> > black hole, however, is so massive that next-generation telescopes
> > might actually be able to directly detect its event horizon by seeing
> > its silhouette against the glow of the M87 galaxy. Making such an
> > observation would move us into a new era of black hole science.
>
> what is the speed of darkness? and do Black holes really exist?
>
> misusing E=mc². dark energy and dark matter are totally different in
> nature. Dark matter is responsible for holding galaxies together while
> dark energy is really the "negative pressure" that results in the
> accelerated expanding universe...
>
> Black Holes are a HOAX...

Could be God's flatulence after consuming too many galaxies.

On Jan 18, 5:51 pm, chatnoir <wolfbat3...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> http://io9.com/5734850/the-biggest-black-hole-in-the-universe-could-s...
>
> The biggest black hole in the universe could swallow our entire solar
> system
>
> The supermassive black hole at the heart of the neighboring galaxy M87
> has the mass of 6.6 billion suns. It's the biggest black hole to be
> precisely measured, and it's us our best shot at really seeing these
> strange objects.
>
> The size of this black hole is almost impossible to comprehend. Even
> among supermassive black holes, it's gigantic, weighing in at over
> 2000 times the size of the supermassive black hole at the center of
> the Milky Way. Its event horizon is four times the orbit of Neptune,
> meaning the Sun, all the planets, and a good chunk of the rocks and
> dwarf planets beyond Neptune could all fit inside. And that's just the
> black hole itself - its gravitational influence would reach far, far
> beyond that.
>
> Researchers believe supermassive black holes get bigger whenever
> galaxies merge together, smashing the black holes from both galaxies
> into one. In this case, the M87 black hole might well be the result of
> hundreds of mergers one after the other, eventually creating this
> giant. The movements of the M87 galaxy do indeed suggest that a merger
> occurred in the relatively recent past.
>
> The black hole isn't just a curiosity - its size gives us the best
> chance to actually directly observe black holes. Although the
> scientific community has reached a consensus that black holes do
> indeed exist, we've only ever seen them indirectly, which means we
> know precious little for certain about their actual properties. This
> black hole, however, is so massive that next-generation telescopes
> might actually be able to directly detect its event horizon by seeing
> its silhouette against the glow of the M87 galaxy. Making such an
> observation would move us into a new era of black hole science.

Worse than ever we need that StarShade mission, or rather we'll need
lots of them to go along with our spendy JWST and many other orbiting
instruments that are too sensitive to look directly at most stars or
them black holes.

StarShades increase the dynamic range by huge amounts.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=23&ved=0CLQBEBYwFg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fexep.jpl.nasa.gov%2Fpresentations%2F33-Lo_starshade_development.pdf&ei=uO42TYzTOIa4sQOQuMSGAg&usg=AFQjCNE4qdNQI-SaW4Ot3pwarS9MYiv7nA&sig2=RdLkW99dY3eq-mfsxWHk-w

exep.jpl.nasa.gov/presentations/33-Lo_starshade_development.pdf

~ BG

On Jan 18, 6:12 pm, bert <herbertglazie...@msn.com> wrote:
> On Jan 18, 8:51 pm, chatnoir <wolfbat3...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>

> >http://io9.com/5734850/the-biggest-black-hole-in-the-universe-could-s...
>
> > The biggest black hole in the universe could swallow our entire solar
> > system
>
> > The supermassive black hole at the heart of the neighboring galaxy M87
> > has the mass of 6.6 billion suns. It's the biggest black hole to be
> > precisely measured, and it's us our best shot at really seeing these
> > strange objects.
>
> > The size of this black hole is almost impossible to comprehend. Even
> > among supermassive black holes, it's gigantic, weighing in at over
> > 2000 times the size of the supermassive black hole at the center of
> > the Milky Way. Its event horizon is four times the orbit of Neptune,
> > meaning the Sun, all the planets, and a good chunk of the rocks and
> > dwarf planets beyond Neptune could all fit inside. And that's just the
> > black hole itself - its gravitational influence would reach far, far
> > beyond that.
>
> > Researchers believe supermassive black holes get bigger whenever
> > galaxies merge together, smashing the black holes from both galaxies
> > into one. In this case, the M87 black hole might well be the result of
> > hundreds of mergers one after the other, eventually creating this
> > giant. The movements of the M87 galaxy do indeed suggest that a merger
> > occurred in the relatively recent past.
>
> > The black hole isn't just a curiosity - its size gives us the best
> > chance to actually directly observe black holes. Although the
> > scientific community has reached a consensus that black holes do
> > indeed exist, we've only ever seen them indirectly, which means we
> > know precious little for certain about their actual properties. This
> > black hole, however, is so massive that next-generation telescopes
> > might actually be able to directly detect its event horizon by seeing
> > its silhouette against the glow of the M87 galaxy. Making such an
> > observation would move us into a new era of black hole science.
>
> Should a "Gamma ray burster" be a few LY from Earth it could destroy
> the solar system.  We detect those outside our Milky Way and some have
> the power to light up the entire universe WOW    TreBert  PS after the
> burst a huge black hole is left. Hmmm

We got badly zapped by Sirius(B) and yet we're still here, although
most everything of our global biodiversity at the time sort of died
within a very short gamma and X-ray radiated period of time.

~ BG

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:51:12 -0800 (PST), chatnoir
<*a@mindspring.com> wrote:

>http://io9.com/5734850/the-biggest-black-hole-in-the-universe-could-swallow-our-entire-solar-system
>
>The biggest black hole in the universe could swallow our entire solar
>system

They need a few of them at Disney World...

http://www.orlandofuntickets.com/Blog/uploaded_images/SpaceMountain--disney-world-762340.jpg

Could make trillion$ !

_____________________________

My 5km Walk The Other Day...
http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t2/SirGilliganHorry/Photos%20For%20Alt%20Alien%20Research/

"Jims Space Agency"
http://www.YouTube.com/JimsSpaceAgency

___

Warhol
2011-01-21 00:58:51 EST
On Jan 19, 3:24 am, "Hagar" <hs...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Warhol" <MolarH_...@Hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On Jan 19, 2:51 am, chatnoir <wolfbat3...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >http://io9.com/5734850/the-biggest-black-hole-in-the-universe-could-s...
>
> < sip chatnoir drivel >
>
> what is the speed of darkness? and do Black holes really exist?
>
> misusing E=mc². dark energy and dark matter are totally different in
> nature. Dark matter is responsible for holding galaxies together while
> dark energy is really the "negative pressure" that results in the
> accelerated expanding universe...
>
> Black Holes are a HOAX...
>
>         ****************************************
> WarSwine, I have a great investment opportunity for you and your fellow
> Jihadists.  A guy here in my hometown invented a "dark bulb" ... you flip
> the switch at high noon, and the room goes pitch dark. Would be a great
> addition to your terrorist arsenal.  Let's say you and some of your fellow
> bumbling Muslim morons try to blow up oh, say a single seater outhouse; you
> sneak up on it after dark, but one of your buds ratted on you, in order to
> get his 72 virgins, and the cops are chasing you, with a helicopter overhead
> with a big searchlight.  As soon as the searchlight hits you, you flip on
> your "Flashdark" and shine it upon yourself, and ... instant invisibility.
> This is ingenious. For a mere $ 100,000, I'll let you have enough shares in
> the company to keep you and your fellow woman abusers  in the dark for a
> long, long time.

My personal theory as a NO SCIENTIST is: Your'anus = black'hole ...

but you go like this... explained in simple terms.