Research Discussion: "I Have Almost No Doubt About It."

"I Have Almost No Doubt About It."

Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next  (First | Last)

The Starmaker
2010-10-11 23:36:56 EST
"I have almost no doubt about it."

What does "almost" mean?

"Personally, given the ubiquity and propensity of life to flourish wherever it can,
I would say, my own personal feeling is that the chances of life on this planet are 100 percent," said
Steven Vogt, a professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the University of California,
Santa Cruz, during a press briefing today.

"I have almost no doubt about it."
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/29/odds-life-newfound-earth-size-planet-percent-astronomer-say/

How can he say "100 percent", and then say "almost"?

Isn't Steven Voght just....lying?

Almost is not 100 percent.

Even *I* know that!

The StARMAKER

David Johnston
2010-10-12 02:07:35 EST
On Oct 11, 9:36 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> "I have almost no doubt about it."
>
> What does  "almost" mean?
>
> "Personally, given the ubiquity and propensity of life to flourish wherever it can,
> I would say, my own personal feeling is that the chances of life on this planet are 100 percent," said
> Steven Vogt, a professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the University of California,
> Santa Cruz, during a press briefing today.
>
> "I have almost no doubt about it."http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/29/odds-life-newfound-earth-si...
>
> How can he say "100 percent", and then say "almost"?

That's an extremely uninteresting question.

Joel Olson
2010-10-12 05:37:52 EST
"The Starmaker" <starmaker@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> "I have almost no doubt about it."
>

> What does "almost" mean?
>

> "Personally, given the ubiquity and propensity of life to flourish
> wherever it can,
> I would say, my own personal feeling is that the chances of life on this
> planet are 100 percent," said
> Steven Vogt, a professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the University
> of California,
> Santa Cruz, during a press briefing today.
>
> "I have almost no doubt about it."
> http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/29/odds-life-newfound-earth-size-planet-percent-astronomer-say/
>
> How can he say "100 percent", and then say "almost"?
>
> Isn't Steven Voght just....lying?
>
> Almost is not 100 percent.
> Even *I* know that!
>
> The StARMAKER

The (potential?) age of red dwarfs means there's lots of time for evolution
to have done (do?) its thing.

Vogt could well have made the same claim for all such situations - given
range of stellar mass, planet in habitable zone.

In the more advanced math courses, there are a number of theorems that
include the phrase "almost all". I would generously attribute his use of the
word 'almost' to the connotations of that phrase.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almost_all

Ken From Chicago
2010-10-12 05:46:56 EST

"David Johnston" <rgorman@telus.net> wrote in message
> On Oct 11, 9:36 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> "I have almost no doubt about it."
>>
>> What does "almost" mean?
>>
>> "Personally, given the ubiquity and propensity of life to flourish
>> wherever it can,
>> I would say, my own personal feeling is that the chances of life on this
>> planet are 100 percent," said
>> Steven Vogt, a professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the University
>> of California,
>> Santa Cruz, during a press briefing today.
>>
>> "I have almost no doubt about
>> it."http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/29/odds-life-newfound-earth-si...
>>
>> How can he say "100 percent", and then say "almost"?
>
> That's an extremely uninteresting question.

He's an astrophysicist not a mathematician?

-- Ken from Chicago

P.S. "On a scale of 1 to 5, I gave it a 5. On a scale of 1 to 10 I gave it
an 8." "So you're not very good at math?" "Someone been goin' to publics
school!"--[Commercial for a podcast]

Dano
2010-10-12 08:52:08 EST

"David Johnston" <rgorman@telus.net> wrote in message
> On Oct 11, 9:36 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> "I have almost no doubt about it."
>>
>> What does "almost" mean?
>>
>> "Personally, given the ubiquity and propensity of life to flourish
>> wherever it can,
>> I would say, my own personal feeling is that the chances of life on this
>> planet are 100 percent," said
>> Steven Vogt, a professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the University
>> of California,
>> Santa Cruz, during a press briefing today.
>>
>> "I have almost no doubt about
>> it."http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/29/odds-life-newfound-earth-si...
>>
>> How can he say "100 percent", and then say "almost"?
>
> That's an extremely uninteresting question.

It's also a really stupid question. Someone needs a dictionary I guess.
Not to mention a shred of common sense.

This is kind of technical. Maybe I can dumb it down for this
imbecile..."almost" means not quite...close to...nearly...i.e.
99%...98%...which to any normal person with an IQ above room temperature in
an igloo, would be "almost" 100%. But not quite.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/almost

Will In New Haven
2010-10-12 10:09:41 EST
On Oct 11, 11:36 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> "I have almost no doubt about it."
>
> What does  "almost" mean?
>
> "Personally, given the ubiquity and propensity of life to flourish wherever it can,
> I would say, my own personal feeling is that the chances of life on this planet are 100 percent," said
> Steven Vogt, a professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the University of California,
> Santa Cruz, during a press briefing today.
>
> "I have almost no doubt about it."http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/29/odds-life-newfound-earth-si...
>
> How can he say "100 percent", and then say "almost"?
>
> Isn't Steven Voght just....lying?
>
> Almost is not 100 percent.
>
> Even *I* know that!

Well, it would have to be extremely obvious for _you_ to know it
because you are extremely stupid. However, the likelyhood that he is
lying is almost nonexistent. He may not know what he is talking about
but that is a different matter.

Why don't you not post anything anymore? It would improve UseNet by
almost five percent.

--
Will in New Haven

Robert Carnegie
2010-10-12 11:00:45 EST
On Oct 12, 4:36 am, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> "I have almost no doubt about it."
>
> What does  "almost" mean?
>
> "Personally, given the ubiquity and propensity of life to flourish wherever it can,
> I would say, my own personal feeling is that the chances of life on this planet are 100 percent," said
> Steven Vogt, a professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the University of California,
> Santa Cruz, during a press briefing today.
>
> "I have almost no doubt about it."http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/29/odds-life-newfound-earth-si...
>
> How can he say "100 percent", and then say "almost"?
>
> Isn't Steven Voght just....lying?
>
> Almost is not 100 percent.
>
> Even *I* know that!
>
> The StARMAKER

I suppose he's rounding off to the nearest unit. Or maybe the nearest
1 significant figure... wait, does that mean ">95%" or ">50%"?

Maybe he means 99.9%.

I think he's wrong.

He may have misstated his opinion.

Maybe he meant THIS planet. Earth. Not THAT planet, the Gliese one.

I'm not sure about the chances of life on Earth. In the future, I
mean. I think the odds aren't good.

Strictly, we haven't yet invented anything that can kill every living
thing in this world - but we haven't finished trying.

Sea Wasp Ryk E. Spoor
2010-10-12 11:22:35 EST
On 10/12/10 11:00 AM, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Oct 12, 4:36 am, The Starmaker<starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> "I have almost no doubt about it."
>>
>> What does "almost" mean?
>>
>> "Personally, given the ubiquity and propensity of life to flourish wherever it can,
>> I would say, my own personal feeling is that the chances of life on this planet are 100 percent," said
>> Steven Vogt, a professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the University of California,
>> Santa Cruz, during a press briefing today.
>>
>> "I have almost no doubt about it."http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/29/odds-life-newfound-earth-si...
>>
>> How can he say "100 percent", and then say "almost"?
>>
>> Isn't Steven Voght just....lying?
>>
>> Almost is not 100 percent.
>>
>> Even *I* know that!
>>
>> The StARMAKER
>
> I suppose he's rounding off to the nearest unit. Or maybe the nearest
> 1 significant figure... wait, does that mean ">95%" or ">50%"?
>
> Maybe he means 99.9%.
>
> I think he's wrong.
>
> He may have misstated his opinion.
>
> Maybe he meant THIS planet. Earth. Not THAT planet, the Gliese one.
>
> I'm not sure about the chances of life on Earth. In the future, I
> mean. I think the odds aren't good.
>
> Strictly, we haven't yet invented anything that can kill every living
> thing in this world - but we haven't finished trying.

We haven't even started trying. I'm always amazed at such pessimism. We
could detonate every nuclear warhead in every arsenal on Earth and we
probably wouldn't even kill off humanity. (I was suprised to discover
we've detonated more than 2,000 nuclear devices since 1945)

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Cloud Dreamer
2010-10-12 11:29:14 EST
On 12/10/2010 12:52 PM, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
> On 10/12/10 11:00 AM, Robert Carnegie wrote:

>> Strictly, we haven't yet invented anything that can kill every living
>> thing in this world - but we haven't finished trying.
>>

> We haven't even started trying. I'm always amazed at such pessimism. We
> could detonate every nuclear warhead in every arsenal on Earth and we
> probably wouldn't even kill off humanity. (I was suprised to discover
> we've detonated more than 2,000 nuclear devices since 1945)

2000 over decades.

Try detonating 50,000 warheads all on the same day.

Human life would be extinct.

As it stands, if we don't make attempts at curbing CO2 emissions, there
would be enough CO2 in the atmosphere by 2150 to raise the planet's
temperature beyond what mankind could endure.

..

--
We must change the way we live
Or the climate will do it for us

The Starmaker
2010-10-12 13:22:13 EST
Dano wrote:

> "David Johnston" <rgorman@telus.net> wrote in message
> > On Oct 11, 9:36 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >> "I have almost no doubt about it."
> >>
> >> What does "almost" mean?
> >>
> >> "Personally, given the ubiquity and propensity of life to flourish
> >> wherever it can,
> >> I would say, my own personal feeling is that the chances of life on this
> >> planet are 100 percent," said
> >> Steven Vogt, a professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the University
> >> of California,
> >> Santa Cruz, during a press briefing today.
> >>
> >> "I have almost no doubt about
> >> it."http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/29/odds-life-newfound-earth-si...
> >>
> >> How can he say "100 percent", and then say "almost"?
> >
> > That's an extremely uninteresting question.
>
> It's also a really stupid question. Someone needs a dictionary I guess.
> Not to mention a shred of common sense.
>
> This is kind of technical. Maybe I can dumb it down for this
> imbecile..."almost" means not quite...close to...nearly...i.e.
> 99%...98%...which to any normal person with an IQ above room temperature in
> an igloo, would be "almost" 100%. But not quite.
>
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/almost

Someone needs glasses I guess...
He said "*are* 100 percent", not 'almost 100 percent'.

Even the word "are" means 100.

Why doesn't the 'scientific community' get some prominent (mad) scientist to go
on TV news with a empty bucket in his hand and tell the world
"There are buckets of aliens on Gliese 581g!!!"

What do you got to lose?

It's the end of Science anyway...

The Starmaker
Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next  (First | Last)