Research Discussion: Countdown To Vesta

Countdown To Vesta

Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next  (First | Last)

In about a year the probe will start orbiting this 350 mile across Asteroid
Belt monster. Read story below:

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/19aug_dawn2/

Mark Earnest
2010-08-20 03:01:23 EST
On Aug 19, 7:32 pm, "Hagar" <hagen@sahm,name> wrote:
> In about a year the probe will start orbiting this 350 mile across Asteroid
> Belt monster.  Read story below:
>
> http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/19aug_dawn2/

When will the other one reach Pluto?

Painius
2010-08-20 08:24:00 EST
My Dearest Mark,

"Mark Earnest" <gmearnest@yahoo.com> wrote in message...
On Aug 19, 7:32 pm, "Hagar" <hagen@sahm,name> wrote:

> In about a year the probe will start orbiting this 350 mile across
> Asteroid
> Belt monster. Read story below:
>
> http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/19aug_dawn2/

When will the other one reach Pluto?

P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A

New Horizons was launched on January 19, 2006 directly into
an Earth-and-solar-escape trajectory. It had an Earth-relative
velocity of about 16 km/s or 58,500 km/h (36,400 miles/hr).

It flew by Jupiter on February 28, 2007 and by Saturn's orbit on
June 8, 2008. It will arrive at Pluto on July 14, 2015 and then
continue on into the Kuiper belt. . . .

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Outersolarsystem_objectpositions_labels_comp_pluto_nh_crop.png

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Indelibly yours,
Paine Ellsworth

P.S.: "If there were no God, then there would
be no atheists." > G. K. Chesterton

P.P.S.: http://astronomy.painellsworth.net
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Paine_Ellsworth

Mark Earnest
2010-08-20 23:21:37 EST
On Aug 20, 7:24 am, "Painius" <starswirlern...@maol.com> wrote:
> My Dearest Mark,
>
> "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message...

> On Aug 19, 7:32 pm, "Hagar" <hagen@sahm,name> wrote:
>

> > In about a year the probe will start orbiting this 350 mile across
> > Asteroid
> > Belt monster. Read story below:
>
> >http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/19aug_dawn2/
>
> When will the other one reach Pluto?
>
>   P I T A   P I T A   P I T A   P I T A   P I T A   P I T A   P I T A
>
> New Horizons was launched on January 19, 2006 directly into
> an Earth-and-solar-escape trajectory.  It had an Earth-relative
> velocity of about 16 km/s or 58,500 km/h (36,400 miles/hr).
>
> It flew by Jupiter on February 28, 2007 and by Saturn's orbit on
> June 8, 2008.  It will arrive at Pluto on July 14, 2015 and then
> continue on into the Kuiper belt. . . .
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Outersolarsystem_objectpositio...
>
> happy days and...
>    starry starry nights!
>
> --
> Indelibly yours,
> Paine Ellsworth
>
> P.S.:  "If there were no God, then there would
>           be no atheists."          > G. K. Chesterton
>
> P.P.S.:  http://astronomy.painellsworth.net
>                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Paine_Ellsworth

Today, Vesta, tomorrow, Pluto, next, man on Mars, next, man on nearest
newly discovered
Earth like planet. Not necessarily in that order.

Someone's got to kick NASA into high gear.

Painius
2010-08-21 04:42:14 EST

On Aug 20, 7:24 am, "Painius" <starswirlern...@maol.com> wrote:
> "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message...
> On Aug 19, 7:32 pm, "Hagar" <hagen@sahm,name> wrote:
>
> > In about a year the probe will start orbiting this 350 mile across
> > Asteroid
> > Belt monster. Read story below:
>
> > http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/19aug_dawn2/
>
> When will the other one reach Pluto?
>
> P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A
>
> New Horizons was launched on January 19, 2006 directly into
> an Earth-and-solar-escape trajectory. It had an Earth-relative
> velocity of about 16 km/s or 58,500 km/h (36,400 miles/hr).
>
> It flew by Jupiter on February 28, 2007 and by Saturn's orbit on
> June 8, 2008. It will arrive at Pluto on July 14, 2015 and then
> continue on into the Kuiper belt. . . .
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Outersolarsystem_objectpositio...

Today, Vesta, tomorrow, Pluto, next, man on Mars, next, man on nearest
newly discovered
Earth like planet. Not necessarily in that order.

Someone's got to kick NASA into high gear.

P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A

A major and crucial barrier is the deterioration of muscles,
especially the important calf muscles. Even with present
routines of exercise, the lower gravity levels wreak havoc
with astronaut muscles. A solution to this must be found
before long-term space flights by people. Work is planned
to find ways to decrease the wasting away of muscle tissue
using the environment of the ISS. The opinion of today's
astronomers is "hopeful".

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Indelibly yours,
Paine Ellsworth

P.S.: "You never find yourself until you face the truth."
> Pearl Bailey

P.P.S.: http://astronomy.painellsworth.net
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Paine_Ellsworth

"Mark Earnest" <gmearnest@yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Aug 20, 7:24 am, "Painius" <starswirlern...@maol.com> wrote:
> My Dearest Mark,
>
> "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message...

> On Aug 19, 7:32 pm, "Hagar" <hagen@sahm,name> wrote:
>

> > In about a year the probe will start orbiting this 350 mile across
> > Asteroid
> > Belt monster. Read story below:
>
> >http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/19aug_dawn2/
>
> When will the other one reach Pluto?
>
> P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A
>
> New Horizons was launched on January 19, 2006 directly into
> an Earth-and-solar-escape trajectory. It had an Earth-relative
> velocity of about 16 km/s or 58,500 km/h (36,400 miles/hr).
>
> It flew by Jupiter on February 28, 2007 and by Saturn's orbit on
> June 8, 2008. It will arrive at Pluto on July 14, 2015 and then
> continue on into the Kuiper belt. . . .
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Outersolarsystem_objectpositio...
>
> happy days and...
> starry starry nights!
>
> --
> Indelibly yours,
> Paine Ellsworth
>
> P.S.: "If there were no God, then there would
> be no atheists." > G. K. Chesterton
>
> P.P.S.: http://astronomy.painellsworth.net
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Paine_Ellsworth

Today, Vesta, tomorrow, Pluto, next, man on Mars, next, man on nearest
newly discovered
Earth like planet. Not necessarily in that order.

Someone's got to kick NASA into high gear.

Apart from human frailty, there is the problem of speed. With our present
technology we couldn't carry enough fuel to last the 80,000 or so years it
would take to get to even the closest Star, Alpha Centauri, which actually
consists of two regular Stars and a Brown Dwarf and is 4.2 LYs distant.
Even if we could reach 99% SOL, the acceleration and deceleration
phases, controlled to avoid G-forces detrimental to the human body,
would still take a long, long time.

Mark Earnest
2010-08-21 18:33:29 EST
On Aug 21, 3:42 am, "Painius" <starswirlern...@maol.com> wrote:
> My Dearest Mark,
>
> "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message...

> On Aug 20, 7:24 am, "Painius" <starswirlern...@maol.com> wrote:
>

> > "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message...
> > On Aug 19, 7:32 pm, "Hagar" <hagen@sahm,name> wrote:
>
> > > In about a year the probe will start orbiting this 350 mile across
> > > Asteroid
> > > Belt monster. Read story below:
>
> > >  http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/19aug_dawn2/
>
> > When will the other one reach Pluto?
>
> > P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A
>
> > New Horizons was launched on January 19, 2006 directly into
> > an Earth-and-solar-escape trajectory. It had an Earth-relative
> > velocity of about 16 km/s or 58,500 km/h (36,400 miles/hr).
>
> > It flew by Jupiter on February 28, 2007 and by Saturn's orbit on
> > June 8, 2008. It will arrive at Pluto on July 14, 2015 and then
> > continue on into the Kuiper belt. . . .
>
> >http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Outersolarsystem_objectpositio...
>
> Today, Vesta, tomorrow, Pluto, next, man on Mars, next, man on nearest
> newly discovered
> Earth like planet.  Not necessarily in that order.
>
> Someone's got to kick NASA into high gear.
>
>   P I T A   P I T A   P I T A   P I T A   P I T A   P I T A   P I T A
>
> A major and crucial barrier is the deterioration of muscles,
> especially the important calf muscles.  Even with present
> routines of exercise, the lower gravity levels wreak havoc
> with astronaut muscles.  A solution to this must be found
> before long-term space flights by people.  Work is planned
> to find ways to decrease the wasting away of muscle tissue
> using the environment of the ISS.  The opinion of today's
> astronomers is "hopeful".

All you have to do to is travel like the extraterrestrials already
do:
create artificial gravity by contstantly accelerating to just the
right degree
on the way to the star, and then halfway there turn the ship around
and decelerate
to just the the right amount, the rest of the way to the star.

I already explained this to NASA twice, but they are not yet
intelligent enough
to understand.

I'll keep working on them, though.

Maybe you guys could assist just a little?

Mark Earnest
2010-08-21 18:35:50 EST
On Aug 21, 9:14 am, "Hagar" <hagen@sahm,name> wrote:
> "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Aug 20, 7:24 am, "Painius" <starswirlern...@maol.com> wrote:
>

> > My Dearest Mark,
>
> > "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message...

> > On Aug 19, 7:32 pm, "Hagar" <hagen@sahm,name> wrote:
>
> > > In about a year the probe will start orbiting this 350 mile across
> > > Asteroid
> > > Belt monster. Read story below:
>
> > >http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/19aug_dawn2/
>
> > When will the other one reach Pluto?
>
> > P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A
>
> > New Horizons was launched on January 19, 2006 directly into
> > an Earth-and-solar-escape trajectory. It had an Earth-relative
> > velocity of about 16 km/s or 58,500 km/h (36,400 miles/hr).
>
> > It flew by Jupiter on February 28, 2007 and by Saturn's orbit on
> > June 8, 2008. It will arrive at Pluto on July 14, 2015 and then
> > continue on into the Kuiper belt. . . .
>
> >http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Outersolarsystem_objectpositio...
>
> > happy days and...
> > starry starry nights!
>
> > --
> > Indelibly yours,
> > Paine Ellsworth
>
> > P.S.: "If there were no God, then there would
> > be no atheists." > G. K. Chesterton
>
> > P.P.S.:http://astronomy.painellsworth.net
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Paine_Ellsworth
>
> Today, Vesta, tomorrow, Pluto, next, man on Mars, next, man on nearest
> newly discovered
> Earth like planet.  Not necessarily in that order.
>
> Someone's got to kick NASA into high gear.
>
>         ********************************************
> Apart from human frailty, there is the problem of speed.  With our present
> technology we couldn't carry enough fuel to last the 80,000 or so years it
> would take to get to even the closest Star, Alpha Centauri, which actually
> consists of two regular Stars and a Brown Dwarf and is 4.2 LYs distant.
> Even if we could reach 99% SOL, the acceleration and deceleration
> phases, controlled to avoid G-forces detrimental to the human body,
> would still take a long, long time.- Hide quoted text -

Conversely, with modern rocketry technology, we could get to the
nearest
star in just about a month.

You could understand this if you understood the way planets are
constantly
accelering around their particular stars.

But no one does.

On Aug 19, 5:32 pm, "Hagar" <hagen@sahm,name> wrote:
> In about a year the probe will start orbiting this 350 mile across Asteroid
> Belt monster.  Read story below:
>
> http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/19aug_dawn2/

It may also be just a pile of big and small rocks that stay together
because of the weak force of gravity. However, that crater proves
that large items can encounter one another and manage to survive in
spite of their physical trauma, perhaps similar to whatever impacted
our moon and Earth at roughly the same time.

~ BG

On Aug 21, 9:14 am, "Hagar" <hagen@sahm,name> wrote:
> "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Aug 20, 7:24 am, "Painius" <starswirlern...@maol.com> wrote:
>

> > My Dearest Mark,
>
> > "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message...

> > On Aug 19, 7:32 pm, "Hagar" <hagen@sahm,name> wrote:
>
> > > In about a year the probe will start orbiting this 350 mile across
> > > Asteroid
> > > Belt monster. Read story below:
>
> > >http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/19aug_dawn2/
>
> > When will the other one reach Pluto?
>
> > P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A
>
> > New Horizons was launched on January 19, 2006 directly into
> > an Earth-and-solar-escape trajectory. It had an Earth-relative
> > velocity of about 16 km/s or 58,500 km/h (36,400 miles/hr).
>
> > It flew by Jupiter on February 28, 2007 and by Saturn's orbit on
> > June 8, 2008. It will arrive at Pluto on July 14, 2015 and then
> > continue on into the Kuiper belt. . . .
>
> >http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Outersolarsystem_objectpositio...
>
> > happy days and...
> > starry starry nights!
>
> > --
> > Indelibly yours,
> > Paine Ellsworth
>
> > P.S.: "If there were no God, then there would
> > be no atheists." > G. K. Chesterton
>
> > P.P.S.:http://astronomy.painellsworth.net
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Paine_Ellsworth
>
> Today, Vesta, tomorrow, Pluto, next, man on Mars, next, man on nearest
> newly discovered
> Earth like planet. Not necessarily in that order.
>
> Someone's got to kick NASA into high gear.

> Apart from human frailty, there is the problem of speed. With our present
> technology we couldn't carry enough fuel to last the 80,000 or so years it
> would take to get to even the closest Star, Alpha Centauri, which actually
> consists of two regular Stars and a Brown Dwarf and is 4.2 LYs distant.
> Even if we could reach 99% SOL, the acceleration and deceleration
> phases, controlled to avoid G-forces detrimental to the human body,
> would still take a long, long time.- Hide quoted text -

Conversely, with modern rocketry technology, we could get to the
nearest
star in just about a month.

You could understand this if you understood the way planets are
constantly
accelering around their particular stars.

But no one does.

Ok Mark, I'm gonna try and control myself here ... how much fuel do
you think is required to reach the nearest Star system ???

Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next  (First | Last)