Research Discussion: Alien Obsessions

Alien Obsessions

Sekula
2010-06-09 10:42:03 EST
I believe we all need to stop fantasizing about aliens and space travel for
that matter and simply fix up this planet for our children BEFORE its too
late, if it isnt already. When will mankind ever get its shit together? Not
holding my breath waiting either.

--
The only limits to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of
today.

Franklin D Roosevelt

Robert J Harsh
2010-06-10 12:51:11 EST
I think the human race is screwed. At this rate, we will never get a colony
on the moon, let alone deep space travel. The only way we will ever seen
another intelligent lifeform is for them to come to earth and I suspect
they have better things to do with their time.

When I was a kid back in the 80s, I figured I would set foot in the moon in
my lifetime. Now, I highly doubt my kid's grandchildren will.

I also suspect the planet is too far gone to be fixed by us at this point.
Too many factors like religion and capitalism prevent it.

The future is dark.

Sekula wrote:

> I believe we all need to stop fantasizing about aliens and space travel
> for that matter and simply fix up this planet for our children BEFORE its
> too late, if it isnt already. When will mankind ever get its shit
> together? Not holding my breath waiting either.

Jkljzuchowski
2010-06-10 19:02:11 EST

"Robert J Harsh" <robertjharsh@anon.com> schreef in bericht
>I think the human race is screwed. At this rate, we will never get a
>colony
> on the moon, let alone deep space travel.
The problem with the moon and Mars and outer planets travel is radiation
from our own sun, and then i mean radioactive radition.I guess the
moontravels just lasted short enough to be harmfull. Mars is another problem
because the travel takes longer, about a year or more; radiation then is a
real problem to be solved.
The only way we will ever seen
> another intelligent lifeform is for them to come to earth and I suspect
> they have better things to do with their time.
That is not true; i myself was a witness of UFO"s in the 80-ties on my way
to buy smoking stuff in Belgium; the socall ufoseeings in Belgium in that
decade (no doubt you can look that up.

> When I was a kid back in the 80s, I figured I would set foot in the moon
> in
> my lifetime.
When i was a kid in the 60s and 70s it was the time of the moonlandings. We
had to write essays (opstellen in Dutch) of how the world would be in the
year 2000. Many of us wrote that hollidays and schooltrips to the moon would
be common.
Now, I highly doubt my kid's grandchildren will.

> I also suspect the planet is too far gone to be fixed by us at this point.
> Too many factors like religion and capitalism prevent it.
I am working on it but with a dark secret.>
> The future is dark.

The main problem of the future is overpopulation, governments should really
do something about it !!
It sounds harsh but giving medical aid to prolong lives in Africa, Asia and
South America should not be done; it causes future overpopulation problems
if not at present also>
Maybe one should say THANK GOD THERE IS AIDS, but even I think that goes to
far

"Robert J Harsh" <robertjharsh@anon.com> wrote in message
>I think the human race is screwed. At this rate, we will never get a
>colony
> on the moon, let alone deep space travel. The only way we will ever seen
> another intelligent lifeform is for them to come to earth and I suspect
> they have better things to do with their time.
>
> When I was a kid back in the 80s, I figured I would set foot in the moon
> in
> my lifetime. Now, I highly doubt my kid's grandchildren will.

At the rate space exploration was progressing when I was
a kid in the 60's, I certainly figured that by 2010 we would
at least have sent probes to nearby stars and have colonies on
desert Mars and swampy Venus.

This was fueled by my ability to read at extremely fast
speeds and my love of science and sci-fi.

Well, reality put a pin in THAT party balloon.

We didn't know how extensive the damage done by
cosmic rays and low/no gravity was. Now we do.

We also had no clue as to how expensive such journeys
would become.

So what is the future?

As unromantic as it may be, the future is in telepresence
and unmanned missions.

The military sees this as the future. Why not NASA?

The military sees that we can strike an enemy and kill
them without ever putting OUR people in harm's way.

NASA needs to develop the same mindset.

Why are we in space and on other planets in the first
place? So we can plant a flag? I don't think so.....

We are there to discover. Period.

We can discover FAR more and for FAR less money
using robotic equipment.

--
"It is said that there's no such thing as a free lunch.
But the universe is the ultimate free lunch". - A. H. Guth

> "Robert J Harsh" <robertjharsh@anon.com> wrote in message
>>I think the human race is screwed. At this rate, we will never get a
>>colony
>> on the moon, let alone deep space travel. The only way we will ever seen
>> another intelligent lifeform is for them to come to earth and I suspect
>> they have better things to do with their time.
>>
>> When I was a kid back in the 80s, I figured I would set foot in the moon
>> in
>> my lifetime. Now, I highly doubt my kid's grandchildren will.
>
> At the rate space exploration was progressing when I was
> a kid in the 60's, I certainly figured that by 2010 we would
> at least have sent probes to nearby stars and have colonies on
> desert Mars and swampy Venus.
>
> This was fueled by my ability to read at extremely fast
> speeds and my love of science and sci-fi.
>
> Well, reality put a pin in THAT party balloon.
>
> We didn't know how extensive the damage done by
> cosmic rays and low/no gravity was. Now we do.
>
> We also had no clue as to how expensive such journeys
> would become.
>
> So what is the future?
>
> As unromantic as it may be, the future is in telepresence
> and unmanned missions.
>
> The military sees this as the future. Why not NASA?
>
> The military sees that we can strike an enemy and kill
> them without ever putting OUR people in harm's way.
>
> NASA needs to develop the same mindset.
>
> Why are we in space and on other planets in the first
> place? So we can plant a flag? I don't think so.....
>
> We are there to discover. Period.
>
> We can discover FAR more and for FAR less money
> using robotic equipment.
>

> --
> "It is said that there's no such thing as a free lunch.
> But the universe is the ultimate free lunch". - A. H. Guth

To give that statement validity, I hope A.H. is not related to Brad ...

>> --
>> "It is said that there's no such thing as a free lunch.
>> But the universe is the ultimate free lunch". - A. H. Guth
>>

> To give that statement validity, I hope A.H. is not related to Brad ...

Alan, I'm sure, would deny him if that were the case!