Research Discussion: People_With_Asperger’s_Are_Smarter?

People_With_Asperger’s_Are_Smarter?

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next  (First | Last)

BOSTON—Why do we often attribute events in our lives to a higher power
or supernatural force? Some psychologists believe this kind of
thinking, called teleological thinking, is a by-product of social
cognition. As our ancestors evolved, we developed the ability to
understand one anothers’ ideas and intentions. As a result of this
“theory of mind,” some experts figure, we also tend to see intention
or purpose—a conscious mind—behind random or naturally occurring
events. A new study presented here in a poster at the 22nd annual
meeting of the Association for Psychological Science supports this
idea, showing that people who may have an impaired theory of mind are
less likely to think in a teleological way.

Bethany T. Heywood, a graduate student at Queens University Belfast,
asked 27 people with Asperger’s syndrome, a mild type of autism that
involves impaired social cognition, about significant events in their
lives. Working with experimental psychologist Jesse M. Bering (author
of the "Bering in Mind" blog and a frequent contributor to Scientific
American MIND), she asked them to speculate about why these important
events happened—for instance, why they had gone through an illness or
why they met a significant other. As compared with 34 neurotypical
people, those with Asperger’s syndrome were significantly less likely
to invoke a teleological response—for example, saying the event was
meant to unfold in a particular way or explaining that God had a hand
in it. They were more likely to invoke a natural cause (such as
blaming an illness on a virus they thought they were exposed to) or to
give a descriptive response, explaining the event again in a different
way.

In a second experiment, Heywood and Bering compared 27 people with
Asperger’s with 34 neurotypical people who are atheists. The atheists,
as expected, often invoked anti-teleological responses such as “there
is no reason why; things just happen.” The people with Asperger’s were
significantly less likely to offer such anti-teleological explanations
than the atheists, indicating they were not engaged in teleological
thinking at all. (The atheists, in contrast, revealed themselves to be
reasoning teleologically, but then they rejected those thoughts.)

These results support the idea that seeing purpose behind life events
is a result of our mind’s focus on social thinking. People whose
social cognition is impaired—those with Asperger’s, in this case—are
less likely to see the events in their lives as having happened for a
reason. Heywood would like to test the hypothesis further by working
with people who have schizophrenia or schizoid personalities. Some
experts theorize that certain schizophrenia symptoms (for instance,
paranoia) arise in part from a hyperactive sense of social reasoning.
“I’d guess that they’d give lots of teleological answers; more than
neurotypical people, and certainly far more than people with
Asperger’s,” Heywood says.

Bert
2010-06-05 09:20:23 EST
On Jun 5, 8:47 am, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> thinking at all. (The atheists, in contrast, revealed themselves to be
> reasoning teleologically, but then they rejected those thoughts.)
>
> These results support the idea that seeing purpose behind life events
> is a result of our mind’s focus on social thinking. People whose
> social cognition is impaired—those with Asperger’s, in this case—are
> less likely to see the events in their lives as having happened for a
> reason. Heywood would like to test the hypothesis further by working
> with people who have schizophrenia or schizoid personalities. Some
> experts theorize that certain schizophrenia symptoms (for instance,
> paranoia) arise in part from a hyperactive sense of social reasoning.
> “I’d guess that they’d give lots of teleological answers; more than
> neurotypical people, and certainly far more than people with

Treb goes with Boston brains So do I TreBert

U*@t-online.de
2010-06-05 10:53:26 EST
On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 05:47:11 -0700 (PDT), HVAC <mr.hvac@gmail.com> wrote:

>—those with Asperger’s, in this case—are
>less likely to see the events in their lives as having happened for a
>reason.

That's why they are labled "autism spectrum disorders (ASD) or pervasive
developmental disorders (PDD)"... and yes: you fit in.
C.

<*y@t-online.de> wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 05:47:11 -0700 (PDT), HVAC <mr.hvac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>-those with Asperger's, in this case-are
>>less likely to see the events in their lives as having happened for a
>>reason.
>
> That's why they are labled "autism spectrum disorders (ASD) or pervasive
> developmental disorders (PDD)"... and yes: you fit in.

Exactly. We are the people that aren't afflicted
with the 'religion' disease.

As humble as I am, we are just better people.

--
Crop circles are HVAC's way of telling the world
that sometimes, corn needs to lie the fuck down..

<*y@t-online.de> wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 05:47:11 -0700 (PDT), HVAC <mr.hvac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>-those with Asperger's, in this case-are
>>less likely to see the events in their lives as having happened for a
>>reason.
>
> That's why they are labled "autism spectrum disorders (ASD) or pervasive
> developmental disorders (PDD)"... and yes: you fit in.
> C.

Of course you forgot to mention "GDIQR", which stands for Goathumping
Derived Intelligence Quotient Reduction, a disease which commonly afflicts
Yurpn goat humpers with split personalities.
When the Foo Shits, wear it, ChuckWeasel.

Jake
2010-06-05 23:37:50 EST
On Jun 5, 10:22 am, "Hagar" <hagen@sahm,name> wrote:
> <UseNetO...@t-online.de> wrote in message

> > On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 05:47:11 -0700 (PDT), HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>-those with Asperger's, in this case-are
> >>less likely to see the events in their lives as having happened for a
> >>reason.
>
> > That's why they are labled "autism spectrum disorders (ASD) or pervasive
> > developmental disorders (PDD)"... and yes: you fit in.
> > C.
>
> Of course you forgot to mention "GDIQR", which stands for Goathumping
> Derived Intelligence Quotient Reduction, a disease which commonly afflicts
> Yurpn goat humpers with split personalities.
> When the Foo Shits, wear it, ChuckWeasel.

Total and complete knowledge of all types of homosexual tidbits, duly
noted.
Jake.

Vtcapo
2010-06-06 13:10:21 EST
On Jun 5, 10:53 am, UseNetO...@t-online.de wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 05:47:11 -0700 (PDT), HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >—those with Asperger’s, in this case—are
> >less likely to see the events in their lives as having happened for a
> >reason.
>
> That's why they are labled "autism spectrum disorders (ASD) or pervasive
> developmental disorders (PDD)"... and yes: you fit in.
> C.

Thanks for saying that or I would have. HVAC is still trying to
convince himself and others that "THIS REALITY" is all there is.
Pretty lonely out there (H)ead (V)oid of (A)ny (C)onsciousness isn't
it?

RT

Cujo DeSockpuppet
2010-06-06 13:34:31 EST
vtcapo <vtcapo@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Jun 5, 10:53\ufffdam, UseNetO...@t-online.de wrote:
>> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 05:47:11 -0700 (PDT), HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >\ufffdthose with Asperger\ufffds, in this case\ufffdare
>> >less likely to see the events in their lives as having happened for
>> >a reason.
>>
>> That's why they are labled "autism spectrum disorders (ASD) or
>> pervasive developmental disorders (PDD)"... and yes: you fit in.
>> C.
>
> Thanks for saying that or I would have. HVAC is still trying to
> convince himself and others that "THIS REALITY" is all there is.
> Pretty lonely out there (H)ead (V)oid of (A)ny (C)onsciousness isn't
> it?

It's not often ChuckWeasel offers a KookReacharound and it's even less
often that it's accepted and appreciated. You ought to see about ordering
commemorative plaques of something.

"I haven't been refuted, defeated, or even minimalized yet, I have been
called names and attempts have been made to redefine my 50 years of
brilliance because of the envy of my lesser harassers, that's all."
- 47YO Ed "Pantyhead" Wollmann still can't count.

Thanks for saying that or I would have. HVAC is still trying to
convince himself and others that "THIS REALITY" is all there is.
Pretty lonely out there (H)ead (V)oid of (A)ny (C)onsciousness isn't
it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ya, you're right. It's lonely here all alone.

Of course YOU don't have that problem, do you?

Along with god, ghosts and aliens, YOU have all
those voices in your head to keep you company.

LOL! Capo believes in ghosts....BWAHAhahahahaha!

--
Crop circles are HVAC's way of telling the world that
sometimes, corn needs to lie the fuck down\ufffd.

U*@t-online.de
2010-06-06 17:03:57 EST
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 10:10:21 -0700 (PDT), vtcapo <vtcapo@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for saying that or I would have. HVAC is still trying to
>convince himself and others that "THIS REALITY" is all there is.
>Pretty lonely out there (H)ead (V)oid of (A)ny (C)onsciousness isn't
>it?
>
>RT

You are welcome!
C.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next  (First | Last)