Research Discussion: Gravity Waves

Gravity Waves
Posts: 8

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1   (First | Last)

HVAC
2010-05-23 07:26:58 EST
Advancing into the next frontier in astrophysics and cosmology depends
on our ability to detect the presence of a particular type of wave in
space, a primordial gravitational wave. Much like ripples moving
across a pond, these waves stretch the fabric of space itself as they
pass by. If detected, these weak and elusive waves could provide an
unprecedented view of the earliest moments of our universe.
In an article appearing in the May 21 issue of Science, Lawrence
Krauss, ASU theoretical physicist and cosmologist, and researchers
from the University of Chicago and Fermi National Laboratory explore
the most likely detection method of these waves, with the examination
of cosmic microwave radiation (CMB) standing out as the favored
method.

During the past century, astronomy has been revolutionized by the use
of new methods for observing the universe, but still today the origin
of dark energy and dark matter is unknown. The answer to these and
other mysteries may require us to probe back to the earliest moments
of the Big Bang expansion. Questions of origins, such as "How did the
Universe begin?" provoke fascination and are at the forefront of ASU's
Origins Project, which Krauss directs.

"Before a period of 380,000 years after the Big Bang, the universe was
opaque to electromagnetic radiation," said Krauss, a professor in
ASU's School of Earth and Space Exploration and the physics department
in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. "So, to explore earlier
times we need to search for other observables outside of the
electromagnetic spectrum. Gravitational waves interact very weakly
with matter and so gravitational waves produced near the very
beginning of time can make their way unimpeded to us today, providing
a potentially new probe of early universe cosmology."

In 1916, Albert Einstein predicted the existence of gravitational
waves. Based on his theory of general relativity, objects cause the
space around them to curve. When large masses move through space, a
disturbance is generated in the form of gravitational waves, but
because of the weakness of gravity, astronomical amounts of matter
must be moved around to generate waves on a scale that might actually
be detectable.

"Imagine floating in space far away from Earth alongside two mirrors
many miles apart," Krauss said. "If a gravitational wave were
propagating through space, you would see the distance between the two
objects increase and then decrease rhythmically as the wave passes,
perhaps by an almost imperceptible amount. As these waves propagate
throughout the universe they may continue to diminish in strength, but
they would never stop nor slow down since they move through matter
essentially unimpeded."

"Primordial Gravitational Waves and Cosmology" was written by Krauss;
Scott Dodelson, Fermi National Laboratory and University of Chicago;
and Stephan Meyer, University of Chicago. In their Science review,
they have determined there to be two major sources of gravitational
waves: The inflation immediately after the Big Bang, and the possible
phase transitions at early times. Other present-day sources may
include colliding black holes or two huge stars orbiting each other.

Although these space-time ripples are imperceptible to humans, highly
sensitive detectors and experiments such as the Laser Interferometer
Gravitational Wave Observatory (LIGO), located in Livingston, La., are
being designed to look for precisely such waves. Gravitational
radiation from the early universe can be detected indirectly through
its effect on the polarization of the CMB radiation (relic radiation
from the Big Bang which permeates all space). However, the current
generation of direct gravitational wave detectors, LIGO included, does
not have sufficient sensitivity to probe for the signals of possible
primordial gravitational waves.

"The greatest sensitivity to a primordial gravitational wave comes
from the distinctive detailed pattern of polarization in the CMB,"
Krauss said. "If gravitational waves produced by either inflation or
phase transitions existed when cosmic microwave background radiation
was created, they would be imprinted on the CMB and be detected as
polarization."

As challenging as it is to detect, the technology to build
sufficiently sensitive experiments is in hand -- and well worth the
effort, according to Krauss.

"As we enter the second decade of the 21st century, we are poised to
enter a new realm of precision cosmology, one that could provide a
dramatic new window on the early universe and the physical processes
that governed its origin and evolution," Krauss said. "The European
Space Agency's Planck satellite was designed to image the CMB over the
whole sky, with unprecedented sensitivity and angular resolution, and
will provide new data on polarization within the next three to four
years and with that we hope for direct observations of waves from the
beginning of time."

Bert
2010-05-23 07:45:59 EST
On May 23, 7:26 am, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Advancing into the next frontier in astrophysics and cosmology depends
> on our ability to detect the presence of a particular type of wave in
> space, a primordial gravitational wave. Much like ripples moving
> across a pond, these waves stretch the fabric of space itself as they
> pass by. If detected, these weak and elusive waves could provide an
> unprecedented view of the earliest moments of our universe.
> In an article appearing in the May 21 issue of Science, Lawrence
> Krauss, ASU theoretical physicist and cosmologist, and researchers
> from the University of Chicago and Fermi National Laboratory explore
> the most likely detection method of these waves, with the examination
> of cosmic microwave radiation (CMB) standing out as the favored
> method.
>
> During the past century, astronomy has been revolutionized by the use
> of new methods for observing the universe, but still today the origin
> of dark energy and dark matter is unknown. The answer to these and
> other mysteries may require us to probe back to the earliest moments
> of the Big Bang expansion. Questions of origins, such as "How did the
> Universe begin?" provoke fascination and are at the forefront of ASU's
> Origins Project, which Krauss directs.
>
> "Before a period of 380,000 years after the Big Bang, the universe was
> opaque to electromagnetic radiation," said Krauss, a professor in
> ASU's School of Earth and Space Exploration and the physics department
> in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. "So, to explore earlier
> times we need to search for other observables outside of the
> electromagnetic spectrum. Gravitational waves interact very weakly
> with matter and so gravitational waves produced near the very
> beginning of time can make their way unimpeded to us today, providing
> a potentially new probe of early universe cosmology."
>
> In 1916, Albert Einstein predicted the existence of gravitational
> waves. Based on his theory of general relativity, objects cause the
> space around them to curve. When large masses move through space, a
> disturbance is generated in the form of gravitational waves, but
> because of the weakness of gravity, astronomical amounts of matter
> must be moved around to generate waves on a scale that might actually
> be detectable.
>
> "Imagine floating in space far away from Earth alongside two mirrors
> many miles apart," Krauss said. "If a gravitational wave were
> propagating through space, you would see the distance between the two
> objects increase and then decrease rhythmically as the wave passes,
> perhaps by an almost imperceptible amount. As these waves propagate
> throughout the universe they may continue to diminish in strength, but
> they would never stop nor slow down since they move through matter
> essentially unimpeded."
>
> "Primordial Gravitational Waves and Cosmology" was written by Krauss;
> Scott Dodelson, Fermi National Laboratory and University of Chicago;
> and Stephan Meyer, University of Chicago. In their Science review,
> they have determined there to be two major sources of gravitational
> waves: The inflation immediately after the Big Bang, and the possible
> phase transitions at early times. Other present-day sources may
> include colliding black holes or two huge stars orbiting each other.
>
> Although these space-time ripples are imperceptible to humans, highly
> sensitive detectors and experiments such as the Laser Interferometer
> Gravitational Wave Observatory (LIGO), located in Livingston, La., are
> being designed to look for precisely such waves. Gravitational
> radiation from the early universe can be detected indirectly through
> its effect on the polarization of the CMB radiation (relic radiation
> from the Big Bang which permeates all space). However, the current
> generation of direct gravitational wave detectors, LIGO included, does
> not have sufficient sensitivity to probe for the signals of possible
> primordial gravitational waves.
>
> "The greatest sensitivity to a primordial gravitational wave comes
> from the distinctive detailed pattern of polarization in the CMB,"
> Krauss said. "If gravitational waves produced by either inflation or
> phase transitions existed when cosmic microwave background radiation
> was created, they would be imprinted on the CMB and be detected as
> polarization."
>
> As challenging as it is to detect, the technology to build
> sufficiently sensitive experiments is in hand -- and well worth the
> effort, according to Krauss.
>
> "As we enter the second decade of the 21st century, we are poised to
> enter a new realm of precision cosmology, one that could provide a
> dramatic new window on the early universe and the physical processes
> that governed its origin and evolution," Krauss said. "The European
> Space Agency's Planck satellite was designed to image the CMB over the
> whole sky, with unprecedented sensitivity and angular resolution, and
> will provide new data on polarization within the next three to four
> years and with that we hope for direct observations of waves from the
> beginning of time."

The great amount of money and time wasted looking for gravity waves
has just about proven gravity has no waves. I could have saved the
imperial thinkers big bucks,for my concave&convex space curve for
gravity needs no waves. Einstein made me think in the right
direction TreBert

HVAC
2010-05-23 08:09:45 EST

"bert" <herbertglazier79@msn.com> wrote in message
news:880fe65f-0464-45a6-85cc-bd66d11f025b@c7g2000vbc.googlegroups.com...
The great amount of money and time wasted looking for gravity waves
has just about proven gravity has no waves. I could have saved the
imperial thinkers big bucks,for my concave&convex space curve for
gravity needs no waves. Einstein made me think in the right
direction TreBert
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Bert. If you were in the aether cult, you'd be
burned at the stake as a heretic!





--
There's A Storm Coming....



MarkA
2010-05-23 12:15:01 EST
On Sun, 23 May 2010 04:26:58 -0700, HVAC wrote:

> Advancing into the next frontier in astrophysics and cosmology depends
> on our ability to detect the presence of a particular type of wave in
> space, a primordial gravitational wave. Much like ripples moving

I had read somewhere that there were plans to put several satellites in
orbit around the Sun, using lasers to precisely measure the distance
between them, as a way of detecting gravity waves.

Richo
2010-05-24 07:46:00 EST
On May 24, 10:46 pm, Larry <no...@home.com> wrote:
> HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote in news:446b5d4f-8aac-41e8-9929-
> 0cd6eb8a3...@o15g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:
>
> > "Imagine floating in space far away from Earth alongside two mirrors
> > many miles apart," Krauss said. "If a gravitational wave were
>
> Right there is our problem.....
>
> We can no longer afford, and don't have the fuel, to "float in space far
> away from Earth", mirrors or no mirrors.  We barely can get a spacecraft to
> the edge of the atmosphere carrying any load (Shuttle).  Nothing on Earth
> guzzles fuel like a Shuttle!
>
> As our depleted resources vanish, this folly of Star Trek gets farther and
> farther away from reality.  The countries involved are BANKRUPT.  Their
> infrastructure necessary to support the country is crumbling and terribly
> neglected.  We've been invaded by aliens, but none of them came in a space
> ship.
>
> Besides, don't give "them" any more ideas that can generate massive funding
> if the proper amount of political terror can be applied.  Next thing you
> know the American people will be blamed for gravitational waves causing
> global warming, which is just as plausible as CO2 being the cause!  

Venus. Its real.

Mark.


Larry
2010-05-24 08:46:37 EST
HVAC <mr.hvac@gmail.com> wrote in news:446b5d4f-8aac-41e8-9929-
0*e@o15g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

> "Imagine floating in space far away from Earth alongside two mirrors
> many miles apart," Krauss said. "If a gravitational wave were
>

Right there is our problem.....

We can no longer afford, and don't have the fuel, to "float in space far
away from Earth", mirrors or no mirrors. We barely can get a spacecraft to
the edge of the atmosphere carrying any load (Shuttle). Nothing on Earth
guzzles fuel like a Shuttle!

As our depleted resources vanish, this folly of Star Trek gets farther and
farther away from reality. The countries involved are BANKRUPT. Their
infrastructure necessary to support the country is crumbling and terribly
neglected. We've been invaded by aliens, but none of them came in a space
ship.

Besides, don't give "them" any more ideas that can generate massive funding
if the proper amount of political terror can be applied. Next thing you
know the American people will be blamed for gravitational waves causing
global warming, which is just as plausible as CO2 being the cause!
There'll be huge media hype as gravitational waves wash over the horrified
population by 2020, indundating Antarctica and melting the icecaps. Large,
government-funded, completely bogus, scientific communities will spring up
to fight gravitational wave-induced global warming that threatens life on
earth. IPCC will be flooded with non-scientific papers written by goofy
ecologists like Greenpeace and other religions demanding new Gravity Taxes
on the population and a new Gravity Exchange will arise from the ashes of
Carbon Exchanges to fill in the gap and make Al Gore even richer!

Keep it quiet for a few years, will ya, until our economies can recover
from the last government-funded catastrophic delusion.



--
Creationism is to science what storks are to obstetrics.

Larry


Brad Guth
2010-05-24 08:50:20 EST
On May 23, 4:45 am, bert <herbertglazie...@msn.com> wrote:
> On May 23, 7:26 am, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Advancing into the next frontier in astrophysics and cosmology depends
> > on our ability to detect the presence of a particular type of wave in
> > space, a primordial gravitational wave. Much like ripples moving
> > across a pond, these waves stretch the fabric of space itself as they
> > pass by. If detected, these weak and elusive waves could provide an
> > unprecedented view of the earliest moments of our universe.
> > In an article appearing in the May 21 issue of Science, Lawrence
> > Krauss, ASU theoretical physicist and cosmologist, and researchers
> > from the University of Chicago and Fermi National Laboratory explore
> > the most likely detection method of these waves, with the examination
> > of cosmic microwave radiation (CMB) standing out as the favored
> > method.
>
> > During the past century, astronomy has been revolutionized by the use
> > of new methods for observing the universe, but still today the origin
> > of dark energy and dark matter is unknown. The answer to these and
> > other mysteries may require us to probe back to the earliest moments
> > of the Big Bang expansion. Questions of origins, such as "How did the
> > Universe begin?" provoke fascination and are at the forefront of ASU's
> > Origins Project, which Krauss directs.
>
> > "Before a period of 380,000 years after the Big Bang, the universe was
> > opaque to electromagnetic radiation," said Krauss, a professor in
> > ASU's School of Earth and Space Exploration and the physics department
> > in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. "So, to explore earlier
> > times we need to search for other observables outside of the
> > electromagnetic spectrum. Gravitational waves interact very weakly
> > with matter and so gravitational waves produced near the very
> > beginning of time can make their way unimpeded to us today, providing
> > a potentially new probe of early universe cosmology."
>
> > In 1916, Albert Einstein predicted the existence of gravitational
> > waves. Based on his theory of general relativity, objects cause the
> > space around them to curve. When large masses move through space, a
> > disturbance is generated in the form of gravitational waves, but
> > because of the weakness of gravity, astronomical amounts of matter
> > must be moved around to generate waves on a scale that might actually
> > be detectable.
>
> > "Imagine floating in space far away from Earth alongside two mirrors
> > many miles apart," Krauss said. "If a gravitational wave were
> > propagating through space, you would see the distance between the two
> > objects increase and then decrease rhythmically as the wave passes,
> > perhaps by an almost imperceptible amount. As these waves propagate
> > throughout the universe they may continue to diminish in strength, but
> > they would never stop nor slow down since they move through matter
> > essentially unimpeded."
>
> > "Primordial Gravitational Waves and Cosmology" was written by Krauss;
> > Scott Dodelson, Fermi National Laboratory and University of Chicago;
> > and Stephan Meyer, University of Chicago. In their Science review,
> > they have determined there to be two major sources of gravitational
> > waves: The inflation immediately after the Big Bang, and the possible
> > phase transitions at early times. Other present-day sources may
> > include colliding black holes or two huge stars orbiting each other.
>
> > Although these space-time ripples are imperceptible to humans, highly
> > sensitive detectors and experiments such as the Laser Interferometer
> > Gravitational Wave Observatory (LIGO), located in Livingston, La., are
> > being designed to look for precisely such waves. Gravitational
> > radiation from the early universe can be detected indirectly through
> > its effect on the polarization of the CMB radiation (relic radiation
> > from the Big Bang which permeates all space). However, the current
> > generation of direct gravitational wave detectors, LIGO included, does
> > not have sufficient sensitivity to probe for the signals of possible
> > primordial gravitational waves.
>
> > "The greatest sensitivity to a primordial gravitational wave comes
> > from the distinctive detailed pattern of polarization in the CMB,"
> > Krauss said. "If gravitational waves produced by either inflation or
> > phase transitions existed when cosmic microwave background radiation
> > was created, they would be imprinted on the CMB and be detected as
> > polarization."
>
> > As challenging as it is to detect, the technology to build
> > sufficiently sensitive experiments is in hand -- and well worth the
> > effort, according to Krauss.
>
> > "As we enter the second decade of the 21st century, we are poised to
> > enter a new realm of precision cosmology, one that could provide a
> > dramatic new window on the early universe and the physical processes
> > that governed its origin and evolution," Krauss said. "The European
> > Space Agency's Planck satellite was designed to image the CMB over the
> > whole sky, with unprecedented sensitivity and angular resolution, and
> > will provide new data on polarization within the next three to four
> > years and with that we hope for direct observations of waves from the
> > beginning of time."
>
> The great amount of money and time wasted looking for gravity waves
> has just about proven gravity has no waves. I could have saved the
> imperial thinkers big bucks,for my concave&convex space curve for
> gravity needs no waves. Einstein made me think in the right
> direction   TreBert

Correct, whereas a near zero Hz gravity wave had to exist before any
photons that had to exist before there was molecular anything.

~ BG

Brad Guth
2010-05-24 09:00:40 EST
On May 24, 5:46 am, Larry <no...@home.com> wrote:
> HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote in news:446b5d4f-8aac-41e8-9929-
> 0cd6eb8a3...@o15g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:
>
> > "Imagine floating in space far away from Earth alongside two mirrors
> > many miles apart," Krauss said. "If a gravitational wave were
>
> Right there is our problem.....
>
> We can no longer afford, and don't have the fuel, to "float in space far
> away from Earth", mirrors or no mirrors.  We barely can get a spacecraft to
> the edge of the atmosphere carrying any load (Shuttle).  Nothing on Earth
> guzzles fuel like a Shuttle!
>
> As our depleted resources vanish, this folly of Star Trek gets farther and
> farther away from reality.  The countries involved are BANKRUPT.  Their
> infrastructure necessary to support the country is crumbling and terribly
> neglected.  We've been invaded by aliens, but none of them came in a space
> ship.
>
> Besides, don't give "them" any more ideas that can generate massive funding
> if the proper amount of political terror can be applied.  Next thing you
> know the American people will be blamed for gravitational waves causing
> global warming, which is just as plausible as CO2 being the cause!  
> There'll be huge media hype as gravitational waves wash over the horrified
> population by 2020, indundating Antarctica and melting the icecaps.  Large,
> government-funded, completely bogus, scientific communities will spring up
> to fight gravitational wave-induced global warming that threatens life on
> earth.  IPCC will be flooded with non-scientific papers written by goofy
> ecologists like Greenpeace and other religions demanding new Gravity Taxes
> on the population and a new Gravity Exchange will arise from the ashes of
> Carbon Exchanges to fill in the gap and make Al Gore even richer!
>
> Keep it quiet for a few years, will ya, until our economies can recover
> from the last government-funded catastrophic delusion.
>
> --
> Creationism is to science what storks are to obstetrics.
>
> Larry

The gravity forces between stars is impressive, and it's the only
thing out there worth utilizing, other than dipole extracted energy.

Perhaps our moon is full of thorium and other valuable elements, just
like the planet Venus has raw elements and unlimited local energy that
we're not allowed to use.

Brad Guth / Blog and my Google document pages:
http://bradguth.blogspot.com/
http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddsdxhv_0hrm5bdfj
Page: 1   (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron