Research Discussion: How Does Twonky Deal With Death?

How Does Twonky Deal With Death?
Posts: 6

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1   (First | Last)

HVAC
2010-04-28 14:57:38 EST
Two studies in the April 27th issue of Current Biology, a Cell Press
publication, offer rare glimpses into the ways that chimpanzees deal with
the deaths of those closest to them. In one case, researchers describe the
final hours and moment of death of an older female chimp named Twonky living
in a small group at a UK safari park as captured on video. In the other,
researchers observed as two chimpanzee mothers in the wild carried their
infants' mummified remains for a period of weeks after they were lost to a
respiratory epidemic.

"Several phenomena have at one time or another been considered as setting
humans apart from other species: reasoning ability, language ability, tool
use, cultural variation, and self-awareness, for example, but science has
provided strong evidence that the boundaries between us and other species
are nowhere near to being as clearly defined as many people used to think,"
said James Anderson of the University of Stirling in reference to his
observations of the safari park chimps.
"The awareness of death is another such psychological phenomenon. The
findings we've described, along with other observations of how chimpanzees
respond to dead and dying companions, indicate that their awareness of death
is probably more highly developed than is often suggested. It may be related
to their sense of self-awareness, shown through phenomena such as
self-recognition and empathy towards others."
Few have witnessed chimps' response at the moment a member of their group
dies, Anderson said. Mother chimps have been known to carry their dead
infants, he said, and some observers have seen the commotion that follows
when an adult chimp is lost to some sort of sudden trauma.
"In contrast to the frenzied, noisy responses to traumatic adult deaths, the
chimpanzees witnessing the female's death in our case were mostly calm,"
Anderson said.
In the days leading up to the chimp's death, the group was very quiet and
paid close attention to her, the researchers report. Immediately before she
died, she received much grooming and caressing from the others, who appeared
to test her for signs of life as she died. They left her soon after, but her
adult daughter returned and remained by her mother all night. When keepers
removed the mother's body the next day, the chimpanzees remained calm and
subdued. For several days they avoided sleeping on the platform where the
female had died, even though it was normally a favored sleeping spot, and
remained subdued for some time after the death.
"In general, we found several similarities between the chimpanzees' behavior
toward the dying female, and their behavior after her death, and some
reactions of humans when faced with the demise of an elderly group member or
relative, even though chimpanzees do not have religious beliefs or rituals
surrounding death," Anderson said. Whatever the reasons for the chimps'
actions, he added, they suggest that chimpanzees have a highly developed
awareness of death.
In the second study, Dora Biro of the University of Oxford and her
colleagues witnessed the deaths of five members (including two infants) of a
semi-isolated chimpanzee community that researchers have been studying for
over three decades in the forests surrounding Bossou, Guinea.
"We observed the deaths of two young infants -- both from a flu-like
respiratory ailment," Biro said. "In each case, our observations showed a
remarkable response by chimpanzee mothers to the death of their infants:
they continued to carry the corpses for weeks, even months, following
death."
In that time, the corpses mummified completely, and the mothers exhibited
care of the bodies reminiscent of their treatment of live infants: they
carried them everywhere during their daily activities, groomed them, and
took them into their day and night nests during periods of rest. Over this
extended period, they also began to "let go" of the infants gradually, Biro
said. They allowed other individuals within the group to handle them more
and more frequently and tolerated longer periods of separation from them,
including instances where other infants and juveniles were allowed to carry
off and play with the corpses.
Other group members showed some interest in the bodies, but almost without
exception, the other chimps showed no aversion toward the corpses. Biro
noted that a member of her team made very similar observations following the
death of one chimpanzee infant in Bossou back in 1992.
"Chimpanzees are humans' closest evolutionary relatives, and they have
already been shown to resemble us in many of their cognitive functions: they
empathize with others, have a sense of fairness, and can cooperate to
achieve goals," Biro said. "How they perceive death is a fascinating
question, and little data exist so far concerning chimpanzees' responses to
the passing of familiar or related individuals either in captivity or in the
wild. Our observations confirm the existence of an extremely powerful bond
between mothers and their offspring which can persist, remarkably, even
after the death of the infant, and they further call for efforts to
elucidate the extent to which chimpanzees understand and are affected by the
death of a close relative or group-mate. This would both have implications
for our understanding of the evolutionary origins of human perceptions of
death and provide insights into the way chimpanzees interpret the world
around them."



The Gospel Truth
2010-04-28 23:16:24 EST
On Apr 28, 2:57 pm, "HVAC" <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Two studies in the April 27th issue of Current Biology, a Cell Press
> publication, offer rare glimpses into the ways that chimpanzees deal with
> the deaths of those closest to them. In one case, researchers describe the
> final hours and moment of death of an older female chimp named Twonky living
> in a small group at a UK safari park as captured on video. In the other,
> researchers observed as two chimpanzee mothers in the wild carried their
> infants' mummified remains for a period of weeks after they were lost to a
> respiratory epidemic.
>
> "Several phenomena have at one time or another been considered as setting
> humans apart from other species: reasoning ability, language ability, tool
> use, cultural variation, and self-awareness, for example, but science has
> provided strong evidence that the boundaries between us and other species
> are nowhere near to being as clearly defined as many people used to think,"
> said James Anderson of the University of Stirling in reference to his
> observations of the safari park chimps.
> "The awareness of death is another such psychological phenomenon. The
> findings we've described, along with other observations of how chimpanzees
> respond to dead and dying companions, indicate that their awareness of death
> is probably more highly developed than is often suggested. It may be related
> to their sense of self-awareness, shown through phenomena such as
> self-recognition and empathy towards others."
> Few have witnessed chimps' response at the moment a member of their group
> dies, Anderson said. Mother chimps have been known to carry their dead
> infants, he said, and some observers have seen the commotion that follows
> when an adult chimp is lost to some sort of sudden trauma.
> "In contrast to the frenzied, noisy responses to traumatic adult deaths, the
> chimpanzees witnessing the female's death in our case were mostly calm,"
> Anderson said.
> In the days leading up to the chimp's death, the group was very quiet and
> paid close attention to her, the researchers report. Immediately before she
> died, she received much grooming and caressing from the others, who appeared
> to test her for signs of life as she died. They left her soon after, but her
> adult daughter returned and remained by her mother all night. When keepers
> removed the mother's body the next day, the chimpanzees remained calm and
> subdued. For several days they avoided sleeping on the platform where the
> female had died, even though it was normally a favored sleeping spot, and
> remained subdued for some time after the death.
> "In general, we found several similarities between the chimpanzees' behavior
> toward the dying female, and their behavior after her death, and some
> reactions of humans when faced with the demise of an elderly group member or
> relative, even though chimpanzees do not have religious beliefs or rituals
> surrounding death," Anderson said. Whatever the reasons for the chimps'
> actions, he added, they suggest that chimpanzees have a highly developed
> awareness of death.
> In the second study, Dora Biro of the University of Oxford and her
> colleagues witnessed the deaths of five members (including two infants) of a
> semi-isolated chimpanzee community that researchers have been studying for
> over three decades in the forests surrounding Bossou, Guinea.
> "We observed the deaths of two young infants -- both from a flu-like
> respiratory ailment," Biro said. "In each case, our observations showed a
> remarkable response by chimpanzee mothers to the death of their infants:
> they continued to carry the corpses for weeks, even months, following
> death."
> In that time, the corpses mummified completely, and the mothers exhibited
> care of the bodies reminiscent of their treatment of live infants: they
> carried them everywhere during their daily activities, groomed them, and
> took them into their day and night nests during periods of rest. Over this
> extended period, they also began to "let go" of the infants gradually, Biro
> said. They allowed other individuals within the group to handle them more
> and more frequently and tolerated longer periods of separation from them,
> including instances where other infants and juveniles were allowed to carry
> off and play with the corpses.
> Other group members showed some interest in the bodies, but almost without
> exception, the other chimps showed no aversion toward the corpses. Biro
> noted that a member of her team made very similar observations following the
> death of one chimpanzee infant in Bossou back in 1992.
> "Chimpanzees are humans' closest evolutionary relatives, and they have
> already been shown to resemble us in many of their cognitive functions: they
> empathize with others, have a sense of fairness, and can cooperate to
> achieve goals," Biro said. "How they perceive death is a fascinating
> question, and little data exist so far concerning chimpanzees' responses to
> the passing of familiar or related individuals either in captivity or in the
> wild. Our observations confirm the existence of an extremely powerful bond
> between mothers and their offspring which can persist, remarkably, even
> after the death of the infant, and they further call for efforts to
> elucidate the extent to which chimpanzees understand and are affected by the
> death of a close relative or group-mate. This would both have implications
> for our understanding of the evolutionary origins of human perceptions of
> death and provide insights into the way chimpanzees interpret the world
> around them."

Are you saying you evolved from a chimp? We are 99% their genome..
We have that, from we being the Neanderthal....

We still have all of our Neanderthal genes of swill.....
And, an 'intelligence' and a 'longevity' gene, from Cain....

Neanderthals acted the same way as Chimps. But were a bit smarter.
They
cared for the elderly. Made crude, tree branch crutches, for walking.
Buried
their dead with flower peddles.

Archeologists found a Neanderthal female and a Cro-Magnon male,
buried together....head to head..

>
Hybrid Archangel....

Telling you things the Christ couldn't speak of, to the
ancients.......
But seeing as you're smart enough to understand genetics, and abscence
of mtDNA....

E.g.....
"Cain knew his Neanderthal wife"

The Almighty does work, in (not so) mysterious ways.....

P,s.....

Until hoaxers, in a live broadcast, get there stinking, plank
yanking,
stomping feet into a field of mature OSR. In a field, without Team
Satan's foot path. Without 'trick photography', a real, four hour,
daylight
demo. Until then, they lie....

"We get those plants in the bud!" Bellowed MidNyte, AKA Jim
Schnabel.....

Ya! Shua! And those markings show up as a disheveled, lifting mess....
And no 90% bends, with tiny 'blow holes' at the node....

So blow me, you evolved freaks of crop dumb.......


*_//!!_//!!*
2010-04-29 05:06:28 EST
"The Gospel Truth" <01910infinity@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:
48af96f0-099b-49ce-8c27-34deb6eb4a8a@e28g2000vbd.googlegroups.com...
>"Cain knew his Neanderthal wife"

No.

You have The Gospel Truth
in a Twist, Twonky.

Here's *The Gospel Truth*:

"Cain knew his wife" because
she wasn't a stranger to him.

*Hallelujah*

*Amen*


*_//!!_//!!*
2010-04-29 05:30:26 EST
On 29 Apr, 10:06, "*_//!!_//!!*" <harp...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> "The Gospel Truth" <01910infin...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:
> 48af96f0-099b-49ce-8c27-34deb6eb4...@e28g2000vbd.googlegroups.com...
>
> >"Cain knew his Neanderthal wife"
>
> No.
>
> You have The Gospel Truth
> in a Twist, Twonky.
>
> Here's *The Gospel Truth*:
>
> "Cain knew his wife" because
> she wasn't a stranger to him.
>
> "Let us create man[kind] in our
> image" Man[kind] as in plural.
>
> When the Angels informed Noah
> to take more than one pair into
> the Ark with him, the reason was
> to perpetuate the species, so too
> when the new specie man[kind]
> was engineered, more than 1 pair
> was needed to perpetuate the new
> specie called man[kind].
>
> *Hallelujah*
>
> *Amen*


The Gospel Truth
2010-04-30 20:17:00 EST
On Apr 29, 5:06 am, "*_//!!_//!!*" <harp...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> "The Gospel Truth" <01910infin...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:
> 48af96f0-099b-49ce-8c27-34deb6eb4...@e28g2000vbd.googlegroups.com...
>
> >"Cain knew his Neanderthal wife"
>
> No.
>
> You have The Gospel Truth
> in a Twist, Twonky.
>
> Here's *The Gospel Truth*:
>
> "Cain knew his wife" because
> she wasn't a stranger to him.

She was one of the "people in the wilderness"....
>
> *Hallelujah*
>
> *Amen*


The Gospel Truth
2010-04-30 20:23:32 EST
On Apr 29, 5:30 am, "*_//!!_//!!*" <harp...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 29 Apr, 10:06, "*_//!!_//!!*" <harp...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > "The Gospel Truth" <01910infin...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:
> > 48af96f0-099b-49ce-8c27-34deb6eb4...@e28g2000vbd.googlegroups.com...
>
> > >"Cain knew his Neanderthal wife"
>
> > No.
>
> > You have The Gospel Truth
> > in a Twist, Twonky.
>
> > Here's *The Gospel Truth*:
>
> > "Cain knew his wife" because
> > she wasn't a stranger to him.
>
> > "Let us create man[kind] in our
> >  image" Man[kind] as in plural.

"In our image and likeness!"
Physicality and intelligence.....
>
> > When the Angels informed Noah
> > to take more than one pair into
> > the Ark with him, the reason was
> > to perpetuate the species, so too
> > when the new specie man[kind]
> > was engineered, more than 1 pair
> > was needed to perpetuate the new
> > specie called man[kind].

Noah's 3 sons had 3 different cultural wives...
>
> > *Hallelujah*
>
> > *Amen*- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Page: 1   (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron