Research Discussion: Shhhhhhhhhh

Shhhhhhhhhh

THE aliens are out there and Earth had better watch out, at least
according to Stephen Hawking. He has suggested that extraterrestrials
are almost certain to exist — but that instead of seeking them out,
humanity should be doing all it that can to avoid any contact.

The suggestions come in a new documentary series in which Hawking, one
of the world’s leading scientists, will set out his latest thinking on
some of the universe’s greatest mysteries.

Alien life, he will suggest, is almost certain to exist in many other
parts of the universe: not just in planets, but perhaps in the centre
of stars or even floating in interplanetary space.

Hawking’s logic on aliens is, for him, unusually simple. The universe,
he points out, has 100 billion galaxies, each containing hundreds of
millions of stars. In such a big place, Earth is unlikely to be the
only planet where life has evolved.

“To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about
aliens perfectly rational,” he said. “The real challenge is to work
out what aliens might actually be like.”

The answer, he suggests, is that most of it will be the equivalent of
microbes or simple animals — the sort of life that has dominated Earth
for most of its history.

One scene in his documentary for the Discovery Channel shows herds of
two-legged herbivores browsing on an alien cliff-face where they are
picked off by flying, yellow lizard-like predators. Another shows
glowing fluorescent aquatic animals forming vast shoals in the oceans
thought to underlie the thick ice coating Europa, one of the moons of
Jupiter.

Such scenes are speculative, but Hawking uses them to lead on to a
serious point: that a few life forms could be intelligent and pose a
threat. Hawking believes that contact with such a species could be
devastating for humanity.

He suggests that aliens might simply raid Earth for its resources and
then move on: “We only have to look at ourselves to see how
intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to
meet. I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all
the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would
perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever
planets they can reach.”

He concludes that trying to make contact with alien races is “a little
too risky”. He said: “If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome
would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America,
which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans.”

The completion of the documentary marks a triumph for Hawking, now 68,
who is paralysed by motor neurone disease and has very limited powers
of communication. The project took him and his producers three years,
during which he insisted on rewriting large chunks of the script and
checking the filming.

John Smithson, executive producer for Discovery, said: “He wanted to
make a programme that was entertaining for a general audience as well
as scientific and that’s a tough job, given the complexity of the
ideas involved.”

Hawking has suggested the possibility of alien life before but his
views have been clarified by a series of scientific breakthroughs,
such as the discovery, since 1995, of more than 450 planets orbiting
distant stars, showing that planets are a common phenomenon.

So far, all the new planets found have been far larger than Earth, but
only because the telescopes used to detect them are not sensitive
enough to detect Earth-sized bodies at such distances.

Another breakthrough is the discovery that life on Earth has proven
able to colonise its most extreme environments. If life can survive
and evolve there, scientists reason, then perhaps nowhere is out of
bounds.

Hawking’s belief in aliens places him in good scientific company. In
his recent Wonders of the Solar System BBC series, Professor Brian Cox
backed the idea, too, suggesting Mars, Europa and Titan, a moon of
Saturn, as likely places to look.

Similarly, Lord Rees, the astronomer royal, warned in a lecture
earlier this year that aliens might prove to be beyond human
understanding.

“I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we
can’t conceive,” he said. “Just as a chimpanzee can’t understand
quantum theory, it could be there are aspects of reality that are
beyond the capacity of our brains.”

On Apr 26, 5:14 am, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Another breakthrough is the discovery that life on Earth has proven
> able to colonise its most extreme environments. If life can survive
> and evolve there, scientists reason, then perhaps nowhere is out of
> bounds.
>
> Hawking’s belief in aliens places him in good scientific company. In
> his recent Wonders of the Solar System BBC series, Professor Brian Cox
> backed the idea, too, suggesting Mars, Europa and Titan, a moon of
> Saturn, as likely places to look.
>
> Similarly, Lord Rees, the astronomer royal, warned in a lecture
> earlier this year that aliens might prove to be beyond human
> understanding.
>
> “I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we
> can’t conceive,” he said. “Just as a chimpanzee can’t understand
> quantum theory, it could be there are aspects of reality that are

No two planets or moons are alike, although there seems to be any
number of similar or better suited suns. Go figure how unlikely it
must be for ETs not to exist, especially if they're only half as
redneck smart and otherwise as dysfunctional as HVAC.

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents
and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents
eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with
it." / Max Planck

NASA Magellan:
http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/magellan/
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/imgcat/html/mission_page/VN_Magellan_page1.html
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/magellan.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magellan_probe

Brad Guth / Blog and Google document pages:
http://bradguth.blogspot.com/
http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddsdxhv_0hrm5bdfj

Bert
2010-04-26 08:40:18 EST
On Apr 26, 8:14 am, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Another breakthrough is the discovery that life on Earth has proven
> able to colonise its most extreme environments. If life can survive
> and evolve there, scientists reason, then perhaps nowhere is out of
> bounds.
>
> Hawking’s belief in aliens places him in good scientific company. In
> his recent Wonders of the Solar System BBC series, Professor Brian Cox
> backed the idea, too, suggesting Mars, Europa and Titan, a moon of
> Saturn, as likely places to look.
>
> Similarly, Lord Rees, the astronomer royal, warned in a lecture
> earlier this year that aliens might prove to be beyond human
> understanding.
>
> “I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we
> can’t conceive,” he said. “Just as a chimpanzee can’t understand
> quantum theory, it could be there are aspects of reality that are

Hawkings never a great out of the box thinker(no Nobels for him) would
come up with this shit. He is a great math teacher person. His name to
fame is his Breif History of Time. I think BG wrote this for him
Hmmm TreBert.

Mr. 2 Cents
2010-04-26 09:00:49 EST
On 4/26/2010 5:14 AM, HVAC wrote:
> Similarly, Lord Rees, the astronomer royal, warned in a lecture
> earlier this year that aliens might prove to be beyond human
> understanding.
>
> “I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we
> can’t conceive,” he said. “Just as a chimpanzee can’t understand
> quantum theory, it could be there are aspects of reality that are
> beyond the capacity of our brains.”

The statement by Lord Rees is ridiculous and the same kind of fear
mongering used by theists. I find it reprehensible a respected scientist
would resort to such hyperbole.

--

Mr. 2 Cents

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong
enough to take everything you have".
-Gerald Ford

"Mr. 2 Cents" <nadda@nadda.com> wrote in message
On 4/26/2010 5:14 AM, HVAC wrote:
> Similarly, Lord Rees, the astronomer royal, warned in a lecture
> earlier this year that aliens might prove to be beyond human
> understanding.
>
> \ufffdI suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we
> can\ufffdt conceive,\ufffd he said. \ufffdJust as a chimpanzee can\ufffdt understand
> quantum theory, it could be there are aspects of reality that are
> beyond the capacity of our brains.\ufffd

The statement by Lord Rees is ridiculous and the same kind of fear
mongering used by theists. I find it reprehensible a respected scientist
would resort to such hyperbole.

I agree. The odds on another intelligent civilization in
our galaxy are pretty close to zero.

--
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains,
however improbable, must be the truth." -Holmes

Bast
2010-04-26 10:28:08 EST

HVAC wrote:
> THE aliens are out there and Earth had better watch out, at least
> according to Stephen Hawking. He has suggested that extraterrestrials
> are almost certain to exist \ufffd but that instead of seeking them out,
> humanity should be doing all it that can to avoid any contact.
<SNIP>

Who wants to bet he came up with this revelation after watching "Alien
Zombie Blood Suckers From Mars" on the late show.
Or any Ed Wood production. e.g. Plan Nine from outer space, that taught us
that all aliens are bad.

The Greatest
2010-04-26 10:38:55 EST

"Bast" <fakename@nomail.invalid> wrote in message news:hr480g$504$1@news.eternal-september.org...

> HVAC wrote:
> > THE aliens are out there and Earth had better watch out, at least
> > according to Stephen Hawking. He has suggested that extraterrestrials
> > are almost certain to exist - but that instead of seeking them out,
> > humanity should be doing all it that can to avoid any contact.
> <SNIP>
>

> Who wants to bet he came up with this revelation after watching "Alien
> Zombie Blood Suckers From Mars" on the late show.
> Or any Ed Wood production. e.g. Plan Nine from outer space, that taught us
> that all aliens are bad.

And once they cross the boarder....they can take your job !!
--
HJ

Mr. 2 Cents
2010-04-26 10:40:36 EST
On 4/26/2010 7:24 AM, HVAC wrote:
> "Mr. 2 Cents"<nadda@nadda.com> wrote in message
> On 4/26/2010 5:14 AM, HVAC wrote:
>> Similarly, Lord Rees, the astronomer royal, warned in a lecture
>> earlier this year that aliens might prove to be beyond human
>> understanding.
>>
>> “I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we
>> can’t conceive,” he said. “Just as a chimpanzee can’t understand
>> quantum theory, it could be there are aspects of reality that are
>> beyond the capacity of our brains.”
>
> The statement by Lord Rees is ridiculous and the same kind of fear
> mongering used by theists. I find it reprehensible a respected scientist
> would resort to such hyperbole.
>
> I agree. The odds on another intelligent civilization in
> our galaxy are pretty close to zero.

You might get your Abacus and reading skills tuned.

--

Mr. 2 Cents

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong
enough to take everything you have".
-Gerald Ford

John
2010-04-26 11:33:07 EST
On Apr 26, 8:38 am, "The Greatest" <honestj...@centurytel.net> wrote:
> > that all aliens are bad.

And once they cross the boarder....they can take your job !!
> --
> HJ

Don't cross the boarder when he's reaching for seconds.
He might stab you with his fork.
john

Jake
2010-04-26 12:20:39 EST
On Apr 26, 7:14 am, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Another breakthrough is the discovery that life on Earth has proven
> able to colonise its most extreme environments. If life can survive
> and evolve there, scientists reason, then perhaps nowhere is out of
> bounds.
>
> Hawking’s belief in aliens places him in good scientific company. In
> his recent Wonders of the Solar System BBC series, Professor Brian Cox
> backed the idea, too, suggesting Mars, Europa and Titan, a moon of
> Saturn, as likely places to look.
>
> Similarly, Lord Rees, the astronomer royal, warned in a lecture
> earlier this year that aliens might prove to be beyond human
> understanding.
>
> “I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we
> can’t conceive,” he said. “Just as a chimpanzee can’t understand
> quantum theory, it could be there are aspects of reality that are

Hawking looks like he should be brain dead like the rest of him. But
I guess not, huh? Kind of reminds me of what Hagar and his twin
sister Chlamydia must look like.
Jake.