Research Discussion: Incoming!

Incoming!

Some 13,000 years ago the Earth was struck by thousands of Tunguska-
sized cometary fragments over the course of an hour, leading to a
dramatic cooling of the planet, according to astronomer Professor Bill
Napier of the Cardiff University Astrobiology Centre.

He presents his new model in the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal
Astronomical Society.

The cooling, by as much as 8°C, interrupted the warming which was
occurring at the end of the last ice age and caused glaciers to
readvance. Evidence has been found that this catastrophic change was
associated with some extraordinary extraterrestrial event. The
boundary is marked by the occurrence of a "black mat" layer a few
centimetres thick found at many sites throughout the United States
containing high levels of soot indicative of continental-scale
wildfires, as well as microscopic hexagonal diamonds (nanodiamonds)
which are produced by shocks and are only found in meteorites or
impact craters. These findings led to the suggestion that the
catastrophic changes of that time were caused by the impact of an
asteroid or comet 4 km across on the Laurentide ice sheet, which at
that time covered what would become Canada and the northern part of
the United States.

The cooling lasted over a thousand years, and its onset coincides with
the rapid extinction of 35 genera of North American mammals, as well
as the disruption of the Palaeoindian culture. The chief objection to
the idea of a big impact is that the odds against the Earth being
struck by an asteroid this large only 13,000 years ago are a thousand
to one against. And the heat generated by the rising fireball would be
limited by the curvature of the horizon and could not explain the
continent-wide occurrence of wildfires.

Professor Napier has now come up with an astronomical model which
accounts for the major features of the catastrophe without involving
such an improbable event. According to his model, the Earth ran into a
dense trail of material from a large disintegrating comet. He points
out that there is compelling evidence that such a comet entered the
inner planetary system between 20 000 and 30 000 years ago and has
been fragmenting ever since, giving rise to a number of closely
related meteor streams and comoving asteroids known as the Taurid
Complex.

In the course of the giant comet's disintegration, the environment of
the interplanetary system would have been hazardous and the Earth
would probably have run through at least one dense swarm of cometary
material. The new model indicates that such an encounter would last
for about an hour during which thousands of impacts would take place
over continental dimensions, each releasing the energy of a megaton-
class nuclear bomb, generating the extensive wildfires which took
place at that time. The nanodiamonds at the extinction boundary would
then be explained as having come in with the comet swarm.

One recent meteorite is known which may have come from this giant
comet progenitor: the Tagish Lake meteorite, which fell over Yukon
Territory in January 2000. It has the highest abundance of
nanodiamonds of any meteorite so far analysed.

Professor Napier sums up his model: "A large comet has been
disintegrating in the near-Earth environment for the past 20,000 to
30,000 years, and running into thousands of fragments from this comet
is a much more likely event than a single large collision. It gives a
convincing match to the major geophysical features at this boundary."

Some 13,000 years ago the Earth was struck by thousands of Tunguska-
sized cometary fragments over the course of an hour, leading to a
dramatic cooling of the planet, according to astronomer Professor Bill
Napier of the Cardiff University Astrobiology Centre.

He presents his new model in the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal
Astronomical Society.

The cooling, by as much as 8\ufffdC, interrupted the warming which was
[...]

************************************
What size asteroid do you think we need to just make the Democrats
go extinct ??

After all, they're about as useful as seagulls ... eat, shit and squawk

> The cooling lasted over a thousand years, and its onset coincides with
> the rapid extinction of 35 genera of North American mammals, as well
> as the disruption of the Palaeoindian culture.
>
> ************************************
> What size asteroid do you think we need to just make the Democrats
> go extinct ??

After the next election, they will ALL be
on the endangered species list.

Syd M.
2010-04-02 11:48:39 EST
On Apr 2, 11:44 am, "HVAC" <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Hagar" <ha...@sahm.name> wrote in message

> > The cooling lasted over a thousand years, and its onset coincides with
> > the rapid extinction of 35 genera of North American mammals, as well
> > as the disruption of the Palaeoindian culture.
>
> >        ************************************
> > What size asteroid do you think we need to just make the Democrats
> > go extinct ??
>
> After the next election, they will ALL be
> on the endangered species list.

In your dreams, rethuglian.

PDW

"Syd M." <pdwright42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Apr 2, 11:44 am, "HVAC" <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Hagar" <ha...@sahm.name> wrote in message

> > The cooling lasted over a thousand years, and its onset coincides with
> > the rapid extinction of 35 genera of North American mammals, as well
> > as the disruption of the Palaeoindian culture.
>
> > ************************************
> > What size asteroid do you think we need to just make the Democrats
> > go extinct ??
>
> After the next election, they will ALL be
> on the endangered species list.

In your dreams, rethuglian.

PDW

*** The Liberals are talking in their sleep again, HVAC ...

"Syd M." <pdwright42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > ************************************
> > What size asteroid do you think we need to just make the Democrats
> > go extinct ??
>
> After the next election, they will ALL be
> on the endangered species list.

In your dreams, rethuglian.

PDW
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey... I HAD A DREAM too.

Phil H
2010-04-02 19:15:59 EST
On Apr 2, 7:12 am, "Hagar" <ha...@sahm.name> wrote:
> "HVAC" <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Some 13,000 years ago the Earth was struck by thousands of Tunguska-
> sized cometary fragments over the course of an hour, leading to a
> dramatic cooling of the planet, according to astronomer Professor Bill
> Napier of the Cardiff University Astrobiology Centre.
>
> He presents his new model in the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal
> Astronomical Society.
>
> The cooling, by as much as 8°C, interrupted the warming which was
> occurring at the end of the last ice age and caused glaciers to
> readvance. Evidence has been found that this catastrophic change was
> associated with some extraordinary extraterrestrial event. The
> boundary is marked by the occurrence of a "black mat" layer a few
> centimetres thick found at many sites throughout the United States
> containing high levels of soot indicative of continental-scale
> wildfires, as well as microscopic hexagonal diamonds (nanodiamonds)
> which are produced by shocks and are only found in meteorites or
> impact craters. These findings led to the suggestion that the
> catastrophic changes of that time were caused by the impact of an
> asteroid or comet 4 km across on the Laurentide ice sheet, which at
> that time covered what would become Canada and the northern part of
> the United States.
>
> The cooling lasted over a thousand years, and its onset coincides with
> the rapid extinction of 35 genera of North American mammals, as well
> as the disruption of the Palaeoindian culture.
>
>         ************************************
> What size asteroid do you think we need to just make the Democrats
> go extinct ??

About half the size of the clanger dropped by the Rs last time around.

Phil H

Paul Joseph Watson Is CIA
2010-04-02 19:27:20 EST
On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 07:12:21 -0700, "Hagar" <hagen@sahm.name> wrote:

>"HVAC" <mr.hvac@gmail.com> wrote in message

Message ID not found. Pardon the post thru.

>Some 13,000 years ago the Earth was struck by thousands of Tunguska-
>sized cometary fragments over the course of an hour, leading to a
>dramatic cooling of the planet, according to astronomer Professor Bill
>Napier of the Cardiff University Astrobiology Centre.

Who cares, at this rate you'll never know for sure, because you REFUSE
to join the cosmos to find out!! You're never going to learn anything
clinging to Earth's skrit tails while pandering to the ridiculious and
foolish notions of a parasitic European astrocracy who would rather go
back to fedual England than join the 21st century!

>He presents his new model in the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal
>Astronomical Society. <snip>

Who the fuck cares? At this rate Mr. Shooty-Ass at the Royal
Asstronimical Sissy-society won't long enough to see next year. So
why the fuck do they care about providing their ridiculous models?!?
Eh????????

You don't need to know where you came from or where Earth came from in
order to know where you're headed.

Paul Joseph Watson Is CIA
2010-04-02 19:43:23 EST
On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 07:12:21 -0700, "Hagar" <hagen@sahm.name> wrote:

>"HVAC" <mr.hvac@gmail.com> wrote in message

Message ID not found. Pardon the post thru.

>Some 13,000 years ago the Earth was struck by thousands of Tunguska-
>sized cometary fragments over the course of an hour, leading to a
>dramatic cooling of the planet, according to astronomer Professor Bill
>Napier of the Cardiff University Astrobiology Centre.

Who cares? At this rate you'll never know for sure since you REFUSE
to join the cosmos to find out!! You're never going to learn anything
clinging to Earth's skirt tails while pandering to the egotistical,
myopic, ridiculous and foolish notions of a parasitic European
ass-trocracy who are so out of touch with reality that they would
rather go back to feudal England than grow up and join the 21st
century!

>He presents his new model in the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal
>Astronomical Society. <snip>

Who the fuck cares? At this rate Mr. Snooty-Ass at the Royal
Ass-tronomical sissy-society won't live long enough to see next year.
So why the fuck do they care about proving their ridiculous models?!?
Eh????????

You don't need to know where you came from or what happened in Earth's
past in order to know where you're headed.

And right now, you're headed straight for the human garbage dump
called extinction. And I can guarantee as the Universe hits you in
your collecgtive asses on the way out, it won't be asking His/Her
Royal Highnesses' permissions.

Complete utter morons. Rock heads.

Beam me up Scotty!!!!!!!!!

Paul Joseph Watson Is CIA
2010-04-02 20:14:05 EST
On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 13:08:52 +1000, Sir Gilligan Horry
<*M@ga7rm5er.com> wrote:

>I will be in the year 2057

No you won't.

:>