Research Discussion: No Strangelets Yet!

No Strangelets Yet!

Chatnoir
2010-03-30 10:11:26 EST
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5373101,00.html

Geneva particle accelerator sets record

Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift: The Large Hadron
Collider is the most complex machine ever builtThe world's largest -
and most controversial - atom smasher, based outside Geneva, has set a
world record by ramping up its energy output to a level three times
higher than ever achieved before.

The European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) announced on
Friday that it had circulated beams of sub-atomic protons in its Large
Hadron Collider at 3.5 trillion volts in both directions around the 27-
kilometer (17-mile) tunnel which straddles the Swiss-French border.

"This is the highest energy yet achieved in a particle accelerator,
and an important step on the way to the start of the LHC research
program," a statement issued by CERN said.

The Large Hadron Collider is designed to probe the origins of the
universe by recreating the conditions that followed the Big Bang and
to learn more about the sub-atomic structure of matter.

"We have crossed an important milestone that showed that we can reach
an energy of 3.5 TeV (tera electron volts)," said CERN spokesman James
Gillies.
Bildunterschrift: Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift:
CERN scientists hope to unlock the secrets of the universe
The next step is expected to be announced in several days when CERN
starts colliding beams in a new round of research at 7 TeV, or twice
Friday's level.

Before the LHC experiment, no particle accelerator had exceeded 0.98
TeV. One TeV is the energy equivalent expended by a flying mosquito.

German fails to prove atom smasher will end world

Meanwhile, a German woman who fears the Earth could be sucked into a
black hole by the activity of the Large Hadron Collider has lost her
court appeal to halt experiments at the CERN accelerator.

The woman, who has not been named, had gone through the German
judicial system to seek an injunction but lost her final appeal last
week at the Federal Constitutional Court in Karlsruhe.

Germany's highest court threw out the case after determining that the
woman was unable to give a coherent explanation to substantiate her
claims.

Other opponents have also sought to stop the collider, fearing either
a black hole, or a theoretical particle, known as a strangelet, which
would turn the planet into goo.

On Mar 30, 6:11 am, chatnoir <wolfbat3...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5373101,00.html
>
> Geneva particle accelerator sets record
>
> Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift: The Large Hadron
> Collider is the most complex machine ever builtThe world's largest -
> and most controversial - atom smasher, based outside Geneva, has set a
> world record by ramping up its energy output to a level three times
> higher than ever achieved before.
>
> The European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) announced on
> Friday that it had circulated beams of sub-atomic protons in its Large
> Hadron Collider at 3.5 trillion volts in both directions around the 27-
> kilometer (17-mile) tunnel which straddles the Swiss-French border.
>
> "This is the highest energy yet achieved in a particle accelerator,
> and an important step on the way to the start of the LHC research
> program," a statement issued by CERN said.
>
> The Large Hadron Collider is designed to probe the origins of the
> universe by recreating the conditions that followed the Big Bang and
> to learn more about the sub-atomic structure of matter.
>
> "We have crossed an important milestone that showed that we can reach
> an energy of 3.5 TeV (tera electron volts)," said CERN spokesman James
> Gillies.
> Bildunterschrift: Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift:
> CERN scientists hope to unlock the secrets of the universe
> The next step is expected to be announced in several days when CERN
> starts colliding beams in a new round of research at 7 TeV, or twice
> Friday's level.
>
> Before the LHC experiment, no particle accelerator had exceeded 0.98
> TeV. One TeV is the energy equivalent expended by a flying mosquito.
>
> German fails to prove atom smasher will end world
>
> Meanwhile, a German woman who fears the Earth could be sucked into a
> black hole by the activity of the Large Hadron Collider has lost her
> court appeal to halt experiments at the CERN accelerator.
>
> The woman, who has not been named, had gone through the German
> judicial system to seek an injunction but lost her final appeal last
> week at the Federal Constitutional Court in Karlsruhe.
>
> Germany's highest court threw out the case after determining that the
> woman was unable to give a coherent explanation to substantiate her
> claims.
>
> Other opponents have also sought to stop the collider, fearing either
> a black hole, or a theoretical particle, known as a strangelet, which
> would turn the planet into goo.

But how much of their proton mass is missing in action?

~ BG

Double-A
2010-03-30 12:23:40 EST
On Mar 30, 7:11 am, chatnoir <wolfbat3...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5373101,00.html
>
> Geneva particle accelerator sets record
>
> Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift: The Large Hadron
> Collider is the most complex machine ever builtThe world's largest -
> and most controversial - atom smasher, based outside Geneva, has set a
> world record by ramping up its energy output to a level three times
> higher than ever achieved before.
>
> The European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) announced on
> Friday that it had circulated beams of sub-atomic protons in its Large
> Hadron Collider at 3.5 trillion volts in both directions around the 27-
> kilometer (17-mile) tunnel which straddles the Swiss-French border.
>
> "This is the highest energy yet achieved in a particle accelerator,
> and an important step on the way to the start of the LHC research
> program," a statement issued by CERN said.
>
> The Large Hadron Collider is designed to probe the origins of the
> universe by recreating the conditions that followed the Big Bang and
> to learn more about the sub-atomic structure of matter.
>
> "We have crossed an important milestone that showed that we can reach
> an energy of 3.5 TeV (tera electron volts)," said CERN spokesman James
> Gillies.
> Bildunterschrift: Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift:
> CERN scientists hope to unlock the secrets of the universe
> The next step is expected to be announced in several days when CERN
> starts colliding beams in a new round of research at 7 TeV, or twice
> Friday's level.
>
> Before the LHC experiment, no particle accelerator had exceeded 0.98
> TeV. One TeV is the energy equivalent expended by a flying mosquito.
>
> German fails to prove atom smasher will end world
>
> Meanwhile, a German woman who fears the Earth could be sucked into a
> black hole by the activity of the Large Hadron Collider has lost her
> court appeal to halt experiments at the CERN accelerator.
>
> The woman, who has not been named, had gone through the German
> judicial system to seek an injunction but lost her final appeal last
> week at the Federal Constitutional Court in Karlsruhe.
>
> Germany's highest court threw out the case after determining that the
> woman was unable to give a coherent explanation to substantiate her
> claims.
>
> Other opponents have also sought to stop the collider, fearing either
> a black hole, or a theoretical particle, known as a strangelet, which
> would turn the planet into goo.

No strangelets yet? Famous last words! The collider is still a long
way from full power. Even when strangelets or black holes are
produced, the transformation of the Earth will probably be an
agonizingly slow process.

Double-A

On Mar 30, 8:23 am, Double-A <double...@hush.com> wrote:
> On Mar 30, 7:11 am, chatnoir <wolfbat3...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>

> >http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5373101,00.html
>
> > Geneva particle accelerator sets record
>
> > Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift: The Large Hadron
> > Collider is the most complex machine ever builtThe world's largest -
> > and most controversial - atom smasher, based outside Geneva, has set a
> > world record by ramping up its energy output to a level three times
> > higher than ever achieved before.
>
> > The European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) announced on
> > Friday that it had circulated beams of sub-atomic protons in its Large
> > Hadron Collider at 3.5 trillion volts in both directions around the 27-
> > kilometer (17-mile) tunnel which straddles the Swiss-French border.
>
> > "This is the highest energy yet achieved in a particle accelerator,
> > and an important step on the way to the start of the LHC research
> > program," a statement issued by CERN said.
>
> > The Large Hadron Collider is designed to probe the origins of the
> > universe by recreating the conditions that followed the Big Bang and
> > to learn more about the sub-atomic structure of matter.
>
> > "We have crossed an important milestone that showed that we can reach
> > an energy of 3.5 TeV (tera electron volts)," said CERN spokesman James
> > Gillies.
> > Bildunterschrift: Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift:
> > CERN scientists hope to unlock the secrets of the universe
> > The next step is expected to be announced in several days when CERN
> > starts colliding beams in a new round of research at 7 TeV, or twice
> > Friday's level.
>
> > Before the LHC experiment, no particle accelerator had exceeded 0.98
> > TeV. One TeV is the energy equivalent expended by a flying mosquito.
>
> > German fails to prove atom smasher will end world
>
> > Meanwhile, a German woman who fears the Earth could be sucked into a
> > black hole by the activity of the Large Hadron Collider has lost her
> > court appeal to halt experiments at the CERN accelerator.
>
> > The woman, who has not been named, had gone through the German
> > judicial system to seek an injunction but lost her final appeal last
> > week at the Federal Constitutional Court in Karlsruhe.
>
> > Germany's highest court threw out the case after determining that the
> > woman was unable to give a coherent explanation to substantiate her
> > claims.
>
> > Other opponents have also sought to stop the collider, fearing either
> > a black hole, or a theoretical particle, known as a strangelet, which
> > would turn the planet into goo.
>
> No strangelets yet?  Famous last words!  The collider is still a long
> way from full power.  Even when strangelets or black holes are
> produced, the transformation of the Earth will probably be an
> agonizingly slow process.
>
> Double-A

Are they still losing track of their collided proton mass?

~ BG

On Mar 30, 8:23 am, Double-A <double...@hush.com> wrote:
> On Mar 30, 7:11 am, chatnoir <wolfbat3...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>

> >http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5373101,00.html

Are they still losing track of their collided proton mass?

~ BG

***********************************
Nagatory, old buddy ... there's an illegal Yurpn immigrant from
Bumfuck, Egypt, close to where the beams cross paths, who is
keeping track of them on a yellow writing pad, with a well
sharpened #2 pencil.

On Mar 30, 9:53 am, "Hagar" <ha...@sahm.name> wrote:

> On Mar 30, 8:23 am, Double-A <double...@hush.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 30, 7:11 am, chatnoir <wolfbat3...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > >http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5373101,00.html
>
>         Are they still losing track of their collided proton mass?
>
>  ~ BG
>
>           ***********************************
> Nagatory, old buddy ... there's an illegal Yurpn immigrant from
> Bumfuck, Egypt, close to where the beams cross paths, who is
> keeping track of them on a yellow writing pad, with a well
> sharpened #2 pencil.

In other words, your ZNR redneck trailer park physics hasn't a clue.

~ BG

On Mar 30, 9:53 am, "Hagar" <ha...@sahm.name> wrote:

> On Mar 30, 8:23 am, Double-A <double...@hush.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 30, 7:11 am, chatnoir <wolfbat3...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > >http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5373101,00.html
>
> Are they still losing track of their collided proton mass?
>
> ~ BG
>
> ***********************************
> Nagatory, old buddy ... there's an illegal Yurpn immigrant from
> Bumfuck, Egypt, close to where the beams cross paths, who is
> keeping track of them on a yellow writing pad, with a well
> sharpened #2 pencil.

In other words, your ZNR redneck trailer park physics hasn't a clue.

~ BG

**********************************

Negatory, old buddy ... we do, you don't ...

On Mar 30, 11:08 am, "Hagar" <ha...@sahm.name> wrote:

> On Mar 30, 9:53 am, "Hagar" <ha...@sahm.name> wrote:
>

> > "Brad Guth" <bradg...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Are they still losing track of their collided proton mass?
>
> > ~ BG
>
> > ***********************************
> > Nagatory, old buddy ... there's an illegal Yurpn immigrant from
> > Bumfuck, Egypt, close to where the beams cross paths, who is
> > keeping track of them on a yellow writing pad, with a well
> > sharpened #2 pencil.
>
> In other words, your ZNR redneck trailer park physics hasn't a clue.
>
>  ~ BG
>
>         **********************************
>
>         Negatory, old buddy ... we do, you don't ...

Your proof-positive of knowing squat and caring even less is noted.

~ BG

Bast
2010-03-30 17:43:59 EST

Hagar wrote:
> "Brad Guth" <bradguth@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mar 30, 8:23 am, Double-A <double...@hush.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 30, 7:11 am, chatnoir <wolfbat3...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>

>>> http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5373101,00.html
>>

> Are they still losing track of their collided proton mass?
>
> ~ BG
>
> ***********************************
> Nagatory, old buddy ... there's an illegal Yurpn immigrant from
> Bumfuck, Egypt, close to where the beams cross paths, who is
> keeping track of them on a yellow writing pad, with a well
> sharpened #2 pencil.

Yup. results are publicly posted on the bulletin-boards in all Geneva
Walmart stores every Tuesday.

On Mar 30, 6:11 am, chatnoir <wolfbat3...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5373101,00.html
>
> Geneva particle accelerator sets record

Strangelets finally discovered. They are similar to BuckyBalls in lattice
structure, but due to their extreme density, irrational and unpredictable
behavior and ... well ... strangeness, they were called GuthBalls.

Tests to determine the mental break-down values are presently under way.
The LHC may not be able to produce the ultimate GuthBall breakdown
power, in which case scientists will use up to five freight train
locomotives,
connected in tandem.